Speak of the Devil

Impossible Love

Chansung's POV

The next few months seemed almost surreal. I felt so happy and alive it was unbelievable. Who knew..who knew finding someone to trust again could make one feel so free. Everyday after Junho's lesson at the Communications Building we would hang out and spend time together. At the park, at the street markets, at the mall, anywhere. All we cared about was spending time with each other. And on the weekends we hung out even more. We were nearly always together 24/7, yet we didn't mind that at all. We cherished every moment we spent together, as though every second together would be our last. 

I told him about my 6th sense thing. He didn't seem to mind at all. In fact, it almost made him happier that there was something like that to help us connect more. Overtime I could connect with him, even more so than with my brother and Wooyoung. At rare moments i could even see into his mind and see what he is thinking, thought that was incredibly rare. 

One evening we were hanging out at my apartment, cooking for each other and talking like usual. Suddenly there was the sound of thunder, then the sound of heavy rain coming down. I heard Junho get up, then he started dragging me downstairs to the cafe. We suddenly stopped when we reached the cafe doors. I was about to ask what was wrong when I heard Nichkhun say,

"It's better if you stayed here for the night, Junho. The rain's too heavy for you to walk in. It's too dangerous."

Of course there was no verbal response, so I assumed Junho shook his head because Nichkhun goes on to say,

"The rain will crush you as soon as you step outside. Even you can see the rain's much too heavy to travel in. What would you do if something happened and you needed to call for help?"

Catching on to the situation I said,

"Nichkhun's right Junho. It'd be safer for you to stay here for the night, or at least until the rain lets up."

"The weatherman says the rain's not letting up until tomorrow morning anyways," Wooyoung says as he comes out of the kitchen.

There was a pause, then I heard a sigh and felt Junho cutely tug at my arm, signally he'll agree to stay.

As we made our way back up the stairs, Nichkhun mischievously calls up to me,

"Don't do anything to him, Chansung! He's still young!"

I swear if i could rolll my eyes i would at this moment.

"I'm not like you, hyung!" I called back as we entered my apartment.

Junho's POV

Oh god i'll be sleeping in the same apartment as Chansung, I thought as I felt my cheeks heat up at the thought. I'm not going to be able to get through this...

"I have a spare room you can stay in, though I don't know how clean it is at the moment," Chansung said apologetically as he led me to the room. The room was sparsely decorated, with only a bed, night table, lamp, and closet inside. The sheets, curtains, and walls were all white. 

"You should be able to find something to wear to bed in the closet. Feel free to use the shower if you want." He then leaned in and lightly kissed me on the top of my head and said, "If you need anything my room's next door, ok?" 

i tugged his arm in recognition. He smiled and ruffled my hair, then walked over to his room. 

I quickly found a pair of sweats to wear, then made my way to the bathroom. As soon as i closed the door I looked at myself in the mirror, to find my cheeks still blazing red from his sweet kiss on my head.

gahhh Junho why are you reacting this way?! I thought to myself as i leaned over the sink, trying to get my face to cool down. You've dating for 6 months, you shouldn't be getting flustered over something as small as this...

I sighed, then looked at myself in the mirror. Is it a good thing that I still get flustered over every show of affection he gives me? Or am i just being overly sensitive...

I quickly shook my head and slapped my cheeks in an attempt to dislodge anymore of those thoughts. I then took a shower and pulled on Chansung's sweats. They were much too big, the sleeves going clear over my hands, the hem of the pants bunched up around my ankles. I noticed the sweats were incredibly comfortable and very soft, and i hugged myself to enjoy it. Without thinking I breathed into the sweats. 

It smells...like him...I blushed at this thought, though I didn't stop breathing into his sweats. 

I shuffled my way back to the spare room, turned off the lights, then crawled into bed. The sound of the pounding rain soon lulled me to sleep, the smell and feel of his sweats comforting me.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a gasp, my body trembling uncontrollably, my heart hammering in my chest. That dream...why is it coming back now? I tightly hugged myself in a vain attempt to stop my tremors and calm myself down.

Too scared to go back to sleep alone, I made my way to Chansung's room next door. As i entered, I smiled as I saw Chansung sleeping peacefully in a deep slumber.

