Chapter 3: Autumn Freeze

Autumn Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Designers want me to dress like Spring, in billowing things. I don't feel like Spring. I feel like a warm red Autumn.”

- Marilyn Monroe

 

** Haeundae Marine City, Busan - Song Residence - Autumn 2011 **

Han Dong Joon hastened to the study as directed by the maid. Upon reaching the door, he paused. He straightened his tie and brushed the invisible lint off his coat. Taking a deep breath, he knocked and entered. The first thing he noticed was that the man in the room was not the renowned lawyer, Yoo Jae Suk. In his place was a well built, good-looking man. It took him a moment to realize that said man had walked up to him and introduced himself.

“Han Dong Joon-sshi, I’m Kim Jong Kook.” Jong Kook stated as he held out his hand. Dong Joon cleared his throat and accepted the handshake. “Yes, of course. Kim Jong Kook. I’ve heard about you. You represented congressman Ji Suk Jin in the embezzlement scandal. I must say I was impressed. It takes a great eye to spot such a flaw in an otherwise flawless contract.” Dong Joon complimented.

Jong Kook smirked, “Thank you. I only did what was necessary to prove my client was innocent.” Jong Kook released his hand and motions for Dong Joon to the nearby armchair. “Please, have a sit. Yoo Jae Suk-sshi had last minute personal business to attend to and sent me in his place.” 

“Ah, I understand.” Dong Joon affirmed. He then ed his coat and sat on the chair, making himself comfortable while waiting for the rest to arrive.

A knock on the door brought both male’s attention to the doorway. Choo Sung Hoon sauntered into the room, head held high, both hands buried deep in his pant pockets. He smiled and walked towards Jong Kook. Upon reaching him, instead of holding out his hand for a handshake, he took the younger man into his arms and hugged him tight. Han Dong Joon watched curiously.

“Jong Kook-ah. How are you?” Sung Hoon greeted as he lets go of his hoobae. Flustered, Jong Kook composed himself before bowing slightly to the intimidating man in front of him. “Sung Hoon seonbaenim, neh. I am well. Thank you.” Jong Kook replied. Sung Hoon grinned and patted Jong Kook on the shoulder, congratulating him. “Chukahae, on your recent case. Well done.” Jong Kook blushed at the compliment.

Annoyed at being ignored, Dong Joon cleared his throat drawing attention back to himself. As if just noticing the older man was in the room too, Sung Hoon turned to him. “Are both of you familiar with each other?” Dong Joon inquired.

“Ah, Dong Joon-sshi. Forgive me, I didn’t see you there. Neh, Jong Kook here is my hoobae. We were in the same university back in the day. He’s a close family friend.” At the word, “family friend”, Dong Joon raised an eyebrow in suspicion. Before any more comments could be made, a soft knock sounded. Sung Hoon turned and dropped down into a seat adjacent to Dong Joon. Jong Kook looked up to the door and he could’ve sworn that his heart skipped a beat. Song Ji Hyo, daughter of the late business tycoon Song Do Yeon, stood in an all-black ensemble, her hair held in a high ponytail. At that moment, Jong Kook praised the good lord and asked Him to send many blessings upon Yoo Jae Suk and his family for the opportunity to be here instead of at the gym where he had initially planned to spend the evening at.

Ji Hyo sashayed further into the room towards Jong Kook, the heels of her boots clicking against the hardwood flooring. As usual, Choi Min Soo followed a few paces behind her. Before Ji Hyo could reach Jong Kook, Dong Joon stood up and halted Min Soo from going any further. With a hand on Min Soo’s chest he pushed the younger man back slightly. Min Soo slowly looked down at the hand and blinked. Realizing that Min Soo was stopped, Ji Hyo paused in her step, snapped her head back and looked over her shoulder. Her eyes narrowed at her uncle.

“Is there a problem, uncle?”

Jong Kook prided himself as being someone who was not easily intimidated. There were only a few who were able to intimidate him, one of them being his seonbae, Choo Sung Hoon, especially in the boxing ring. But as he heard the icy voice that floated out of Ji Hyo’s cherry red lips, he came to a conclusion to add Song Ji Hyo to the list. How is it that someone so small could exude such cold aura that brings about goose bumps on his skin?

Taking his hand off the bodyguard, he wiped his hand against his pants as if it had touched something filthy. Dong Joon coughed and walked up to his niece. Ji Hyo’s eyes followed his every movement until he came to stand in front of her. He smiled. “Ji Hyo-ah, this meeting is for family only. And as far as I know, Choi Min Soo is not family.” Ji Hyo scoffed and smirked. “Says the person who invited the whole company to the house without permission. And Min Soo-sshi is family.”

Dong Joon laughed awkwardly, his eyes darting around the room avoiding eye contact. “Just because you consider him one does not make him one. Let’s get that straight, shall we?”

“Actually,” Jong Kook interrupted the conversation. “Choi Min Soo-sshi is mentioned in Song Do Yeon’s will.” Four pairs of eyes widened at the revelation of the information. Seeing as no one was about to make another move, Jong Kook continued. “With the arrival of Song Ji Hyo-sshi and Choi Min Soo-sshi, we shall commence with the reading. Please, everyone, take a seat.” Jong Kook then walked to the door and closed it, locking it in the process.

Snapping out from the surprise, Ji Hyo grabbed a seat furthest away from her uncle while Min Soo stood behind her, standing guard as always. She caught Sung Hoon’s eye and blushed, remembering the earlier incident. She bowed her head in silent apology. Sung Hoon grinned and bowed back in acceptance. Dong Joon too took his seat, anxiously waiting for Jong Kook to start. Jong Kook marched back to the front of the room. He stood behind the desk and glanced at the four occupants in the room.

“Good evening. I, lawyer Kim Jong Kook, in place of State Attorney Yoo Jae Suk, will commence the reading of the last will and testament of Song Do Yeon. I beseech that there be no interruptions during the reading and any questions or clarifications be made after. Al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter