Father knows Best

Law of the Underworld

Gary, still with traces of blood splatter, was heading back to his room when he came face to face with a woman he did not recognize. In a blink of an eye, Gary had his gun out and the woman in a headlock. "Who are you?" He asks calmly.

"I-I was looking for the washroom! Please! Don't shoot!" The woman sob, Gary's grip around her neck loosen and that is when Gary find himself being flipped over onto the pristine floor. He tried to get up but the woman point her gun at him. "Darling, do not underestimate a woman, you are weak when you do so," She say and place a kiss on Gary's cheeks. Stun, Gary push her off and picks up his gun.

"Who the are you?" Asks Gary, while studying her features. She has a thin, pale face, her eyes are innocent, however Gary doubts there is a trace of innocence in her blood. She was wearing a black dress that hugs her curves, and Gary almost approves, but he remembers her comment about him being weak. "Who the hell are you?" He repeats, his annoyance increasing.

"My name is Jung-In, my darling-"

"Stop calling me that," Gary frowns. He walks away heading toward his father's study. 

When he reach the basement where his father resides almost every waking hour, Gary hesitate, not sure if he has the right to question his father about the woman upstairs.

Gary turn away from the metal door, deciding that he should not question his father. However, before he can completely remove himself from the area, he hears his father bid him to enter through the intercom. Gary enters the room, and a cloud of cigar smoke greeting him like an old friend.

“What is it?”

“There is a woman-“

“Yes?”

“There is a woman upstairs, she said she is guest, I just wanted to make sure she wasn’t lying,” Gary informs. He watch his father’s face for any sign of annoyance, but no emotion was visible.

The older man smirk. “She is a guest, yes.” His father says with no further explanation.

Gary remains standing, his patience with his father threading on a thin line. “I take it that I am involved-“he immediately stops when his father get up from the chair.

“Mind your tone, boy.”

“Forgive me,” Gary says, but not really sounding apologetic.

His father walk towards him and stop only inches away. Gary stood his ground not showing any weakness or any emotion that his father can use against him. After all, he did learn from the best. Gary didn’t flinch when his father’s hand make contact with his face. His already injured cheek burst open from the contact and blood trickles down to Gary’s suit. “You are very lucky you are my son, do not test my patience, Hee-gun.”

Gary lower his head for a brief moment to hide his smile, but his father took this as a sincere apology. “Now, Jung-In is Lee’s daughter, highly skilled. I was thinking of marrying the two of you. It will be good for our territory in the South. Lee has been having trouble keeping other organizations from influencing the area. By marrying her, it will show strength and solidity. I want you to fly to the South tomorrow evening with Jung-In, let your presence known. Gather as much information about the rival gang as you can, and report back to me. Any questions?"

He stares at his father in disbelief. Him getting married? His father must have gone insane. However, instead of further questioning his arranged marriage, Gary mutters something else. "Won't there be repercussions? We just killed a member of the Three...The West will not be happy," Gary asks, curiosity getting the better of him. 

The older man regard his son knowingly. "I am their Lord, Hee-gun. I tell them when to drink, eat, or when to die. Like a God with his angels... I see you do not like this analogy?" His father comments when he see his son frown.

"No man should play God. And we are far from being angels."

Both father and son glare at one another unsure of what to do or say. The older Kang definitely wants to punish his son for stepping out of line, and he can see from his son’s fiery eyes that Gary wanted to kill him. Neither one did what they desire, instead, they hear Sukjin’s voice asking for permission to enter.

"Come in," replies the older man.

Sukjin enters, surprise to see Gary in the room. "My Lord, there is some urgent matter from the East, it needs your attention," inform Sukjin. 

Gary lower his head when his father walk past him, however his father stops and warns Gary, "make this happen, don't mess it up, or I will personally send you to your death."


Gary hears Sukjin come in to his room. He calls out from his washroom to let his hyung know where he is. When Sukjin enter, the older gentleman almost gasp from what he saw. Gary was sitting on the floor, his face and hands smeared with own blood, and sees that the once majestic mirror in the bathroom is shattered. “D-Do you need a doctor?”

Gary laughs, on the contrary, he feels good. “No. But I do need help packing.”

Sukjin helps Gary to his feet, carefully maneuvering Gary out of the bathroom. “Are you sure? I think you might have some shards of glass in your knuckles…”

“No. Just pack my clothes, hyung." Gary sits on the edge of his bed and watch Sukjin take out a suitcase from his closet. "Would you be coming?" He inquires, flexing his knuckles to check if he broke some bones, luckily it didn't seem like he did.

Sukjin emerge from his closet with an arm full of clothes. "Your father hasn't said anything, Gary-shi." 

"I'm going to get married, I don't know when," he announces, it feels weird saying it. He never once saw himself getting married and settling down, those sentiments are only for good people, and Gary wasn’t one of those people. He was a ruthless assassin, he doesn’t deserve happiness.   "You’re married?" Gary probes. He had known Sukjin all his life but never once ask any personal questions.

Sukjin is surprise, but he knew Gary to be curious, especially as a child. "Yes, Gary-shi. I was married." 

Gary leans his elbow against his knee. "Did you leave her? I didn't know my father allowed marriages in the organization."

Sukjin nods and brought some more clothes out of the closet. "He does when it's an advantage." Gary is curious but he didn't ask any further. He lays down on is bed, thinking of Jung-in. They’re marriage is a business deal, a command from his father which he has no choice but to follow.

Gary’s eyes feel heavy, and when he hears Sukjin leave his room, he shut his eyes to sleep.

The nightmare came as soon as he had fallen asleep. It’s always the same. Death.

However, this particular nightmare is a bit different from the usual. His father is present and was speaking to someone. In the dream, Gary walk closer, trying to take a better look, but froze when he realize that his father was speaking to his mother. The interaction between them was fuzzy, but they look like they are arguing. Suddenly, his father is holding a gun, and is pointing it towards his wife.

Gary screams but no sound came. A trigger was pulled and Gary watch his mother fall with a loud thud, motionless. 


OMG, i'm sorry for the late update, but here you go :) and so many plots, i'm so all over the place, but please be patient :) thank you for the reviews and subsss!