"Do you hear me?"

After all this time, it's still you

"Taekwoon"

 

 

He tried opening his eyes when he heard your faint whispers.

 

 

"Baby, please stay with me."

 

 

He tried, he really did. His body just won't listen. It failed him. There was a piercing pain in his side. A burning pain caused by the gunshot. Am I going to die? He thought to himself. Is it time already?

 

He could feel himself getting carried into a garner but his body kept failing him. He wished he could answer your calls. What if I never wake up? Who will tell her how much I love her? Who will look after her? Who will kiss her and hold her hand? Why is my life ending now, just when I thought I couldn't be happier.

 

He wasn't aware of anything as he was on his way to the hospital, the paramedics trying to stop the bleeding on his side. He was rushed into the emergency room and soon a medical staff was doing everything they can to save his life.

 

CPR and vitals’ check went on for a while until the doctor entered the room asking for an update. "Severe dehydration, unstable breathing, lost a lot of blood on the way," one of the nurses said. She checked Taekwoon’s pulse again when the oxygen machine beeped. “He’s not breathing!” She almost yelled.

 

The doctor pushed her aside as he yelled: "Grab the paddles.” Everyone backed away at the doctor’s signal "Clear!" Compressions began but nothing seemed to happen as Taekwoon’s lungs and heart refused to respond.

 

"We're losing him," the nurse yelled again. The doctor lifted his head up and his gaze was fixed on the monitor. He then looked at the erratic spikes and valleys in the lines on the screen, heard its unrhythmic beeping.

The doctor then shouted again "Clear!" and saw Taekwoon's body arch off the bed. He looked at the nurse slowly squeezing air into Taekwoon's lungs. "Clear!" he shouted again.

 

 

For a second, Taekwoon thought this was all a dream. He was sleeping in his bed with you by his side. He looked at you as you rested your head on his chest and he couldn't help but smile. It was a smile he had waited so long for, a content smile. To know that you were finally here in his arms was everything that mattered to him. To be able to ruffle your hair and giggle as you push his hand away was the reason his life would take a different turn. He was no longer lonely nor miserable. He was happy. Taekwoon was happy and you loved him and nothing else mattered. 

 

 

"We have sinus rhythm. Doctor," a nurse said from near Taekwoon's side. The monitor was pleading in normal time, with regular patterns in the lines on the screen.

 

 

Taekwoon's heart pounded in his chest. He can't lose you now, not when he could finally hold you in his arms and kiss your lips. No. He can't just go. He won't go.

 

 

"He's back."