Chapter 6: Summer Lovin'

Autumn Calling
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Thank you everyone for your support. I really appreciate it. And as a sign of my appreciation, here is another chapter. Please enjoy! :)

~ ~ ~

“In every girl’s life; there’s a boy she’ll never forget and a summer where it all began.”

- Anonymous

** Haeundae Beach, Busan - Summer 2012 **

 

     

There was something magical about being at Haeundae at night. The lights from the skyscrapers across the water shine brightly in an array of colors, twinkling like stars in a cloudless sky. The warm breeze floats through the air carrying particles of fine sand. There was something soothing about the sounds of the waves softly caressing the beach, leaving behind hidden treasures of the sea. Though music from the row of clubs and restaurants boomed in the background, it does not disturb the peace surrounding the beach. It was almost as if one had stepped into a different dimension the moment their foot touched the sand.

Ji Hyo brought her knees closer to her as she sat on the boulder, a little ways away from couples romancing in the night. She watched as a silhouette of a couple strolling by hand in hand by the edge of the beach. She could distinctly hear giggles from the girl as the man whispered sweet nothings in her hear. At least, that’s what she assumed, of course.

The sound of feet softly patting the sand, approaching her, made her turn. She smiled. Jong Kook handed her a bottle of apple juice before settling himself down beside her on the boulder. “Kamsahamnida.” Ji Hyo thanked him as she took the drink. Uncapping it, she took a sip. The cool beverage travelling down is a stark contrast to the warm breeze caressing her face. She turned to the man beside her, noticing that he had left taken off his blazer and left it lying on the boulder next to him. He had ed the first few buttons of his shirt; the sleeves of his black shirt were rolled up to the elbows, giving her a view of his toned forearms. She gulped. Her hands itched to reach out and touch his arm. She shook her head ridding herself off the indecent thoughts.

Jong Kook looked over at Ji Hyo. “Gwenchana?” He asked. Ji Hyo nodded. “Neh, gwenchanayo.” Jong Kook took a swing of the fresh orange juice he had in his hand, finishing it in one gulp. He capped the bottle and put it aside. He let out a breath enjoying the coolness the beverage brought.

“So, this is the place you were talking about?” He asked, as he took in the sight before him. “Mm,” Ji Hyo replied. “My father used to bring me out here a lot when I was younger, especially on days when he had to work late. He used to regret not being able to spend more time with me in the day, so when he came home late, he’d wake me up and we’d drive down here.” Ji Hyo patted the boulder they were sitting on.

“This was where we always sat. He’d hold me close and point out all the buildings he owned, telling me that one day I’ll be the one taking over his place and those buildings will belong to me.” Ji Hyo paused. “Then he’d look at me and tilt my head up.” Ji Hyo looked up at the night sky. Jong Kook mirrored her. His eyes widened as he drank in the sight before him.

“He said, my dearest Ji Hyo-yah. Although those buildings shined brightly at night, nothing will ever be as bright as those stars burning millions of miles away. Though they’re long gone, they’re still outshining those buildings; they’ll be your guide whenever you run out of light. It took me a very long time to understand what he meant. It was not until 7th grade that I learnt.” Ji Hyo sighed and looked back down.

She turned to Jong Kook, “When looking at stars, you’re actually looking into the past. Many of the stars we see at night have already died. Kim Min Jung told me that during recess one day. I stopped liking her since.” Ji Hyo stated. She chuckled at her childishness. Jong Kook looked over at her and smiled.

As their eyes met, it was as though time itself had slowed down. Ji Hyo could no longer hear the booming of the bass in the background. Even the sound of the waves crashing on the beach started to fade. A sudden burst of warm wind blew against them, snapping the thin rubber band that held Ji Hyo’s hair together. Her hair flutters against the wind, blocking her vision. Ji Hyo reached out to swipe her hair aside and found that Jong Kook had done the same. She froze, her hand hovering above his as he tucked her hair behind her ear then resting it on her cheek, cupping her face lightly.

Slowly, he leaned in. He searched her eyes for any sign telling him to stop, but found none. Jong Kook brushed his lips against hers softly, then a little harder. Realizing that Ji Hyo was not responding, he began to pull back. But before he could move any further, Ji Hyo grabbed his hand that was still cupping her face. She leaned forward and kissed him back, nibbling on his lower lip, almost begging him to part it. And who was he to deny that request.

~ ~ ~

** Choo Sung Hoon’s Penthouse - Autumn 2015 **

 

   

Ji Hyo stood at the balcony outside, away from the crowd. The cool breeze caused her to pull her coat tighter around herself. Whenever autumn came, she always wished for summer. The warm breeze was, to her, more welcoming than the bites of autumn’s cold. She looked up to the sky and searched for a single sparkle of light, but she found none. Another reason to dislike autumn. Soft footsteps approached her from behind.

“Ji Hyo-yah.” His voice floated in the air, carried by the wind and into her ears. Even his voice now, left a biting scratch against her skin. “Mianhae.” Jong Kook said softly. Even though they were away and separated from the crowd, Jong Kook felt the need to speak in a low volume. He walked up to her and stood beside her, his back leaning against the low wall.

“Aniya. Gwenchanayo.” She whispered back, keeping her eyes in front, avoiding his gaze. Jong Kook turned around, bending forward slightly, resting his arms on the wooden panel. He drank in the sight before him. Located 32 stories above the ground, the sight was breathtaking. “How long are you going to stay angry at me, Ji Hyo-yah?” He asked, his voice soft and low.

“I’m not angry, oppa. I never was.” Ji Hyo replied just as softly. "I’m only disappointed." She finally turned her head and glanced at him. He hadn’t changed much over the past few years. He had styled his hair differently now, though. She liked it when his hair used to hang over his eyes in light curls, instead of swept back in a pompadour. “I’m disappointed that you never fought for me, oppa. I'm disappointed that you didn’t even try.” She said, before pushing herself off the wall and turning around, walking away.

Jong Kook pivoted around and called out to her, his voice firm but broken. “I did fight for you. I did try.”

Ji Hyo paused and looked over her shoulder. “If you really did, oppa, I would be marrying you instead.”

~ ~ ~

The drive back home was quiet. Unlike the first time they shared a space, this time the silence was welcoming. Gary glanced at the sleeping woman beside him. He was not blind. He had notice the tension between her and Jong Kook at the party just now. There was more to them just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter