Papa's Assassin - Chapter 14

Papa's Assassin

Sunggyu was rushed into the ER while a frantic Woohyun looked on, unable to do anything.  He paced up and down the corridor while waiting anxiously.  It was only after he caught Jitae staring at him did he stop.  How could he panic in front of Jitae? 

Taking in a deep breath to calm himself, he approached the child and crouched down in front of him.  "You're daddy's going to be okay," he reassured the child and himself.

Jitae beamed with a smile and nodded.  "I know."

Woohyun wondered if the child even understood what was happening.  He forced a smile before taking a seat beside the child.  With every ticking second, Woohyun could not help but blame himself for what happened.  It was because of him that Sunggyu was in such a state.

Awhile later, the doors to the ER opened and a surgeon came out.  Woohyun immediately approached him.

"How is he, doctor?" Woohyun asked anxiously.

"He's in a stable condition," the doctor announced.

Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief.

"But, we'll need to keep him here for a few days under observation," the doctor added.


Woohyun held Jitae's hand as the two quietly entered Sunggyu's room.  They found Sunggyu still unconscious on the bed with his head wrapped in a bandage and his arm connected to a IV drip.  Jitae rushed excitedly over to Sunggyu's bed.

"Daddy, wake up!" said Jitae trying to wake Sunggyu up before Woohyun could stop him.

"Jitae, your daddy..." Woohyun's words came to a halt when Sunggyu's eyes fluttered open.

Sunggyu stared up at the ceiling for a moment as if trying to figure out where he was before slowly turning his head to the side to look at Jitae.  He smiled at Jitae and then glanced at Woohyun who was standing behind the child.

A smile of relief spread across Woohyun's lips when he saw that Sunggyu was awake.  He wanted to rush forward to hug the older man but he held back.  He couldn't.

"I'm sorry," said Woohyun.  "It's my fault."

Sunggyu frowned and shook his head.  "It's not your fault," he told the boy.  "I'm glad you're alright."

Woohyun nodded.  "How are you feeling?"

Sunggyu smiled.  "I'm fine."

"The doctor says you have to stay here for a few days," informed Woohyun.

Sunggyu nodded.

Woohyun glanced at Jitae.  "What are you going to do about Jitae?"

"It's alright," Sunggyu replied.  "I'll call his mother."

Woohyun seemed surprised at the mention of Jitae's mother.  Why was he so surprised?  After all, Sunggyu was a father, a married man.  It was only normal that he had a wife.

"Woohyun, are you alright?" Sunggyu asked, noticing the boy's pale face.  "Are you hurt somewhere?"

Woohyun managed a weak smile and shook his head.  "I...I should go.  My father will get worried if I don't go home."


Woohyun hurried out of the hospital until he was outside the gates.  He leaned against the wall as he struggled to take a step further.  He clutched at his side as he tried to focus ahead.  He forced himself to take several steps before his legs gave way beneath him. 

A figure caught the unconscious boy before he hit the ground.  He glanced down at the boy's side and saw blood trickling down from his wound.