Chapter 1

One Afternoon

Chapter 1

Taeyeon was never someone who made friends easily. She was cautious, sometimes even borderline timid when it came to meeting new people. She has little enemies, and even lesser friends. Not that it really bothered her because dealing with people can be draining. At some point in her life, Taeyeon had convinced herself that it was easier this way.

But really, was it easier that way?

Her breath hitched when she saw her walk into the café. Yes, similar to those cliché movies when the male lead fall in love with the female lead at the first sight. Except Taeyeon was in no way close to falling in love.

She was nursing her cup of tea in the café, enjoying the rare afternoon off. Being a journalist, she was used to the clockwork-like routine of rushing datelines till wee hours, downing cups of cheap coffee in plastic cup just to stay awake to finish editing. Hence, more than anything else, she looked forward to her off days where she would spend a peaceful weekday afternoon watching the crowd pass her by, penning her seemingly random thoughts on to a notepad that she brings with her everywhere she goes. It is not the most interesting thing to do on an off day, especially for a journalist, but for Taeyeon, there isn’t anywhere she wanted to be.

The girl was loud, borderline chaotic as she stepped into the café with a couple of friends. Taeyeon found it difficult not to stare, or rather glare at the small group simply because of their sheer volume.

She was never a judgemental person, but she was pretty much annoyed at the pink dress wearing girl from the get-go. She was the loudest, seemingly the “leader” of the group. Ushering the group to the table right next to where Taeyeon was seated, giving drinks recommendations to her friends like she was the boss of the café, and then loudly declaring that she should be the one making the orders at the counter.

Taeyeon let out a soft sigh, turned up the volume of her headphones and went back to scribbling on her notepad. She was determined to not let anyone or anything ruin her day for her.

However, she quickly found her concentration once again disrupted when the girl returned to her seat carrying a tray full of drinks and snacks. The said girl happily distributed the drinks to her friends while confidently assuring her friends that she had gotten the best drinks in the planet for them.

Taeyeon scoffed at the girl’s bold declaration as she eyes the cups of ice blended, frosty drinks sitting on the table. Sure, if you insist.

She tried to get back to writing but found it almost impossible to concentrate. The small group only got louder with the girl taking lead. The final straw came when the said girl suddenly got up from her seat and did a somewhat comical rendition of an old trot song. Taeyeon might have found it funny on other days, but today was not one of those days.

She exhaled loudly and tapped her pen on the desk in annoyance. Her micro reactions towards the group were not gone unnoticed by the blonde girl amongst the group who tugged her overly excited friend’s hand to sit her down.

“Hm?” The girl looked down at her friend, obviously unpleased by the disruption. “Why! I am not done yet!”

“Come on, we are in public.” The blonde girl then whispered something to her friend, which then earned Taeyeon a quick glance from the girl, followed by a pout before settling back on her seat.

From her peripheral vision. Taeyeon could see the girl looking at her before quickly looking away and pouting. Pout? How old is she even? Taeyeon shook her head. I might have found you reasonably cute if you weren’t such a chatterbox.

She tried to get back to her writing but she knew today was not her day the moment the group stepped into the café. What was supposed to be an afternoon of peace, quiet and writing has turned into an afternoon of noise pollution, childish renditions of old trot songs and annoyance. What an afternoon. Oh well.

She closed her notepad and started to pack her bag. She quickly stuffed everything into her bag pack, not realizing that her trusty pen has dropped on the floor. Not giving sparing a glance to the group that has given her so much annoyance the entire afternoon, she left the café after a cursory wave to the baristas at the counter.

==

“Seriously though, that girl is so annoying.” She folded her arms and sank her body into the cushy leather seat as she watched the back view of the short girl leaving the café.

“Come on Tiffany, you can’t expect everyone to be just like you.” The blonde girl remarked.

“Neither can she expect everyone to be like her, Hyoyeon.”

She was just scanning around the café while sipping her drink when she swore she saw something shiny on the ground next to their table. She squinted her eyes a little and realized that it was a pen. The girl was close to the pen so all she had to do was to reach forward to pick the pen from the ground.

It was an old-school fountain pen. The pen was silver in colour with a glossy finish. She examined the exquisite looking pen and saw words carved in a cursive font on the pen. Kim Taeyeon? She frowned as she tried to gather her thoughts. The girl quickly concluded that it must have belonged to the stern-looking girl who sat beside them earlier.

“This looks pretty expensive.” She showed the pen that she had just picked up to her friends.

“Yeah it does.” The blonde girl took a closer look at the pen.

“Who still uses such old school pen today anyway” Another friend commented.

Although she was somewhat peeved by the girl, she reasoned that the pen might have been a precious item for the owner. She carefully tucked the pen into her handbag with the intention of returning it to its owner.

“Hyo, do you think that girl is a regular here?”

“Probably? I saw her waving to the baristas before she left.”

The girl nodded her head in agreement and made a mental note to return to the café the next afternoon.

==

Taeyeon changed into her pyjamas to get ready for bed. She liked wearing old, worn out pyjamas. Ever since she was a little girl, she had a habit of making to- do list right before bed. She dug her bag for her trusty pen. The only pen that she would use from the time she received it from her father years ago.

She frowned and rested her arms on her hips. Where is it? Taeyeon searched her bag thoroughly several times. Where could it be? Could I have dropped it at the café this afternoon? The pen was an important possession for her but there was nothing that she could do. She settled in her bed, deciding to check with the café the first thing tomorrow.

Tears slowly welled up her eyes as she recalled the memories behind the fountain pen. For her, reliving old memories were never the nicest thing to do.

“Taeyeon ah, happy birthday!” He handed her a box all wrapped up with a cute bow on top. “Open it!”

Taeyeon received the box excitedly and ripped the gift wrap off immediately. Her smile soon turned into a slight frown when she saw the foreign English branding on the black box. Montblanc.

The man took the box and opened it. “Montblanc fountain pen. Every self-respecting writer needs a good pen.” He smiled and waited for his daughter’s reaction. “Appa had one too.” He added on, hoping this will change his girl’s mind about the pen.

Upon hearing that, the girl broke into a smile. “Yes! When I grow up, I want to be just like Appa!” She grinned and hugged the box tightly.

She wiped her wet eyes and tried to fall asleep as old memories hit her like waves in a choppy sea.