CHAPTER ONE ~ The Arrogant, Pink-haired Ghost

The Broker

The campus is buzzing with students. Everyone looks so bright and smiley. After all, it is the first day of university. Baekhyun didn't get a lot of time to get ready in the morning since he woke up late. He didn't even get a chance to put on his signature eyeliner. He recalls last night's party - at least how it began. The rest is a blur. Even though he feels like he hasn't got enough sleep, he feels as ready as ever to start his second year at Seoul University. He ruffles his hair and straightens his shirt as he enters the hallway. Unusually, he finds no one staring at him like they normally do.

Perhaps, all of them are new students and don't know who I am, he thinks to himself and grins cockily. He waves at a couple of second-year students but gets no response. Feeling flustered, he rushes to the cafeteria. There, he finds his friends, the other eleven guys from EXO, the university's most popular boy band. The guys are surrounded by people. The cafeteria is EXO's proclaimed territory. If anyone wants to see EXO, they come here. He thinks it is weird that no one is paying attention to him today. Usually, he has a hoard of girls (and boys) following him around and giving him gifts throughout the day. Some even go as far as to take pictures of everything he does and send it to him with odes attached to it. He has even dyed his hair pinkish blonde the day before to catch some eyes this new term and he looks so damn good with it.

The boys look grim today. As he reaches them, he punches Chanyeol in the arm. 

"What was that?" Chanyeol looks around with a confused expression on his face. His eyes are bloodshot like he has been crying all night long. 

"Why is everyone ignoring me today? Is this some kind of a prank the whole campus is participating in?" Baekhyun yells jokingly. But it is true that EXO can make the whole university take part in anything they want. 

Chanyeol continues to look around. Finally, he gives up and resumes talking to the boys. Frustrated, Baekhyun walks into the middle of the circle of guys. "What kind of joke is this?" he yells at them. Realizing that they are still taking no notice of him, he barges out of the group and accidentally bumps into Kyungsoo and Chanyeol's shoulders while doing so. 

"Stop bumping into me" Chanyeol says to Kyungsoo. 

"I thought you bumped into me" Kyungsoo says. Baekhyun throws one last glare at his friends and leaves the cafeteria. Have I done something really stupid last night that resulted in me becoming a social pariah instantaneously?, he wonders to himself. He has no idea, because he was hammered last night because of all the drinking. 

 

The library is quiet. There isn't a lot of people inside. Everyone is apparently following the norms and "socializing" outside, which means they are trying to impress people and lure them into becoming their friends by pretending to be someone who is a lot cooler than who they actually are. Eunji isn't about that life. She already has a bunch of dead people she knows. Living in the middle of the living and spirit world, she has to keep track of a lot of people and it is hard to remember all their names. She tends to pay more attention to the sprits' names because they are emotionally vulnerable and occasionally throw tantrums if she forgets their names. People, living people, may think she is rather lonely, but she does have a lot of friends. And trust her when she says that ghost friends are better than living ones. They can tell you a lot of stuffs and secrets, for instance, who is dating who, who dissed her behind her back or what the answer to question 11 is during the exams. 

It is her first day in university, but she hasn't seen a single spirit yet. There are two boys at the table with books sprawled across it, but she can also see their feet under the table, teasing each other. She tuts and walks towards the back of the library. As she approaches her destination, she hears someone sniveling. Oh God! AWKWARD SITUATION ALERT! she shouts mentally. Even though she is a Broker, she is particularly bad at consoling sad people. She almost turns around to avoid the situation when a familiar faint glow catches her eyes. She peeks behind the shelf to see a pinkish-blonde haired guy, who is looking outside the window with his back hunched. There, she has found her first Seoul spirit. 

"Hey there. You alright?" she tries to sound caring. The boy looks up to reveal a clear porcelain skin, doe eyes and thin lips. 

"Finally I see someone who looks more depressing than I feel" he says. She looks at her reflection in the window. Well, she can't blame him. She is dressed fully in black and has thick eyeliner on. She was almost going to put on dark purple lipstick this morning but she decided to spare the people who will be seeing her today. 

"Yo! Don't judge me!" she snaps back at him. "What's your problem?"

"My problem is none of your business" he sneers. 

"Actually, it is. Don't you realize I am a Broker?" 

"A what?" Baekhyun asks, looking confused.

"Ugh! I guess you are one of those newbies who doesn't know they are dead" she groans. It is quite hard to explain the Broker-Spirit relationship to someone who doesn't know they are dead yet. 

She steers his eyes towards the window and points at it. "Look at the reflection."

He squints his eyes. "You're not pretty."

"Thanks for pointing that out even though I didn't ask for your opinion" she mutters. She clears . "Do you see your own reflection?"

He looks at the window and stays quiet for a minute.

After heaving a long sigh, he shouts, "WHAT THE ACTUAL ?!"

"Let me put this nicely..... Ummm.... You're dead" Eunji says blandly. 

"What the is happening?" he whispers, running his hand through his hair. "But- But how can you see me?"

"Told ya. I'm a Broker. I'm Eunji. Jung Eunji"

​Eunji sits beside Baekhyun as she explains to him what a Broker does. She tells him he has to help her find what is holding him back in this world so that she could resolve his problems and let him move on to his next life.

"Let me be clear. You can touch people or slip through them on your will. But they can't hear you. Well, they can't unless you shriek at the top of your lungs and even then, your voice will not be that loud" she informs him. 

"This is ridiculous" Baekhyun says, rolling his eyes so hard it could have popped out of his eye sockets. 

"Death is inevitable", she says in a matter-of-factly tone. 

"But I'm so young! Why did I die?" he complains. "I don't know how to feel. What do I do now?"

"Well, you can-"

"There you are!" someone shouts. It is Hoya. "What the hell are you doing here? It's the first day, for god's sake."

"Aaahh. You scared me, Hoya!" she squeals in falsetto. "What are you doing here?"

"Is this your boyfriend?" Baekhyun asks her. She firmly ignores him.

"You're the only one I know here. Where else should I be?" Hoya says. 

"Let's go out and get some coffee." Eunji says, standing up. Hoya agrees.

As they start walking away, "Hey!" Baekhyun shouts. "Are you actually going to leave me here on my own? What am I supposed to do? You're not doing your job properly. You should be fired." Unfortunately for him, he doesn't earn the slightest bit of reaction from Eunji.