In America... (Special)

Thunder And Lightning

Go MiNyu looked up from her sheet music to see TaeJin turn to her. “What do you think about the riff?” she asked in fluent English.

MiNyu smiled and replied, “I liked the first one better.

Matt smiled and laughed, “Her English sounds much better.”

Jaci smiled and Ruth smashed the cymbals. “Let’s take it from the top!” TaeJin shouted and cued Ruth.

Their practices have been coming along better since MiNyu started giving more input. She had spent six months working hard on her English and working part time at a Korean-American Korean School. When she saw the way they lived, she knew she’d made the right choice. TaeHyun worked mostly on films as Randy was the music supervisor on various big projects. TaeJin worked for local bands as a guitarist and song writer, whereas SoLin taught music at a private elementary school.

Everyone was happily engrossed in music, but MiNyu wanted something else to love. With the constant letters and messages from TaeKyung, she busied herself with settling into life in America.

Meanwhile at LAX, MiNam stepped out of a terminal, followed by TaeKyung, Jeremy, and ShinWoo. Everyone kept their heads down and when SoLin saw them, she waved. They hurried over to her and got onto the minivan Randy drove. They managed to slip away before anyone noticed it was them. That was, INDEED, rare.

In the van, SoLin talked about their schedules. She mentioned a few coffee shop performances, a few musical guest appearances, and a few other special guest appearances for late night talk shows. She, later, mentioned that they would be the ‘brother’ counterpart for Smooth Edges.

When TaeKyung paused for a moment, ShinWoo asked, “How is Go MiNyu doing?”

SoLin giggled and then replied, “You’ll see for yourself soon enough. Stay with Smooth Edges and you guys will be fine,” she added, winking in the mirror.

The minivan pulled up to a lovely four story building and they unloaded the van. “First floor is all business and offices, second floor is the living quarters, you’ll see your rooms marked, third floor is for recreational purposes and the like, and the fourth floor is recording studios. Smooth Edges is on the 4th right now, in their final rehearsal before their first recording for their last song of their new album,” Randy announced and then, added, “Go on and put down your stuff and we’ll meet you guys on the 4th floor. Keep quiet and they’ll finish faster.”

ShinWoo and TaeKyung moved quickly, finding their rooms and dropping off their things before heading up to the 4th floor. They looked around to see 5 recording studios. They found the first one marked with the Smooth Edges logo and stepped inside.

TaeHyun looked up and leaned back in his seat, “Welcome, friends. Take a seat and when we’re dong recording, you guys can chat with the band.”

TaeKyung frowned and asked, “Can’t they see us?”

TaeHyun shook his head, “Nope. It’s too distracting, so we made it one-way glass. They can see their reflection. If we removed that layer, they can see us. For now, for recording purposes, we’re going to keep it one way. Sit down and be quiet,” he added as MiNam and Jeremy entered.

TaeHyun the speaker so they could hear the team conversing as they watched them rehearse. “Are they ready yet?” SoLin asked, walking in alone.

TaeHyun nodded, “Just about. Jin’s figuring out a riff with Minnie,” he added.

ShinWoo frowned, “Jin?”

As TaeKyung echoed, “Minnie?”

TaeHyun rolled his eyes, “TaeJin and MiNyu. Geez,” he added and then the mic. “Can this be a one take?

To everyone’s surprise, Ruth shouted, “YES!

TaeJin smiled and replied, in the mic, “Ready for take one of the last track.

TaeHyun smiled and stated, “First take for the last track of ‘On My Mind’. Here we go,” he added. He muted his mic and then the red light . As Ruth counted them in, he turned to the room and announced, “You might want to listen closely to the lyrics.”

TaeJin led the band in and as she pursued riffs that were complicated and fast, MiNyu followed her with soothing chords. And when she opened to sing, TaeJin sang with her, in harmony. TaeKyung frowned and ShinWoo listened hard, and both understood within the first verse that the song was about them. Not only that, but it was the title song of their new album.

And on my mind,” MiNyu started the chorus as TaeJin echoed her. TaeHyun smiled, seeing both TaeKyung and ShinWoo grimace, feeling the sad torment of those words, know it was for them. Matt and Jaci played easily and, rather lazily, while keeping in time. Ruth moved them through the versus and choruses, and when they were done, she allowed a final cymbal to roll into the silence of feedback from their instruments.

TaeHyun smiled, “I will playback now.” As he did, he turned to the guys and smiled, “You felt it, right?”

TaeKyung nodded, “What was that? Anger?”

“Heartbreak,” ShinWoo put in softly.

Jeremy nodded, “Regret.”

MiNam swallowed, “Disappointment.”

SoLin nodded, “Pain is different for people, which is why this song is so special. It’s the first song Minnie co-wrote with Jin. Their experiences, feelings, and voices melt together so well. It’s almost eerie,” she added, watching the team listen to their song.

MiNam smiled, “A good song writer knows how to connect with their audience in a way that is uncanny,” he searched for a better word but found none.

When the song was done, TaeJin smiled and, after getting nods from her teammates, she reported, “We’re good with the band version. Ready for individuals.”

We’ll schedule them later. Mom has a surprise for you guys,” TaeHyun stated and pressed a button to remove the reflective glass from the viewing window.

MiNyu reacted first. She gasped and covered , tears welling up in her eyes. Ruth laughed and smashed the cymbals when she saw Jeremy. TaeJin noticed MiNam first and then saw ShinWoo standing next to him. She didn’t smile. Neither did ShinWoo. Instead, she asked, “When will the schedule be made?

TaeHyun smiled, “Mom’s got updates about the publicity stuff but I’m sure you already have an idea,” he teased.

TaeJin swallowed and put aside her guitar. “Let me know when it’s set.” She turned to her band, “Rest up.” As the side door opened to let the A.N.Jell members into the studio, TaeJin stepped out of another door, leading to the hallway. She didn’t stop, she didn’t look back, she just walked to the elevator and stepped in when it opened.

As the doors closed, an arm reached out and stopped the doors from closing. TaeJin didn’t have to look up to see ShinWoo standing there. Instead, she asked, “In or out?”

ShinWoo stepped inside and the doors closed. He looked at her and asked, “You wanted to see other people? Who else is there?” he demanded.

TaeJin sighed and when the elevator stopped on the first floor, she put her hands in her pockets and stepped out. ShinWoo followed and so, she asked, “How about that second date?”

ShinWoo frowned, “Right now?”

TaeJin nodded, “Sure.”

ShinWoo swallowed his initial anger and replied, “Let’s go.”

TaeJin nodded away from the street, “I’m parked out back.”

ShinWoo smiled, “That’s right, the second date is up to you.”

TaeJin led ShinWoo around the lot to the back to a black motorcycle. TaeJin sighed and touched it gently, “I was thinking of letting you ride with me, but a car might be better.” She turned to a black Audi sedan and nodded, “Hop in.”

ShinWoo got in and the first place she took him was In-N-Out. They ordered but she kept driving after they got their food. So, ShinWoo simply listened to music and watched her drive effortlessly through the streets. He wondered if she felt like that when he took her out on their first date.

***

In the kitchen, TaeKyung helped MiNyu cut fruit for the others. He wondered what to say and then, out of the blue, MiNyu stated, “I’m glad you came. I missed you.”

TaeKyung smiled. He’d forgotten how easy it was to be around her. How could he have forgotten something so natural? But he kept his cool composure and asked, “Will you show me around the city later?”

MiNyu nodded, “Of course. I want to show you my favorite places, Oppa,” she added, turning to kiss his cheek. TaeKyung couldn’t help but like this braver and more confident MiNyu. He knew he had made the right decision in telling her to go.

In the same kitchen, finishing making sandwiches, Jaci and Matt worked quickly with Jeremy and Ruth. They chat easily, quite merrily, and no one really said anything about the couple cutting fruit. Instead, they simply caught up, as most friends did.

In the dining room, SoLin smiled, seeing MiNam staring out the window. “Working on your skill?” she asked.

MiNam smiled, “MiNyu has become much happier. I wonder if I will, too?”

SoLin sighed, “I heard that girl you were after for some time is getting married. Are you okay?” she added, much softer.

MiNam nodded, “I want to see the world. I’m happy that this trip starts with family,” he added.

SoLin put a hand on MiNam’s head and then pulled him close to her. She hugged him tight and gently pat his shoulders. “There, there. There, there. Auntie is here,” she cooed, massaging the tension out of his shoulders. There’s a lot to be said of their family and how they do things, but they always put family first. Always.

***

ShinWoo wondered why she returned to their building but when she led him up the service elevator to the roof, he was shocked speechless of the nice view. She smiled and moved to a table already up there. As they ate, they were quiet.

When they were done, ShinWoo addressed the elephant in the room. “You wanted to see other people. That’s what your last message to me said.”

TaeJin nodded, “So?”

ShinWoo swallowed and looked away. “This is our second date. So the third, I guess I’m planning?”

TaeJin rolled her eyes, “I’ll plan the third one since you guys might stay a while.”

ShinWoo smiled a bit as he asked, “Does this mean we’re together?”

TaeJin sighed and stood. “Whatever this is, we might as well try, right?”

ShinWoo stood and grabbed her arm. He pulled her into his embrace and kissed her. With a little goading, she returned his kisses. He’d missed that the most. After she’d left, he remembered kissing her, holding her in his arms. He remember the soft scent of scented oil and wanted more from her. She’d stopped him as his hand travelled, telling him it was too much too soon, and he’d settled for kissing a while longer before he took her home and watched her enter her family house. Those kisses kept his hopes of being with her again alive until the text message plummeted him down to the depths of depression.

But seeing her again, pushing for their bands working together, he wanted to hold her down and kiss her. He wanted to run his hands through her hair and hear her pant because of how hot he made her. When his thoughts turned more towards that direction, TaeJin broke the kiss and pulled away from him. “Whoa, there, tiger,” she teased, and then gathered up their trash.

ShinWoo watched her walk to the elevator and he followed her. “Sorry,” he murmured.

To his surprise, TaeJin asked, “Want to see my room in this building?”

ShinWoo swallowed, “Just your room?”

TaeJin shrugged, “Maybe.”

As the elevator doors opened, ShinWoo followed TaeJin in. As the elevator doors closed, he slid his hand into her empty hand and held on tight.

 

“Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work.” – Mark Twain

Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work.
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywor"