~Broker 101~

The Broker

Eunji is a 19 year old Broker who just started studying Fine Arts in Seoul University. A Broker is a person who can mediate between the dead and their past. Yes, they can see spirits and communicate with them. Strong-willed people are able to move on after their death. They can resolve their regrets and move on to their next life. A person with immensely strong willpower is even able to remember things that happened in their past life, or lives. But the weak-willed can't move on because they are unable to realise their own regrets and mistakes and get stuck in the living world as spirits. Brokers help these spirits by researching their past and finding out what is holding them back. They help the spirits face their issues and wrap up their unfinished business so they can start their next life afresh. Spirits are unseen and ignored by non-Brokers, which makes them get frustrated of their insignificance to the rest of the world. That is why most of them have an acquired habit of annoying and scaring people, just to have themselves noticed.

Brokers are no ordinary people. They are chosen because they have been through harsh times and know how it feels like to be ignored by the world. That is why they are able to relate with the spirits and have the motivation to help them. 

Eunji never knew her dad. He was never there for her and her mom seldom talked about him. And when she did, she would always end up with piles of tissues. As a kid, she always wondered why the little kids at the picnic have two parents, and she only had a mother. She wondered why she never had a dad who taught her how to cycle, like the other kids. Sometimes, someone would ask her who or where her dad was and she would say he was waiting for her in heaven. 

Her mother was young and pretty. She had given birth to Eunji when she was only 18, which was why she didn't have a high salary job. She used to work as a waitress in a pub and did long shifts to earn them a living. Working in pub came along with having to face harassment from drunkards, so her mom would always cry quietly every night. One night, at 11 o'clock, Eunji was waiting in her bed for her mom to come back from work. After what seemed like an eternity, the sun rose and her mom never came back. She was 13 years of age then. The social workers came to her the next morning and admitted her to an orphanage. She got a new mother at the orphanage and made new brothers and sisters, but she was always too scared to keep someone close to her. The orphanage was always busy and she didn't get the attention that she probably would, had she been with her mother. She kept going back to the pub where her mom worked so she could ask someone the whereabouts of her mother but it was always closed. When she was 17, she discovered that her mom was and then killed that night in the pub by the workers. They were arrested and the pub had been closed since.

After a year of teary, lonely nights, she saw her first spirit. She became a Broker. After a few days, the Global Brokers Association contacted her and explained to her the guidelines of being a Broker. She was confused, but fascinated.

This year, she finally left her orphanage in Busan and headed to Seoul. She was a bit bothered about moving to a new place, because she had to introduce herself to new spirits and probably to new Brokers as well. But at least she had her best friend from the orphanage coming along with her. 

On their way to Seoul in the bus, she looks at Hoya with an amused face. Hoya is singing along to Girls Generation songs loudly, earning himself strange looks from their fellow passengers.