Chapter 14: Winter Fade

Autumn Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I apologize for the late update. I had this chapter written for quite awhile but upon re-reading, I wanted to change quite a bit of it and it took a whole re-write. I’m really sorry for making you guys wait. But, wait no longer! Here’s chapter 14! Enjoy!

 

“Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead.”

-  Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard’s Almanack

 

 

** Angel Cafe - Winter, 2015 - Day **

 

Ha Dong Hoon never wanted to be a police officer, much less a detective. He never did well in school, nor was he a law abiding citizen. If one were to look him up on police records, they’d probably find a bucket load of offences from the minimal speeding tickets to assault. So, it was a wonder how he now stands on the other side of the law. If his life was a drama, he would probably be written as someone who went through a traumatic event that changed him for the better, met a mentor who guided him back to the right path and such. But no, this was reality and the reality was he just wanted to beat people up without getting punished by the authorities, well, most of the time. It’s selfish, but that’s the truth. And another truth was currently sitting in front of him, sipping a cup of coffee as if the world was just fine and dandy.

 

He took in the unkempt appearance; the long hair, the beard, the tattered cap shielding a pair of piercing eyes. If he thought that this was going to help him blend in, he was not particularly achieving his goal. Haha had lost count of the number of people that had taken a second look at them whenever they walked past their table. How he had been able to stay unrecognised was beyond Haha's comprehension. Haha rolled his eyes.

“Annoying, isn’t it? Your conscience?” The man stated as he studied the shorter man in front of him.

“Not as annoying as you’re being right now, Choi Min Soo-sshi.” Haha replied, as he leaned forward, resting his forearms on the table in front of him.

“Patience, Inspector Ha. Give me a moment to enjoy my coffee, will you. It’s not everyday I come back to life.” Min Soo took another sip of his coffee before placing the cup down on the table. He let out a breath.

“Aigoo… what a great day to be alive.” He stated as he stretched and glanced at his surroundings, eyes sweeping the area for any suspicious characters. Satisfied that they were not being watched, he turned serious. He slid a clumsily torn piece of paper across the table towards Haha.

“That’s all I can get as of now. Sorry for the tear, I was in a rush.”

Haha grabbed the paper, unfolded it and read through its contents. He frowned.

“That’s not possible.” He said in disbelief.

“You’d be surprise what people can do with money, for the sake of money. What was that saying? Money is the root of all evil? Or some like that?”

“You’re risking a lot coming out in the open like this, Min Soo-sshi.” Haha stated as he pocketed the paper securely in his jacket.

“Ji Hyo is my sister. I’ve looked out for her since she was a child. I’m not about to stop now.”

Haha nodded. He glanced at his watch and stood. “Thank you for this. We’ll keep in touch.” And just as he was about to leave, he turned his head and looked over his shoulder. “The rugged look suits you. You should consider keeping it as long term.” Haha snickered, turning back and left.

Min Soo raised an eyebrow and unconsciously brought his hand to his bearded chin, it as he watched as the detective’s disappearing back. He reached into his pocket and took out another piece of paper, the other half of what was supposed to be given to Haha. He stared at the names listed on the paper, it was messy, but not unreadable. “What are you up to, Kim Jong Kook?”

 

 

** Seoul National University Hospital - Winter, 2015 - Day **

 

Gary sat by the small bed, his hands clasping Ji Hyo’s, his eyes fixed on the monitor in front of him.

“There it is.” Hyo Joo said as she moved the probe on Ji Hyo’s abdomen; the device transmitting the image onto the monitor in front of them. She reached out her other hand to the knob by the screen, turning up the volume. A steady sound of heartbeat filled the room. “It’s strong,” she commented.

“Just like the mother.” Gary replied, bringing Ji Hyo’s hand to his lips, kissing it. Ji Hyo couldn’t take her eyes off the monitor screen. That small little dot was her baby, their baby. She smiled, tearing a little. “Shall I print this for you?” Hyo Joo asked.

“Neh.” Ji Hyo whispered.

Hyo Joo proceeded to print the image and clean up the gel left on Ji Hyo’s abdomen. Once done, Gary helped Ji Hyo down from the bed. “Why don’t the both of you wait in my office, I’ll be right out with the photo.” Hyo Joo suggested. Gary noded and both he and Ji Hyo left the room through the connecting door to the consultation room.

Minutes later, Hyo Joo came in and sat across from them. She passed them a small envelope which Gary gladly received. Hyo Joo studied the couple in front of her, a warm smiled plastered on her face. For a moment she wondered when she’ll find a love like that. A fleeting thought suddenly brought her back to reality, and her smile faded.

“Unnie, Gary-sshi, as much as I hate to do this, but as a doctor, I’m obligated to give my professional opinion,” Hyo Joo began. “You are currently 8 weeks long. If you carry this baby to full term, there will be complications. Ones that may risk your life. There is still time for you to-”

“No.” Ji Hyo interrupted. Taken aback, Hyo Joo’s eyes widened in shock. “Mianhae, Hyo Joo-ah. But I’m not aborting this baby.”

“Unnie…”

“Hyo Joo-sshi, I’m sure there are steps that we can take, procedures we can go through...” Gary began.

“Gary-sshi. Forgive me, but you have no idea about how serious this is. The accident unnie was in 12 years ago caused serious damage to the lining in her uterus. It will not be able to sustain a full term pregnancy. It’s just not scientifically possible.” Hyo Joo countered.

She turned her attention back to Ji Hyo. “If you go through with this, there is a 90% chance your uterus will rupture causing severe internal bleeding, endangering both yours and the baby’s lives.”

