Desperation

Thunder And Lightning

Randy and SoLin sat at the dining room table as TaeHyun and TaeJin were out on an errand of sorts. MiNam and MiNyu were going about their lives and ShinWoo and Jeremy were both at peace. The only one who seemed distraught and enraged was TaeKyung and he showed it by driving to the Lee’s family home and banging on the front door at 6 in the morning, quite very much unlike him.

Seeing his anger, SoLin answered the door and stepped outside onto the front porch and shut the door behind her. Inside, however, Randy approached and the door and listened from inside.

“I thought we had a deal!” TaeKyung exclaimed, angrier than SoLin had ever seen him.

SoLin sighed and replied, “Whatever unspoken deal we made, it’s still there. I have yet to poach either of the Go twins for my professional purposes.”

TaeKyung shook his head, “Then what’s all this talk about offering them a life in America?! How is THAT not poaching them?!” he demanded.

SoLin turned to TaeKyung and then sighed, “That’s because they are family. I regretted leaving SoJin in Korea as I travelled the world with my band. I’ll never forgive myself for not seeing them grow up as they are now.” SoLin sat down on a porch swing and moved so that TaeKyung could join her.

Instead, he walked to the wood railing and leaned against it, his arms crossed and his brow furrowed. “I should be understanding because MiNyu has been searching for family for such a long time with no leads, help, or new connections. That’s why I asked,” he took a breath, and then allowed, “my mother to help search.”

SoLin nodded, “That’s right. If it weren’t for her, my family would be home right now.” SoLin sighed, “MiNyu would still be endlessly searching and MiNam would be even more misguided than he is now.” SoLin tilted her head to the right and asked, “To be honest, my husband and I discussed this idea in depth before our dinner. Originally, we had thought to hold back, but my husband is very excitable and launched the idea to them.”

TaeKyung shook his head, “The fact that they are related to Randy Lee and TaeHyun Lee are nothing short of lucky.” He sounded so resigned.

SoLin sighed and sat forward, “It’s not abandonment if there’s a commitment to the connection between the two of you.” TaeKyung lifted his eyes and SoLin met his with a gentle understanding of his past, “You were the ghost-son of a famous actress, of course you would feel the impact of someone leaving. But if you feel for MiNyu the way you say you do, things won’t be as lonely or difficult as they were between your mother and you.”

TaeKyung looked away, annoyed that SoLin knew so much. But, at that moment, the front door opened and Randy stepped out to lean against the door frame. TaeKyung stood up straight and nodded to Randy out of respect.

Randy, however, sighed and asked, “You’re Kwang TaeKyung?” TaeKyung nodded and then Randy nodded, “I look forward to getting to know you better.” With that, Randy turned to SoLin and stated, “It’s almost time to go.”

SoLin nodded, “We have meetings so, let’s talk more later. Or, why don’t you talk directly to MiNyu?” she asked, standing.

TaeKyung shook his head, “I wouldn’t even know where to begin.”

SoLin smiled and walked over to place a hand on TaeKyung’s arm. “Start with how you feel. Don’t force it on her, just share and open up to her.” SoLin gave TaeKyung’s arm a squeeze and then she turned and walked past Randy, into the house.

TaeKyung sighed and walked away. Randy watched him go and walked back into the house. He found it interesting that SoLin seemed to care for the kid, and knew that she really wanted the twins to return to America with them, but would never force it on them. And that’s where Randy was different. … To some degree.

***

TaeJin and TaeHyun woke early to run errands. They had to recruit the people they wanted to work with and only had two weeks to do it all. TaeHyun met up with a composer he knew as TaeJin looked to buy a new guitar. As she looked around, some people noticed her and whispered, but no one approached her. Some took photos of her but she didn’t pay any attention. Unfortunately, her photo went viral online and so, when ShinWoo checked his social media feed, he noticed the photo and the caption, ‘Is she waiting for someone?

ShinWoo smiled and texted to her, ‘Are we going to practice today?

He waited for a moment and then his phone vibrated. ‘No.

ShinWoo frowned and looked up to see TaeKyung still not there yet. He, also, noticed MiNam working on his own and Jeremy watching funny videos on his phone. ShinWoo stood and then Jeremy looked up, “Where are you going?”

“To look at guitars,” ShinWoo stated and was gone.

Jeremy frowned but returned his attention to his his videos. MiNam, however, pulled out his phone and answered it. “TaeHyun hyung?” he asked. He looked around and then replied, “Just me and Jeremy.” He listened and then he nodded, “I’ll see you later.” MiNam hung up and sighed, working on his song but feeling very lost.

Meanwhile, as TaeJin got into the car, TaeHyun asked, “Want to go see MiNam?”

TaeJin frowned, “We have a lot to do and you want to go see our cousin?”

TaeHyun shrugged, “I want to see A.N. Entertainment HQ. We have to talk to the president sometime, too, right?” he asked.

TaeJin sighed, “Sure. Let’s go,” she conceded and TaeHyun smiled, pulling away from the curb. TaeHyun drove easily and watched traffic.

When he certain white car, he pulled to the side and turned to TaeJin, “I want some alone time with MiNam. You mind taking care of some stuff without me?” he asked.

TaeJin frowned, “You want me to talk to your people without you?”

TaeHyun whined, “Please? I promised Mom I would be nice to him and I can’t do everything I need to do today without some help.”

TaeJin rolled her eyes and got out of his car. She replied, “Call me when you’re done,” and then shut the door. TaeHyun took off and watched as the white care pulled up to where he had just stopped.

“What a sly guy,” TaeHyun murmured and drove on.

***

TaeJin walked down the street to the bus stop and sat down. She sighed and checked her phone. A white car pulled up and then a window rolled down, “TaeJin! Lee TaeJin!” When TaeJin looked up, she saw ShinWoo in the car. So, she walked over and leaned into the window.

“What’s up? You stalking me?” TaeJin asked, rather playfully.

ShinWoo ignored her question and asked, “What are you doing here?”

TaeJin sighed, “I have some errands to run but my brother just took off. We’re meeting up again later. Shouldn’t you be in rehearsals?” she asked, looking around his clean car.

ShinWoo watched TaeJin and then stated, “Get in. I’ll take you.”

TaeJin stood up and shook her head, “I’m okay. I’ll figure it out,” she added.

But ShinWoo leaned forward and stated, “That will take you forever. Come on, I’ll take you,” he added.

TaeJin looked around and then asked, “Can you take me back to my family’s home?”

ShinWoo nodded, “Sure.” So, TaeJin got in and buckled up. As soon as ShinWoo pulled from the curb, he asked, “Who do you need to see today?” TaeJin was quiet and then ShinWoo stopped at the light. “If you don’t tell me, I won’t drive.”

TaeJin frowned, “Why do you want to help me so much?”

“Why can’t you accept my help?” ShinWoo retorted.

So, TaeJin nodded and replied, “I need to find an auditorium where they won’t mind rehearsals every day next week.”

ShinWoo thought about it and then nodded, “How many people?”

“A full chamber ensemble and a half,” she replied.

The light turned green and ShinWoo took off, “I know where to go.”

And as he drove, maneuvering quickly, TaeJin watched the road and then watched him with her peripheral vision. She couldn’t help but wonder what was up with that guy.

***

In the A.N. Entertainment practice room, MiNam eventually was alone, working hard to write and sing what he wrote. As he worked, TaeHyun walked in and looked around. “You’re still not done?” he asked.

MiNam looked up and pulled off his headphones, “I think I got it better now. I added some layers and the vocals.”

TaeHyun shut the door and walked over to sit down on a bench. “Play it for me.”

And so, MiNam played, careful to play not too slow, but also fast enough to show the improvement. But as he played, TaeHyun listened and then shook his head, waving for MiNam to stop. MiNam swallowed and asked, “Please speak freely.”

TaeHyun looked at MiNam and then stated, “The song is not good.”

MiNam winced and his eyes dropped.

TaeHyun continued, “You’re putting too much into it. The issue isn’t the layers, but the melody. It’s weak and doesn’t sound good.”

MiNam nodded, “Thanks. I guess, I really can’t do it.”

TaeHyun frowned, “No, that’s not it.” MiNam looked up at TaeHyun, who continued, “You want to get it right, and it shows, but there’s no heart in your song.” TaeHyun leaned forward and asked, “Do you remember how it felt to be alone and on the edge of being nothing?”

MiNam nodded, “Yeah, it was a while ago but, yeah, I know the feeling.”

TaeHyun nodded, “Good. Use that feeling to write the song. Use that feeling to listen to yourself.” TaeHyun inched closer, really deep in thought, “When you write music, you have to use emotions and feelings, otherwise it won’t reach the listener. You have to feel desperate to be heard, you have to sing with your soul.”

TaeHyun reached out and picked up the acoustic guitar on the stand. He closed his eyes and played a few notes. As he added more notes, he continued to play and MiNam closed his eyes. “How do you do it, hyung?” Minam asked, feeling very broken.

“When I play music, I don’t think about how it sounds, I think about how it feels. However I feel, the music will deliver it to the listeners. The music is my thunder and I am the lightning,” he added, smiling to himself.

And in that moment, MiNam opened his eyes and started writing notes on the page. TaeHyun continued to play and MiNam continued to write. Neither of the boys said much more to each other because words weren’t needed.