Chapter 7: An invitation.

Meeting Future Wife: University Couple

Korean Vocabularies:

  • Geu yeoja eodiseo? - Where is that girl?
  • Ani - No.
  • Aish! – is an expression that is used to show frustration or irritation.
  • Yah! – Hey! (informal).
  • Eodiseo - Where are you?
  • Mianhae - Sorry. (Mian, short term.)
  • Hwajangsil - Bathroom.
  • Geurae - Really.
  • Arasso – Okay, alright (informal). 
  • Boja - See you!
  • Gwenchana – It’s okay or It’s fine (informal).
  • Annyeong – hello (informal).
  • Jinjja – really (informal).
  • Gomapta – Thank you (informal).
  • Maja - That's right.
  • Ne – Yes (formal).
  • Kaja – let’s go.
  • Daebak - amazing.
  • Neomu yeppeoda - very pretty.
  • Jjang – awesome, great.
  • Wae – why (informal).
  • Kiyeopji ani? - Isn't it cute?
  • Hajima - Stop it!
  • Aigoo – is an expression that can use on many instances like being shock, being tired, being surprised and etc.
  • Nae il - tomorrow.
  • Jeongmal - seriously?
  • Yoboseyo - hello. (When answering the phone.)
  • Ige mwo-ya - what is it?

Chapter 7: An invitation.

ONEW'S POV

While we were walking to the cafeteria, Ba In called Hyo Jin to ask about her whereabouts but when we reached the place, we couldn’t find her.

“Geu yeoja eodiseo? I can’t find her. Do you see her anywhere, Jinki?” We were just standing in front of the entrance of the cafeteria looking for Hyo Jin.

“Ani, I can’t find her as well. Where is she sitting specifically?” I kept looking around the cafeteria to find Hyo Jin but to my dismay I can’t find her familiar face.

“Aish, I’ll just call her again.” Ba In called her and seconds later, I already heard Hyo Jin’s voice.

“Yah, eodiseo?” Ba In shouted because of the noise coming from the students inside the cafeteria.

“Mianhae, Ba In-ah, I went to the hwajangsil. Mian, I will just go to where you are.” I heard Hyo Jin apologized to Ba In.

“Geurae? I am here at the entrance of the cafeteria. I am with Jinki, by the way.” Ba In explained.

“Arasso, I’ll go there. Boja!” Hyo Jin ended the call.

Ba In and I waited for Hyo Jin to come. Minutes later, we heard a yell, “Ba In-ah!”

Ba In and I both turned our heads quickly even if she was the only one called then we saw Hyo Jin hurriedly walking to where we were.

Hyo Jin stopped in front of us then said, “Mianhe Ba In-ah for waiting because of me.” Hyo Jin looked apologetic.

“Yah, stop saying sorry. Gwenchana. It’s not a big deal.” Ba In assured her.

“Annyeong, Hyo Jin!” I greeted her because it seemed like she hadn’t seen me.

“Oh, annyeong Jinki.” Hyo Jin looked at me from head to toe then continued, “You look kind of different.”’

“Jinjja? Good different or bad different?” I asked curiously.

“Good different, I guess. You don’t really look different from yesterday. It’s just that you project some kind of aura right now.” Hyo Jin explained.

“I’ll take that as a compliment. Gomapta!” I smiled at her genuinely. I think it was because of my clothes. I have to thank hyung later.

“Are we just going to stand here or are we going to find a place to sit down?” Ba In said laughingly.

“Ah, maja! Are you vacant right now, Jinki?” Hyo Jin suddenly snapped her gaze at me.

“Ahm… ne, I still have one hour before my next class.” I replied.

“Then, kaja! We also have one hour vacant. Let’s look for a place to sit down outside. The cafeteria is too noisy.” Ba In scrunched her face. She looked cute when she did that expression.

“Then, I guess I’ll have to stick with you two.” I smiled at them.

“Kaja!” Hyo Jin hold Ba In’s arm and pulled her away. I followed suit.

 


 

We found a field a few meters away from the cafeteria building. We sat down together on the grasses. It’s a relief that it didn’t rain earlier so the grasses were dry and soft to sit on.

“Daebak, this part of the university is neomu yeppeoda.” Hyo Jin exclaimed.

The grasses on the field were perfectly trimmed. There were trees lining on each side of the field, benches were positioned in between. At the end of the field, soccer players were having their practice. Students were scattered around, having their own little time, just like us.

“Maja, I have never gone to this part of the university. We should make some time to tour around the campus.” Ba In said.

“Geurae! Let’s make some time this week.” Hyo Jin agreed. I saw in her eyes that she was excited about their plan.

“By the way, mianhe for not coming to your audition, Jinki. I forgot to set my alarm earlier than usual.” Hyo Jin looked at me with pout.

“Aniya, gwenchana. I think I’ll be more nervous if the two of you were there. I don’t want to disappoint both of you.” I assured her so she wouldn’t feel bad.

“What kind of disappointment are you talking about, Jinki? You were jjang!” I didn’t really expect that compliment from Ba In. We haven’t really talked about my performance. She just said that it was nice so I thought that it was just average.

“Jinjja?” Hyo Jin and I said at the same time.

“Yah, Jinki, why are you so shocked? Are you not satisfied with your performance?” Hyo Jin looked at me questioningly.

“Ani, it’s just that I’m not sure about the reaction of other people. It was my first time participating in an audition.” I clarified.

“Ahh… so how was the performance Ba In?” Hyo Jin was looking at me when she swiftly turned her stare to Ba In. I saw that Ba In was startled but she kept her composure.

“It was really great. All the participants before Jinki performed upbeat songs so when I heard his voice, I felt relaxed. It was soothing.” Ba In described my performance the way the emcee did but hearing those words from her made me happier.

“I just wish I was there.” Hyo Jin’s pout turn worse.

“Yah, stop that pout! It’s disgusting!” Ba In jokingly slapped Hyo Jin’s arm.

“Wae? Wae? Kiyeopji ani?” Hyo Jin pouted directly in front of Ba In’s face and threatened to kiss her on the face. Ba In kept on dodging her lips.

“Yah, Hyo Jin-ah. Hajima!” While still laughing, Ba In warned Hyo Jin.

They looked like little kids. I wanted to chuckle at their silliness but it was getting awkward for me.

 I faked a cough then said, “Ehem, this is awkward for me.”

They both stopped and looked at me. Hyo Jin smiled sheepishly while Ba In fixed herself and sat properly.

“Mian! I forgot you’re here.” Hyo Jin apologized cutely.

Ba In elbowed Hyo Jin. The way they looked at each other seemed like they were communicating. I looked at both of them and finally let go of my chuckle, “Aigoo, gwenchana. Both of you are cute.”

“Psh!” Ba In looked ridiculously at me.

“Ah, I almost forgot. How is your routine? Is it finish?” Hyo Jin suddenly jumped in her seat and probed Ba In.

“Oh, right! I finished it last night.” I saw an unfamiliar twinkle in Ba In’s eyes when she spoke.

“Routine?” I gazed at Ba In hoping to be answered.

“Yeah, I am going to audition for the Chungwoon Hip hoppers. I was making a routine last night. I’ll just have to practice it later then I am all set for the audition tomorrow.” Ba In said proudly. It was the first time I heard her spoke that long. The twinkle in her eyes became so obvious that I also felt her excitement.

“Nae il?” I asked. I felt like a child for consecutively saying one word. It’s just that I did not expect to hear this kind of information about her. I felt like wanting to know her more.

“Yeah, tomorrow morning at 9.” She smiled at me when she answered.

“Are you free tomorrow morning, Jinki? Let’s support Ba In tomorrow.” Hyo Jin invited me. She was also feeling excited about Ba In’s audition.

I was startled when Hyo Jin said that. I looked at Ba In for confirmation.

“It’s fine with me. You can come and watch my audition.” Ba In responded.

“Jeongmal?” I asked with doubt.

“Yeah, yeah. I guess, I could use a friend.” She smiled again. I was becoming used to her smiles.

“That’s great. I am super excited. I really want to see your routine, Ba In. I hope you will pass.” Hyo Jin was giddy. She looked at Ba In as if she was her number one fan.

“Don’t worry. I’ll do my best to pass the audition.” She guaranteed. Suddenly, her phone rang.

She reached for her phone inside her bag then answered the call, “Yoboseyo? Ne…” She stood up and went away from our position.

Hyo Jin and I were looking at her when I recalled something. “Hyo Jin-ah, you should give me your number so we know where to meet up tomorrow morning.”

“Ah, maja. Give me your hand phone.” I gave her my phone and she typed in her number.  Then, she called her number using my phone. “That’s it. I also have your number.”

“Ahm, I want to ask you something.” I hesitated when I thought of the words that I wanted to say but I ditched that feeling and tried to summon courage instead.

“Ige mwo-ya?” I saw in Hyo Jin’s eyes that she was a little curious.

“Ahm, can I also have Ba In’s number?” I really wanted to ask for her number but I’m afraid that Ba In won’t give it to me. Even if it’s cowardly, I asked Hyo Jin instead.

“Eh? Why are you asking me that? Why don’t you ask her instead?” Hyo Jin looked confused.

“It’s just that…” My words were cut off because of Ba In’s arrival.

“Hey, guys. I’m back.” Ba In greeted us then sat again.

She was putting back her phone on her bag when Hyo Jin poked her and said, “Ba In, Jinki is asking for your phone number.”

Ba In gazed at me as if she was confirming if it was true.

“Ahm, yeah, it’s good if we can contact each other whenever we want or when we need some help, right?” It’s a relief that my brain did not forget to process at that moment. I was keenly waiting for Ba In’s response.

“I guess, you’re right. Here it is.” She got her phone on her bag for the second time and fiddled with it shortly before giving it to me.

I typed her number on my phone and gave it back to her. She smiled at me in return.

“Hyo Jin-ah, the one who called me was Ga In. She asked for my help on our assignment in Basic Accounting. We need to go now.” She said to Hyo Jin.

“Oh, okay, I’ll just fix my things.” Ba In helped Hyo Jin fix her things while I just looked at them.

“We need to go now, Jinki. Are you okay being alone?” Ba In asked me with worried eyes.  

“Gwenchana, don’t worry about me.” I assured her. They stood up at the same time.

“Annyeong, Jinki, Let’s see each other again tomorrow.” Hyo Jin bid then they walked away.

“Annyeong Ba In-ah and Hyo Jin. Thanks for spending your free time with me.” I shouted at them. They both turned their heads at me and waved good bye.

I was left there wondering what to do or where to go. In the end, I decided to send a message to Ba In.

Annyeong, Ba In. Thanks again for spending your free time with me. See you tomorrow. :)

- Jinki

I waited for a few minutes before she replied.

Geurae! See you! ^_^

-Ba In

I automatically smiled because of her reply. I realized that I looked like a crazy person, sitting on the grass smiling like a fool so I hurriedly stood up and went to my class. 

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Credit for the picture goes to the repective owner. :)

Annyeong guys! Sorry for not updating for so long. I am still busy. We are currently renovating our house and I was assigned for the interior design so I was busy going here and there, yeah, no time for writing. I hope I can appease you with this chapter.