Caught in Between

The Clan

Mi Hwa came out of the toilet after brushing her teeth. She switched the lights off. She got into the king-sized bed while her boyfriend G-Dragon was already sleeping. “Hey, sleepyhead,” she whispered into his ears, covering the thick, blue blanket over to keep them warm from the coldness and then smiled to herself in the dark.

He looked up to her sleepily. “Hey, Mi Hwa. Took you long enough,” he mumbled.

She leaned down and kissed him gently on the lips. “Good night.”

“Nights, babe,” he murmured while still kissing her, wrapping his arms around her.

She giggled as they made out for awhile before he fell asleep once again. She watched him as he slept. She couldn’t believe that she was here, with him. The leader of the ruthless Zaifhers! This was just like a wonderful fairytale. She was the princess and he was Prince Charming. This was a real, true fairytale! And the fairytale was just about to get even more exciting!

She would wait until tomorrow to tell him the good and exciting news. She knew he would be thrilled. She just couldn’t wait. They were going to be so happy! She looked up to the ceiling, smiling to herself. She wanted to wake him up and tell him the news, but she knew he had had a long day and needed a rest.

It can wait, she told herself. Right now, G-Dragon needs rest. The news can wait. Closing her eyes, she slowly drifted into a slumber. . . .

 

She woke up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason. She turned to see G-Dragon putting his clothes on before coming to kiss her. She quickly pretended to be asleep.

“I love you,” he murmured. She felt his soft breath on her face. His lips lingered on hers for a long time, as though he was thinking. But then he moved to her forehead, kissing her there lightly, caressing her gently.

She heard footsteps fade away to the door. She opened her eyes, glanced around, and realized that G-Dragon had walked out. As quickly as she could, she got up and got dressed in the first thing she saw — purple spaghetti-strapped shirt and blue jeans — and scurried out to keep up with him, wondering where he could possibly be going.

She followed G-Dragon right out of the Zaifhers Headquarters.

Hurriedly but quietly, G-Dragon walked down the streets in the dead of night, occasionally looking left and right to make sure no one was following him. Mi Hwa was careful not to let him see her. Puzzled, she followed him to the Mall. She watched him from a distance as he slipped to the back of the building. He opened the sewage entrance and slipped inside.

She then began to move slowly and crept to the entrance. She could hear muffled voices at the bottom of the stairs, right below the entrance. She waited until she couldn’t hear a thing before climbing over to go inside. She glanced around the dark tunnel. It smelled of disgusting sewage water with the walls covered in mossy, green fungi. She heard G-Dragon’s voice from behind her, but it sounded quite a distance away from where she stood. She walked toward his direction, but she was far enough so he wouldn’t spot her. He was alone. She started to go to him but something stopped her.

There were two figures coming in sight.

She gave a little gasp. It was Seunghyun and Dara. She remembered them clearly. They were in her life before she ran away from home.

Seunghyun was the boy she looked up to. She grew up with him and always considered him as another big brother, even more after her brother Young Bae died. He was always patient with her and listened to her nonsensical stories. He was smart, funny, and thoughtful and he was the type of person who lets no one boss him around. He does things according to his own will. He was the born leader. It had been a long time since she saw him last. She’d missed him so much.

As for Dara, she was the new girl in school who had captured G-Dragon’s heart away from her. She and Mi Hwa had never liked each other, partly because of jealousy. Dara had always been resentful toward her. Mi Hwa didn’t like her at all. Dara was selfish and only thought about herself. She did nothing for anyone, except herself. Mi Hwa wasn’t even allowed to talk to G-Dragon without being called ‘boyfriend stealer’. Dara would do anything to get what she wants, even if it means putting everyone in danger. As long as she got what she wants, it doesn’t matter of the length she would go to just to get it. That’s how she is.

Mi Hwa noticed that Seunghyun decided to dye his black hair blonde. It looked nice on him. She felt sort of proud. She’d always told him he’ll look good in blonde hair, with those deep, brown eyes and great body built. Dara, on the other hand, had cut her long hair into a small bob and dying it a very deep shade of both purple and brunette. It actually made her look more beautiful.

Mi Hwa didn’t want to admit it, but she was jealous of Dara. There’s a reason why G-Dragon had fallen for Dara in the first place. But what is G-Dragon doing here with them now?  She knew that he wanted nothing to do with them anymore. He’d told her so. So why was he here?

As she went a little closer, she noticed Dara was carrying a baby.

“This is your daughter,” Seunghyun told G-Dragon.

Mi Hwa couldn’t do anything to stop the hurt from coming to her heart. G-Dragon slept with Dara . . . and now has a daughter? She closed her eyes. She was getting dizzy, trying to put the pieces together. This can’t be happening.

They were arguing of what to do now — concerning the baby, obviously. Seunghyun and Dara insisted on G-Dragon staying with them to take care of Dara and the baby.

But G-Dragon had better plans. “Will you come back to me, babe?” he asked Dara.

Mi Hwa was shocked from hearing what G-Dragon had said. From where she was standing, she fervently shook her head, hoping Dara would say no, even though they couldn’t see her. She didn’t want Dara to come back with him. That’ll be a nightmare! Don’t destroy the little happiness that she has.

“If you want me to be with you, you stay here with me,” Dara said with full command.

Mi Hwa froze as G-Dragon hesitated to think about the suggestion. No!

But then two other figures came out into the clearing. From what she could tell, they were not very friendly to the unwelcomed visitor. Their names, apparently, were Jonghyun and Dae Sung. Jonghyun looked like a big bully, big and strong. Dae Sung just looked like he would just do whatever Jonghyun told him to do.

“What’s he doing here?” Jonghyun asked, folding his arms, nodding toward G-Dragon.

“He’s alone,” Seunghyun replied, trying to keep his voice calm. “No one else followed him. I’m certain of that.”

“So, you’re in league with the most ruthless leader of all, then?” Dae Sung said, confused. He couldn’t understand a single thing.

“Dae Sung, for once, you have said a smart statement,” Jonghyun said sarcastically, not taking his eyes off G-Dragon.

“Thanks,” Dae Sung said, proud to have received praise from Jonghyun. He paused. Wait . . . “I think.”

Jonghyun just rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to Seunghyun and G-Dragon. “Alone or not, he’s still the enemy. And you have brought him in here. That makes you . . .  a betrayer.”

Seunghyun scoffed. “Oh, please. Will you listen to yourself? You sound like an immature kid, worse than Taemin!”

Jonghyun narrowed his eyes. Obviously he doesn’t take insults lightly. “You’ll pay for this, Seunghyun. You, G-Dragon, and Dara are all going to pay.”

Mi Hwa couldn’t move as he and Dae Sung made a move to grab G-Dragon but then Seunghyun stepped in between them and tried to tackle two strong boys himself. She watched as G-Dragon ran up the stairs. Jonghyun and Dae Sung followed him but Seunghyun tried to stop them, tried to plead with them to listen. Jonghyun just began to beat him up harshly. By then everyone had woke up because of the ruckus they were causing. They ran out of their rooms to see them fighting.

“Jonghyun, what are you doing?” a girl asked. “Let him go! What have he done to you?”

“He’s a betrayer!”

Edging closer to get a better view, Mi Hwa watched as G-Dragon came out from hiding. She knew he couldn’t stand watching his brother get beat up because of him.

A young girl screamed. “Bom unnie, G-Dragon is here!” she screeched, pointing at him, her eyes growing big, which caused the other two younger kids to scream in fear as well.

“What is he doing here? How did he even get in?” another girl wondered.

But G-Dragon didn’t pay attention to the screams of terror at his entrance. “Leave him be!” he shouted at Jonghyun. “If you want to fight, fight me.”

Jonghyun gladly took the challenge.

But before they could do anything, Mi Hwa ran out from hiding and threw her arms around G-Dragon. “No! Please don’t!”

Everyone in the Mall was surprised at her arrival. They didn’t expect someone else to come in. They thought G-Dragon was the only one who came.

Apparently, so did him. He looked at her in surprise as she tightened her grip around him. “Mi Hwa, what . . .?”

But she ignored the staring eyes and looked up to G-Dragon. “Don’t fight anymore,” she pleaded. “Fighting and violence isn’t always the way to solve problems. Please stop, GD oppa.”

He wrapped his arms around her. “Oh, Mimi,” he sighed.

“I thought you said no one else followed him here,” Jonghyun sneered at Seunghyun.

Mi Hwa turned to face the big bully. “GD oppa didn’t know I followed him,” she snapped. “I came alone.”

“How do we know if nobody else followed?” he snapped back.

She snorted, putting her hands on her hips. “They’re all lazy pigs. You’ll have to slam against a gong really hard to wake them, and sometimes it doesn’t even work. I bet you they could sleep through a hurricane.”

“It’s true,” G-Dragon agreed, shaking his head in disappointment.

“Well, what was G-Dragon doing here, then?” a girl with knotted hair wanted to know, looking right at Seunghyun.

But it was Dara who answered. “He wasn’t going to hurt anyone, unnie. Really. He came to see me . . . and his baby.”

Mi Hwa stepped away from G-Dragon as everyone around him gasped.

G-Dragon?” Chaerin repeated in disbelief, looking at him. “But I thought Seunghyun —”

“She ran away from the Zaifhers because she was scared of them — and I don’t blame her,” Seunghyun explained. “I found her, and took care of her. That’s all. I was trying to persuade GD to leave the Zaifhers to take care of Dara and the baby, because it is his responsibility.” He shot G-Dragon an angry look.

“I’ll stay,” G-Dragon spoke up, causing heads to turn. “I’ll leave the Zaifhers and stay to take care Dara and the baby.”

Chaerin nodded, pleased with the answer. “Very well, then.”

“What, you’re just going to let him join just like that? No way!” Jonghyun protested.

“The baby needs her father, Jonghyun oppa,” his girlfriend said.

“Shut up, Hyuna,” he snapped harshly. “No one asked for your opinion.”

“They don’t need to; it’s a free world,” she snapped back.

“What about that girl?” a boy asked, nodding toward Mi Hwa.

That girl has a name, Onew,” Seunghyun snapped, “And it’s Mi Hwa.”

Chaerin looked kindly at her. “Do you want to stay with us, Mi Hwa?” she asked her.

“She has no choice,” Jonghyun said before Mi Hwa could. “She can’t go back to the Zaifhers, now that she knows we stay here.”

“I’m not staying here if I have to be a prisoner,” she snarled and G-Dragon glared at him.

“You’re not going to be a prisoner,” Chaerin reassured her, also glaring at Jonghyun. She admired Mi Hwa. That girl got spunk, speaking up to a bully like that. “Jonghyun, shut up, you great baob. Bom will arrange a place for you to stay, if you want.”

A girl from her right side nodded. “I would be delighted to.”

G-Dragon looked at her. “Stay with me, please?” he asked in a low voice, his arms tightening around her. “Mi Hwa?”

Mi Hwa felt like crying. She didn’t know what to do. She wanted to stay with him but she knew it would be a bad idea. She looked at Dara who was throwing dagger looks in her direction. She turned back to G-Dragon and looked him in the eye. “You have Dara,” she said quietly. “You don’t need me.”

G-Dragon looked pained. “Mi Hwa . . .”

But she turned to Chaerin and tried to smile as warmly as she could. “Thanks for the invite, but I decline. But don’t worry; I won’t go back to the Zaifhers. I’m leaving.”

“But where would you go?” Bom asked.

She shrugged. “I don’t know. All I know is that I want to be anywhere from the city. I have no more reasons to stay.” She looked plainly at Dara and then at her boyfriend, who shifted uncomfortably. She absolutely refused to meet Seunghyun’s eyes.

“Mi Hwa,” Seunghyun begged her. “Stay with us, please. You can’t go out on your own. It’s not safe. You know you can’t.”

But she shook her head as she walked down the stairs. “And you know you can’t talk me out of it.” She stopped to say something but thought better of it and walked away.

Seunghyun shook his head and turned to G-Dragon once she was out of earshot. “What did you do to her?” he asked bluntly.

“I did nothing!” he protested.

“I’m going after her.”

“Wait, hold on,” Jonghyun said. “This could be a trap, you know. How do we know whether the Zaifhers aren’t waiting outside? What if Seunghyun goes and calls them here? I mean, he did bring their leader here. I told you we shouldn’t trust him when he came, but no, you wouldn’t listen to me!”

 “Then Kibum better come with me just in case,” Seunghyun replied evenly, nodding toward a boy wearing a snowcap.

The two of them ran out of the Mall to look for Mi Hwa. G-Dragon watched them go, his heart feeling heavy. Please, please let them persuade Mi Hwa to stay, he thought.

“I’m confused, G-Dragon,” Chaerin said, turning to him. “What are your connections with them?”

He shrugged. “We went to the same school.”

“Yes, but how do you know them personally?” Chaerin persisted. “Same class?”

“Well . . . not exactly. I mean, I met Dara in school. Mi Hwa was my childhood friend. We grew up next door from each other, so we’re very close.” He hesitated before saying, “And Seunghyun is my brother.”

The entire Mall except for Dara was shocked. “Seunghyun is your brother?” they all repeated in disbelief. “But —”

“Let him finish his story,” Dara cut in impatiently.

“Sorry, sorry,” they said.

G-Dragon shot her a grateful look before he went on, “Seunghyun was older by a year, Dara was in the same class as me and Mi Hwa was three years younger.”

“Whoa, wait a second here. Then how did you meet Mi Hwa? I mean, normally seniors wouldn’t associate with the juniors because that isn’t cool,” Onew spoke up. He realized what he just said. “Not that I do that.”

Bom just rolled her eyes. Obviously, he does do that.

“Her big brother was Seunghyun’s best friend. They always hang out at our house. It was really devastating when he died in a horrendous car accident a few months back.”

“He considers Mi Hwa as a little sister,” Dara added, “which was why he snapped at you, Onew oppa, and that was why he went after Mi Hwa. He feels protective of her, especially after since her brother died in a car accident two weeks before they left.” She turned to G-Dragon, frowning. “How did you two end up together? I mean, I remember Mi Hwa ran away when her parents died because she was distressed. Seunghyun oppa was heartbroken.”

“Well, I found her,” he explained, shrugging nonchalantly. “I was patrolling around the city as usual when I saw this dark figure. When I got closer, I realized it was her so I decided to take her in. She’s been living under my care ever since.”

Dara scowled. “I’d bet,” she muttered under her breath. She stormed off with G-Dragon watching helplessly after her.