Chapter 4: Autumn Calls

Autumn Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Please note that I have changed the name of Gary’s father from Kang Min Hyuk to Kang Shin-Il. I have also provided photos of Gary’s father, stepbrother (Choo Sung Hoon) and Han Dong Joon. This is so that all of you have an idea of how everyone looks like. Makes it more interesting, no? Hehehe.. Anyway, please enjoy this chapter!

 

        

 

- - -

We cling to our own point of view, as though everything depended on it. Yet our opinions have no permanence; like autumn and winter, they gradually pass away.

Chuang Tzu

 

** Autumn 2015 **

 

Min Soo glanced at the rearview mirror. He sighed at the sight of the woman in the back seat. Her brows furrowed as she stared out the window, the view of the ocean passing by seemed too quick for her liking. Min Soo motioned to the driver to reduce his speed. The driver nodded in understanding. Feeling that the car had slowed down, Ji Hyo spared a glance at Min Soo and smiled thankfully. She then turned her attention back to the window, basking in the view before her, eyes barely blinking almost afraid she’d miss out any detail.

Min Soo smiled sadly and faced back towards the road. Four years flew by without him realizing and now, here he was, sending his charge, his sister, away to her new family. He had hoped the past four years had not been a waste. He had educated her in self-defense and firearms enough, in case she was left unprotected. He knew and understood her father’s decision now, to marry her off to Kang Gary. He had heard of that man. A music producer, well, that’s what he was known to most people. But Choi Min Soo was not like most people. He was the best at what he does, and to be the best, he was trained by the best. So was Kang Gary. Imagine his surprise when he found out that Kang Gary was a student of his Sensei, years after he had graduated.

Pal Dan. 8th degree black belt in various martial arts. Kang Gary was not a man you want to mess with. Although having never met him, Min Soo trusted his Sensei’s judgment and respected Song Do Yeon all the more. That was a man who knew his connections. He sincerely hoped that Ji Hyo does give her future husband a chance. It would make her life easier, and make his heart more at ease knowing she’s be safe under Gary’s care.

Safe. God, he hopes Kang Gary can keep her safe. Min Soo was neither deaf nor blind to what has been happening in Song Empire in the recent years. Ji Hyo almost had a breakdown when the stock market crashed, causing many investors to pull out. But this strong young woman pulled through it, almost single-handedly turning over the company. Her father had taught her well. But apparently not well enough for her to spot a bad seed. For a while, Min Soo had been keeping an eye on Han Dong Joon. From the moment since the news of the death of his brother-in-law, Dong Joon had been trying hard to take over the Song Empire. And with the distribution of shares four years ago, Dong Joon had not been a very happy man. It would not be impossible to think Dong Joon would do anything to get the company. Hurting people along the way is definitely not beneath him.

As the sun continued to set over the horizon, the driver reached over to turn on his headlights. Min Soo glanced at the rearview mirror once more. Ji Hyo had fallen asleep, her head resting against the window, her arms wrapped tightly around herself. She had kicked off her heels and tucked her legs under her. She looked like she was 15 again, the first and last time she ran away from home. Tricky girl she was then. He assumed he too was at fault for falling for her trick. He remembered the how angry he was when he realized that she had played him. But no sooner, anger quickly was replaced with fear and panic.

It took him three whole hours to locate her, huddled in the corner sandwiched between a dumpster and empty wooden crates in a dark alley. Seeing her in that state, his mind immediately thought the worst. He approached her cautiously, not wanting to surprise her. But instead, he’s the one who was surprised. There she was, a vulnerable young girl out in the open to God knows whatever animals that roam the alley at night, asleep and snoring. He had let out a chuckle. He didn’t know if he was laughing at the situation or out of relief. His laughter woke her up and as soon as she realized it was him, she launched herself at him apologizing profusely, explaining that she had gotten lost along the way and her phone ran out of battery. So she did what he had once taught her to do: find a inconspicuous place, seclude herself and wait, because no matter where she was, he will find her.

“And you did! You really found me!” She had exclaimed.

Min Soo smiled at the memory. His smile however faltered at the sight of the house in front of him. His eyes shifted to Ji Hyo once more. I’ll just remember you this way, shall I, Aegishi?

- - -

It was already dark when the car drove up to the porch. Ji Hyo was wide-awake and still sitting in the back seat as her bags were unloaded from the trunk. She took a deep breath and reached for the door. The door swung open and she cautiously stepped out. Ji Hyo looked up at the house before her. This was the place she’d call home from now on but to be honest, the thought of home was hours away back in Busan. She craned her neck further up, looking at the dark sky. Not a single star to be seen. A sense of dread started to build up deep in her gut. A familiar sting behind her eyelids caused her to blink her eyes rapidly.

“Ji Hyo-ah…”

At the mention of her name, Ji Hyo snapped her head back to the front of the house. There, before her, Kang Shin-Il - her soon to be father-in-law. She smiled and stepped forward. She bowed deeply.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Kang Shin-Il-sshi. Song Ji Hyo imnida.”

Kang Shin-Il let out a throaty laugh and wrapped Ji Hyo in a warm hug. Startled, Ji Hyo could stand still, arms stayed frozen at her side. “Aigoo, you’re a part of the family now. No need for formalities. Just call me abeonim, neh?” Min Hyuk replied gently.

At the familiar warm baritone of Shin-Il’s voice, she had flashes of her father. tightened and for that moment she let go of her composure. She returned the older man’s embrace relishing in his warmth, one she had not felt since her father passed away. “Neh, algae sumnida… Abeonim.” She whispered.

Shin-Il pulled away from the embrace and held her at arms length. He cupped her face with one hand and studied her face. He smiled. “Look at you… You look exactly like your mother. Areumdawo. Come, let’s get you settled in.”

Shin-Il gently pulled Ji Hyo by her arm but paused when he felt a slight resistance from her. He turned and noticed her attention was on the man by the car. Ah yes, Choi Min Soo, he was told - her bodyguard. Giving her a gentle nudge towards the man, Shi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter