First Kiss

Thunder And Lightning

At the Guitar Center, TaeJin picked up an electric guitar and walked over the amps. The staff, having recognized her, hurried to help her set up as others in the shop glanced curiously at her. ShinWoo also pulled an electric guitar off a hanging hook and walked over to another amp close by. The two tuned their guitars and checked the sound before they faced each other.

“What do you want to play?” ShinWoo asked.

TaeJin smiled, “I’ll keep it simple for you. How about the Moonlight Sonata?”

ShinWoo smiled and nodded, “I know it.”

“But can you play it?” TaeJin asked.

Out of the blue, Jeremy and Ruth entered. ShinWoo glared at Jeremy who shrugged, “She called Ruth. I tried, hyung,” he added.

Ruth walked straight to TaeJin and asked, “What do you want me to do?

TaeJin smiled sweetly and stated, “Since there’s no piano her, get to drumming?

Ruth smiled, “What song?”

Moonlight Sonata,” and then Ruth let out a laugh.

Are you going to do it TaeHyun’s way?” she asked.

TaeJin nodded, “Might as well. Gots to represent!

Ruth nodded and stepped behind a drum set. She stretched and the adjusted the set to her legs. She pointed a stick at Jeremy and then asked, “Can you keep up with me?

Jeremy’s eyes widened and he hurried to another drum set. ShinWoo took to see TaeJin touching the frets, checking the chords before she looked up at him and nodded, “I’m ready.”

ShinWoo nodded and, before he would ask, she played the familiar string of notes, continuing at a slow and elegant pace until she looked up and nodded ShinWoo in. He was careful and steady as he picked the higher melody. When TaeJin switched into a counter melody, so ShinWoo switched to strumming chords.

As he did so, he unconsciously looked over to see TaeJin easily moving her fingers along the frets. He moved closer and picked up a side melody. Oddly aware of the sudden cameras on them, ShinWoo moved closer and used her electric to create feedback but TaeJin only shifted and raised the tempo, speeding up so as to ride above his sound.

As they reached a steady , the crowds in the store grew until the staff had to push people back. And when the song ended, the crowds cheered. TaeJin turned to everyone and asked, “Who was better?”

The crowds cheered and shouted but a staff member stepped forward and requested them play more. So, ShinWoo turned to TaeJin, who nodded Ruth over. Jeremy joined them, Ruth and Jeremy seated side by side between TaeJin and ShinWoo.

TaeJin looked at Ruth and then Jeremy. She switched to a double-string acoustic guitar and ShinWoo did the same. When they had tuned, she nodded to Ruth and then turned to Shinwoo, “In G, follow me,” and then counted off, “One, two, three, four.”

She picked the beginning of Krewella’s acoustic version of ‘Alive’ and Ruth started singing on cue. TaeJin sang with her, harmonizing sweetly. And when they hit the chorus, ShinWoo joined in, Jeremy adding in backup vocals.

+++

Reference to the Original:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7dcA_N6EmQ

+++

At the second chorus, ShinWoo and Jeremy joined in with soft and sweet vocals. TaeJin actually looked up and watched ShinWoo for a moment before she turned her attention away. That look though, caught on camera and later posted online continued speculation. However, by the end of the night, rumors of Jeremy dating Ruth were stronger and so TaeJin was thankful as rumors about her fell out of sight in the horizon. 

***

At the Incheon Airport, Matt and Jaci loaded up their bags with SoLin as Ruth and TaeJin stood together, sipping coffee. Ruth wore her aviator sunglasses and TaeJin wore her big ones, too. They chatted softly as people walked past, neither really making much effort to hide themselves.

“So,” Ruth groaned, “this is what it feels like. To have a rumored relationship with someone that is big in another country.”

TaeJin smiled and turned to Ruth, “, huh?”

Ruth shrugged, “I’m glad I’m just going home already. When will you be home?” she asked, turning to TaeJin.

With a smile and nod, TaeJin replied, “heck, ya.”

Ruth smiled and then chuckled to herself, “At least now, we’re out of the way for that guy to romance you.” Off of TaeJin’s silence, Ruth added, “He likes you, you know?”

“He thinks he likes me, but he likes my music. He likes my skill. He likes my talent. He doesn’t like me,” TaeJin smiled and then turned to Ruth. “See you back home?”

“You know it,” Ruth replied.

“Don’t tell TaeHyun anything, okay? I don’t need that from him, of all people,” TaeJin swallowed, and added in more of a groan, “and you know why.”

Ruth smiled and nudged TaeJin, “If he’s not already on a plane over. But I’ll do my best,” she added and then stepped turned and hugged TaeJin. “Take care of yourself and be careful.”

TaeJin rolled her eyes, “You too, brat.”

Ruth let TaeJin go and they joined SoLin, Jaci, and Matt. The group made the short walk to the gate and after a round of hugs, TaeJin and SoLin watched them walk off through security. SoLin sighed and turned to TaeJin, “Are you sure you’re okay staying here with me a little longer?”

TaeJin nodded, “I can handle it. Plus, I told H I’d watch after you.”

SoLin frowned, “That’s right. His annual concert is coming up. I wonder if he’ll come early? If he does, we might as well stay and then fly back altogether.”

“That’s what open-ended tickets are for, right?” TaeJin joked and then slid her arm through her mother’s arm. “Let’s go before they see us.”

SoLin turned and they walked quickly out of the airport as people turned and watched their suspicious retreat. As they drove to the house, SoLin was quiet at first and then she asked, “Would you be open to the idea of going out there as a duet?”

TaeJin shrugged and asked, “Who did you want me to duet with?”

SoLin shrugged, “There was a call from A.N. Entertainment. What do you think about Jeremy?” she asked.

TaeJin smiled and nodded, “Sure. Maybe we can do a little rehearsal. I’ll call Jeremy and set it up,” she added.

After a moment of silence again, SoLin brought up, “What about ShinWoo?”

TaeJin frowned and asked, “What ABOUT him?”

SoLin shrugged, “Shouldn’t you want to work with him more?”

TaeJin shook her head, “Jeremy is very charming and sweet. And he speaks English the best,” she added. She waited a moment and then TaeJin added, “I don’t think ShinWoo would be better than Jeremy.”

SoLin sighed and then argued, “I think you should talk to him about it, at least. The way he seemed to hang on to you, he might be easier to work with. You know,” she added, not daring to look at TaeJin, “since he had that thing with Ruth.”

TaeJin frowned and closed her eyes. She didn’t want to think about it. For the next few weeks, she only wanted to enjoy the quietness of their home studio that opened up to the wilderness, while taking hikes on her own, or maybe with MiNyu. Her eyes opened as she felt an unfamiliar turn. “Mom? Where are we going?”

SoLin smiled, “I thought it would be nice to see what MiNam and MiNyu were up to.”

TaeJin sat up but it was too late. As SoLin pulled up to the house, TaeKyung and MiNyu turned from each other to the approaching van. On the roof, TaeJin noticed ShinWoo sipping tea. She sighed and tried not to look too disappointed, or too anxious.

MiNyu bounded from the front patio as SoLin stepped out of the car. TaeJin followed, ruffling her hair, hoping not to look too resigned.  MiNyu hugged both of them in turn and then smiled, “What brings you guys by?”

SoLin smiled and stated, “I’ve never seen your home, or, where you live. I wanted to come by, and since we’ve just sent off the others at the airport, it’s just us now, so if you want to come live with us for a while,” SoLin added as MiNyu gaspted.

TaeKyung looked from her to SoLin and then nodded, “Since they will be here for a while longer, it seems best for you to spend time with them.”

SoLin nudged TaeKyung and then grabbed MiNyu’s hand, “Show me the house!”

MiNyu led the way and TaeKyung followed hurriedly. TaeJin walked forward and then stopped, seeing Jolie on the front porch. She walked over to the white puppy and smiled, “You remind me of Snoopy.”

“Snoopy was a Beagle,” came from behind her.

TaeJin turned to see Jeremy standing just next to her. TaeJin nodded, “You’re not wrong. “

MiNam appeared and smiled, taking quick steps to join them, “Hey, TaeJin,” he smiled and then hugged her.

Jeremy pouted, “Why does she get a hug and I don’t? Haven’t we know each other longer? Doesn’t that warrant a hug for greeting when you see me?”

MiNam winced and grabbed TaeJin’s wrist, “Come on, Jeremy, don’t make it weird.” And then he turned to TaeJin, “Let me show you my favorite spot in the house!”

Into the house, up the stairs, TaeJin ignored ShinWoo, who was making tea in the kitchen, on their way up to the roof. MiNam smiled and sighed, letting go of her wrist. “I like to stand here and look out at the world.”

TaeJin smiled, “This is a lovely spot.” She ignored the footsteps on the stairs heading their way and then asked MiNam, “I’m planning on dueting with Jeremy for the next few weeks. But, maybe I should be dueting with you, instead.”

MiNam raised his brow, “With me? Well, I think that sounds like fun. But if you want the best duet partner, you should talk to ShinWoo. He’s the most able to keep up with others in A.N.Jell because no one likes working with TaeKyung.”

“Did someone say my name?” ShinWoo asked, walking up next to TaeJin, sipping his tea.

MiNam smiled and TaeJin ignored him, “Jeremy sang well with me, not to mention, he can play the drums. Back home, Ruth and I were duet partners very easily.”

“Ruth sings off key,” ShinWoo stated.

TaeJin rolled her eyes and shot back, “Ruth had less singing lessons, but always kept the band on beat. She’s irreplaceable,” TaeJin added calmly.

MiNam smiled and then turned, “I’ll go see what they’re planning for dinner. Maybe we can eat it together,” he added and hurried off.

TaeJin closed her eyes and waited a few seconds before she ground out, “What do you want?”

ShinWoo smiled, placing his mug on the table, “If you need a duet partner, you shouldn’t be so shy. You can just ask me.”

TaeJin turned to him and demanded, “What makes you think I want to duet with you? You’re always half a count behind the lead. It may sound good to you, but I hate it.”

SHinWoo’s eyes softened and he asked, “How did you know?” Of his flaws, the musical ones he’d been fixing and able to get by with, that had been the hardest to kick.

TaeJin smirked, “That’s just proof that I’m better than you. At least Jeremy is on beat. He sings well, too. I’d be lucky to duet with him.” TaeJin stopped talking when ShinWoo, who had been watching her speak, leaned forward and kissed her on the lips.

More than that, Jeremy, who was just about to open the glass door that led to the roof patio, stopped dead in his tracks when he saw ShinWoo kiss TaeJin. He turned and ran away, colliding with MiNam on his way down.

The two grumbled and MiNam helped Jeremy up. “Are you okay?” MiNam asked, rubbing his head, “I’ll give you hugs but that was TOO much.”

Jeremy shook his head. “Out…outside, they… he… ShinWoo-Hyung… Lee TaeJin…”

MiNam frowned and walked towards the glass door. As he opened it, Jeremy lunged and caught him around the torso as they both hit the ground, hard. TaeJin pulled away at the sound and as ShinWoo opened his eyes, she brought up a hand and slapped him across the cheek.

Again.