Chapter Five

Catch Me If You Can
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Five;

 

August 11
Busan, South Korea

Kris and I enjoyed a nice, very public brunch in the hotel restaurant the next day. We needed to act natural, blend in, and not hide away. He was also in disguise, his blond hair turned brown by temporary hair dye. We ate an early dinner, then started to get ready for the gala. 

I was wearing a black dress today, long, elegant, with a cut out back and a slit up the side to show leg whenever I walked. I curled my hair into big waves, needed to keep it down in order to hide the earpiece, and a gold bangle bracelet and my fake engagement ring. Kris was dressed in a crisp black suit and I helped him straighten the bowtie he had insisted on. 

“That is not my style,” he said, when I suggested the normal tie. “Bowties are my style.” He slicked the front of his hair back away from his face and looked at himself in the mirror. “Damn, I look good,” he muttered to himself as he straightened his cuff links. I couldn’t help but roll my eyes just a little. 

Kris and I took a rented limo to the gallery. Kris was playing the part of a very, very rich man, and we had to arrive in style. On the way, we put in a call to the guys at the base, checking in that everything was according to plan. Since arriving in Busan, we had not had any direct contact with the other ‘guests’ – Minseok, Kyungsoo and even Baekhyun. It was best that way, to make it look like we had no connections to each other.

Jongin confirmed that everything was still green lighted. Baekhyun had arrived at the gallery early, impersonating the caterer, three hours ago. He had retrieved the special earpieces from where they had been smuggled in, and was ready to distribute them. Sehun had hacked into the gallery’s security cameras and was monitoring everything from the base. 

“Kyungsoo got to the gala ten minutes ago and had no problems with entry,” Jongin added. “Minseok is scheduled to get there in about two minutes, and you two are the last ones in.”

Kris hung up the phone and slipped it into his pocket. “I’m kind of nervous,” he told me, biting his lip. “I’ve never done anything like this before.”

I laughed, patting him on the shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, my dear fiancé,” I teased. “Just relax and have trust. Minseok, Baekhyun, and I are all seasoned professionals.”

Kris and I showed our invitations at the door and gave them our names. A moment later, we were checked off the guest list and ushered into the banquet hall. Kris and I went around the room, pretending to check out the art and chatting with the other guests. My knowledge about art helped a lot, and Kris was good at pretending to understand what I was saying. He defaulted to me for anything art related, but to most people, it probably just look like he was just doting on his finance. He was a good talker, and had no problem blending in. 

Abut twenty minutes in, Baekhyun approached us, dressed in uniform. He had a platter with Champagne flutes and greeted us politely, asking if we would like a drink. While passing me the glass, Baekhyun slipped two earpieces into my hand and moved away. The earpieces were exceptionally small, like earbuds without the wires. I pressed the button on the side to start the transmission, then carefully stuck it into my ear while pretending to fix my hair. 

While we conversed with another couple, art gallery owners from Tokyo, apparently, I reached up to fix Kris’ bowtie, slipping the extra earbud into the pocket of his suit.  

“You guys are so sweet,” the wife said, smiling at me. 

If only she knew. As I turned away, I locked eyes with Minseok across the room. He was wearing a classic black suit with a skinny tie. His eyes were smudged with a hint of eyeliner and he looked nothing short of amazing. His right eye twitched slightly and then he turned away. 

A few minutes later, Jongin’s voice came over the earpiece. “Okay, I see five transmission signals, everyone must be on. I can see you guys using the gallery’s security cameras. Your target is near the marble statue in the middle of the room, the flashy red dress. Minseok, you should approach her. Don’t strike until I give you the go. Kyungsoo, get ready. Oh, and Mina, you look great tonight.”

Kris rolled his eyes at me, having heard the same message. 

From then on, it was like a game of chess with Jongin directing the pieces into position. When Kyungsoo created the ruckus, everyone was going to crowd around him. That was the only time when the heiress was going to be hidden from view from the cameras, blocked by the other guests. 

Kris and I were moved away from the scene while Minseok moved closer to the heiress. They exchanged a few polite words, the heiress batted her eye at him, and I wanted to rip her false eyelashes off. Minseok returned with his own wide smile before moving a few feet away from her. This was the perfect position. 

“Kyungsoo, go,” Jongin muttered, also seeing the opportunity. 

From where Kris and I stood, it was hard to tell what exactly was happening. There was a loud crash and then a yell, and everyone within three yards of where Kyungsoo had been standing, including the heiress, crowded around him, forming a circle. I wondered what Kyungsoo had done. I thought I might have heard broken glass. Minseok followed the crowd flow and moved in right behind the heiress, leaning in to get a look at Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol had gotten us a clasp that was exactly the same as the one on the necklace and Minseok and I had both practiced on it for hours. Stealing is just as much about misdirection as the magic tricks that Lu Han does. Minseok will probably rest a hand on the heiress’ elbow while in the jostle of the crowd. One little touch, she probably won’t even register it or even remember it later, but that touch will allow Minseok to slip the necklace right off her neck. As long as there was contact, she was unlikely to notice the change in weight around her neck. Minseok needed less than a second. 

After a minute or two, the crowd around Kyungsoo started to move away. Kris and I turned back to each other, pretending to be in conversation as we moved toward the middle of the room again. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter