Chapter 3: Getting To Know Her

Meeting Future Wife: University Couple

Hi, so here it is. I finished it already. So now, I'm out of responsibilitiy of updating. Yey! Enjoy reading! :)

Korean Vocabularies:

  • Arasso – Okay, alright (informal). 
  • -ah – is a suffix that you put after the name of someone when you are close or when you treat each other as friends.
  • Annyeong – goodbye (informal).
  • Aigoo – is an expression that can use on many instances like being shock, being tired, being surprised and etc.
  • Aish! – is an expression that is used to show frustration or irritation.
  • Assa! – Yes!
  • Wae – why (informal).

 

Chapter 3: Getting To Know Her

ONEW’S POV

I got my list of schedule inside my bag and studied it.

“Hmm, Chemistry, my most favorite, for first subject. What a perfect way to start my day!” I excitedly searched for my room. On my way to the room, I thought about my high school days. I was a nerd back then but something happened to me during senior year that forced me to change. From then on, I threw my thick eye glasses and wore contact lenses instead. I also threw away all my out-of-style clothes and bought new ones.  I even read and studied fashion for men so I can dress cooler and I exercised daily so I could look manlier. My brother also helped me in everything. I threw away everything except my knowledge and virtues. Since then, I became famous but I declined everyone’s attention. It’s too late for me to salvage my high school memories because it was already full of sadness and hatred that is why I was looking forward to being in college. This time, I want to have trustworthy friends and long-lasting memories. After reminiscing, I realized that I already missed my room.

“Aish, I missed it. I am already in room 325. Aigoo, Jinki, stop daydreaming.” I scolded myself for the second time today and hopefully, the last time.

After a while, I arrived at room 319. I was so nervous that I thought of going home but I forced myself to forget that thought. I peeked inside the room using the glass pane on the door and my face brightened up when I saw her sitting at the back. She was just sitting there quietly but she looked so feminine and calm to me. There were six chairs per row and she was sitting at the middle chair. Fortunately, nobody was sitting beside her. I hurriedly came in and I saw her looking at me as if she remembered who I was.

“Assa, she knows me!” I said quietly.

I run to the back of the room and when I was about to pull the chair on her left side, a guy sat on it. I felt like someone stole my copies of the book series Harry Potter, it was my favorite. I glared at the guy’s back and perform some nasty facial expressions behind him. I settled and sat down at the girl’s left side instead. When I turned to see her face, the nasty feeling in my gut changed into a pleasant feeling as if the books that were stolen were returned to me together with an additional piece of a special edition book. I was smiling at her when she turned her face to me and I was so startled that I jumped. I heard her giggling.

“Hi, you were the same guy at the auditorium, right?” She asked me while trying to stop her giggling.

“Ah, yes. Hi… I… am… Lee… Jinki.” I stuttered. I put my hand in front for a hand shake.

“Ahh, I am Kim Ba In. Nice to meet you!” She replied lively. She grabbed my hand and we shook our hands.

“Nice too meet you too!” I said with a smile. I was reluctant to free her hand but after a few seconds of shaking, I let it go.

“So, what course are you taking?” She asked me.

“Ahm, I am taking Chemical Engineering. What about you?” I was a bit surprised to realize that talking to her made me comfortable.

“Wow, such a hard course. I am taking Accountancy.” She looked amazed when she heard my reply.

I felt a bit gloomy when I heard that we were not taking the same course. “Now, that course is what you call hard. “ I faked a chuckle to hide my disappointment.

“Yeah, I wish… Oh, I guess that is our professor.” Her words were interrupted when the door suddenly opened.

“Yeah, I guess too.” I agreed with her.

 


 

It was already 30 minutes after the class started when I noticed that she was hugging herself and was brushing her arms to lessen the coldness she was feeling. I was a little worried that something might happen to her like getting a cold or something so I poked her.

She looked at me inquisitively.

I leaned a little closer to her and whispered, “Hey, you cold?”

She, too, leaned closer and spoke, “Yeah, but I can still handle it.”

“I am not feeling cold. I can lend you my jacket.” I offered to her.

Her eyes widened at my proposal and she looked at me with intrigue. Seconds later, she replied. “No, I don’t think it is necessary. I can still handle the cold.Thank you, anyway.” Then, she came back to her original sitting position.

I was curious as to why she reacted like that. It was a little bizarre to me. I was just being nice and being a gentleman to her. Doesn’t girls like that? I wonder if she thought I was hitting on her, I hope not. I faced the front and returned my attention to what the Professor was saying. All the remaining time passed by just like that.

The Professor let us out after giving an assignment. I was still fixing my things when I saw Ba In went out of the room. I absentmindedly threw everything inside my bag and quickly dashed outside the room hoping that I would still see her. Luckily, I saw her by the lockers talking to some girl. I approached her at the same time the girl turned around to go somewhere.

“Hey!” I spoke softly.

She turned around and gave me a questioning look before saying, “Hey!”

Honestly, I didn't know the reason why I followed her. I was still thinking abut what to say when she questioningly said, "Yes?"

I blinked and finally found my words, “Hey, I just want to ask you if you can join me later for lunch.”

“Ahm, you sure?” she asked with doubt.

“Yeah, I guess. I hope I am not disturbing you. It’s just that you’re the first person I knew here and I am not that good at introductions, as you might already know, and I am just hoping that I can be your friend and….” She looked at me as if I am fascinating.

“Oh my God, I am blabbering. I am sorry.” I apologized.

She chuckled a bit. “No, it’s okay. I almost mistook you for a rapper.”

“No, don't even think about it for a second. I’ve tried before but I always run out of breath so I sort of gave up and it has been my worst failure.” I explained.

“Really?” she asked incredulously.

“Yeah, so don’t ask me to rap for you or anything that includes rapping. I at it.” I begged.

She was laughing nonstop. I was glad that my weirdness made her laugh.

“Hey, Ba In-ah, why are you laughing like there is no tomorrow?” The girl she was talking to a while ago came back.

“Oh, Hyo Jin-ah, you’re already back. Nothing, it’s just that Jinki-ssi is so hilarious.” She forced herself to stop laughing but she failed. I felt a tug in my heart when she called my name. What is this feeling? I am suddenly confused. 

“I am so glad you find me hilarious.” I put a fake sarcasm in my voice.

 “Oh, yeah, you’re very funny.” Finally, she got over her happiness and remembered to introduce her friend to me. “By the way, this is Hyo Jin. Kim Hyo Jin. She is also an Accountancy student. She is my block mate.” She introduced.

“And Hyo Jin, this is Lee Jinki-ssi. He is my classmate in my Chemistry subject.“ Hyo Jin-ssi and I greeted each other.

“Well, let’s go Ba In-ah. We’ll be late on our second subject. “ Hyo Jin-ssi urged.

“Oh, okay. Annyeonghigaseyo Jinki-ssi!” Before she got away, I jerked her arm.

“Waeyo?” Ba In turned around.

“Ahm, you haven’t confirmed anything about the lunch.” I replied shyly.

“Oh, right. Let’s meet at the cafeteria at around 12. Arassoyo?” Ba In answered.

“Okay, see you later!” I said and waved at her.

“Okay!” She also waved at me.

I looked at her retreating back until she turned and I can no longer see her. Well, so much for the first few hours of my college life. I looked at the clock at the hallway and sighed.

“I wished the hours could go by quickly.” I said before finally going to my next class. 

 


 

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Credit for the picture goes to the respective owner. :)

So, how's the chapter? Is it interesting? Let me have some feedback. I also want some constructive criticism. Please, anyone, everyone? :)