Nine.

Nothing to Fear.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9

 

She’d gone up a level. That’s the only thing she could describe it.  She’s doing it. She’s getting better.

 

Dr Kang called the other day to ask about her progress and she told him everything. For the first time, she felt like she had so much to tell to him. She told him how Yonghwa made her felt calm, how Yonghwa made her felt safe. For the first 30 minutes, she didn’t stop talking and poor Dr Kang for the expensive phone call.

 

Her doctor was pleased with the news. However, it’s not enough with just an interaction with one guy. Dr Kang said she need to increase her interactions with strangers. It’s certainly not enough just to go to a restaurant or mall with Yonghwa only even though they are now officially a couple. She need to talk confidently to unfamiliar people. That’s her new homework.

 

So Yonghwa took her to a noodle stall next to the coffee shop they went before. He would choose someone random for her to go and talk to. To make it interesting, they both agreed to make it as a dare. Because she’s going to do one and Yonghwa was going to do one.

 

“Ok, that guy,” Yonghwa pointed to a young man on his own at a corner table, who’s tapping away at a laptop.

 

The young man was in his twenties with a beanie and has a grey T-shirt and one of those trendy glasses people wear even though their vision were just fine.

 

“Go up to that guy and ask him if he has a Wi-Fi.”

 

Shinhye felt a bubble of panic and she tried to swallow it down. The young man looked absorbed in his work. He didn’t look like he wants to be interrupted.

 

“He looks… really busy,” she said softly. “What about someone else? What about that old lady?”

 

There’s a sweet-looking, grey-haired woman sitting at the next table, who has already smiled in their direction.

 

“Too easy,” Yonghwa shook his head. “You won’t need to say a word, she’ll just jabber at you. Go up to that guy and ask about the Wi-Fi. I’ll wait here.”

 

Everything in her body was telling her not to go, but Yonghwa was sitting there looking at her, so she forced her leg muscles to operate. Somehow, she was walking across the noodle stall and now she’s standing in front of the man but he hadn’t looked at her. He’s just tapping and frowning.

 

“Excuse me,” she managed.

 

Tap-tap-tap-frown.

 

“Excuse me,” she tried again.

 

Tap-tap-tap-frown. He didn’t even try to look up.

 

She so wanted to back away. But Yonghwa was watching. When their eyes met, she knew she had to deal with this.

 

“Excuse me?” her voice burst out so loudly this time, she almost jumped in fright, and finally the young man lifts his head. “I was wondering if you have Wi-Fi?”

 

“What?” he scowled.

 

“Wi-Fi? Do you have Wi-Fi here?”

 

“Yah ahjumma, I’m going to work.”

 

“I’m sorry. I was just wondering ----“

 

“About the Wi-Fi. Are you stupid? This is noodle stall. You can go to the coffee shop next door for free Wi-Fi,” he stopped and focused on her dark glasses. “Are you blind?”

 

“I’m not blind,” her voice trembled. “I was just asking. Sorry to bother you.”

 

“Such a moron,” he muttered as he started tapping again.

 

Tears were welling in her eyes, and as she backed away, her legs were wobbly. But her chin was high. She was determined she’s not going to meltdown or dissolve.

 

“I did it!” she forced a grin onto her face when she got back to the table.

 

“What did he said?” Yonghwa demanded.

 

“He called

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter