Six.

Nothing to Fear.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 6

 

So Seojoon bought his sister a new phone. Basically, her old phone had drowned into the sea when she visited Jeju Island where the tragedy began. Anyway that was step one. Seojoon knew the reason behind this phone, so the first number he saved as the contact in the phone was Yonghwa’s number. That was step two.

 

Step three was only to call him. So Shinhye need to call him.

 

‘But he said just give him a text. He didn’t mention about calling,’ she said to herself when she couldn’t bring herself to call him.

 

So instead she text.

 

Hi Yonghwa ssi. This is Shinhye here, Seojoon’s sister. I’m reconsidering your invitation to go to the coffee shop with you.

 

She was not expecting for a reply. Well, Yonghwa didn’t come over after their last meeting in the living hall. Seojoon told her that his parents were on a business trip so he needs to take care of his grandparents fully until then.

 

And it had been two weeks.

And she kinda missed him.

She missed his face.

She missed his tokki smile.

 

And that’s the reason she took a step forward to go to the coffee shop so she could see him. The phone buzzed straight away after she sent the text.

 

That’s great. So before you change your mind now, would you like to go on a date with me at the coffee shop?

 

Shinhye almost chocked on her juice when she finished reading the text. Date? A date? He was asking her out for a date now? Was he nuts? Then a second text arrived.

 

Just think it as an exposure therapy date that helps you to feel better. You still have to go to the coffee shop for your homework right.

 

Again, he sounded so confident. And she hated it because for now, everything he said seems right. So she tried not to sound awkward and hid the adrenaline rush that she felt from her text. Adrenaline rush, she was excited.

 

Okay. As long as I’m not alone, I think I’ll give it a try. So when are you free?

 

She pressed send and within one minute, he replied.

 

How about 4pm this evening? My sister is visiting so she can watch over my grandparents for awhile. We can go to the coffee shop near the junction of your house.

 

A jolt of panic went through her like white fire. 4pm this evening? It’s like 2 hours away only. Was he really nuts?

 

Her fingers were trembling. Her skin felt hot. A sudden regret came into her mind. Her brain was putting all the blame on her. She could hear all the voices of her family inside her head:

 

It’s time for some bigger steps.

You need to push yourself, Shinhye.

You won’t know until you try.

Everyone here knows you are stronger than this.

 

She stared at the phone till the numbers blur in front of her eyes. Then she typed the text quickly before she changed her mind.

 

Ok. See you there.

 

***

 

 Shinhye knew what it’s like to be an old person now. She didn’t know what it’s like to have wrinkly skin and white hair. But she did know now what it’s like to walk down the strees at a slow, uncertain pace, wincing at the passing of people and flinching when horns beep and feeling like everything is moving just too fast.

 

It’s Friday, so her dad was still at work while mom and Manse’s family went out to visit their relatives in Gwanghamun. Seojoon had a date with Jihyo. So prac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter