Tampons and Other Things

Convenience Store Boy

After Child Development was my three hour break until I had my elective class which was Mandarin. This was the time I went into the cafeteria to have lunch with everyone but as I walked into the student filled room, I saw Chanyeol's back facing me at the table we would usually sit at if nobody was sitting there. Everyone was laughing around him and I knew once I got there it would have been awkward since we didn't tell anyone we broke up. I stopped suddenly and Aerin look at me with a confused look.

"Why did you just stop?" she asked me. I had to come up with an excuse and fast.

"Uhh... I think I just got my period. You know that feeling? Right?" I wanted to hit myself in the head for coming up with that. "I'm going to go back to my room and check just in case."

I watch Aerin try and process what I had just said. Now she really was confused. But then the look washed away and she laughed. "Yeah. I don't blame you. Good thing you felt it now instead of later when it would have been a problem. I'll tell everyone at the table you had to go see your coach."

Sighing in relief, I thought that this is why Aerin is my best friend. Even though at times she was very gullible, she had my back. "Thanks. I'll text you later?" I started walking backwards almost out of the cafeteria. Aerin nodded and started walking straight to our friends.

Once I turned around to leave, a strong force bumped into me. Making me stumble back but I caught my balance before I toppled over. "I'm sorry, I wasn't watching where I was going." I told him, bowing and looking up to see if I knew the person, which I highly doubt. Yet a saw a boy, maybe a two or three inches taller than me. He didn't look mad, he just smiled kindly.

"No problem." he said. His smile was slowly changing into a smirk the longer we stood there. "You are Lee Junhee right? The captain of the volleyball? I totally saw when you blew the game because you looked like you were lost in space. I don't know how you even show your face after what happened, everyone is talking about it."

I really don't know if he was trying to be mean but with the devillish smirk he had, I felt horrible about myself. "Yeah... so I have been hearing." I looked away from him and down at my shoes, feeling horrible about myself. Finally gaining the courage I walked away from him and then once I was out of his sight, I booked it out of the building and ran all the way to my dorm room.

Once I opened my door to my room, I locked it behind me and went straight to the small bathroom that was in it. I gripped the sides of the sink and looked up at myself in the mirror. My hair was a mess from running across campus and there was even sweat all over my face to prove it. I was just tired of people talking about everything I did wrong during the game on Saturday.

First those girls who I overheard and then that guy who had to point it out to me when I already knew it. No one in the halls came up to me and asked if I was alright because you know, the ball knocked me out. All they cared about was my faults. Not my setting skills or how well I serve the ball. I was just tired of this and it hasn't been two days since everything happened.

 

~ * ~

 

Turns out I was on my period. Call it my fabulous girl skills or just pure luck but I had to make a trip to the convience store for some "supplies." My cramps were finally starting to come slowly but painfully. So when that happens I need chocolate and tons of it. I'm really glad I went back to my room though and didn't stay in the cafeteria.

I had another hour and a half till my next class so I have to quickly run to convenience store that is down the street from the campus. Just in case I didn't have time to make it back to my room before my class started I grabbed my bag with my notebook and my textbooks for Mandarin.

Instead of running, I decided to walk because the residences weren't that far from where I needed to go. With my hood up and my headphones in, I tried to stay away from everyone's looks. Even trying to avoid my friends was my goal for today. I really don't know when I will be able to face them and tell them that Chanyeol and I aren't together anymore.

I really think that I'm handling this break up rather smoothly. 

And I thought I was until out of the corner of my eye, I saw Chanyeol with that girl who I don't recongnize but knew that it was the girl from Saturday. The girl who he has been seeing behind my back from the last two months. I saw him smiling brightly at her and he was laughing. He looked happy and I missed the way he would look at me like that. Those nights where we would be lying in my bed just laughing at stories like the time my older brother slipped on ice and fell face first into a pile of snow or the time that his dad would make funny faces behind his mom when we would visit them for the weekend. I missed being in his arms. But now all that was gone. It slipped right through my fingers and I didn't even know he was gone.

Tears unknowingly slid down my cheeks and I quickly brushed my sleeve across my face to get rid of them. I continued walking to the store in a fast pace now, I didn't want him to notice me just standing there, watching him. 

There was a small amount of me that was frustrated because Chanyeol even told me that he was going to stop seeing her. Yet I think he only told me that was to make me feel somewhat better about the whole situation.

Finally I made it to the convenience store. I entered and went straight to the feminine product area. For a 7-11 they had a decent selection of different brands. Grabbing my usual brand of tampons quickly, I hid it under my arm because it was still embarrassing for me. Then I made my way to the candy aisle. The amount of chocolate they had made me really happy. So I grabbed three chocolate bars then for a distraction item, I grabbed a Cosmoplotian magazine too. 

Making my way up to the check out counter, I placed the chocolate and magazine on the counter. Before I could even put the tampons on there, the male cashier stopped me by speaking up.

"Did your boyfriend just break up with you or something?" he questioned, obviously trying to joke about it. I looked up from under my hood with my red, swollen eyes from crying the whole way here. Instantly he looked sorry and he better have been.

"Actually yeah but I'm not here for that." I said, straight forwardly then placed the box of tampons on the counter with a bit of force, making a slaming noise.

His eyes widened and he instantly went back to his job, scanning the items. "That'll be 9,560 won." he told me while putting the things in a plastic bag for me.

I put a bill on the counter. "Here." I muttered, angered by him.

"Thanks." he looked closely at me for a second then went straight to get my change. "Aren't you Lee Junhee?"

Oh no. He was going to start up about my mistakes during the tournament. I have had enough with this. All I wanted was tampons. I get go anywhere without being criticized. "Yeah I am. And I know I lost the game for my team. I know I'm captain. I know I should quit the team. I just know!" I started shouting by the end of my outburst.

The boy looked shocked. "No... I was just going to ask you if you were okay. I saw the fall you had. It looked like it hurt." he told me, quietly. He was probably now afraid of me.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I took the change and my plastic bag then made a bee line for the door. I felt really bad for just leaving like that since he was one of the first people to ask me how I was. Yet he made the joke about my boyfriend breaking up with me even though he obivously didn't mean what he said.

I'm really sorry.

 

~ * ~

 

After a chocolate bar and a few minutes to collect myself, I felt better. But with Luhan yapping my ear off in Mandarin class, a headache starting coming to me. 

"I don't even know why you are in this class." I rubbed my temples and said to Luhan. "You are Chinese and this is your first language."

"Shh." Luhan put his hand over my mouth. "Mrs. Sun doesn't know. Plus you think since I am an international student from China, she would know who I am."

I grabbed his wrist and removed his gross hand from my mouth. I rolled my eyes. "You're impossible."

"Even my name is Chinese. Like how does she not notice? I'm getting full marks on the tests and when midterms come by then I'm going to get perfect." he went on and on about how he does so well in this class. Well no duh because he is Chinese. Sometimes I really don't understand him.

"Maybe because the professor has a thing for you." I raised an eyebrow at him. "Mrs. Sun has always been looking at you during the lectures."

"Really?" he smirked. "But isn't she like 40 and married with kids?"

"Yeah but I don't think that is stopping her from eyeing you like your a piece of meat." I tried to get back to doing the basic questions on a worksheet. This class I was really trying hard because I always wanted to learn another language and when I met Luhan he peer pressured me into learning Mandarin so he can talk in his native language around somebody he knew. 

I always tried to get him to hang out with the other Chinese international students but he won't budge.

"Okay, lets not talk about this anymore. I'm getting creeped out now." Luhan shuttered, then leaned on the desk while staring at me. "So why weren't you at the lunch table earlier today? I know your coach didn't want to see you."

How was this kid so scarily accurate? He somehow always knows what's up. But I tried to shrug it off. "I don't know, had to go back to my dorm room."

"Bull. ." he louldly said and the people around us must of heard him because they quickly turned around, giving him death glares. I punched his shoulder, making him cower. "Why did you do that?"

"You're being too loud." I told him with a stern look.

"I feel bad for Chanyeol, you are way too violent. I imagine your a rough person in bed." he laughed.  Meanwhile I was stunned for a second, I in some air and pretty much held my breath. I don't know why I did that. For a second I was going to hit him again and laugh but I forgot. Chanyeol and I aren't together anymore.

Luhan's mouth dropped. He could tell how I reacted. "You and Chanyeol... Are you still together? Because today at lunch, Chanyeol looked off and something about his happy atomosphere was different."

I looked away from him and tried to focus of the Chinese characters in front of me. 

My first bit of luck finally came to me because as Luhan was about to keep talking, the professor dismissed us for the day. I didn't bother putting away my stuff, I just grabbed it and swung my backpack over a shoulder and practically ran down out of the room and went out of the nearest door to get fresh air. I felt so suffocated by that one question. I know we were broken up and I should accept it because he moved on but I just couldn't. I loved him so much.

Hot tears started b and soon they started to slid down my face like a stream. One tear after another. It was late in the evening so they wasn't anybody really walking around in the dark so I didn't have to worry about people seeing me break down.

I felt a hand on my back and I turned to see who it was, even though it was obvious who it was, and I saw Luhan looking at me so cautiously like I was a frail piece of glass that would break even with the lightest touch.

