Revelations

After all this time, it's still you

As you stood in front of your room staring at the void after Taekwoon had left, realization descended on you. It was a moment of epiphany, when you could suddenly remember all the times you caught him staring at you and Hakyeon playing around together or laughing together. Does he still like you? Is he jealous of Hakyeon? While you thought he was Nana's spy, he was actually just jealous of the two of you being this close while he had to be down in the kitchen.

You entered your room and closed the door. Your grumbling tummy reminded you of the food he had just brought you. You sat down on your bed and reached for the plate and ate your food in silence while still thinking of what happened. Taekwoon was a confusing person. Unlike the other servants, he was always quiet. You wondered if he was quiet around you only. But then you remembered his silly questions and weird remarks and realized he's hiding more than you think.

When you finished eating you laid on your bed, trying to get some sleep. You tossed and turned, and tossed and turned, but sleep couldn't find its way to your eyes. It's only been a couple of months since you came back home but Taekwoon and thoughts of him occupied you more than anything else. Even more than the issue of that USB and the mysterious men breaking into your room. Thoughts of him never ceased and he only aroused your curiosity more and more every day.

It was past midnight and everybody was asleep when you couldn't take it anymore. One thought led to another and you found yourself making more excuses to go downstairs and talk to him. I need to ask him if he still likes me, I need to know what memories he has of me, I need to talk to him. You found yourself sneaking out of your room, looking around for someone hiding behind the corner before going downstairs toward the kitchen. You wanted answers, you needed answers and you weren't leaving without getting them.

You peeked into the kitchen and it was surprisingly empty. You looked around for Taekwoon but he was nowhere to be found. You let out an annoyed sigh. I really wanted to talk to him, you thought to yourself before turning around and bumping into a slender body. You jumped in your place and put your hand on your chest as you took a step backwards.

- Do you need something?

He asked, his tall, slender body, hovering over you. You took a deep breath, trying to even the beating of your heart before saying:

- I... I need to talk to you.

He walked into the kitchen, as he said:

- I told you I am not allowed to.

- But you already did.

- It was a mistake.

- Taekwoon please.

You almost begged.

- I am sorry.

- But I need to talk to you. Please.

He sighed audibly when he saw how persistent you were. He pointed at the kitchen stool and said:

- Have a seat.

You looked around, afraid you'll get caught talking to him.

- No, not here. Can we go outside?

- But it's cold.

- I just don't want to talk here. Please.

- As you like.

He opened the back door and let you out before following you and closing the door behind him. You were both silent for a few seconds as you walked around the garden. The beating of your heart was getting louder as you tried forming a question in your head. What memories do you have of me? Of our childhood?

He was curious, eager to know the urgent matter you needed to talk to him about. But he didn't want to urge you to speak. He enjoyed this walk. Being with you was comforting. Even though his heart was racing in his chest, he was content to simply be with you.

After what felt like forever, you finally asked:

- I... You probably know that... I don't really remember anything of my childhood.

He hummed in response. Your voice was music to his ears and he didn't want to interrupt its flow.

- But... I know that we used to... to be close. So I... thought you might... remember something about... me... my childhood.

He took a deep breath and thought for a second before saying:

- We... we were very close. You, Hakyeon and I were almost inseparable. You... enjoyed running around and playing hide and seek. You were good at math and history. It was difficult to order you around; you had a very strong personality.

He was talking with such passion, a smile adorning his handsome face. You found yourself staring at him and smiling as he continued:

- Once the three of us were playing near that swing. Hakyeon kept pushing you higher and higher and you were crying. You hated swings.

He paused for a second.

- Then you called my name. I... I ran to you, pushed Hakyeon away and stood in the swing's way trying to stop it. I scraped my elbow while getting you off the swing and when you came down you... took of your headband and wrapped it around my arm. I... I still have it.

Your heart clenched, and your body shivered. Why would he keep that thing for so long?

- Do you... do you still like me?

He stared at you and you could swear his eyes were sparkling again. You were waiting eagerly for his answer. Would he say yes? Would he say no?

- Why does it matter now?

- Just answer me, please.

He paused for a couple of seconds before answering:

- What if I say no?

- Then at least I'll get an answer.

- Will you stop asking me more questions?

- I... I think I will.

He let out a sigh and then said:

- My answer is... yes.

You felt a knot form in your stomach. You thought he'd say no. You were almost sure he'd say no. His answer left shocked you. You had no idea how to respond or what to say afterwards so you stood there, silently staring at him, your body shivering and your face turning a bright shade of red as you asked:

- Why?

His ears turned pink and his eyes were studying your face as he answered:

- I don't know.

- But... I couldn't remember anything about you. I didn't even remember your name.

Tears were welling up in your eyes as feelings of guilt took over you. You could see pain filling his eyes as he said:

- It doesn't matter. You know it now.

- I might not be able to feel the same way about you, ever.

He frowned as he asked in a sharp tone:

- How do you know?

- Because... we're not allowed to.

You stuttered so he added, with the same harsh tone in his voice:

- So even if you start feeling the same way about me you won't admit it because we're not allowed to?

- I don't know.

Your voice failed you as it came out soft and weak.

- Why are you asking me if I still like you then?

- I.. I just wanted to know.

- You just wanted to know?

He almost yelled, and you could see his body shaking in anger:

- Why? Does it make you feel good to know I lived the past fifteen years waiting for you to come back? Waiting to lay my eyes on you again and know that you've been doing well all this time? Wanting to talk to you, see you, hear you, touch you, hold you in my arms again? Do you want to know if I think about you every single night before I sleep? I do. Do you want to know if I wait for your call and make you your favorite drink and bring it up to your room only to see you one last time before you sleep? I do. Do you want to know if I will live in the hope of you remembering me, remembering us, one day even it takes forever? Yes. I. do!

He paused to catch his breath and you were shaking, your heart was beating fast and your breathing hitched when he said:

- I said it all. Happy now?

- I'm... sorry.

You turned around to go back to the house, but he grabbed your arm and pulled you back, forcing you to look at him:

- Sorry? Is that all you've got to say?

- It's not my fault you waited all this time for nothing!

You were almost yelling, your body shivering, being cold and overly emotional. He let go of your arm as he said:

- You're right. It's my fault.

 

You ran towards the house, tears flowing down your cheeks. He stood there watching you run away from him. Pain pierced through his heart as he felt that he lost you, again.

You were both in pain. You didn't know how to feel about what happened. Feelings of guilt accompanied by feelings of confusion and loss took over you. You ran to your room. The tears wetting your cheeks were soon all over your pillow as you buried your face in it and cried your heart out. It was awful being unable to remember things that meant so much to others and were supposed to mean a lot to you too. It felt terrible not being able to stand on the same ground with someone who cared so much for you. He remembered things about you that even the closest people might have forgotten. You cried until your eyes could no longer stay open and you fell asleep, the salty tears still flowing down your cheeks.

He fell asleep holding your headband in his hands and wetting his pillow with bitter tears as he felt weak and vulnerable. He cursed himself, his life, the small room which the limit of his dreams. He wanted to break free, but not for himself but for you. He wished to leave this place and erase all obstacles preventing him from claiming you and calling you his again.

 

 

You woke up the next morning with puffy eyes and a sore throat. You looked at the clock on the wall indicating it was 9 in the morning. You had no intention of going downstairs and stirring curiosity with your puffy eyes, so you decided to go back to sleep. You woke up 2 hours later to a knocking on your door. You pulled the comforted off your body and got off bed to open the door. You found Hakyeon staring at you as he asked:

- Are you okay?

- Yes.

Your voice was weak.

- Why didn't you come down for breakfast?

- I was tired.

- You look terrible.

- I know.

- Nana keeps asking about you.

- I'll take a quick shower and meet you downstairs.

- Okay.

He left as you closed the door and lay back on your bed. You stayed like this for a couple of minutes, not wanting to get up. You then decided to follow him, not wanting Nana to come upstairs and see you like this. You walked toward the bathroom, took your clothes off, and let the hot water run down your body. You got out of the shower and changed into some warm clothes, took a final look at your semi-puffy eyes in the mirror and proceeded to dry your hair. Half an hour later you were going downstairs, barely able to move your legs.

- Are you okay?

Nana asked as soon as she saw you. You gave her a tiny nod and then said:

- I'm fine, don't worry about me. It's just a cold.

- Come sit with me. I'll let them make you something to drink.

You sat down next to her and she asked the made to make you something warm to drink. A few minutes later you were sipping your tea as Nana patted your back softly and touched your forehead gently trying to see if you had fever.

- This will make you feel better.

- Thank you.

- Are you sure you don't want to see a doctor?

- Yes I am sure.

You put your cup on the tea table and stood up.

- Where are you going?

- I need some fresh air.

- But you're sick.

- I feel like I can't breathe. I will walk around for a bit and then come back in.

You stood up before she could object and left the house, walking in the direction of the garden. You didn't see Taekwoon anywhere and you were oblivious to the fact that he was watching you from the kitchen's window. You were still thinking about everything he said last night. The pain in his eyes haunted your dreams and you couldn't stop thinking of how hurt he was.

 

You walked around for a bit before you started feeling dizzy. You stopped walking, trying to balance yourself when you felt your head spinning. You took a deep breath but things felt worse and you could feel the ground spinning under your feet and soon you were laying on the ground. A second passed before you could feel your body being lifted off the ground. You opened your eyes to find yourself staring at Taekwoon as he put an arm under your knees and another behind your back, carrying you inside the house amid worried eyes and anxious questions.

