Postscript; Intro

Catch Me If You Can
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Intro;

 

March 20 ( + 1.5 years)
Barcelona, Spain

On Sundays, Minseok and I usually got up early to go to the local farmers' market. We liked to buy fresh strawberries and mangoes from the old grandfather called Al who sold fruits hidden in the back of the market. He knew us by name because we had stopped by his stand almost every week for almost a year, and always greeted us with a kind smile and free raspberries. 

This particular Sunday was no exception. We stopped to get crepes for breakfast a few blocks down the street from our apartment, then headed hand in hand toward the farmer's market. 

Old Al's face absolutely lit up in delight when he saw Minseok, who he knew as Jin. Since Kim Minseok was supposed to be dead, he was going by Jin Xiumin these days, but most people just called him Jin. 

"How about that game yesterday, huh?" he called, already handing Minseok the fruits he had set aside for us. "I'm guessing you were in Camp Nou Stadium to see that winning goal in person, Jin?" Al's Spanish was throaty, probably from younger years spent smoking. 

"Of course," Minseok replied happily. "You know I never miss a home game. It was an amazing shot. The entire stadium went crazy!"

Yesterday, Barcelona had played Real Madrid in an over-hyped home match, sold out stadium and packed to capacity. Minseok wouldn't have missed it for the world. 

"And you, Miss?" Al asked, eyes twinkled at me. 

"She pretended to care about soccer for my sake as usual," Minseok replied for me with a laugh. He leaned in to drop a kiss on the top of my head, free hand taking mine again. 

"This girl is a keeper," Al chortled, even as I hid my face in embarrassment. 

After living in Barcelona for a year and a half, I had come to enjoy everything about the place, includes its favorite sport. But then again, Minseok probably had a hand in converting me into a Barcelona fan. 

"What do you want do to today?" Minseok asked me as we started the walk back to our apartment. It was a good mile, but we both enjoyed the walk in the warm weather. 

"Will you make soondubu jjigae for lunch?" I asked. "I've been missing Korean food lately."

"Anything for my queen," he replied easily. 

It was moments like this that made me fall even more in love with Kim Minseok, which I didn't think was even possible. 

It had taken time for us to patch things up. It was important that we talked about the past instead of completely starting over, so we could learn from our mistakes and learn about each other. When we united a year and a half ago, we were not the same Minseok and Mina who parted ways in Barcelona two years before that, and definitely not the Minseok and Mina from the college years. We took a chance, we relearned each other, and it turned out, we love each other more than ever. 

We had just entered the lobby of our building when a little boy tumbled down the stairs, tripping on the last step and crashing toward the ground. 

"Woah, Sebastian, slow down!" Minseok called, catching the little boy around the elbows and probably saving him from a severe nose bleed. The soccer ball that Sebastian was carrying rolled across the lobby and I hurried after it, picking it up before it went out of the door. 

"Jin!" Sebastian's tanned faced broke into a big smile. He lived down the hall from us with his grandmother, and looked up to Minseok as his idol. "I'm going to play soccer at the park. Will you come too?"

Just then, Sebastian's grandmother appeared in the lobby. 

"I knew taking the stairs was a bad idea, but he insisted," she grumbled, breathing heavily. "I told you to wait for me, Sebastian."

"Sorry," the little boy replied, going to his grandmother's side with a sheepish smile.

"I'm a little busy today, but maybe next time, okay?" Minesok replied, leaning forward to ruffle Sebastian's hair. "Also, don't run down the stairs. That was very dangerous if I wasn't here to catch you."

"Yes, Sir," Sebastian nodded emphatically. 

"He listens to you more than he listens to me," his grandmother sighed. "Hope the two of you had a nice morning."

"Just got back from the market," I replied, gesturing toward the fruits in Minseok's hand. 

"How lovely." With that, she waved a goodbye as Sebastian all but dragged her out of the door. 

After a year and a half, Barcelona felt like home. this apartment by the sea felt like home, and Minseok's arms felt like home. 

 


We got the phone call just as we stepped through the door. I had left my cellphone to charge on the kitchen counter, and I frowned at the caller ID, showing an unknown, international call.

I picked up with hesitancy, greeting the caller in Spanish.

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter