Right Where We Are

Newsflash

“So?” Jongdae leaned closer with a smirk on his face, making Baekhyun lean back in his chair with a grimace. “How far have you and Sehun gotten?”

 

Baekhyun scoffed and kept his gaze away from Jongdae’s scrutinizing eyes. “I don't know what you mean.”

 

“Oh you know?” Jongdae picked up an imaginary piece of thread from the table and pretended to examine it closely. “First base, second base, or have you two gone for the home run?” He threw the invisible piece of thread over his shoulder with a smile.

 

Baekhyun let out a humorless laugh and stood up from the table to walk to the kitchen. “Oh please. It's only been like three months since we've become official. We don't plan on moving that fast. You and Yixing didn't move that fast I bet.”

 

Jongdae had followed him to the kitchen and had his thinking face on. “Well. Not exactly. We skipped all the bases and went for the grand slam if you know what I mean.”

 

Baekhyun was in the middle of pouring himself a cup of orange juice, but stopped himself to look at Jongdae curiously. “No. I don't know what you mean.”

 

“We kinda did the friends with benefits thing for a good year before we officially went out,” Jongdae explained. “You didn't think we dated that soon, did you?”

 

“I-I mean you two kinda acted like you were dating,” Baekhyun stuttered out. “I just assumed-”

 

Jongdae shook his head and wagged his finger at Baekhyun. “Not every relationship starts out all innocently Mr. Byun Baekhyun. Of course that's just your ideal.”

 

“I mean. I know that some don't-But like. I assumed you two just like-what? Yixing is-I don't understand.” Jongdae merely smiled at him and Baekhyun frowned at the response as he capped the juice carton.

 

“Don't think Yixing is all that innocent cause damn-”

 

“I do not need to hear about your life,” Baekhyun interrupted him and took a sip of orange juice while glaring at Jongdae. He just gave him a smile and took the cup from Baekhyun's hands.

 

Baekhyun was about reprimand him for taking his juice when his doorbell went off, multiple times. Too fast for a normal person to be ringing his doorbell. It had to Chanyeol. Or Sehun. But it was too early for Sehun to come over. So Chanyeol it was.

 

He left the orange juice thief in his kitchen as he went to open the door. Baekhyun was going to greet Chanyeol, but instead he got bear hugged the moment the door opened.

 

“Um? Chanyeol?” Baekhyun awkwardly patted him on his back, not knowing what was going on. He was going to say something when he felt Chanyeol tighten his grip around him as he took a shaky breathe.

 

“Is something wrong?” Baekhyun asked, starting to panic when Chanyeol doesn't say anything. “Did something happen?”

 

“So who's-WHOA. I thought we settled this stuff like a month ago, what's going on?” Jongdae tentatively walked over to the hugging friends, not sure what to do when they didn't separate, but instead hugged each other even tighter. Well Chanyeol did at least. Baekhyun just kinda stood there being crushed.

 

“Um?” Jongdae turned to the front door, it hasn't been closed and saw Yixing standing there with two bags full of groceries.

 

“Sup,” Jongdae greeted and took a sip of Baekhyun's orange juice. Yixing looked at Chanyeol and Baekhyun curiously then back to Jongdae for a possible explanation. “I don't know to be honest.”

 

Yixing slowly nodded and turned his head to where  voice came from down the hall. “Do you need help?”

 

Jongdae was about to ask who it was when a familiar tanned boy came into view.

 

“No but does Baekhyun hyung need any help?” Jongin strolled into the apartment holding a box full of fruit. He didn't even cast a glance to where his boyfriend and boyfriend's best friend were.

 

“I don't think so…” Yixing closed the door behind him and followed Jongin into the kitchen.

 

Jongdae just sighed and gave a kick to Chanyeol's , quickly leaving before he could get revenge on him.




 

It took some time to get Chanyeol off of Baekhyun, but they did it with promises of food and Jongin’s hugs. He let go of Baekhyun so fast that Jongdae could barely register the movement from one to the other.

