Chapter 8: Summer Scorch

Autumn Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Sorry it took so long to update, you guys. This chapter was a little bit of a struggle for me. Hopefully the next one won’t be as painful to write. Thank you for your continuous support! To all my muslim brothers and sisters, Eid Mubarak (in advance)! :)

                ~ ~ ~

“Afraid to Love

I turn away
and close my heart—
to the promise of love
that is luring.

For the past has taught
to not be caught,
in what is not
worth pursuing—

To never do
the things I've done
that once had led
to my undoing.”

 

- Lang Leav; Love & Misadventure

~ ~ ~

** Busan - Summer, 2013 **

There were not many things that scare Kim Jong Kook. But having the nozzle of a gun resting against his temple shook him to his very core. Although for certain he knew that the gun was blank, a shot at this range would still be able to injure him permanently, if he was lucky. He clenched his jaw and looked over the shoulder of the perpetrator, to the man sitting behind the table. His stare hardened. Han Dong Joon smirked at Jong Kook’s naive bravery. He wondered what was it about his niece that got men falling to their knees for her. He made a mistake thinking hiring Kim Jong Kook would be a solution. But that wench bewitched him into falling for her instead. Now, here he was, on his knees, begging him to let him go. Hah! A man his size, begging him. He will burn this moment in his memory forever.

Dong Joon slowly got up from his chair and walked round the table towards the kneeling Jong Kook. He waved his hand to Joo Ji Hoon to move away. Ji Hoon nodded at his boss and put away his gun. He stepped away from them and stood to the side. Dong Joon slowly crouched down to Jong Kook’s eye level.

“Tell me, Jong Kook-sshi. Isn’t what I offered enough that you had to come in here begging for more?” Dong Joon sneered.

Jong Kook swallowed his pride and bowed, his voice low, “I’ve done what you’ve asked of me. I’ve found you the loophole in the will. I’m not asking for more. I’m asking for an exchange. My money, for her life.”

“You mean MY money.” Dong Joon smirked. “You’re asking for a lot, Kim Jong Kook-sshi.”

Jong Kook looked up sharply at the man before him. “She is your niece, your family. Why are you doing this?”

“Family?” Dong Joon laughed. “Song Ji Hyo will never be family because Song Ji Hyo never existed. That is the flaw in that will! You were the one that dug that out! How dare you tell me she’s family,” Dong Joon sneered as he brought his face closer to Jong Kook. “Welcome to the real world, Kim Jong Kook-sshi. Lesson 1, blood is power. You’d do well to remember that.”

Dong Joon stood up and walked away from Jong Kook. He paused and looked over his shoulder, “You have been a great help, Kim Jong Kook-sshi. I am at least thankful to you. So, I’ll grant you one thing.” He turned back and looked out his window. “I’ll except your exchange, but on my conditions. I will spare her, for now. And in exchange, you will detach yourself from her life. From this moment on, you are not to associate yourself with her. Cut off all your ties. If you are able to do that for the rest of your life, she will not be harmed. Are you willing to do so?”

Jong Kook’s eyes widened. There he was, stuck at a crossroad, both leading to a destination he was unwilling to venture to. Like being torn from the seams, he knew either way Ji Hyo will be hurt. She will never know how much the decision he was about to make was killing him inside. Tears were stinging at the back of his eyes as a lump began to form in his throat. “Allow me see her just one more time.” Jong Kook croaked.

Dong Joon scoffed.

“You are a real piece of work, Jong Kook-sshi. Have I not been generous enough? Do you find me to be naïve like you? I am where I am because I take no chances and I make no mistakes. No more negotiations, Kim Jong Kook-sshi.” Dong Joon gestured for Ji Hoon. Ji Hoon marched towards him and handed him an envelope. Dong Joon twisted around and threw the envelope in front of Jong Kook. “That is a cheque for 1 billion KRW. I believe that is more than enough for you to start a new life away from here.”

Jong Kook shakily reached for the envelope and got off the floor. He walked towards Dong Joon. From the corner of his eye, he could see Ji Hoon reaching for his glock. He stopped right behind the older man; only inches separated them. Jong Kook threw the envelope on the table in front of them. “One day, Han Dong Joon-sshi, you will realize that money cannot buy you everything.” Jong Kook hissed as he leaned in close to Dong Joon’s ear. “Keep your money. I do not need it.”

Jong Kook then swiveled around and walked away. “You will regret not taking my offer, Kim Jong Kook-sshi.” Dong Joon called out just as Jong Kook reached for the door. Unaffected, Jong Kook opened the door and left the office, slamming the door close behind him. Dong Joon strode to his chair and sat down, leaning back and resting his elbows on the arms of the chair. He laced his fingers together and stared at the door, contemplating. Ji Hoon stepped towards him. “Do you need me to take care of them, Sajang-nim?”

Dong Joon held up a hand, his eyes still trained at the closed door Jong Kook had just walked out from. “Ani. Not yet. Let them enjoy the peace a while more.”

“Aren’t you concerned that he will tell her the truth?” Ji Hoon inquired.

Dong Joon shook his head. “Telling her the truth will only reveal that he had been using her all this time. Kim Jong Kook might be naïve, but he is not stupid. Losing her trust is not an option to him. He would rather have her hate him than have her lose her trust in him.” Dong Joon smirked, an idea formulating in his head.

~ ~ ~

** Seoul - Autumn, 2015 **

Ji Hyo ran towards Gary, jumped and pushed him back with her lifted knee. Not waiting for him to recover, she engaged him in two spinning kicks, which Gary successfully dodged in reflex. Gary counter attacked with a jab and a right hook before dropping to the ground in a sweep. Ji Hyo effortlessly blocked his attacks but was a millisecond too slow to register the sweep, causing her to fall flat on the mat. She rolled over immediately as Gary stomped his foot where she had just laid. She sprung up and threw him multiple jabs but Gary was quick enough to block them. Ji Hyo then ended with an uppercut to his chin, knocking him over. A little disoriented from her unexpected move, he didn’t notice Ji Hyo leg as she swept him to the ground. This time it was him who fell flat on the floor.

Ji Hyo jumped over him, locking her legs over his waist and her feet on his knees; she pushed her forearm onto his throat and brought her other hand to deliver the final jab. Gary expertly slipped his leg from her locked position and threw it over her shoulder. His foot grasped her collarbone and pushed her off him, the power causing her to tumble and slide across the mat. Gary pushed himself to his feet just as Ji Hyo recovered. She looked at him with a glint in her eyes. She didn’t hesitate to immediately rush to him countering him with a continuous high kick, jab and knee combo. Gary struggled to block her continuous attacks. Ji Hyo shifted to a series of side kicks, constantly moving forward on one foot, shoving Gary backwards bit by bit. She then spun around and delivered a hook kick to the side of Gary’s head.

Gary however, was quick to realize her move and caught her by her ankle and elbowed her under her knee, bending it, causing her to stumble. But Ji Hyo’s reflex gave her a chance to grab Gary by his collar and bring him down with her. They rolled over each before Ji Hyo ended up on top of him again. But this time, his legs were hooked tightly around her waist. She panted tried hard to loosen herself. Her moment’s distraction allowed Gary to roll them over. He was now on top of her, lightly sitting on her stomach his hands holding down hers by the wrists at the side of her head.

Ji Hyo stopped struggling as exhaustion began to finally seep in. So she just laid on the mat, motionless, panting. Her long hair that was in a high ponytail had loosened and tendrils fell, plastering itself on her face. She stared at the man hovering above her, his face matted with sweat, his hair falling into his eyes. Her eyes travelled down his face until it reached his parted lips. She wondered, for a second, what it was like to taste it. Her eyes widened slightly at the sudden thought. She cleared .

Gary was not as unaffected as he pretended to be. Who in their right mind would not be stirred by a beautiful woman, lying on the ground, hair matted to her face, her ample chest heaving as she panted and her pouty lips parted as she tried to catch her bre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter