Chapter 5: Autumn Musings

Autumn Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“ <3

It’s a simple symbol composed of two important components in a relationship: love less than three

It means that love is less than three and it has no space for third party.”

- marieeeeIheartsyou; Tumblr

~ ~ ~

** Autumn 2015 **

Ji Hyo stood in the middle of her room. Her luggage was unpacked and her clothes already hung neatly in the walk in closet. She looked over at the king-sized bed. She sighed. Ji Hyo walked over to the bed turned around and fell backwards. She stared up at the ceiling and let out a breath. This was it. The next phase of her life begins. Just the thought of being alone in a huge house with people she barely knew, brought about that familiar sense of dread within her. Oh how she wished she at least had Min Soo oppa with her. Ji Hyo inwardly chastised herself. No, she won’t be selfish. Her father was right, Choi Min Soo had wasted all his younger years protecting her. He needed his own life back. That man needs to get married, Ji Hyo thought to herself. She chuckled, imagining the intimidating man as a husband and father to little kids. At the thought of marriage, her laughter faded and her smile left her face.

Ji Hyo sighed again. Bringing a hand to her face, she rubbed her eyes and ran her hand through her hair untangling its knots. She had made a promise to Min Soo oppa and her father that she would try to make it work. And Song Ji Hyo was not someone who went back on her word. Min Soo oppa was right. For four years she had consulted with multiple lawyers to seek an out of the agreement. But the fact that her father had thought through almost every single detail of his will, had pissed her off and that pretty much sealed her fate.

“Song Ji Hyo-sshi?”

A voice called out from the other side of her closed door. Ji Hyo sat up from the bed and patted her hair down trying to make it look as presentable as possible. No sooner had she done so, the door creaked open a nudge. A maid poked her head in and searched for her before finally locating her on the bed.

“Please, come in.” Ji Hyo assured her.

The maid quickly walked in and bowed. “Is everything to your liking agasshi?” The maid politely asked. “Yes, thank you so much.” Ji Hyo replied. The maid bowed. “Dinner will be ready soon. Would you like me to draw you a bath now?” She asked again. Ji Hyo shook her head, “No, that’s okay. I can do it myself.”

“Very well, agasshi. I will let you know when dinner is ready.” The maid bowed once more and retreated out of the room closing the door behind her. Ji Hyo got down from the bed and walked into the closet. Not exactly knowing what to wear, she picked out something simple yet presentable. She assumed her future husband would be at dinner too. The least she could do was not scare him away with her very much laid back dressing while at home. As her hand reached out to grab a simple dress, she halted and smirked. Well, if he’s going to marry me, might as well get used to how I really am at home, right? Ji Hyo thought to herself.

Instead of the dress, she quickly searched for and found a pair of dark jeans and a light pink v-neck sweater. Comfort over style, they say. She walked out of the closet and dumped the clothes on her bed before heading into the attached bathroom.

 

- - -

 

Gary knocked on the door to his father’s study. Hearing the soft reply on the other side, he opened and walked in. Kang Shin-Il was seated on the small sofa by the electric fireplace, smoking his pipe and reading a book. Gary walked towards him and bowed as soon as he was near. “You’re late.” Shin-Il stated, not taking his eyes off the book. Gary smiled awkwardly and rubbed the back of his head. “Joesonghabnida, abeoji. I had to settle some stuff at the apartment.”

Shin-Il grunted. “How is Seong-joon? Is he still Tokyo?” Gary nodded, “Neh, but he’s flying back tomorrow.” His father dog-eared the book and closed it. Reaching over, he put it on the coffee table in front of him. He turned to Gary who was still standing. He raised an eyebrow and grabbed his pipe from his lips. “What are you still standing there for? Come sit.” He gestured to the empty space beside him. Gary let out a breath he did not even know he was holding, and took his seat. As soon as his bum hit the cushion, he slumped back onto the sofa, exhaustion finally setting in. He tilted his head back over the top of the sofa and he sighed.

Shin-Il looked over at his son, “And how are you, son?”

“Tired.” Gary replied. Shin-Il continued staring at him. Gary ran a hand over his face. “Happy, appa. Tired, but happy with my life right now.” Shin-Il sighed and placed the pipe back to his lips. Gary turned to his father and chuckled. “What’s even in that pipe? You don’t even smoke.”

“Nothing. It’s empty. I just thought it looked cool. You know, like in the dramas where the rich will always be smoking pipe, seating in their study. How do I look?” Shin-Il replied as he posed, or at least he tried. Gary burst out laughing. He leaned forward, trying to catch his breath. He rested his arms on his knees and turned to his father. Shin-Il tossed the pipe on the table and chuckled. “Well, it was worth a try.” He patted Gary on the back, giving his shoulder a light squeeze. “Go on, go wash up. Dinner should be ready soon.” He instructed.

Gary nodded, “Arasso, appa.” He stood up and bowed to his father. Shin-Il waved him away. Gary walked towards the door but halted when his father called out to him. He turned. “No caps in the house, please.” Gary raised both his hands in defeat and continued walking backwards out of the study.

 

- - -

 

When Ji Hyo woke up, she didn’t know how long she had been soaking in the huge bathtub. But she realized that since the warm water had turned cold, she assumed it must’ve been quite long. She hastily got up and drained the tub before grabbing the bathrobe off the hook by the door. Putting it on, she tied the robe loosely around her waist and left the bathroom. As she was getting dressed, there was a knock on the door.

“I’m almost ready, come on in.” She called out. With her back facing the door, she dropped the bathrobe and put on her jeans. “OH MY GOD!”

Realizing that the voice did not belong to the maid, Ji Hyo turned around and yelped. She quickly grabbed her sweater from the bed and covered her bra-clad upper body. She could feel heat rushing to her face.

“Joesonghabnida. I-I didn’t-You said to come in - ” Gary stuttered as he slapped a hand over his eyes, backing away towards the door.

“Yah! Who are you!?” Ji Hyo screeched. “No, don’t answer that. Just get out, please.”

Finally locating the door, with a hand still covering his eyes, Gary bowed deeply. “Arraso, arraso. Joesonghabnida. I really didn’t mean it. Jinjja!” He pleaded as he continued backing out of the room.

As soon as he was out, Ji Hyo slammed the door shut. He finally brought down his hand. He stood staring dumbfounded at the closed door in front of him. His intention was just to call her down for dinner, hoping to introduce himself to her personally but the sight of Ji Hyo’s scarred back was the first thing he saw when he entered the room. It was not until it dawned upon him that the only reason he was able to see it was because she only had on her black bra and jeans, that he knew he probably screwed up her first impression of him. He shook his head, trying to rid himself of the memory.

“Pabo ya, Kang Gary.” He whispered to himself.

 

- - -

 

Shin-Il’s eyes darted back and forth between the two people seated across from him. There was too much awkward tension between the two that he could cut it with a knife. Both Gary and Ji Hyo, though

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter