CHAPTER FIVE ~ I Like You

The Broker

As the first assessment week approaches, everyone at university has started spending ten folds the time they usually do in libraries. Eunji usually resorts to libraries for silence and a bit of time to reflect upon herself, but nowadays it is just too crowded that she can’t even have her own peaceful personal space without someone intruding every ten minutes. That is why she is sitting at a table in a dingy pub that rarely gets any customers. Since everyone else is too busy, she has started spending ample of time with Baekhyun. He now knows the story of her life and that she has a secret passion for singing. He has also made sure to express his disbelief when he heard that she has never dated once in her life. His reason is that she is too pretty to be single. Even though she usually seems really uninterested in people, he has come to know that she is the kind of person who would always buy a cup of ramen to any cold homeless person on the streets. Baekhyun also talks to her about EXO and how his dad, an entrepreneur, has never shown any interest in him at all because he is a mistake and him and his mother are a burden. During lunch time, they spent a lot of time singing duets in empty classrooms. Baekhyun’s soulful voice never fails to make her shudder, especially when he looks at her in the eye and sings a love song. Everyone is university is still unaware of his death. Because of that, a thought has been lingering in the back of Eunji’s mind. There is a certain kind of exorcism that might bring Baekhyun back to life. She has been thinking about telling him but she needs Baekhyun’s corpse to perform it. So, she has decided to wait until she finds it. Otherwise, Baekhyun will get his hopes up and be devastated if she never finds his dead body. Her chain of thoughts is interrupted when Baekhyun suddenly waves his hand in front of her face.

“Hellooo?? Are you listening? I have an issue here,” Baekhyun pouts.

“Don’t do that. You look hideous when you pout,” Eunji grunts. She has developed a weakness for his pout because it is just too cute. Maybe that’s why he has so many noona fans. “What is it?”

“The problem is, I have been wearing the same outfit for a month now. Why must a ghost’s life be so dull?” he heaves a sigh.

“Shall I tell you a secret?”, she whispers. Baekhyun nods and looks at her with wide hopeful eyes. “Close your eyes.” Baekhyun closes his eyes. “Now, visualise yourself in an outfit of your choice.”

Baekhyun’s eyebrows are furrowed and he takes a deep breath. “Yep. Done.”

In front of her, Eunji can see Baekhyun’s white shirt and black jeans transforming into a black hoodie and ripped blue jeans. “Now, open your eyes,” Eunji says.

Baekhyun opens his eyes and sees Eunji looking at him. “What?”

Eunji points at him and raises her eyebrows. When he looks down and finds himself in the same exact clothes that he imagined himself wearing, he squeals in disbelief. “Wooaaahhh!!! What is this? This is so cool.”

“I know, right?”

“Why didn’t you let me know earlier? This should have been included in the ‘Things Ghosts Can Do’ lecture that you gave me.”

Eunji takes the last sip of her coffee and puts down her cup. Baekhyun suddenly leans towards her and only stops when his nose is an inch away from hers. “What are you doing?” Eunji leans away.

“You have got coffee moustache,” Baekhyun says and goes back to his original position. He wishes that he was physically capable of wiping it away. He would have done it if it was possible.

Eunji grabs a tissue and wipes it while making sure that Baekhyun can’t see her flaming cheeks. She thought, just for a split second, that he was going to kiss her and now she is flustered. She fans herself but the heat doesn’t seem to fade from her cheeks.

“You don’t have to hide it. I can see that you are blushing,” Baekhyun laughs. “Why? What did you think?”

Eunji gives him a death glare. “You were invading my personal space.”

After a couple of minutes of silence, Eunji asks him, “I’m going back to Busan during Chuseok holiday next week to visit my old orphanage. Do you want to come with me?”

“Why?” Baekhyun says. “Can’t you tolerate one second away from me?”

Ah, seriously! This guy’s confidence is out of the world! “No, it’s just because Hoya got a contract with a company to make an album so he is busy.”

Baekhyun’s face falls at the mention of Hoya’s name. “This guy again. Is he your bodyguard or something? He’s always with you.”

Eunji, oblivious to the jealousy that Baekhyun is exuding, tells him to stop insulting her brother. Baekhyun comments that he is unsure if Hoya sees himself as her brother. He eventually agrees to accompany her to Busan.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hoya leaves the SM Entertainment building after he finishes discussing his album with the producers of the company. As he is walking down the pavement, he sees a familiar figure leave a nearby pub. It is Eunji. As he approaches her, he notices that she is talking. He figures that it might be a spirit since no living person is with her. Unusually, her cheeks were pink and she seems to be very nervous and looking everywhere.

“Hi,” he says when he catches up with her. “Am I interrupting your conversation with anyone?”

“No” she says, smiling.

“I saw you speaking. Perhaps... Have you met someone?” Hoya asks.

It is so evident that Eunji is blushing. “Um... yeah.”

Hoya suspects that it is a guy since her reaction was pretty unusual. Has she possibly fallen in love with a spirit? He then mentally slaps himself for having such a ridiculous thought. “Introduce me to them.”

“I can’t tell you about him,” she says after hesistating. Eunji almost blurts Baekhyun’s name out but she realises that Hoya can’t know about his death if she is going to perform the exorcism.

Him? Hoya’s mind is flooded with questions. “Ya, Busan girl, don’t go around falling in love with random people.”

“Why? What do you mean?” Eunji probes.

Hoya stops walking and Eunji follows suit. “You have to give me a fair chance. You’re always saying that I am your brother and my feelings are ignored like they are non-existent,” he says.

Eunji looks at him and slightly raises her voice. “What feelings? I don’t know, Hoya. You are my bro-“

“That again?” Hoya interrupts her. “Eunji-ah, what do I have to do to let you know that I am not your little brother anymore? I tried not to develop these feelings, but I can’t help it, can I? What do I do?”

Her eyes well up with tears after hearing his sudden outburst. “Don’t do anything. Forget it,” she says.

Hoya runs his hand through his hair and grabs it with annoyance. “Eunji-ah, I am really sorry about what I am about to do,” he says and leans forward. He kisses her softly on her cheek and walks away as quickly as he came.

After that, Eunji doesn’t feel like going to the dorm. She turns around and once again enters the same old dingy pub. After a few drinks, Baekhyun notices that Eunji is well out of her mind.

“Why does everyone make my life so hard?” Her speech is slurred. “Aaahh, everyone gives me a headache these days.”

“Eunji, no more drinks. You are starting to act weird now,” Baekhyun advises.

“Oppa?” Eunji says.

Oppa? Baekhyun’s heart thuds. Eunji has never called him that before. “Hmm?”

“Why do you look so good today?” Eunji blurts.

“Eunji-ah, I think you will be really embarrassed if you remember saying this the next day.” Baekhyun is pretty sure that normal Eunji would never say that.

“Oppa. I think I like... I think.....”

Baekhyun is 99% sure of what is going to come next. He has never thought about his feelings towards her. But weirdly, he really wants to hear her say it. He looks at her carefully.

“I think I like yy...” And that is it. Eunji falls asleep on the table. Baekhyun sighs with a void in his heart that reeks of disappointment. He was expecting her to actually say it. He puts a strand of hair away from Eunji’s face behind her ear.

He leans on the table too and faces her. “Eunji-ah,” he says softly and slowly. “Do I like you too?”

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

After practising for their next gig, Kyungsoo and Jongin bid farewell to the rest of EXO members and leave the studio. Kai is the best dancer in EXO. His moves make women and men alike go wild. But the fierce Jongin, who goes with a stage name Kai, is nothing like the Jongin off stage. Onstage, he is divine and untouchable. When he is not being Kai, Jongin is gentle, sensible and not too intimidating. Three months after they were introduced, Jongin professed that he has a crush on Kyungsoo. Then, Kyungsoo asked him if he was joking and left Jongin’s questions unanswered. After the incident, Kyungsoo dated a different girl every two weeks. Despite that, Jongin has always worked hard in EXO and put on a brave face and tried to act casual when he is with Kyungsoo. They are on speaking terms, but both have left a lot of things unspoken.

They head towards their usual pub on their way to the dorms. This pub is EXO’s go-to. Due to its lack of customers, they are able to enjoy a good night out without all that attention. While waiting for their drinks at the bar, Kyungsoo looks around and sees Eunji slumped onto a table. Beside her, he could see a spirit. They are looking at each other. He is pretty sure it’s Baekhyun. “Jongin-ah, excuse me for a second.” Jongin nodded.

When he is at their table, he notices that Eunji is asleep. He looks at Baekhyun. “Baekhyun, what’s going on?”

