Chapter 24

Falling For You

She quickly replied to Kyu Jong’s text, agreeing to the time to meet up to go over lines for tomorrow before slipping her phone into her purse as she opened the door to the townhouse, making her way in. She was excited to see Kyu Jong after hearing his song. He sounded great and she was so excited to hear how he felt about it now that it’d finally been released. She couldn’t really explain anything to Liz which left her extremely confused and made Kayla promise to tell her as soon as she was able.

Kayla kicked her heels off and stepped inside, was in the process of removing her coat, when she saw her brother come down the hall, a look of confusion on his face. She went to say something to him about Kyu Jong, when she stopped, behind him was their father. Her shoulders slumped, she wanted to enjoy today, she’d been happy and now that her dad was here…

Taking a breath, she finished hanging up her coat before turning to see her father watching her carefully. She hesitated a moment before opening to speak, but he beat her to it.

“Hello Kayla.”

She blinked, slightly startled, her father rarely acknowledged her first, “Hi Dad.”

He continued to watch her, and she looked over at Shane who was looking at her in bafflement.

“Uhh I’m gonna head out,” Shane said suddenly.

“Oh, ok, I hope you two have a good time.”

“I’m not going with him. I was hoping we could go out to dinner, just the two of us,” her father said suddenly.

“Huh?” She blurted out.

“I’ll see you both later,” Shane said as he made his way past them, giving Kayla’s shoulder a gentle squeeze on his way out the door.

“If you don’t already have plans, we could go out to dinner,” he said, still watching her.

Was he serious?

He waited expectantly for her response.

“Oh…uh…sure Dad, I don’t have anything planned.”

“Great, if you’re ready, we can go now.”

“Let me…change first.”

“No need, you look fine,” he said quietly.

“O-ok, let’s go then,” she stuttered, feeling slightly awkward.

As she pulled into the parking lot a short time later, she looked over at her Dad who sat in the seat next to her.

He looked at her and raised an eyebrow, “What?”

“N-nothing,” she said, clearing as she struggled to open the door a second before busting out.

Making her way around, she met her Dad on the other side, and they made their way into the restaurant and were quickly seated, and menus were given. She looked her over, but barely registered anything she was reading. Kayla was nervous, very nervous, she didn’t know what to expect. She hadn’t been out with her Dad alone or at all, in years, literally.

What was going on? Was he here to tell her he didn’t want anything more to do with her ever again? The fact that Shane wasn’t there with them made her even more nervous. Did he not want to embarrass her in front of him? That would be new as he’d never hesitated to do so in the past. Slowly she set the menu down and took a deep breath, finding it too hard to focus on what she wanted.

“Have you decided what you want?”

Kayla looked up at her Dad who was watching her expectantly.

“Uh yeah, I think so.”

He nodded and then the waitress came up and they placed their orders, she quickly picked something out, not caring if she wanted it or not. Once the waitress left, she stared nervously at her Dad, bracing herself for the onslaught.

“How have you been?” He asked her, taking a drink of his water.

She blinked, looking around uncomfortably, where was this going? If he was going to break her heart, she wished he would just get it over with.

“Kayla?”

Hesitantly she looked back over at him and he sighed, shaking his head and she looked down. Here it came, the inevitable scolding for not answering fast enough and not looking at him the whole time.

“You know, I never wanted you to look at me the way you did just then, the way you always looked at me for the last few years.”

Her gaze flew to him and he looked at his glass of water suddenly, “It’s my fault really, I haven’t done much to make you look at me or regard me the way you used to, I own that,” he side before reaching out to take the glass and take another drink, this one longer.

After downing half the glass, he looked back over at her and sighed again.

“It’s still there, shock, doubt, a pinch of anger and most of all, fear. I never thought the day would come when my children would ever fear me, I guess I’ve really screwed up huh?” He said self depreciatingly, “I’ll own that too.”

She simply stared at him, she didn’t know what to say, didn’t know how to respond.

“Relax Kayla, I’m not trying to start anything with you. Actually, I wanted you to have dinner with me because I wanted to make up for the lost time, for all those years. I want you to tell me how you feel, how it’s felt all those years when I did what I did and said what I said. Tell me,” he said.

Her eyes widened and went to say something just as the waitress came over with their food, setting it down before leaving. Neither one moved, they just continued to stare at each other.

“This isn’t a trap Kayla, I want you to tell me, I want to know, I need to know.”

“Why?”

Her father gave her a sad and tired smile, suddenly looking very much his age.

“Because I’ve done you a great disservice over the years. I haven’t been the best father to you. I was an equally bad husband as well, but that’s a whole other story. I don’t want you to have any regrets later Kayla, I want you to tell me, I want you to let it out so you can move on. I want you to find a man that is not like me. I fear that if we don’t resolve this, you may end up with the wrong man for you.”

“I have a man Dad.”

Her Dad stared at her, sighing, “I know you do Kayla, that’s why I’m saying this to you.”

She frowned, “I don’t understand.”

“You know, it’s been said that we end up dating or marring someone who is like our parents. While that would be fine for Shane, you on the other hand…”

“Dad?”

He looked away, sighing again, “Later for that ok? Let’s eat and then we’ll finish this discussion.”

They ate in silence, the whole time Kayla was on edge, trying to decide how she was going to handle their talk. A short time later, they finished eating, with Kayla taking an unnecessarily long-time finishing. When she could hold off no longer, she set her fork down and looked up at her Dad who was watching her in amusement.

“I take it you’re finally finished?”

“Yeaaahhh…”

He chuckled, “You act as if you’re getting ready to face a firing squad.”

She gave him a weak smile, “It feels like it.”

His smiled faded and he grew serious, “Tell me Kayla, say it.”

Kayla shook her head, “I don’t even know how to start.”

“Just tell me how you feel.”

She shook her head, at a loss, “Well…uhh…”

Her father waited patiently.

“Do we really have to do this?”

“Yes,” he said seriously.

“Does it really matter? It’s over and done with. It’s how you feel about me…”

“And just how do you think that is exactly?” He interrupted.

“That I’m a failure and a disappointment.”

“That’s not how I feel at all.”

“Oh yeah? Well that’s how it feels, how it’s almost always felt for the last several years.”

Her father shook his head, “No.”

“Then what else was I supposed to think? You’ve treated me as nothing but a failure, for years. Taking every opportunity to put me down, embarrass and tease me in front of everyone you had the chance to. Do you know how much that hurt? I’ve always felt like a joke to you, something to be mocked, but you know, I still went on and did what you told me. I pursued medicine even though it wasn’t what I truly loved to make you happy, to try to make you see me as someone worthwhile and it still wasn’t enough,” she stated in agony.

Her father looked down, shaking his head.

“I tried to tell you what I loved, where my passion lies, but you couldn’t accept it, wouldn’t accept it. You’ve treated me like crap for years Dad and I’m almost positive I didn’t deserve it.”

He lifted his head, “No Kayla, you didn’t deserve it.”

“Then why? Why did you do it? Why wasn’t anything I’ve done ever good enough?” Kayla questioned, her heart pounding and she could feel the tears welling up in her eyes, demanding to be released. As scared as she was to hear it, she had to know why.

“You’ve always been good enough. I thought…I thought you…I always wanted what was best for you. I know you’re extremely smart and talented, I just didn’t want you selling yourself short. I know what you’re capable of.”

“But I know what I’m capable of too Dad, I know what makes me happy, what I love to do.”

“I know.”

She shook her head in confusion.

“I was just being stubborn, wanting you to do what I wanted, wanting to control and have you do what I thought would make you happier than what you claimed to be. I just…want you to be happy,” he explained softly.

Kayla sighed and looked down.

“You should know, you need to know though Kayla.”

Slowly she lifted her head to cautiously look at him.

“I’m proud of you, I’ve always been extremely proud of you.”

She went still, staring at him in stunned silence.

“I’ve never thought of you as a failure. I know it came across that way and it was never my intention, I’m sorry. My parents, that was what they did with me. I remember how lousy it felt and I swore when I had kids, I wouldn’t do that. That I would do better, be better,” he sighed. “I continued the cycle, I became them, I’m sorry Kayla. You never got to meet your grandparents, maybe it’s a good thing you didn’t,” her father announced, looking at her steadily.

She blinked rapidly, trying not to cry in front of him, not wanting him to see that weakness. Even though it was her father she didn’t want him to see her like that, didn’t want him to have that bit of her emotion. Having him tell her that he was proud of her, was a feeling unlike anything she’d experienced in her life from him. It was hard for her to contain how she felt, but she took a few calming breaths before looking at him to see him watching her sadly. She detected what looked to be a faint sheen of tears in his eyes.