As soon as Nana saw you being carried by him she let out a gasp and ran in his direction.

- What happened?

- She fainted in the garden.

Taekwoon answered.

- Take her to her room. Sojin, call the doctor.

You unconsciously wrapped your arm around Taekwoon's neck, the heat of your body surrounding his. He climbed the stairs and walked in the direction of your room when he saw Hakyeon come out of his room. Hakyeon stared at him for a second before asking:

- What's wrong with her?

- She fainted. Help me put her in her bed.

The then addressed the maid following him:

- Get me a cold compress quickly.

Hakyeon ran toward your room, opened the door to let Taekwoon in and watched him as he laid you in bed. You still had your arms around his neck. He tried taking your arms off him gently but he froze in his place when you whispered:

- Woonie, you've come to rescue me, right?

Hakyeon pushed him away as soon as he put your arms down, being triggered by what you said.

- Get out of here.

Taekwoon hesitated for a second, seeing you mumbling unconsciously, and then left the room. Hakyeon turned to look at him, regretting that he kicked him out of the room before turning to look at you. The maid came back with the cold compress and he took it from her and started wiping your sweat away before placing the compress on your forehead. Nana ran into the room as she asked:

- Is she going to be okay?

- She's got fever. Did they call the doctor?

- Yes. He said he'll arrive in 15 minutes. Should we take her to the hospital?

- Let's wait for the doctor and then decide.

She left him and went to see if the doctor arrived. Hakyeon continued placing the compress on your forehead when you faintly called Taekwoon again. Hakyeon swallowed hard, looking around him to see if Nana was still there. He then turned back to you, leaned down and whispered in your ear:

- It's me, Hakyeon.

- Where is Taekwoon?

Your fever was taking over you and you were mumbling random things that left him very confused. He didn't know whether you were raving or actually remembering things.

- Isn't he coming to rescue me?

- He... he will. You should rest.

He continued wiping the sweat off your face and neck as Nana, followed by the doctor, entered the room and he was forced to leave. The doctor came out a few minutes later and handed Nana a prescription. Nana walked him out of the house and turned to find Hakyeon. She handed him the prescription and said:

- He said it's nothing serious. Just make sure she drinks enough fluids and takes her medications regularly.

- But... she was raving.

- What did she say?

He hesitated for a second and she urged him to speak so he said:

- She... she was calling Taekwoon, asking if he was coming to rescue her.

Nana looked at him for a couple of seconds before saying:

- Is this what you used to play as kids? Wasn't he always the one to rescue her?

- Yes.

She frowned.

- Then she might be remembering things.

- Should... should we send him away?

Hakyeon asked in concern.

- She's not a kid anymore. If she remembers what happened, she'll understand that we did it for her own good.

- But...

- There is nothing to worry about. Now go ask someone to get the medications while I tell the maids to make her a soup.

 

 

Hakyeon couldn't stop worrying about it as he asked one of the drivers to buy the medications and went back to check on you. He entered the room and sat next to you. He moved a lock of hair off your face and touched your forehead gently. He then stood up and pulled the comforter over your body and left the room. He saw Taekwoon standing outside your room as soon as he got out of it.

- Why are you here?

- I... I brought the medications.

Hakyeon reached for them as Taekwoon asked:

- Is she okay now?

Hakyeon looked at him and then said:

- Yes.

- Can I see her?

- No.

Taekwoon let out a sigh in annoyance. Hakyeon, seeing how worried he was, said:

- She's asleep now. You can see her when she wakes up.

Taekwoon lifted his head up and looked at Hakyeon before saying:

- Thank you.

Hakyeon nodded and Taekwoon turned around and went downstairs. Hakyeon followed him downstairs to find Nana. She was in the kitchen speaking with Eunji when he interrupted them and handed her the medications and the prescription.

- She needs to take one of these three times a day. If she takes one now someone will have to give it to her at around 2 a.m.

One of the maids walked up to them and said:

- I am usually awake around this time. I can give it to her.

Nana looked at her and asked:

- Are you sure? She has to take it in time.

- Yes ma'am. I'll give it to her.

- Thank you. Here.

Nana gave the maid the medications and the prescriptions and continued her conversation with Eunji after Hakyeon left the kitchen.

- Talk to your fiancé and tell him I want to hold the wedding here.

- But what if he says no?

- Then I'll talk to him. Eunji, do you want to hold your wedding somewhere else?

- No! I'd love it if we can do it here!

- Then tell him and let me know what he says. We can arrange everything you need within the coming month and a half.

- Thank you so much!

She gave Nana a light hug and then said:

- I'll talk to him and then call a wedding planner and see what we can do.

Nana then stood up and looked at her watch before saying:

- Some of my friends are coming over for lunch. I have to leave you now and get ready. Let me know what your fiancé thinks about the wedding.

- I will. Thank you very much.

Nana hugged Eunji again and said:

- It's my pleasure.

 

 

 

As soon as both of them left, one of the maids said:

- A wedding?! In this house?

The other answered as she put the dishes away:

- Yes. Why not?

- This means we're going to have to serve hundreds of people.

The maid chuckled and then asked:

- Do you think they won't get waiters and bartenders and so on and so forth? It's a wedding, of course they will.

- This is going to be hectic.

 

Taekwoon listened to both conversations without being able to focus on any. He was thinking about you, worried that you might be awake, needing someone by your side when everyone was talking about weddings and parties, leaving you alone. He wanted to go upstairs and check on you but he was afraid he'd get caught and get in trouble. He will have to wait long hours to be able to go there without having them question it. He nudged the maid and asked her to say she'd give you the medications, because he couldn't suggest it himself. He had her suggest it and then asked her to let him do it for her, and she agreed.

He spent the rest of the day helping her around and doing chores for her as a payback for the favor she was doing him. He did it heartedly and she knew how sincere he was about it. She saw him wait by the phone every night waiting for your call, she saw how excited he gets while preparing your drink and taking it up to your room, she saw him return from your room every time with a smile on his face. She also saw him look at you through the kitchen's window and run to you as soon as he saw you losing your balance and falling to the ground, and she knew how much you meant to him.

 

 

The rest of the day passed very slowly as he tried to busy himself walking around the garden or looking for something to read until the maid came back from your room.

- How is she?

- She woke up and I think she's feeling better now.

- What time is her next medicine?

- Um... Her next medicine is in 5 hours, at 2 a.m.

- I'll take care of that.

- Okay. Just make sure she eats something before taking the medicine. I'll prepare some soup. Heat it and give it to her before giving her the pill.

- I will.

She turned to put the dinner away and take care of the dishes when he said:

- Thank you.

- Just be careful.

- I will.

 

 

The coming 5 hours were the longest. He offered the maid to help her with the dishes but she told him to rest, so he went back to his room and tried to study. He tried his best to focus on what he was reading. He checked the time at least fifteen times. He lay on his bed and grabbed the book you gave him, opened it and went through the message you left him there.

- I shouldn't have yelled at her.

He hugged the book and dozed off, having been working all day long. He woke up at around 1:40 a.m., reached for his phone, and jumped off bed when he saw the digital numbers on his screen. He ran toward the kitchen, got the soup out of the fridge and started heating it. He took out a bowl and poured the soup, reached for the medicine and put it on a tray along with a warm glass of water and went up to your room. He looked around to see if anybody was awake before walking in the direction of your room. He stood in front of your room as he looked at the tray and then at your closed door.

- How am I supposed to open the door?

The door was suddenly open and he froze in his place for a second, afraid it was Hakyeon. You stood dumbfounded at the sight in front of you. Taekwoon was standing in front of you with a tray in hand, like he always does.

- Where are you going?

He asked and you mumbled:

- I'm hungry.

- I got you something to eat. Go back to your bed.

You did as told, not wanting to argue back. He set the tray on the nightstand, brought the coffee table close to your bed and moved the tray to the coffee table. You sat up in bed and tried reaching for the bowl.

- I'll feed you.

You looked at him, flustered, so he said:

- I... you're tired and I...

- I don't think I can feed myself anyway.

You said as you rested your back against the headboard of the bed. He swallowed hard when you moved closer to him. He gave you a napkin to put under your chin so you did and waited for him to cool the soup before starting to feed you. His hands were shaking but he got a hold of himself, afraid he'd spill the soup on you while trying to feed you. You felt nervous, having him feed you and look after you after what happened last night. Your guilt intensified as he looked at you intently and wiped your mouth when you were done eating. You averted your eyes away from him when you felt your cheeks heat up.

- Are you still hungry?

You shook your head 'no' so he took the pill out of the container and said:

- Open your mouth.

You turned to look at him and did as he told you. He put the pill in your mouth and pulled his hand quickly when it brushed your lips, his face turning red. He handed you the glass of water while trying to avoid looking at you. Things were getting more awkward when your hand brushed against his as you took the glass from him. You took a couple of sips before handing him the glass back. He stood up; put everything in the tray when you said:

- Thank you.

He smiled faintly at you as he replied:

- You're welcome.

- I... I know I keep saying this, but I... I am really sorry. I didn't mean to yell...

- We'll talk about this later.

He interrupted you. You looked at him, confused.

- Do you still want to talk to me?

- Always.

Your heart skipped a beat and he was gone before you could say anything.