Baekhyun is startled to hear his voice. “Hey, you surprised me. Um, I think she is drunk. Very drunk.”

“Why? Did you do something to her? What happened?” Kyungsoo asks.

“Just, she has a lot going on so I guess she’s tired of it all,” Baekhyun says solemnly. Kyungsoo suddenly feels bad for what he put Eunji through. He feels sorry for making her one of those other girls that he has used to make someone else jealous.

“Baekhyun, go ahead to our dorm. I’ll bring her with me later,” Kyungsoo tells him.

“What? No, I’ll be with her,” Baekhyun insists.

“I said go. I have something important to discuss with Jongin now,” Kyungsoo glares at Baekhyun. If looks can kill, this clearly is one of them.

“Aah, okay,” Baekhyun whines, clearly annoyed. “Don’t look at me like that. It feels like you are going to kill me. Even though I am already dead.” Kyungsoo chuckles.

When Baekhyun is gone, Jongin brings the drinks to the table.

“Thanks.” Kyungsoo smiles at him.

“Oh! It’s her, your girlfriend,” Jongin says when he sees Eunji. Kyungsoo shifts uncomfortably in his seat. After taking a sip of his drink, Jongin asks, “So hyung, do you like her?”

“Would you believe if I said no?” Kyungsoo fixes his gaze on the table.

“Why? Well, I would. You’re not the kind of person to lie to people you know,” Jongin answers.

“Jongin-ah. You say that I’m not that kind of person, but I think I have been lying all along to the one person that matters the most,” Kyungsoo says.

Jongin thinks he knows what Kyungsoo is implying. “Hyung. Sometimes we just don’t know. It’s not the same as lying. So don’t be hard on yourself.”

“But Jongin. I know. I know how I feel. But I always deny. I’m so selfish and I don’t consider anyone else’s feelings at all. I thought my feelings for you will go away if I dated other people. And it didn’t work.”

“After all this time, why now? Why are you saying this to me now?” Jongin asks.

“Seeing Eunji and the other girls get attacked like this because of me, I feel horrible. So, I think I need to take care of my feelings and stop messing with others. I have come to my senses but I hope it’s not too late. I’m sorry, Jongin-ah,” Kyungsoo apologises.

“Kyungsoo, don’t say sorry. Right now, I can tell you that I like you as much as I did when I confessed, if not more. But, give me some time to get over the things that happened in the past. I will come back to you. So, until then, wait on me.” Jongin holds his hand tightly to reassure him.

Kyungsoo nods. It is the least he can do. Jongin is generous enough to give him a chance after all the times he hurt him and he is really thankful for that. “I’ll wait for you.”

“What are we going to do about her now?” Jongin points at Eunji.

“Should we take her to the dorms? I think someone will be pretty thrilled to see her,” Kyungsoo says.

“Who? Does a member like her?” Jongin asks enthusiastically.

“I’ll tell you all about it when the time is right.”

“Aahhh. Look at you. Already started keeping secrets, huh?” he joking pushes Kyungsoo.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

A/N: So I suddenly decided to bring some Kaisoo fluff into the story. Initially, I was going to make a Eunsoo ship but I gave up because I felt like I was putting too many guys into her love life. So I paired Kyungsoo with Jongin.I have specific things that I have decided for the story that are fixed. But for the rest of it, I try to go with the flow and am constantly coming up with new ideas to write about. I have more twists and BaekJi moments coming up in the next update, so please anticipate it. >.<

My BMAT test went horrible so I have resorted to prayers so that a university will offer me an interview. Since the test is over, I’m able to make time to write the fanfic. I was watching EXO Second Box the other day. So many kaisoo moments!!! I am a hardcore KaiSoo shipper and proud of it. They seem so real so I’m glad that this ship (even though it’s not BaekJi) is sailing. I also saw iKON’s My Type performance and got extremely jealous when I saw Hanbin hugging that girl. Like aljslkdfhksdfk...I know he’ll never know I exist, but can’t help the jealousy.. Ugh, the struggle of being a fangirl. Well, at least, I don’t threaten the girls that he interacts with.

BTW, I’m super excited for the B.A.P comeback. All my friends seem to have forgotten them and I’m still fretting about how Daehyun’s voice makes my heart melt. Anyways, thanks to all the readers and new subbers. ^^ Happy reading and be happy.