An Unusual Lunch Time

Meeting Future Wife: University Couple

Hi, good morning reader(s). Here is the 4th chapter, I hope you enjoy it! :)

Korean Vocabularies

  • Agassi – Young lady.
  • -ah – is a suffix that you put after the name of someone when you are close or when you treat each other as friends.
  • Ahjumma – adult woman.
  • Aigoo – is an expression that can use on many instances like being shock, being tired, being surprised and etc.
  • Aish! – is an expression that is used to show frustration or irritation.
  • Ani – No (informal).
  • Annyeong – goodbye (informal).
  • Annyeonghaseyo – Hello (formal).
  • Ara – I know (informal).
  • Arassoyo – Okay, alright (formal). (Arasso, informal)
  • Chicken hana juseyo – One order of chicken, please.
  • Dak galbi hana kurigo bibimbap hana juseyo – One order of stir-fried spicy chicken and one order of Korean mixed rice with meat and assorted vegetables, please.
  • Gomapta – Thank you (informal).
  • Gwenchanayo – It’s okay or its fine (formal).
  • Haksaeng – student (Haksaengdeul, plural).
  • Hyung - the term used by Korean males to address another male older than them. 
  • Jinjja – Really (informal).
  • Mianhe – Sorry (informal).
  • Mwo – What (informal).
  • Na baegopa – I am hungry (informal).
  • Palli – Hurry (informal).
  • -ssi – is a suffix that is put after the name of someone when you want to address him/her formally.
  • Yah! – Hey! (informal).

Members of If Looks Could Trill

If Looks Could Trill

  • Kim Jaejoong (President)
  • Dong Taeyang (Vice - president)
  • Jung Yonghwa 
  • Lee Jonghyun
  • Kim Dongjun
  • Do Kyungsoo
  • Kim Jongin

Chapter 4: An Unusual Lunch Time

ONEW'S POV

When I was in class, I did not know what was wrong with me. Was it me, or the time really passed by slowly? The three hours that went felt like twenty hours. I was fidgeting on my chair through the whole lesson. When I proceeded to the cafeteria to meet my new friend, I came up with a theory. There was something in me that wanted to see her again.

I found a vacant table for four on the left side of the cafeteria. I sat there waiting for Ba In to come. While waiting, I was roaming my eyes around the cafeteria. It all appeared strange to me. The enormity of the cafeteria was stunning. The racket I heard from the students gave me an inexplicable feeling that I never felt before. It was so much different from high school. I felt like I was finally in a place where mature people go. No more immature queenkas and kingkas and no more nonsensical bullying. Yes, I really thought that college was what was good for me.

My daydreaming was interrupted when someone waved a hand in front of my face. When my focus came back, I saw Ba In, together with her friend, standing in front of me.

“Hi!” She greeted me.

A smile automatically appeared on my face when I saw her shy smile.

“Ahm, I brought my friend. I hope that you don’t mind her eating with us?” She asked me carefully.

“Ah, ne. Gwenchanayo, Ba In-ssi. I really don’t mind. It is me who has to be thankful to you for eating lunch with me. By the way, you can call me Jinki.” I replied assuredly.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Hyo Jin-ssi.” I greeted her with a bright smile.

“Ne, annyeonghaseyo Jinki-ssi.” Hyo Jin-ssi returned my greeting with a shy smile. Like Ba In-ssi, she was also wearing a pretty dress but she wore a doll shoes instead of a sneaker. It suited her image. She looked pure and innocent, like a dongsaeng that you wanted to protect.

“I’m glad you said that. I think we should drop honorifics since we are all the same age. You can call me Ba In and you can call her Hyo Jin. Right, Hyo Jin-ah?” Ba In looked at her for confirmation.

“Ne! You can also call me Hyo Jin.” She said shyly.

“Really? I feel relieved now. It seems like we’re going to be close faster this way.” I smiled at the two of them.

“I also think so!” Hyo Jin said excitedly.

 “Come on guys, na baegopa. What would you like to eat? I will order for you.” I volunteered as I stood.

“Ani, Jinki. I’ll go with you. I don’t really appreciate it when someone does things for me.” Ba In declined quickly.

“Ah, jinjja? Geurae, let’s go together.” I was taken aback for a moment at Ba In’s reply. How can she decline that fast? It’s just a meal, anyway.

She then asked Hyojin, “What do you want Hyojin? Would you like me to order for you?”

At that moment, I was confused. She didn’t want others to do things for her but it was okay for her to do things for others? How strange. I thought that I was going to have a hard time understanding Ba In.  

 “I want some Dak Galbi, Ba In-ah.” Hyo Jin responded.

“Let’s go?” I asked Ba In.

 “We’ll be back, Hyo Jin” She bid.

Ba In stood up and proceeded to the counter and I followed suit.

“Annyeonghaseyo, ahjumma.” Ba In greeted the food cubicle owner.

“Annyeonghaseyo!” I also greeted.

“What would you like to have, haksaengdeul?” Ajhumma inquired.

“Dak galbi hana kurigo bibimbap hana juseyo, ahjumma.” Ba In ordered politely.

“What about you, young man?” Ahjumma asked me.

“Chicken hana juseyo!” I answered excitedly.

“Arasso, you can wait here for 5 minutes.” Ahjumma smiled at me.

After 5 minutes, ahjumma returned with two trays. The first tray had Ba In and Hyojin’s order together with two glasses of iced tea, two pairs of spoon and chopstick and a saucer with Kimchi. The second tray had the same contents except for my dish which was Chicken.

We were both startled when we reached for the same tray which was her and Hyo Jin’s tray.

 “What are you doing, Jinki? This is ours.” She questioned.

“Eh? That is too heavy for you, Ba In. Aren’t you supposed to carry the lighter tray?” I said to her confusingly.

“Jinki, how many times should I tell you that I can do things on my own?” She replied exasperatedly.

“Ara, Ba In-ah. I am not going to carry the tray for you because you can’t carry it. I was just being a gentleman.” I explained to her.

 “Ya, you don’t have to be a gentleman. It’s not like I am your girlfriend. I can do this easily, Jinki. Let go of the tray.” She replied a bit irritated.

I wasn’t able to reply because I was stunned. She was so persistent. I was lucky that Ahjumma was there to help me.  

“Aigoo, agassi, just give it to the young man here. He is right at being a gentleman. You should be proud that you have a friend like him.” Ahjumma commented and regarded me proudly.

Ba In looked at Ahjumma inquisitively then looked at me annoyingly. Seconds after, she released her grip from her tray and lifted mine instead.

“Finally!” I said jokingly. I looked at Ahjumma and gave her a silent thanks.

She rolled her eyes at me and said, “Just this once, Jinki.”

“Yeah, you are welcome, Ba In.” I grinned at her.

“Palli, Hyojin must be already worried because we took a long time to order.” Ba In urged.

“Arasso!” I replied happily.


 

We were in the middle of eating when a commotion occurred inside the cafeteria. Students were suddenly speaking loudly. Women were abruptly standing side by side, trying to repress their giggles which were useless because I was able to hear it.

Without warning, voices were heard all over the cafeteria. Ba In, Hyojin and I, stood up to look at the students who were singing in a capella. Everyone inside the cafeteria instantly stopped talking and listened to them sing.

(Treblemakers Pitch Perfect 1 Final Performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb9xuYKJVeo)

When they finished singing, everyone gave them a round of applause and some cheering.

“Annyeonghaseyo haksaengdeul. I am Kim Jaejoong, president of If Looks Could Trill. We are the representative a capella group of our university.  We need new members so we are here to invite you to audition tomorrow at 9 am. The venue is at the Chungwoon auditorium. See you tomorrow, pals!” Kim Jaejoong finished. All the members bowed together then exited the cafeteria.

“Wow, their performance felt like a whirlwind just passed by. I was shocked and mesmerized at the same time.” Hyojin said breathlessly.

“Aigoo, Hyojin, please start breathing. I don’t want you to pass out here. I can’t carry you.” Ba In said while laughing at Hyojin’s expression.

“Ba In-ah, weren’t you impressed? They were so good.” Hyojin said while still imagining.

“I guess, they were good. What do you think, Jinki?” Ba In suddenly turned to me.

 “I think I just found the organization that I want to join in.” I said in a daze.

“Jinjja? Are you good at singing?” Ba In said in a surprised voice.

 “Ne?” I ask puzzled.

“Ba In asked if you are good at singing.” Hyojin explained.

“Ah, well, I am not that great but I know how to sing.” I replied warily.

Suddenly, the alarm indicating the end of lunch rang. Ba In stood up and said, “It’s already time, Hyojin and I need to hurry. Our professor does not tolerate late comers. If you are going to audition for that group then I wish you good luck.” She smiled at me and pulled Hyojin up.

“Annyeong, Jinki.” Hyojin bid goodbye hurriedly.

I waved back at the two of them. Without a minute, the two disappeared. I was left wondering why Ba In was suddenly in a rush to leave the cafeteria and what am I going to do with the audition. I guess, me and my hyung will have a long conversation later at night.

I stood and went outside the cafeteria to go to my remaining classes. 

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Credit for the name of the a capella group goes to: http://time.com/3858092/pitch-perfect-name-generator/

Credits for the pictures go to their respective owners.

Hey, reader(s), here's chapter 4. I hope you liked it. 

Well, I experienced something unusual. Hehe. When you are writing a story, you can't help but think about it all the time even if when you are not in front of the computer/laptop. I experienced it yesterday. My mind kept on wandering to the plot of my story, creating scenarios, having ideas and everything. Hahaha. I guess, I was feeling like a writer. :)

Well, I am still open for constructive criticisms. 

Shout out to my first ever subscriber, *teary-eyed* thank you, thank you , @lucysharpe :)

I forgot to mention that I will be uploaing the next chapter on saturday. I need a long time so I can write up to 2,500 words. I feel like my updates are short so I would like to make it longer. For me to be able to do that, I need 2-3 days. When my brain exceeds it limits, it ran out of ideas and words. Haha. Sleep is the only thing that can make my brain work again. :)))))