Hyo Joo paused. She glanced the man in front of her, her eyes piercing his as she spoke her next words. “When that happens, are you willing to sacrifice one to save the other?”

Gary sat, frozen as the seriousness of the matter finally seeped in. Finally understanding the direness of the situation. Ji Hyo clenched her jaw and stared at her cousin. “I’ll take the 10% chance.”

“Ji Hyo-ah,” Gary began, tightening his hold on Ji Hyo’s hand

“Ani, oppa,” she turned to face Gary, catching his eyes as they flicker with anxiety. “They said there was a 10% chance of rain today.” She paused, chuckling. “Rain, in winter. But I brought my umbrella just in case. Because 10% is enough for me to believe that it’s possible.”

Gary’s eyes softened, gazing back at hers that reflected a stubborn calmness and determination, and he knew had lost. Finally, he nodded.

Hyo Joo sighed. She knew that if she kept on insisting, her cousin will shut down completely. So she decided to let the issue go for the moment. “Very well. I can only respect your decision. I’ll write some prescriptions for your prenatal vitamins, please adhere to them.”

“I will, I promise.” Ji Hyo quickly assured her. Gary nodded, “Don’t worry, I’ll make sure she takes them accordingly.”

“Okay, I’ll schedule another appointment in 2 weeks.” Hyo Joo handed a prescription receipt to Gary. “Take care of yourself, unnie. Call me anytime.”

“Gomawo, Hyo Joo-ah.”

As Ji Hyo and Gary exited the room, Ji Hyo turned to Gary. “Oppa, I need to go to the ladies for a while. Can you get the prescriptions? I’ll meet you there.”

“Wae? Gwenchana? Do need me to help you?”

“Aniyo… Gwenchana. The jajjangmyun is making a comeback.” Ji Hyo replied sheepishly.

“Ouh… Attic or basement?”

“Oppa!”

“Wae? You’re my wife, I’m allowed to know. Why are you all embarrassed?”

Ji Hyo pursed her lips tightly, her brows forming a deep frown. “Yah! Kang Gary! Just go!” She exclaimed as she spun around and headed for the washroom, leaving Gary to chuckle after her. He felt bad riling her up like that but he couldn’t help but be amused at her hormonal mood swings. He turned to head to the pharmacy when he halted suddenly. Hyo Joo stood before him, her face sombre, her hands buried deep in her white coat.

“Hyo Joo-sshi.”

“Please don’t think badly of me.” She began softly, her eyes darting over Gary’s shoulder, scanning for any signs of Ji Hyo’s return. She took out her hand from her coat pocket and handed Gary a bottle of pills labelled “Misoprostol”. Gary frowned. “Mwohya?”

“She cannot go through with this pregnancy. The risk is too high. She will not survive it. She may believe in taking chances, and it has always worked out for her in her business. But I am not willing to risk her taking a chance at the expense of her life. Give this to her before her 12th week. Now is the safest time to abort it. Any longer, it will be too late. Please. She needs to live.” Hyo Joo begged, her eyes wide and glassy with unshed tears. They darted around nervously at her surroundings.

Gary’s frown deepened. “What are you not telling me?”

“Give her the pills. Please.” Hyo Joo reached out and grabbed Gary’s arm in desperation.

“Oh, oppa! Why are you still here?” Ji Hyo called out as she walked towards them. Hyo Joo quickly let go of her hand while Gary quickly slipped the bottle into his jacket pocket. He turned around and held up the envelope containing the ultrasound photo.

“I left this in the room just now. Hyo Joo-sshi came to pass it to me.” Gary swiftly explained.

“Ahh.. arasso,” Ji Hyo replied,  “Shall we go?”

Gary smiled and nodded. Ji Hyo turned to Hyo Joo and grabbed her hand. “Gomawo, Hyo Joo-ah.” Hyo Joo nodded. Letting go of her hand, Ji Hyo wrapped her arm around Gary’s and turned to head to the pharmacy. Hyo Joo could only watch their backs as they disappeared from her line of vision.

Her phone rang.

Fishing out the device from her pocket, she stared at the screen for a moment before answering it. She brought it to her ear and took a deep breath.

“Is it done?”

“I hate you.”

“I’ll take that as a yes.”

“I really hate you.”

“No you don’t. If you did, you would have told them everything. But you didn’t. Why? Because you know why I’m doing this. Because deep inside, you yearn for what should’ve been ours in the first place.”

“I’m not like you.”

“That’s where you’re wrong, daughter. You are exactly like me.”

 

 

** M Building; Gary's Apartment - Winter, 2015 - Evening **

 

Ji Hyo stepped out of the bathroom in Gary’s room, a towel wrapped around her head in a turban, carrying the laundry basket in her arms. She maneuvered her way out of the room and headed towards the washer. Gary was busy preparing dinner in the kitchen. He paused and turned as he sensed her coming closer towards him. His eyes widened as he noticed what she was carrying. Turning off the stove, he hurried to her side.

“Yeobo,” he chastised. “You shouldn’t be carrying this! Give it to me.”

Ji Hyo turned and avoided his hands. “Aniya… I can do it, oppa. I’m not incapable. It’s not even heavy.”

Gary tsk-ed and reached out to poke her lightly in the ribs, causing her to jerk and loosen her grip on the laundry basket. Thanks to his quick reflex, Gary immediately grabbed it and walked away - towards the small room by the kitchen, that housed the washer. Ji Hyo huffed and stomped up behind him. She crossed her arms as she observed him diligently put the laundry into the washer. Ji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter