Chapter 6: New experience; new feeling.

Meeting Future Wife: University Couple

Guys, here is the chapter 6. This chapter is about 2,800+ words. This is my peace offering to all my readers. Thank you for waiting for me. :-)

Credits for the videos go to the respective owners. :-)

Korean Vocabularies

  • Yah! – Hey! (informal).
  • Maknae – Youngest sister/brother.
  • Hyung - the term used by Korean males to address another male older than them. (Hyungduel, plural)
  • Ireona – wake up, get up.
  • Waeyo – why? (informal).
  • Ne – yes.
  • Chingu – friend.
  • Aigoo – is an expression that can use on many instances like being shock, being tired, being surprised and etc.
  • Dongsaeng – younger sister/brother.
  • Ani – no.
  • Jjang – awesome, great.
  • Fighting! (Hwaiting!) – the term used to cheer yourself or cheer someone else.
  • Mwo – What (informal).
  • Chamkanmanyo – wait a minute.
  • Eomma – mother.
  • Appa – father.
  • Annyeonghaseyo – hello, good morning.
  • Bangapseumnida -  nice to meet you.
  • Arassoyo – okay.
  • Kamsahamnida – thank you.
  • Eoseo oseyo – welcome.
  • Yeorobeun – everyone.
  • Jeoneun – I am.
  • Jinjja – really.
  • Gwenchana – it’s okay, it’s alright.
  • Kaja – let’s go.

 

Chapter 6: New experience; new feeling.

“Yah, maknae!” I suddenly woke up because of a loud voice. I opened my eyes and I saw hyung sitting at my study chair.

I grumbled and covered my face with a blanket then sleepily said, “Hyung, you’re too loud. I still want to sleep.”

“Yah, ireona, ireona, ireona!” Hyung kept on shaking me. I didn’t have a choice any more. Hyung doesn’t really know when to give up; I should blame his athleticism for this. I removed the blanket on my face and sat on the bed.

“Waeyoooo?” I whined at him.

“Yah, don’t use that face on me. Ireona! You said that I should wake you up because you have an audition today, right? So don’t whine at me!” Hyung defended his self.

I looked at the clock and widened my eyes. “Hyung, what are you talking about? You volunteered to wake me up and I just accepted it. Its only 7:30 am! My audition is at 9 am.”

I forgot to mention to him that I was planning to audition for If Looks Could Trill but I was startled when he barged into my room last night saying he’ll wake me up because I have an audition to attend to.

“Maknae, you still need to prepare for your audition. I will help you choose your clothes ‘cause I still don’t trust your taste and you still need to warm up your voice but I won’t be able to help you with that. You know I at singing.” I chuckled at hyung’s remark.

It’s true, he really at singing and I at sports instead. He was also the one who taught me to dress nicely, if it weren’t for him I wouldn’t look like the way I am today.

“Ireona, maknae. I will prepare your clothes for you. Go to the bathroom!” Hyung ordered me then went to my dresser to look for suitable clothes.

“Ne!” I answered reluctantly. “I knew there was a reason why I forgot to tell him about the audition. Screw that friend of him.” I muttered while I went to the bathroom.

“I heard you maknae! Jaejoong was right when he told me about that audition! You shouldn’t hide that talent of yours!” Hyung kept on reprimanding me. I barely heard some of his preaching when I got on the shower but that was fine for me.

After 15 minutes, I went out of the bathroom but hyung was no longer inside my room. I sighed at the thought of my hyung. I never expected that the president of If Looks Could Trill was my hyung’s chingu. Hyung really had so many connections. Well, I knew that this was just one of his ways to show his protectiveness to me. He was afraid that I will be bullied again.

“Aigoo, I understand hyung’s protectiveness but this is too much. This outfit is too flashy for an audition.” I knew that hyung will throw a fit if I don’t wear this so I half-heartedly picked up the clothes and got dressed.

“Hyuuuuuuuuung!” I shouted for him after I looked at myself in the mirror.

“Wae?” Hyung said after he went inside my room. He looked at me from head to toe and smiled sheepishly. “Woah, you look good! You really are my dongsaeng.” He patted my shoulder as if he was so proud of me.

“Isn’t this too much for an audition?” I asked worriedly.

“Ani, you need to make an impression. Good looks plus good voice equals jjang!” He even put his two thumbs up to show his satisfaction.

I just shook my head at him. “Well, I don’t have the right to disagree with you. After all, you’re the fashionable one.”

He grinned at my compliment. “Sooo, now that you’re ready, you can go. Good luck on your audition. Fighting!” Hyung suddenly ushered me downstairs.

“Mwo? Chamkanmanyo hyung. It’s still early.” He only stopped pushing me when we’re already near the front door.

“No, it’s not early. It’s already 8 am. If you go now, you’ll arrive at the university at 8:15 am.” Hyung tried to convince me. As expected of someone who was so organized. He always tried to make me an orderly person but he always fail.

“Cham…kanmanyo. Why are we talking about this? What will I do with the remaining 45 minutes?” I tried to reason with hyung.

“Maknae, I know you’re good at singing but you still need to know your competitors. So, go now and observe them!” He said exasperatedly.

Hyung was so ridiculous sometimes. I wonder how he will be when he became a surgeon. “Whatever hyung. Where is eomma and appa, by the way?” I asked him because I noticed that the first floor was quiet.

“Appa already went to work and eomma went to the market.” Hyung replied.

“Oh, okay. I’ll go now. Please say goodbye to eomma for me.” I said to hyung.

“Okay, good luck maknae. I know you will pass!” He winked at me.

“Eww, don’t do that hyung. Bye!” I went out of the house and proceeded to the bus stop.

 


 

When I arrived at the university, I went straight to Chungwoon auditorium.

“Annyeonghaseyo. Are you here for the audition?” I was welcomed by a guy who was a bit taller than me and was dark-skinned. I remember him from yesterday’s performance; he was the one who rapped.

“Ah… ne!” I stuttered.

“Okay, please fill up this form then pass it to me. By the way, I am Kim Jongin, the maknae of the group.” He introduced his self cheerfully.

“Ne, I am Lee Jinki. Bangapseumnida. ” I smiled back at him. I took the paper from him then went to the table beside him. I wrote the important information about me then I passed again the paper to him.

He studied it for a while then looked at me, “Arassoyo, you can now go inside. It’s still a bit early so you can still practice if you need to. The hyungdeul will arrive in a moment. Good luck on your audition.”

“Ne, kamsahamnida.” I went inside the auditorium and I saw four people waiting. They were busy vocalizing or practicing. I quietly sat at the left side of the auditorium. I was afraid to look at my competitors so I just gazed at the stage and mentally recited again and again the lyrics for the song that I’ll perform.

After I don’t know how long, the whole auditorium was full of participants and spectators. I was so busy reciting lyrics that I didn’t even notice the time passed by. I was feeling nervous as time went by. Unexpectedly, there was a loud roar. I looked at the entrance and saw the members of If Looks Could Trill entered. As I inspected every member, I realized that every one of them exuded so much charisma. I suddenly doubted myself if I deserved to be a member of this group.

I was having second thoughts when I was stunned to see Ba In entering after the members have entered completely. She was turning her head from left to right as if she was searching for someone. At the back of my mind, I hoped that, maybe that someone was me. After a few seconds, we locked gazes, I felt happy when she smiled at me. I waved at her then she walked to where I am presently sitting.

She stood right next to me and said, “So, you’re really here?”

“Yeah, I didn’t have a choice. My brother forced me.” I shyly said while rubbing my neck.

“Ahm, can I sit beside you?” She asked me.

I was shocked when she asked me for permission. I didn’t expect that she’ll stay for long.

She giggled at my surprise and jokingly said, “Yah, Jinki. You don’t want me to stay?”

“Ani, ani. I want you to stay, ani… I mean… you can stay if you want.” I stammered.

She sat down beside me, “Yeah, that’s what I intended to do. Hyo Jin and I were supposed to look for you here but that woman forgot to wake up early so here I am alone.”

Was it safe to assume that she came here to support me? I wasn’t able to hide my grin because of that thought.

The crowd suddenly turned quiet when the president spoke, “Eoseo oseyo ladies and gentlemen to the audition for the new members of If Looks Could Trill. I am happy to see a large number of participants. We will now start the audition so good luck everyone and do your best.”

Some guy went up the stage and introduced his self, “Annyeonghaseyo yeorobeun. Jeoneun Lee Jonghyun-imnida and I will be the one to facilitate today’s audition. Before we start proper, I want to introduce to you the judges. First judge is our president, Kim Jaejoong-ssi.” Jaejoong stood up and bowed to the crowd.

“The second and third judges are Dong Taeyang-ssi and Jung Yonghwa-ssi.” The two judges also did the same.

 I noticed Ba In looking at me. “Why… are you staring at me like that?” I said nervously.

“You look like you’re going to throw up.” She said worriedly.

“Jinjja? It’s just that I am feeling so nervous right now. I have never done anything like this before.” I said honestly.

“Gwenchana, Jinki. Don’t think about anything else and just focus on your performance. Just enjoy yourself.” Ba In advised and beamed at me.

I offered her a shy smile in return. I suddenly felt comfortable when I heard her advice. It felt good to know that someone was here to support me.

“Okay, here is our first participant. Please welcome Lee Taemin-ssi. He’s a dance major but he assured us that he can sing. So let’s find out now.” Lee Jonghyun-ssi introduced happily.

“Annyeonghaseyo. Jeoneun Lee Taemin-imnida.” He shyly introduced his self. He looked young and carefree. He was a bit taller than me, I think. He was skinny and a little dark-skinned. It was baffling because he looked pretty and his lips were pouty. One can notice that he was indeed a dancer if you looked at his fashion. He immediately performed after introducing his self.

Romeo + Juliette Concert Performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdidpBT4Y-4

Everyone applauded after he finished his performance.

“Kamsahamnida!” Lee Taemin-ssi smiled gleefully then bowed to the crowd. He proceeded to the exit, seconds after.

“Wow, just wow. This pretty guy knows how to sing and dance at the same time.” The emcee exclaimed.

I felt the same thing as the emcee. Lee Taemin-ssi had really blown away the audience. I felt my nervousness coming back.

“Well, this is just the first participant everyone. I am now excited to see the second performer so I will give it to you right away. Here is Choi Minho-ssi. He is a physical education major.” The emcee seems really excited.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Jeoneun Choi Minho-imnida.” He really looked like a physical education major. He looked so sporty with his tall and large built body. If Lee Taemin-ssi looked pretty, this person looked handsome. I can see that his eyes were full of determination that it might emit flames.

OMG Concert Performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvfBt5tYfTE

“Kamsahamnida!” Choi Minho-ssi thanked the audience and exited.

“Well, it seems that our participants are very talented. I did not expect that he can dance like that with his tall built.” The emcee complimented.

“Jinki, gwenchana?” I was shocked when Ba In touched my arm.

I looked at her with worried eyes and said, “I don’t think I am okay. The two previous participants were good.” I confessed.

She looked like as if she was lost. Maybe she doesn’t know what to say to comfort me. I chuckled at her cuteness.

“Gwenchana. You don’t have to say anything. You, being here is enough.” I said sincerely.

She sighed, “Wew, I really don’t know what to say during this time. I am not experienced when it comes to comforting a guy friend.” She smiled apologetically.

I jumped happily in my mind. I was sure that time that she already considered me as a friend. I suddenly gained some confidence and energy to pass this audition.

“Let’s welcome our third participant, Kim Jonghyun-ssi from the music department.” The emcee presented.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Jeoneun Kim Jonghyun-imnida.” This guy has also a built body but unlike Choi Minho-ssi, he was short. He may resemble a dinosaur a little bit but he still radiated charisma and confidence.

Girls Concert Perfomance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdidpBT4Y-4

“Kamsahamnida!” Jonghyun-ssi bowed and left the stage.

“What about that everyone? We just experienced a club atmosphere here. I loved this performance.” The emcee really looked like he was enjoying the audition.

Well, I noticed that Kim Jonghyun-ssi didn’t show his real voice range. I felt like he was just enjoying his performance and didn’t mind whether he’ll pass or not.

“I want to see if the fourth performer can surpass the previous participant’s performances. Not putting any pressure, though! Here’s Kim Kibum from the fashion department.” The emcee announced.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Jeoneun Kim Kibum-imnida.” The word that can be used to describe Kim Kibum-ssi was head-turner. All of his clothes shouted designer brands. I thought that he really took care of his self because his skin was so clear and bright, a woman would be jealous. He also gave off poise and coolness.

Hair + Judas Concert Performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38qdm_rCYnQ

“Kamsahamnida yeorobeun!” Kim Kibum-ssi shouted then went down the stage.

“Well, the fourth participant’s performance doesn’t disappoint. He looked like he wasn’t pressured or anything. Hmm, let’s see if the fifth participant continues the streak of great performances. Please, welcome Lee Jinki-ssi from the engineering department.” The emcee introduced me.

“Jinki, it’s already your turn. I am here to support you. Fighting!” Ba In wished me luck.

I smiled at her before I went up the stage. Confusingly, my nervousness completely disappeared. Excitement replaced it. I felt thrilled to experience a new thing.

Suddenly, I felt sentimental. This was it! My new journey will start here. Those disturbing high school memories will be forgotten and a new memory will replace it. I went to the center of the stage and gazed at the crowd thinking that I need to retain this view in my memory.

“Annyeonghaseyo. Jeoneun Lee Jinki-imnida. I hope you enjoy my performance.” I looked at Ba In longer than necessary to let her know that I appreciate her support then I started to sing.

Forevermore Performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFtzQY30YmU

“Kamsahamnida!” I said my thanks and went down the stage.

“Woah, all the previous performances were upbeat so hearing a ballad afterwards sounded amazing to my ear. Quite an angelic voice you have there!” The emcee praised.

“Jinki-ssi! Jinki-ssi!” Before I totally went down the stage, someone called me so I stopped my steps. “Sorry for stopping you. I am Do Kyungsoo, a member of If Looks Could Trill.” I saw a man with big eyes holding so many papers in his hands.

“Ne, I remember you. What can I do for you?” I asked blankly.

“I just want you to know that the result of the audition will be posted at 5 pm on the bulletin board placed on the outside wall of our group’s designated room. It’s on room 113.” Kyungsoo-ssi informed.

“Ne, thanks for the information.” I said then I ran to where Ba In was sitting and I saw her smiling widely at me.

“Nice performance, Jinki. I didn’t expect that you were that good.” Ba In slapped my arm.

Hearing those words coming from her made me feel contented.

“Gomapta, kaja chingu-ya!” I asked her to go because I don’t want to watch the other performances. It will just make me more nervous about the result.

“Wae? Do you already have a class?” Ba In asked bewilderedly.

“Ani. I just don’t want to watch anymore. I said to myself that I won’t worry about the result. The important thing is I did my best.” I explained.

“Jinjja? You don’t want to pass?” Ba In knowingly looked at me.

“Of course, I want to pass. It’s just that… oh come on, let’s just go.” I can’t explain the way I felt so I just urged her to move.

She laughed at me then said, “Arasso, I understand you. Let’s go meet Hyo Jin. She’s already inside the university.” We went out of the auditorium.

“Jinjja? Where is she?” I am sorry to Hyo Jin for feeling disappointed about her arrival but I wanted to spend more time alone with Ba In.

“She’s at the cafeteria. Kaja!” Ba In pulled me to the cafeteria.

Well, so much for my alone time with her. I just felt happy that the audition went well and Ba In and I were closer than yesterday. I guess, our alone time will come next time. 

 

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Credits for the pictures go to the respective owners. :)

First, I want to say sorry for not updating for so long. I was busy and am still busy because of business and family affairs. I plea for your understanding. I can't really promise to update again sooner. The business and family affairs are still taking too much of my time but I will still try to write from time to time. I will try very hard. 

Second, I want to clarify something about the story. I know that most of the stories here in AFF offers two POVS, one for each lead character but mine only offers Jinki's POV. You know that this story will have a happy ending based on the title so I don't want to give any more hint by making a POV for Ba In. I want you to join Jinki in discovering the mysteries about Ba In. Let's all make our own assumptions. 

Third, the story is still undergoing characters introduction so the flow will be slow but don't worry sooner or later, the flow of the story will expand. 

Lastly, I want to share to all of you the reasons why I chose those SHINee members performances. 

For Taemin: That performance was one of the first solo performance made by Taem. I know that he already performed better songs than that like his own solo album but I just want to show everyone how hard Taem worked to achieve his singing ability right now. His singing ability in that video was still raw but it was the first time that I saw his confidence in his singing ability. I felt like he's saying that I am not the just the lead dancer anymore, I am already a singer.

For Minho: That performance was lip synced but I want you to concentrate in his singing ability. Before, he only raps when he perform solo but to sing like that in a concert was already a great achievement for him. That performance made me realized that Minho has so much potential in singing.  

For Jjong: I know that he is a great singer. I know that I should have chosen a performance that showed his vocal range but I want to show everyone that Jjong is a versatile singer. It's not common for Jjong to perform that kind of song so when he performed that song during the concert, I realized that he wanted to show his other side. 

For Kibum: Well, I just followed his image. I wanted to show why he was called the triple threat and I just wanted to brag about his english speaking skills.

For Jinki: I love his ballads more than SHINee's title tracks. Kekeke. I wanted to show how soft his voice is. 

So, yeah, too much talking again. Sorry for the long note! Kekeke