The New Kid

My Doppelganger and I

Youngmin's POV

7:30am.

"Youngmin-ah, wake up. You're going to be late for work," a voice was heard.

I was covered up in my warm bed sheet, all tucked in and soothed tightly. I didn’t want to leave my bed. Just a few more minutes please.

“Fine, I’ll just eat your ramen that I prepared deliciously for you then.”

“Ramen you say?!” I said out loud, immediately getting up from my bed. I took a quick shower and changed into my work uniform. I’ve been working in a small coffee shop ever since I graduated from high school, two years ago was it?

I went downstairs and into the kitchen where I saw my father, Kim Donghyun. He was just sitting there reading his newspaper. I saw the bowl of ramen he left me and I started eating it.

“Wow abeoji!! This is the best one you made so far.”

“I’m glad you like it my boy,” Donghyun said, getting up from his seat and approaching me. He then starts to ruffle my hair that grabbed my attention to him.

“I’m going out to work too my son, so be safe ok?”

“I will, don’t worry.”

“Don’t forget to come back home before 6pm. You already know the drill.” He said, grabbing his coat and leaving the house. In just a moment, I was all alone.

Always hearing those same words everyday for how long always gets to me. I don’t know how or why this problem of mine happened. It’s true I was born with vanishing twin syndrome, but it’s strange. It’s like a part of my deceased brother went inside me before his body died. Not only I was growing, but he was too, in my body. His personality is way different from mine, full of disgust and envy. He’s jealous I was the one who lived and not him. I don’t know why, but he can control my body, only at night though. That’s why father always tells me to come back home before 6pm.

^^^

8:21am.

“Youngmin-ah!! You’re late for work again,” Kim Jiseon said, crossing his arms.

“I apologize Jiseon seonbaenim…” I said, giving a bow to him.

My close friend and coworker, Lee Jeongmin, and I were in seonbaenim’s office, having a meeting.

“Its fine, he’s not here so you could still show a good impression to him.”

“Him? Jiseon seonbaenim, what are you talking about?” Jeongmin asked.

 “You two, we’re going to have a new employee working for Kona Beans now. So I hope you give him a warm welcome,” Jiseon said.

Just then, a bell ringing was heard in the distance, knowing the front door to the shop was opened.

“Oh, that must be him. I’ll go check,” said the boss. So he stepped out of his office and left me and Jeongmin alone.

“I wonder if the new kid is hot,” Jeongmin said, placing his hands on his head looking comfortable.

“Excuse me?” I said, surprised by Jeongmin’s words.

“You know what I mean Youngmin.” I looked down to see him do the thing with his crotch.

“Ughhh…you had to make me look at that…” I said in disgust, trying to erase what I just saw in my mind.  

Jeongmin is one of the closest friends I made, but one of the weirdest too. He’s made so many attempts trying to get a boyfriend, but all of which failed. I remembered one time when he gave a free ice cream to a customer, he tried tasting it with him. Boy, when their faces met when they both opened their eyes, seeing that their tongues were connected…ewww, now I have to erase that off my mind…

“Youngmin, Jeongmin, I present to you guys our new employee,” Kim Jiseon said, coming into the office.  As Jeongmin and I both looked to see the new kid, he finally stepped in.

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m No Minwoo,” the boy said, bowing to me and Jeongmin.

“Wow…” Jeongmin muttered, impressed by the boy’s appearance.

 He looked very young for some reason. That clear, innocent look on his face with those eyes sparkling from the light, his dashing sleek hair with bangs covering his forehead, and his short height that made him look so cute and angel-like was a wonderful sight to see. Why does he feel different than all the other guys I saw in my life? It can’t be that feeling, no way…not happening…

“No Minwoo will be working with us from now on so I hope you two will get to know him and be in good terms with each other,” Kim Jiseon said, looking at us two.

When I looked at Jeongmin, I noticed his jaw dropped and he just stared at the young boy. He saw Jeongmin’s expression and started to blush a little, looking in the other direction. Man Jeongmin, what a great start to greet the new kid….

Minwoo’s POV

“Why is that guy just staring at me? It’s kind of creepy…” I said to myself, giving him a smile. So I tried to look the other way in embarrassment. I think I was blushing a little. Damn, I’m such a sensitive person…

“No Minwoo will be working with us from now on so I hope you two will get to know him and be in good terms with each other,” Kim Jiseon said.

From my peripheral vision, I can still see the guy staring at me. This is so weird…is there something on my face? Or am I that ugly? I looked at the other guy with blonde hair and he was just staring at him too. About that hair though, it’s…eye catchy. I couldn’t seem to get my eyes off of his hair.

Just then, the boy with blonde hair changed his eye of direction and looked at me now. He saw me staring at him and I immediately looked the other way. “Oh god, he saw me looking at him. He’s probably wondering how long I was staring at him. I’m such an idiot…” I said to myself.

“Hello? You two? Did you hear what I just said?” Kim Jiseon asking the two employees.

“Yes Jiseon seonbaenim,” the boy with blonde hair said, getting up from his seat and approaching me. “It’s nice to meet you No Minwoo, I’m Kim Youngmin,” he bowed in front of me. I bowed too as a way of respect to him.

“Hello? Earth to Jeongmin? Are you there?” the boss said to him, still giving that awkward stare at me. He then stops looking at me and shakes his head.

“Uhh, yeah I understand…sure…” the weird boy said. He then finally goes up to greet me.

“Ugh…I  Uhh…emmm”

“He’s Jeongmin, don’t mind him,” Youngmin said to me, holding my shoulder. “He gets nervous around new people.”

“Yeah, I get that too…a lot,” I said, smiling at Youngmin. If he’s not going to greet me properly, then I guess I should make a move.

“As what Jiseon seonbaenim said, I’m No Minwoo. It’s nice to meet you,” I said to Jeongmin, bowing.

Jeongmin immediately bows too, but in a fast-paced way. He then walks out of the office like he was in a rush or something. Youngmin, Jiseon seonbaenim, and I just looked at each other in confusion with Jeongmin’s behavior.

“Wow, I never seen Jeongmin act like that around people,” Kim Jiseon said.

“Jiseon seonbaenim, you never want to know…” Youngmin said, laughing.

I watched as the tall, blonde boy laughed with seonbaenim. The smile coming from his face made me smile too. It was like his aura surrounding him was full of joy and happiness, it made you feel fuzzy and warm inside. Who was this guy? And…why does he make me feel strange in a way?

 

Scene

 

Hey, it’s me again, Annyeonghaseyo!! Firstly, I hope you enjoy the first chapter of my story. I’m not Korean, so I don’t know if I got the Korean honorifics correctly, so I apologize for the mistakes. Also, I made Youngmin's hair blonde even though it's not in his 2015 look as Boyfriend, but I hope you stay tune for Chapter 2 though