Chapter 8: This is what having friends feels.

Meeting Future Wife: University Couple

Korean Vocabularies:

  • Annyeonghaseyo - Hello.
  • Omo! - A shock expression. 
  • Ne - Yes.
  • Mworagoyo - What did you say?
  • Jjang - Amazing. 
  • Aigoo - An expression used for many instances like shock, being tired and etc.
  • Ireumi mwoyeyo? - What is your name?
  • Bangapseumnida - Nice to meet you.
  • Cheonmaneyo - You're welcome!
  • Sunbaenimdeul - Seniors.
  • Sin ib saeng - Freshman. 
  • Meotjinhaetda - You were cool. 
  • Hyung - Older brother.
  • Kamsahamnida - Thank you.
  • Wae? - Why?
  • Molla - I don't know.
  • Mianhe - Sorry.
  • Gwenchana - It's okay.
  • Seulpeohajima - Don't be sad. 
  • Kaja! - Let's go.
  • Chamkkanman - Wait a minute. 
  • Dangyeonhaji - Of course!

Chapter 8: This is what having friends feels. 

JINKI'S POV

When I arrived at the classroom, it felt like there was something wrong in the atmosphere. I was sure of it when my classmates started whispering at each other like bees when I entered. As I sat on my chair, I was wondering if an incident happened inside the university.

Well, who cares about that when I just experienced the most thrilling part of my life? I was about to open my Introduction to Chemical Engineering book to forget about the audition, when a girl was shoved by her friends towards my direction. I was surprised for a moment when she suddenly extended her arm in front of my face. I looked at her questioningly.

“Annyeong..hase…yo, Lee… Jin…ki-ssi.” She was stuttering a lot and her head was bowed but when she tried to glance at me, “Omo! Ijustwanttogivethiswatermelonjuicetoyou. Itisgoodforyourvoice!”

“Ne? Mworagoyo?” I didn’t understand her words so I looked at her skeptically.

While still bowing her head, she heaved a deep sigh then spoke, “Your performance was jjang!” She placed the bottle of juice on my desk then hurriedly sat down with her friends.

I understood her actions when I heard the word performance. I guess she was there at the auditorium. She witnessed my performance. Aigoo, her gesture was making me embarrassed and flattered at the same time.

I picked up the bottled juice then walked to where she was sitting. Her back was in front me so she did not notice my arrival but her friends was suddenly excited so she turned her head to my position. She was shocked to see me.

“Annyeonghaseyo. Ireumi mwoyeyo?” I greeted her politely.

“Ne? Park Jung Ah-ibnida.” She introduced herself shyly.

“Ah. Lee Jinki-ibnida. Bangapseumnida! Thanks for the juice, by the way.” I introduced myself then bowed at her after.

“Ne, cheonmaneyo.” She also bowed at me.

I smiled at her then I returned to my seat. It wasn’t even five minutes after I sat down on my chair, when the sunbaenimdeul circled around me.

“Yah, sin ib saeng! I saw your performance a while ago. Meotjinhaetda!” He was my hair as if he was a proud hyung.

Another sunbaenim said, “It’s great to have a talented student like you in this department!” He was tapping my shoulder.

“I hope you pass. We still don’t have a representative from Chemical Engineering department on that organization.” The third sunbaenim said.

I was feeling shy and elated at the same time. I was pondering if that was how it feels to be accepted by your classmates and sunbaes. I wasn’t sure but what was I sure of was it felt wonderful.

“Kamsahamnida sunbaenimdeul. I’ll do my best!” I bowed at them.


All my classes for the day were already done. Coincidentally, my last class finished at 5 pm. The same time the result for the audition will be posted on the bulletin board. When I reached the room 113, the front of the bulletin board was covered by countless students who were waiting for the result.

I just stood there quietly. I was anxious to find out whether I passed or not but I don’t have enough confidence to join the herd of students on the front of the board. Minutes after, Do Kyungsoo-ssi walked out of room 113 with a piece of paper in his left hand and in that paper was where my future in the university will be based.

Kyungsoo-ssi was struggling to get to the board because the students were blocking his way.

“Okay, okay. Everyone, give way! How can I post the result if all of you are blocking the board?” Kyungsoo-ssi shouted.

The students retreated for Kyungsoo-ssi. He successfully pinned the result on the board. When he moved aside, students immediately flocked the front of the board. Some students were already shouting out of happiness and some were already dejected while I was still standing quietly on the back.

My nerdy side was acting up again. I suddenly lost courage to find out whether I passed or not. I was busy having arguments on my head whether to look at it or not when someone yelled my name.

“Yah, Jinki-ah!” Someone shouted.

I turned my head to see Ba In and Hyo Jin running towards me. My face immediately lit up when I saw them. They reached my position in no time.

“Yah, it’s good… that we reached… you before you… went home. What’s the result?” Ba In said with difficulty. She was weary because of running.

“Right! Thanks to the other students who were talking loudly. We heard them saying that the result are already posted here. Did you pass?” Tiredness was also noticeable in Hyo Jin’s voice but she spoke with less difficulty.

I looked at them nervously and said, “I don’t know. I haven’t seen it.”

“Eh? Wae?” Hyo Jin looked confused.

“Molla. I was nervous. I was still arguing with myself when you called my name.” I scratched my neck out of embarrassment.

Both of them chuckled at the same time.

“Aigoo, I will look at it for you then.” Ba In volunteered.

“Me too!” Hyo Jin said.

I was about to stop them but they were fast. They reached the board within seconds. I wanted to look at their reactions but their backs were in front of me so I was left with no idea. Two minutes had already passed but the two girls still weren’t moving so I called their names.

“Yah, Ba In-ah! Hyojin-ah!” I shouted.

They turned their head at me then walked back to my place. They looked depressed. It made me think that I didn’t pass.

“What took you so long?” I questioned them.

“Mianhe, Jinki-ah.” Hyo Jin said regretfully.

“Wae? I didn’t pass? Gwenchana! Seulpohajima!” Even Ba In looked so sad so I tried to cheer them up.

“Mianhe, Jinki-ah because you have to treat us!” Ba In suddenly exclaimed and her face became cheerful.

“Right! To the ice cream shop! Kaja!” Hyo Jin’s expression also changed from sad to happy. The two of them already walked two steps ahead of me when I realized what they said. I was still a bit puzzled so I stopped them from walking.

“Chamkkanman, I passed right? That’s why I need to treat you, right? Right?” I asked them hurriedly.

“Dangyeonhaji! Why would you think that you didn’t pass? You did a great performance, Jinki. It will be wrong for them not to pass you!” Ba In said absolutely.

“Right! Even if I wasn’t there, the aura you had after your performance made me think that you did performed well.” Hyo Jin added.

It felt like a great burden was removed. I can finally breathe properly. I heaved a deep sigh and said, “Thanks guys! So, what are you waiting for? Where is that ice cream shop?”

“Assa! Kaja Ba In-ah!” Hyo Jin said.

Ba In looked and smiled at me before finally letting herself be pulled by Hyo Jin.

The two of them walked away skipping and holding hands. I looked at their backs and a smile unknowingly appeared on my face.

“It’s great to have them as my friends.” I followed them after. 


AUTHOR'S NOTES

Credit for the picture goes to respective owners. :)

Yes, I came back from the dead. I missed this story! T.T I had to stop writing this because I was busy balancing school and business matters. It was hard to find time to write an update. Now that everything seems stable, I can now update this story. I hope that i can contnue writing this story. :)