CHAPTER THREE ~ Baekhyun's Broker friend

The Broker

The Baekhyun before he died would have binged watched at the cinema if it was all for free, but right now, he has too many things on his mind. Baekhyun sighs as he kicks a pebble off the pavement. As he approaches his dorm, he contemplates if whether going to his old room would be too hard on him. After giving it much thought, he decides to pay a visit. When he arrives at the door, he hears sniffling and muffled sounds. It is his mom. He passes through the door and sees his mom on his bed, crying.

“Where is our Baekhyun? I want him back. Where is he?”, she wails. His father is on the phone and he hates how even after his death, his father couldn’t care about his mom. He looks at him in contempt. He wishes he could console his mom. He regrets not visiting his mom on holidays because he was so engulfed in writing EXO’s new album.

Baekhyun’s thoughts are interrupted when he hears the door creak as it opens. He looks up and sees Do Kyungsoo, his friend and fellow vocalist in EXO. Kyungsoo looks at him with his eyes wide open. With a shocked face, he turns around and exits the room as quickly as he came in. It takes a minute for Baekhyun to figure out what is going on.

“Kyungsoo-ah”, Baekhyun shouts from behind. Kyungsoo walks even faster, not looking back. “KYUNGSOO-AH. STOP RIGHT THERE. I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME!”

Kyungsoo enters the storage room. Baekhyun figures that Kyungsoo doesn’t want to be seen talking to thin air in public and follows him. “Why did you avoid me?”

Kyungsoo sighs. “I’m speechless. I can’t believe this.”

“What? Is it your first time seeing a spirit?” Baekhyun asks him.

“No”, Kyungsoo is silent for a while. “I just..... I guess you have met another Broker before me since you know you are ...... well... dead.”

“Yeah”, Baekhyun mutters. “How long has it been since my death? Was it yesterday? Did you go to my funeral?”

“The thing is, no one has found your body yet. Everyone still believes that you are missing. I kept wishing you would come back until now.” Kyungsoo winces.

“Great. I don’t even know what is going on. I don’t remember anything from my last day.”

“That’s what Brokers are here for. Your Broker will help you. And I will too” , Kyungsoo tells him. “God, what could have happened to you?”

When they hear footsteps outside, Baekhyun says, “I think the Matron is going to check if you are in your room soon. It’s late. Go to sleep. I’ll be back soon.”

“Okay. Just try to recollect your memories from your last day and let me know if you remember anything”, Kyungsoo smiles softly at him.

“Will do. And yeah, just take care of my Umma.”

“Of course.”

 

 

The dorm is creepily quiet tonight. Kim Taeyeon is not here, nor is every other residents of the dorm. What the is going on? Eunji thinks to herself, suspecting if someone is playing a ghost prank on her. Is this some sort of prank that people play on freshers in university? She is in her bed already even though it is just eight in the evening. She grabs the duvet close to her chest. The dorm is so quiet and eerie. As a Broker, she is aware that ghosts are not necessarily evil beings, but she still gets creeped out when she is alone and it is quiet. She closes her eyes. Close your eyes and you’ll fall asleep. But her head is full of white noise. There is a lot going on in her head so it feels impossible to drift into sleep right now. She gives up on falling asleep and opens her eyes.

“AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Baekhyun face was too close to hers, his nose almost touching hers.

“Do you have to greet me like that every time you see me?”, he grumbles.

“You were invading my personal space”, she complains, throwing a pillow at him. It goes right through him, penetrating his spirit. He fakes a heart attack. “I am sorry”, she apologises.

“Nah, it’s fine. I was just playing around”, says Baekhyun.

“No. Your death is not a joke.” Eunji has a grim expression on her face.

“Speaking of death, my friend Kyungsoo said that everyone else don’t know about my death. They all think I have only gone missing.”

“Your friend Kyungsoo what?”

“Yeah, turns out he is a Broker too”, Baekhyun confirms. When he looks at Eunji, she is deeply immersed into her thoughts. He waves his hands in front of her eyes. “You look like a philosopher. What are you thinking about? The origin of life and why we exist?”

Eunji just smiles at him.

“Anyways, what are you doing here? It’s Freshers Orientation night. There are pretty cool things going on at the campus”, Baekhyun asks her.

“I am a philosopher. I prefer to be alone and think about deep stuffs”, she teases him.

“Do you want to go there with me? I’ll keep you company. Honestly, you look so lonely right now”, he says.

Eunji checks her phone. There are 3 missed calls and 5 texts from Hoya.

Hoya: Busan Girl, where are you?

Hoya: Hey! DON’T IGNORE ME!!!

Hoya: There is something cool going on at the campus. Come join me.

Hoya: I am singing for the crowd tonight. If you don’t see me, I’ll announce that I am in love with you. I have lots of fangirls already and I don’t think they will be happy to hear it.

Hoya: I will be waiting. Please come tonight.

Eunji sighs. “Alright, let’s go”, she says to Baekhyun.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

 

There is a huge crowd around the stage. It is a starry night and the atmosphere is buzzing. Hoya is waiting near the entrance when Eunji arrives at the venue. He runs to her when he sees her.

“You came”, he says, panting.

“Of course, you are my little brother. I should be cheering for you”, Eunji ruffles his hair. Hoya looks down at the ground.

“One month is not a lot. Stop acting like a big sister”, he protests.

“Do well. You have to become really famous and shine like a star, right?”

“Yah, do you remember the promise I made to you when we were fifteen?”, Hoya asks her.

“Of course, little brother.”

“If you don’t stop calling me that, I will stop talking to you”, Hoya complains and leaves to rehearse for his performance.

“Your boyfriend is not that bad, actually”, Baekhyun snoops in after Hoya has left.

“He is not my boyfriend”, Eunji says through gritted teeth. “He is my dongsaeng.”

“It’s a pity he doesn’t seem to think the same.”

“Ugh... I don’t understand guys”, Eunji whines.

“Guys don’t understand girls either.”

Suddenly, there is an extremely loud cheer from the crowd. Eunji is startled and Baekhyun is grinning. Eleven boys dressed in black appear on the stage. Everyone is screaming.

“Hello, we are one EXO”, they greet after the crowd calms down.

“This song called El Dorado is dedicated to our very special friend. Wherever you are, please be back soon”, Suho says. Everyone breaks into applause.

“Wah...So noisy”, Eunji is covering her ears beside Baekhyun.

Baekhyun smiles at her. “That’s my band, EXO. They’re my friends.”

“Ah, you must be super popular. It’s an honour to have met you”, she teases him.

Everyone is captivated by the performance. Hearing the lyrics makes Baekhyun stifle a cry. He looks up and the sky and makes a wish on a star. He finds Eunji looking at him.

“You miss them, don’t you?”, she says. It doesn’t sound like a question.

He just nods. After a while, to her surprise, he leans onto her shoulder. She looks at him and almost tries to shove him off when she realises that no one can see him and that he really needs someone right now. She just smiles at him. The crowd erupts once again after the performance. The next performer is a guy from EXO too. Another guy with a guitar accompanies him. The host announces that they are going to do a cover of Justin Bieber’s Boyfriend. Eunji starts paying attention when she hears “Boyfriend by Justin Bieber”.

People are cheering “Kyungsoo Oppa” “I love you” and “Marry me”.

When the boy opens his mouth and starts singing, Eunji’s heart melts. She started singing along quietly in the audience. “Daebak, this guy is awesome”, she says to Baekhyun.

“Of course, it’s Kyungsoo.”

“I thought you were asleep. Wait. What? You mean, your Broker friend Kyungsoo? No way!!!”, Eunji is shocked.

“Actually, I am not that bad at it either. You should hear me sing. I’m sure you’ll fall for me.”

“Pffttt..! You think too highly of yourself”, she snorts.

After some songs, Hoya comes up on the stage. He sings Ed Sheeran’s Thinking Out Loud and all the girls swoon. Eunji smiles and cheers loudly for him, “HOYA YOU ARE THE BEST!!”

“Jeez, I can do better”, Baekhyun nudges her.

 

On their way home, Eunji stops at the convenience store to get a cup ramen. She sits at the table and waits for her ramen to cook.

“I wish I can eat”, Baekhyun says wishfully. Eunji giggles and teases him.

A guy dressed in all black outfits sits beside her. He has a mask covering his nose and lips but his eyes give him away.

“By any chance, are you Do Kyungsoo?”, Eunji asks nervously.

“Ah, why, yes”, he takes his mask off and smiles at her.

“I became a fan after I saw your performance tonight. You are awesome”, she tries hard not to fangirl and creep him out.

“Thank you”, he says politely and laughs. As she is eating her ramen, a group of girls approach their table.

“Hey, who the hell are you?”, one of them asks her rudely.

“Excuse me?” Eunji is dumbfounded.

“What are you doing near our Kyungsoo oppa. Are you harassing him? Do you want to die?”, she yells at her.

“Sojin-shi, cut it out”, Kyungsoo tells the girl. “This girl is my girlfriend.”

Eunji stares at Kyungsoo with wide open. Baekhyun exclaims and starts cussing about what a “ing brave bastard” Kyungsoo is to make a girl his girlfriend without even asking her out.

“Yah, Kyungsoo oppa. How can you do this to us? She is not that pretty anyway” Sojin rolls her eyes and signals the group to leave. She gives them a death glare before she starts walking away.

“I am sorry about this. Don’t worry. There are some pesky people around but I’ll take care of them”, Kyungsoo pats her head.

Eunji is still speechless. “No. No way! I told you I’m your fan but you don’t have to take it this far. I am not that pathetic.”

Kyungsoo grins. “Hmmm, this is weird. You are my girlfriend, but what is your name?”

“I don’t want to tell you now”, Eunji stands up and leaves the table. Baekhyun follows her.

“Wow..... my bro is so shameless.”

“Right, he is.”

 

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi peeps, I have been super busy the last few month since I started my senior year at school and also applied to university. OMG OMG, I am so nervous. What if none of them accepts me.

Well, about the story..... I have many exciting things to put in the story so please anticipate it. I hope my BaekJi ship sails T_T....I was watching EXO's Dome concert last week and omfg, did you hear Kyungsoo sing Boyfriend. It was so freaking amazing. I am so in love with him. A lot of stuffs happened since my last update. Like Baek and Taeyeon broke up. I am not a big fan of her but I honestly don't think she deserved to get all the hate she did. She sounds like an awesome woman. Even if people don't like her, they should leave her be and not attack her. Anyways, these days, I have started liking iKon a lot. What do you think about a B.I. (Hanbin) fanfic ^^ Today is Hanbin's birthday!!!! Happy birthday Hanbin!!!! anyways, I hope you have a great day. I'll be updating soon.