I lightly shook him and signed,

Can i sleep with you? I'm too scared...

He groggily stirred semi-awake and mumbled, "..sure i dont mind..."

I crawled into bed with Chansung contentedly. Right when i was settling down Chansung suddenly grabs me and hugs me to his chest, as you would a teddy bear.

My heart started beating 10 times faster, and i was about to ask him what is he doing when I realized he is already asleep, his breaths ghosting across my forehead. 

i smiled, realizing he probably was doing this unconsciously in his sleep. I snuggled closer to him and fell back asleep, his body giving off a comforting warmth. Maybe now the dream won't come back...

Chansung's POV

I woke up to someone trembling and whimpering beside me. I was alarmed with why someone would be in bed with me when I remembered that Junho came to sleep with me in the middle of the night. 

"Junho?" I whispered with concern.

He didnt' answer, his whimpers and trembling only increasing. He's stil asleep...a nightmare?

Suddenly I was overwhelmed with so much fear I felt as though it was going to swallow me up. A scene flashed through my mind, of sinister looking people looking down at me, a bloody bat held above me. 

"Someone..help me...please...help..." I whimpered as the sinister people beat me. Is this...Junho's nighmare?

At this point he started to thrash about, his whimpers becoming more audible and filled with fear. I immediately reacted and started to shake him awake.

"Wake up! Junho, wake up!"

He woke up with a gasp, his thrashings stopping though his tremors didn't. There was a pause, then Junho suddenly clutched onto my shirt, burying his face into my chest, his breath coming out in relieved gasps.his tremors, uneven breathing, and hammering heart filled me with more concern as I instinctively hugged him closer to me.

"Hey it's ok it's just a dream..." I whispered comfortingly as I attempted to calm him down by gently rubbing his back. He only clutched harder onto my shirt, as though to make sure i was really there. He then grabbed my hand and signed,

No..no it wasn't...

"What do you mean it wasn't?" I asked in confusion. 

I guess...I should telll you. about how i became...this way.

This was a topic we never discussed with each other before. Of how we both got our impairities. It was almost taboo the way we avoided talking about, skirting around it as though it was the plague. We never found it necessary to discuss it, though it was more out of fear of the pain we were afraid to experience if we put our memories into words. As much as we wanted to know, we never asked each other knowing we wouldnt want to be asked it either. We respected each other for hiding that part of ourselves. After all, we shouldn't be dwelling on the past, but on the here and now and the future. No matter what happened in the past we would still love each other. Nothing in the world would ever change that.

He retracted from my embrace slightly to be able to sign to me better. With a trembling sigh, he began his story.

He told me all about his painful past. How he was different from everyone else, with his red hair, talented voice, and high grades. how everyone resented him for it and started to bully him little by little. Until one day it went too far. 

It hurt me to hear about his past. It hurt me to know that my lover was in so much pain and suffering at one point in his life. I could tell it was painful for him to remember and put them into words, his hands trembling as he signed. But he continued, wanting me to know about this part of his life. 

So the nightmare I was having was of the day i lost my voice...thought I don't know why it's starting to come back now he signed as he finished his story. I heard him give a sigh of relief, then leaned his head against my chest, relieved he was done. i then pulled him into a tight, protective embrace and whispered,

"I'm so sorry...it mustve been so hard on you...if only i could've been there to protect you..."

It's ok there's nothing you can do to change what's happened. besides you're here with me now, and that's all that matters. the past is the past... he signed as he hugged me back tightly. 

We stayed in our embrace for a while, the only sound being the pounding rain still falling outside. 

We both couldn't fall back asleep, so we migrated to the couch in the living room. We sat in a contented silence, a blanket wrapped around the both of us to keep us warm. After a while Junho timidly signs,

Is it...ok if i ask about your past? how you became blind?

I bit my lip as i considered an answer. It's only fair that I tell him...after all he trusted me enough to tell me about his past...he has a right to know. 

I sighed and replied, "I'll tell you. after all you have the right to know. You trusted in me... and now I'll trust in you."

I felt him snuggle closer to me, readying himself for my story.

I exhaled deeply, then began.

"It all started 6 years ago, when I met the love of my life at that moment. A girl by the name of Eun Sun. It turned out she also loved me back, and we started dating. She's the heiress to the largest jewelry corporation in Korea, making her family very rich and affluential in the industry. Many said I only dated her for the money and connections, but that wasnt true. i truely loved her at the time. We dated happily for 3 years, nothing coming between us at all. I loved her and she loved me, and I thought nothing in the world would change that. Or so i thought.

It happened one rainy day. We were going to be late for a concert we were going to, so Eun Sun and I were in a hurry. We were at a crosswalk, and though it was a red light there was no cars crossing. So Eun Sun decided to cross without waiting for the light to turn. But right when she did a car came speeding in the rain right towards her. Acting out of impulse I pushed her out of the way and got hit instead. After that I don't remember much. It's all a mixture of sirens wailing and people murmuring and someone screaming. When I came to I was in the hospital, though I didn't realize it at first. I had woken up to darkness, and I thought i was dead. The nurse ended up telling me that the accident had caused me to lose my sight. I was devastated, but I thought that as long as I had Eun Sun i can keep on living. 

Then the day came when i could receive visitors. The nurse told me she was here, so i knew she was there. we just stayed there in complete silence, until i tentatively called out her name. At the sound of her name from my mouth she screamed, and i heard something break. 

'Don't ever talk to me again! you..you disformed creature!' 

those were the last words i ever heard from her. She ran out after that, slamming the door behind her. hearing those words from her...it hurt more than if someone stabbed me 100 times and poured salt on my wounds. i wanted to die. there was no point in living anymore. 

I tried committing suicide many times during my stay in the hospital. eventually it got so bad they had to tie me down just so i would stop hurting myself. They were scared to release me, scared that i would do something reckless if i was out of the hospital's sight. 

The thing that brought me out of my suicidal state was my parents coming to see me. They work overseas alot, so I rarely got to see them. When they heard I got hurt they flew over as fast as possible, but their fastest was 3 months after the accident. They brought some sense into me, and slowly i came back to my normal self. A month later i was deemed able to be released, and as soon as i was released i started studying at the Communications Building, in a newfound determination to do something with my life. i locked away everything that had to do with Eun Sun and instead focused on building a life for myself, despite having troubles trusting people. That is until i met y-"

I stopped midsentence, as I heard sniffling coming from Junho.

"Hey...what's wrong?" I whispered, pulling him into my lap facing me. I gently touched his cheek and found it wet. He's crying?

"Please don't cry. I'm sorry maybe i shouldn't have told you," I whispered as i gently kissed away his tears. 

no...i'm glad you told me. it's just...it's so sad...how could she..how could she turn on you when you needed her the most?! you saved her..and yet that's how she repays you? how could she just...DO that?

At this Junho started to full out cry, his tears falling on my hand he's signing on. There was a quick connection, and I could feel how sad and pained he felt for me. the connection then disappeared as quickly as it came.

Hearing him cry...feeling how deeply his emotions ran for me touched my heart so deeply it almost made me want to cry myself. I wouldve never thought it possible to find someone who loved me so much to feel so much pain and sorrow for me. But i did..and he's right here in front of me..crying for my sake.

"Hey as you said... it's all in the past now. I'm over all that stuff now. I have you and that's all that matters," I whispered as i pulled him closer to me.

I know...but still...it hurts to know someone would do that to you. I would never do something like that! not to you, not to anyone!

Feeling his strong words I smiled and said, "I know you wouldn't. That's why I trust you."

I then kissed him, softly at first, then strongly and passionately, both of us letting our feelings run clear and deep into each other.

The morning came, the sun's warmth warming me up. I woke up to find that Junho was still in my lap, blissfully and cutely asleep against my chest. I smiled as i gently his hair, enjoying the moment. 

All of a sudden my "Hands Up" ringtone went off on my phone, signalling that someone was calling me.

Who could it be? i thought as I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hello there Chansung! We haven't talked in SOOO long!"

Speak of the devil.

 

A/N: hi there! ^^ thank you for the kind comments i'm glad you guys are liking the story :))) super long update for christmas, yeah? hehe Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Hope you guys get to spend it with friends and family :)