Without taking his hand from my back, he sat beside me on the bench. He pulled me closer to him, letting me cry on his shoulder. His hand went in circular motions as he rubbed my back. It was soothing but I sobbed.

"I will wait until you tell me at the right time."

 

~ * ~

 

Luhan had brought me back to my dorm room after I finished most of my crying. He shielded me from people in case they saw my tear stricken face. 

Only until he tucked me into my bed, did he say something else. "You feeling better?" he asked me so sincerely.

I nodded. "Yeah." 

Wrapping my comforter around me tigther, Luhan started to smile at me now. He was Chanyeol's best friend and I don't know how he will feel about what happened. That's the reason why I didn't want to tell anyone. Chanyeol cheated and I don't want his friends to hate him. It was my fault for not paying attention to him.

"Chanyeol and I did break up." I mumbled, hoping Luhan didn't hear.

His smile disappearedand I instantly regretted saying it. "Oh Junhee, I'm so sorry." he said in a hushed tone. "You guys loved each other."

Usually Luhan was always a funny guy who used sarcasm way too much. But now, he was serious but kind to me. I knew he was sorry because he knew how happy I was with Chanyeol.

"Well I guess we fell out of love with each other." I shrugged then tried hiding under my comforter because I was embarrassed to be this vulnerable in front of him. Especially since he was best friends with Chanyeol.

Luhan tried to pull the covers down but I fought back because I didn't want to be seen. "Come on, Junhee. You can talk to me about it." he tried to coax me.

I peeked only my eyes from under the covers. I saw Luhan smile at me. "I feels like my heart is broken into pieces." I cried to him. "I feel so small."

He caressed the side of my face. "Yeah but so are stars from a distance." he leaned down and kissed my forehead. "Everything will be alright, my little star."

 

~ * ~

 

"Get your high heels and tight dress! There is a party on Friday that we aren't missing!" Gaeun cheered at the lunch table. Everyone was here including Chanyeol. It was awkward for both of us considering that Luhan was the only one that knew of our situation. We tried to remain as normal as possible but it really .

I looked to Gaeun. "Do I really have to go?" As much as alcohol sounds really pleasant to me right now, I don't really want to be social until everything was a bit more normal and toned down to me.

"Yeah, go. It'll be good for you." Luhan spoke up and I changed my sight to him. Even Chanyeol was looking at him out of the corned of my eye. Then Chanyeol turned to me and gave me a weird look. 

Maybe I should get out? Not to meet a guy but just to try and make me feel better. After a minute and constant stares at me, I nodded. "Fine. I'll go but you have to do my makeup." 

Gaeun smiled. "Of course, I'm sure Chanyeol will like the y look on you." she smirked at the two of us.

Even I did have a somewhat happy look on my face then it disappeared as soon as she said that. Chanyeol tensed up beside me. I think we should tell them. I was ready to because I wanted to get over him, even if I still did love him... my friends should atleast know why we aren't the way we use to be.

"Actually... the truth is," I started. A hand placed itself on my thigh, knowing it was Chanyeol. He probably wanted me to stop because he probably thought that I was going to tell them how we broke up. "Chanyeol and I aren't together anymore. We broke up."

Collective gasps and shocked looks were on our friend's faces. Chanyeol's grip tightened. He was nervous but I was too nice and a pushover that I wouldn't throw him out to the sharks. "I guess we just fell outta love with each other. It was a mutual break up. We weren't the way that we used to be but we decided to stay friends." I told them with a broken smile. Really I tried to reassure them.

Chanyeol released his grasp on my leg and I let out a breath of relief.

"Oh." Gaeun said, looking strangely surprised.

I nudged Chanyeol so he could say something to everyone. He flinched but realized what I wanted him to do. "Yeah, don't worry guys. We're okay." he smiled his usual bright, cheery smile.

Well you might. But I'm not. He looked to me with his smile and I couldn't help but smile as well.

"That's good but we are sorry to hear." Minseok finally had spoken. He was the more reasonable one in the group other than me. He understood because he had just broken up with his girlfriend of a year awhile back. Though he kept to himself a lot and never really told us why they broke up. We never pestered him, well I never pestered him. Luhan had that job covered.

"Don't worry, it was a long time coming." I replied. But I turned to Chanyeol. "Are you going to go to the party?"

"Uhh... yeah, I g-guess." he stuttered out.

 


authours note; hey. hows it going? you liking this story so far? yeah, me too. i'm trying the comedy-ish aspect but i'm just too much of an angsty writer.

remember the gif of luhan mouthing 'bull' when thats what i thought of when he said it in this chapter.

and i have a feeling that someone is going to say 'i ship luhan and junhee' or 'where is baekhyun?!' but just wait my little ones... the time will come when everyone is explained! ♥♥