“Yes, I guess I deserved that withholding of emotion. Still, I can tell you’re upset, you’ve done a good job of hiding it for the most part.”

Kayla gave him a look and he chuckled.

“You are my daughter, I can tell. Despite how it seems, I know you fairly well.”

She laughed and nodded, “I guess in some ways you do.”

They arrived back at her place a few hours later. After eating, they’d gone out shopping and it was the first time she’d gone out with her Dad and had enjoyed just being with him. He was different, complimentary and considerate, she was afraid to get used to it in case it didn’t last.

“You’re coming in, right? I’m sure Shane would like to see you.”

He nodded, “Just for a bit but then I have to get back to the hotel and rest I’m feeling really tired.”

She stared at him, “You ok Dad?”

He looked at her and smiled a bit, “Let’s get inside, it’s getting late,” was all he said.

Kayla felt something inside her shift, worry flooding her suddenly. Turning, she unlocked the door and walked in.

“Hey, you’re home,” Shane greeted them.

She smiled, her eyes widening when she saw Kyu Jong there.

“Hey K!”

Kyu Jong stood up from the couch and smiled at her, “Hello Kayla,” he said softly.

She hurried over to him and reached out, taking his hands in hers, “I heard your song K! I heard it, I’m so happy for you! We have to go out and celebrate! Are you free tonight?”

Kyu Jong chuckled, “Well…”

“Kayla he just released his single, he needs to go out and get good and drunk, this is not the time for tea and conversation. He needs a few, no several good stiff drinks!” Shane announced passionately.

Kyu Jong grinned wider, “Hyung…”

“Now Kayla, don’t go asking him celebrate unless you’re prepared to go all the way to the next level.”

“We’re supposed to go out for drinks Shane, you nut job! Let me get a word in!”

There was a chuckle from behind her and she turned to see her Dad grinning in amusement, looking between the three.

“Oh, sorry Dad. Thurman Jacobs, this is Kyu Jong Kim, he’s here from South Korea. K, this is Dad,” Kayla announced suddenly.

“Ahh yes, Shane has definitely mentioned him, hello Kyu Jong, it is nice to meet you finally,” her Dad said, bowing at Kyu Jong.

Kyu Jong smiled and bowed ninety degrees, Kayla frowned a bit, but then figured her Dad would know about customs as a businessman who traveled overseas regularly.

They shook hands.

“I hope Kayla and Shane have been good landlords to you.”

“You sir, they have both been very kind, Kayla especially.”

She looked over at Kyu Jong suddenly.

“Oh?”

“Yes sir, she has gone out of her way to make me feel welcome, introducing me to her friends and making me feel at home. She is a very remarkable woman, you must be so proud of her,” he said softly.

Shane blinked and then grinned at Kyu Jong broadly, while Kayla continued to stare at Kyu Jong in shock. He never looked at her, but continued to look at her Dad, almost expectantly. Mr. Jacobs looked at Kyu Jong steadily for a moment before a warm smile spread over his lips.

“Yes, I am actually, very proud.”

Shane’s eyes widened and he reached out, giving Kyu Jong a small shove and a megawatt smile. She was floored, no one had ever heard her Dad say he was proud of her, not even herself before today, what had just happened here?

Kyu Jong smiled, “It was nice to meet you sir.”

“Likewise.”

Kyu Jong finally turned to her, giving her a gentle smile, “When you are ready, text me and we’ll go out, I will go get ready.”

She nodded, still in a daze as he said his goodbyes and left. The three stood in silence for a moment before Mr. Jacobs turned to Shane.

“Can you give me a ride back to the hotel?”

“Sure Dad.”

Can you give me a moment with your sister?”

Shane nodded and headed out to the car.

______________________

A/N: Yay another update!! This took way less time to type up and less time to write, which was awesome! This is a meaningful chapter to me, for various reasons. The situation with Kayla and her Dad, is very reminicant of me with my Dad. My Dad wasn't quite like Kayla's, but he is based off him and my whole issue with not hearing that he was proud of me, bled over into this. Writing this out was very emotional and hard, so much of Kayla is like me it's scary. That said, isn't it sweet that K had her father say he was proud of her to him? He's one of the few who got to witness it. Another chapter coming soon, thanks for your paitence and for waiting!!

~MO