 

Now they were seated at Baekhyun's dining table, which was the low table in his living room. Jongin and Chanyeol sat on one side, Yixing and Jongdae on another, and Baekhyun all alone on another side.

 

There was food spread out all over the table, courtesy of Yixing, but nobody ate since they were all too busy watching Jongin rub Chanyeol’s back as he looked down at his lap. Jongdae was unconsciously locking his hand with Yixing’s on top of the table. Baekhyun shifted his eyes between the couples and decided he missed Sehun.

 

So he turned the tv on to the news. More specifically the news Sehun was on. Instead all he got was a commercial.

 

“What's wrong Chanyeol?” Yixing asked, making Baekhyun tear his eyes away from the tv with a curse since Sehun's face just appeared. He must've looked disappointed since Jongdae wiggled his eyebrows at him when he turned back to face the table.

 

“He has a business trip,” Jongin answers for his sniffling boyfriend.

 

Chanyeol let out a cry as he hung onto Jongin’s arm. “It's for six months!” He rocked back and forth while dragging Jongin into the motions. Jongin didn't seem to care. “I don't wanna leave for six months!”

 

Jongdae shrugged at his misery and began to eat. “It's not like you haven't been gone for that long before. Which country are you heading to?”

 

“France.”

 

Baekhyun almost spit out the soup he was drinking and almost went into a coughing fit. He pounded his chest to get himself to swallow down the rest of the soup. “France for six months?!”

 

“Yeah,” Chanyeol sniffled. “Six months without Jongin!” he cried out as he latched onto Jongin.


“You'll be fine without me,” Jongin said in hopes of consoling his boyfriend. “We'll do the long distance thing until you get back.” He pat his thigh with a small smile. “There's nothing to worry about.”

 

“What if you meet someone else? What if you get taken away from me?? I can't handle that!” Chanyeol snuggled into Jongin’s side with a small whimper.

 

Baekhyun was going to say something to console his friend when he heard a knocking on his front door. He went up to see who it was, slightly thankful that the job of consoling was pushed onto Jongin, Jongdae, and Yixing. Baekhyun doesn't think he could do anything significant for Chanyeol. Jongin probably. Jongdae questionable. Yixing maybe.

 

He opened the door with a shake of his head when he heard Jongdae burst into laughter at whatever Chanyeol said.

 

“Seems like fun in there,” Luhan chirped as he smiled at Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun's eyes widened in surprise at seeing Luhan in front of him, but he quickly returned the smile. “What brings you here? I thought you'd be working.”

 

Luhan waved his hand in front of his face with a laugh. “Please. I only make your boyfriend look flawless on tv. There's not much to do during the actual broadcast. Plus Sehun asked me to drop this off.”

 

He raised a paper bag that Baekhyun didn't notice when he had walked in. Baekhyun took it and peeked inside becoming confused once he saw what was in it. “What is it?”

 

“Lemme look,” Luhan took the bag and a peered in. His eyebrows scrunched together in confusion and he took out the questionable item. “What the? It's just a book. Not even . That’s boring.”

 

Baekhyun took the book from Luhan and his face out up with a smile when he realized what it was. “It's the book I've been wanting! Wow. I didn't think he'd remember that I wanted this.” He flipped through the pages in wonder before a gloomy expression replaced his smile.

 

Luhan tilted his head in confusion, worry written all over his face. “What's wrong? Baekhyun?”

 

“I just feel kinda bad,” Baekhyun confessed as he held the book to his chest. “Sehun seems to be doing so much for me and I haven't been doing anything for him. I mean he’s even working and going to school at the same time and he still manages to get all this stuff for me.”

 

“I’m sure you're doing plenty. You might not give him a lot of gifts but there are other things you give him that aren't material,” Luhan assured him. He patted him on the shoulder for comfort.

 

“But still,” Baekhyun whispered as he looked down at the book in his hands. He looked back up at Luhan with conviction in his eyes. “What do you think I give him?”

 

Luhan shrugged with a crooked smile. “I don't know. Bubble tea?” Baekhyun gave him a blank stare. “I'm literally the worst person to ask about gifts. I only give people food believe it or not.”

 

“What would you get Minseok then?” Baekhyun questioned. “You wouldn't think of giving him food, would you?”

 

Luhan crossed his arms with a huff. “I can't believe you would think so lowly of me. Giving my significant other food? Preposterous.”

 

“You would.”

 

“Okay I would. But that's beside the point right now. This is about you, not me!” Luhan defended himself. “Why don't you give him something he's been wanting? Has he mentioned anything lately? Book? Food? New cell phone? Laptop? Anything?”

 

Baekhyun racked his head for anything Sehun might want. Trying hard to remember things he has said in the past few days, weeks, months they've spent together. Unfortunately for him, nothing comes to mind.

 

“I can't think of anything. Sehun doesn't really speak much about himself,” Baekhyun said dejectedly. “Do you know what he might want? You spend quite a bit of time with him at work don't you?”

 

Luhan scratches his chin in thought. “He mentioned once or twice that he wanted to hear you sing again. But I thought he'd be able to hear you sing anytime he wanted considering all the time you two spend together.”

 

“Singing…” Baekhyun snapped his fingers and looked at Luhan in happiness. “I have a gig! Tonight! Do you think you could bring him to that bar where you first saw me?” Baekhyun bounced up and down on the balls of his feet as he anticipated Luhan’s response.

 

Luhan let out a silent laugh and nodded. “Sure. What time does it start?”

 

“Ten! Thank you so much Luhan!” He threw his arm around Luhan in a tight hug.”I owe you.”

 

“You don't have to owe if you let me have some of the dinner. It smells really good and I'm kinda starving right now,” Luhan said as he pushed Baekhyun off of him to look at him with a sheepish smile. “Please?”

 

Baekhyun chuckled and nodded. “Sure. I don't think the others would mind too much.”

 

Luhan smiled in gratefulness and practically slipped into the apartment while Baekhyun closed the door behind him.

 

He slowly walked to the living room as he turned the book over in his hands looking at it with a soft expression. Baekhyun stopped to place the book down on the table next to the couch with all the other little trinkets Sehun had gotten him over the past few days.




 

“Luhan hyung,” Sehun groaned as he was being dragged around by the smaller male. “ I told you I just wanted to go home today. I have a paper due in a few days and I don't want to spend my time procrastinating on it. I would really enjoy some sleep at the moment as well.”

 

Luhan was ready to leave Sehun in the middle of the streets, but he promised Baekhyun and he got food out of it so he was determined to keep up his end of the bargain. However all the whining from Sehun was making it tempting to abandon him and get Baekhyun some food instead.

 

Luckily the bar came into view right when Luhan was about to let go of the whiner’s wrist. “Shut up and thank me later.”

 

He all, but shoved Sehun through the doors, almost making him run into a businessman that was leaving. Luhan gave him a polite smile as he walked past, trying to look unfazed at the glare he was getting.

 

Luhan quickly followed after Sehun when the businessman finally walked away.

 

Sehun sat himself down at a small table with a sigh. He looked tired as he watched Luhan sit himself down across from him.

 

“Beer? Wine? Or something else?” Luhan asked as he waved a waiter over.

 

“Water's fine,” Sehun said as he stifled a yawn behind his hand.

 

Luhan eyed him as he turned to the waiter. “One scotch on the rocks and a cup of water.” The waiter smiled and nodded before walking off to get their order.

 

Sehun took his glasses off to rub his eyes. “You're a boring person yanno,” Luhan comments as the waiter placed their drinks on the table. Sehun gave him a look as he placed his glasses back on. “Water at a bar. You have to be kidding me.”

 

“I'm sorry that I would like to be sober and tired rather than drunk and tired. Plus I have classes tomorrow,” Sehun reasoned as he took a sip of water. “Last time I drank with you I almost passed out in the streets. I do not want a repeat of that. No thank you.”

 

“Like I said no fun,” Luhan rolled his eyes as he dipped at his drink. His eyes drifted over to the small stage with a stand and microphone on it. He began to wonder where Baekhyun was otherwise he might have to force some drinks into Sehun to get him to stay.

 

He didn't really want to deal with a drink Sehun. Not that he was an annoying drunk or anything. Oh no, Sehun was that drunk that questioned everything. A philosophical drunk if you would. Luhan lost count of how many existential crises he went through in one night with a drunk Sehun. He would like to go through life without having to question his purpose of living ever again.

 

Luckily for Luhan, and possibly everyone within hearing distance, he saw Baekhyun walk out from the kitchen and tiptoe his way onto the stage. Apparently trying not to draw too much attention to himself, but failing as he almost knocked over the microphone stand, causing people to stare at him as he stood the stand back up.

 

Sehun apparently didn't notice as he was currently trying to fight his sleepiness off. Luhan wanted to slap him awake, but since his boyfriend was watching them, he refrained from doing so.

Baekhyun adjusted the height of the stand and tapped the microphone gently to get people’s attention. Sehun turned around at the noise and he suddenly felt more awake than he had been for the past hour when he made eye contact with the boy with the familiar droopy eyes and squarish smile.

“Good evening,”Baekhyun greeted with a small bow. “It’s nice to be back here. I hope you all will enjoy today’s songs as well.”

The few people in the bar clapped as Baekhyun nodded to the person who nods in response and begins to play the track for the instrumental.

 

When your legs don't work like they used to before

And I can't sweep you off of your feet

Will your mouth still remember the taste of my love?

Will your eyes still smile from your cheeks?


Baekhyun slowly searches throughout the bar and he smiled when he caught sight of a speechless Sehun, watching him. He closes his eyes in contentment as the words flow out of him.
 

And, darling, I will be loving you 'til we're 70

And, baby, my heart could still fall as hard at 23

And I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways

Maybe just the touch of a hand

Well, me - I fall in love with you every single day

And I just wanna tell you I am
 

So honey now

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

Place your head on my beating heart

I'm thinking out loud

Maybe we found love right where we are


In all honesty, Sehun just wants to fall asleep. Not just because of all the work he’s been doing lately, but because Baekhyun’s voice is lulling him to sleep. He just wants to close his eyes and let sleep take over him, but he can’t let this chance slip away.

 

When my hair's all but gone and my memory fades

And the crowds don't remember my name

When my hands don't play the strings the same way

I know you will still love me the same

 

'Cause honey your soul could never grow old, it's evergreen

And, baby, your smile's forever in my mind and memory

I'm thinking 'bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways

Maybe it's all part of a plan

Well, I'll just keep on making the same mistakes

Hoping that you'll understand


Baekhyun opens his eyes and immediately finds Sehun’s. He smiles at the sleepy look he was sporting and just hopes that he’s able to meet Sehun’s expectations.
 

That, baby, now

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

Place your head on my beating heart

Thinking out loud

Maybe we found love right where we are

 

So, baby, now

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

Oh, darling, place your head on my beating heart

I'm thinking out loud

But maybe we found love right where we are

Oh, baby, we found love right where we are

Oh, baby, we found love right where we are

 

“Thank you,” Baekhyun smiled and bowed down slightly at the light applause from everyone in the bar. “I hope you liked it. I have two more songs before I’m done for the night, I hope you can enjoy those as well.”

He made eye contact with Sehun and wanted to melt at how cute it looked with his half opened eyes and a ghost of a smile tugging at his lips. Sehun titled his head with his eyes turning into crescents as he waited expectantly for Baekhyun to continue. He held back a laugh at the cute act, instead focusing his attention on the microphone in front of him.

He readjusted the microphone with happiness swelling up in his chest and Baekhyun couldn’t help but think, maybe he did find love where Sehun was.



 

 

 


 

A/N: Only 45 minutes later than I wanted. But it’s out! The song was Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran if you didn’t know or couldn't figure it out. And I’ll be honest with you, the reason why it took me some time to get this out was because I couldn’t pick a song for Baek to sing. Haha whoops. But I’m pretty content with what I’ve chosen. Now I have to tell you the sad news. The next chapter is going to be the end :( I won’t say anymore, cause I’ll be more talking about Newsflash in another Author’s Note.

Until then, good bye~