Breakup

After all this time, it's still you

You heard the key turn in the door. You let out a sigh thinking it was your father coming back to yell at you again. You were growing tired and anxious for the past three days that every time you heard any noise outside your room you hoped it was Nana or Hakyeon coming to let you out only to find that it was either the maid or your father.

You waited until the door was open and prepared yourself to hear your father's upsetting words. When you heard Hakyeon's voice calling your name you darted your gaze in his direction and jumped in surprise when you saw him closing the door behind him. You gawked at him as he rested his back on the door and tried to catch his breath. Once he lifted his head up and looked at you, you asked with trembling lips:

"Where have you been all this time?"

He looked at you apologetically. Your eyes were getting teary as he walked in your direction and held you in his arms. He let you sob in his chest as he your back.

"What took you so long? I've been here for three days!"

You said between your sobs. His felt his heart shatter to pieces with every sob you let out. Knowing he was here only to add to your miseries didn't make him feel any better.

"I'm sorry. The bodyguard are everywhere. I can't go to my room without feeling their piercing glares at the back of my head. I had to figure out a way to get in here without getting caught."

He patted your back until you calmed down. You pulled away and he looked at you and gasped in shock when he noticed the cut on your lower lip and the circles under your eyes. He let his finger brush your cheek softly as he said:

"Why don't you just listen to your father and break up with Taekwoon? I can't see you like this."

You cried again.

"Hakyeon, I love him! Why is everyone again us? Why is my father so mad about me and Taekwoon being together? I don't understand!"

"I told you all about it. I told you they'll never see him as anything but a servant. I told you your social status doesn't allow you to be in a relationship with someone like him."

"I don't care about any of this. Hakyeon... I've never felt so much love in my life like I do with him. Do you understand me? He makes me feel... He makes me feel complete. When I'm with him I feel like a different person, someone who is worth the love he's been holding all this time! And I love him. I love him so much and I can't imagine my life without him."

He remained silent, averting his eyes away from you as his heart clenched with every word you said. He knew what your father has planned and he could feel a piercing pain in his heart for not being able to tell you the truth.

"I need you to help me."

You said and he lifted his head up and looked at you.

"I need to see him. He must be worried about me. I haven't spoken to him for three days. Hakyeon, please!"

You cried and he hugged you again, trying to calm you down and hide the guilt on his face. He remembered your father's threats, so he said:

"I'll help you. I will take you to him."

You pulled out and looked at him, your vision blurry with tears:

"Are you serious?"

He cupped your face, letting his thumb brush your tears away.

"Yes. How about tomorrow?"

"Can't we go now?"

He took a deep breath and then said:

"We'll go tomorrow. I have to make sure your father isn't home before trying to make the guards leave. But you have to act normal. Don't let anyone suspect anything and try to eat your food. Don't starve yourself, please. I'll come back tomorrow at the same time."

You nodded and he kissed your temple before leaving your room.

 

 

 

When he left, you sat down on the edge of the bed thinking that you will finally be able to leave your room and see Taekwoon. Remembering what your face looked like at this point, you stood up again and walked toward the mirror. You traced the circles under your eyes and sighed. You went back to sit on your bed and reached for the tray of food.

"I can't let him see me like this."

You decided to eat, hoping your face would look better by tomorrow. You weren't planning to tell Taekwoon about what happened. You didn't want him to feel guilty about it. It wasn't his fault you were in love with him. It wasn't anybody's fault. As you ate, you thought of what he said last time you saw him. He wanted to run away with you, to take you away and live happily with you by his side. You remembered how you disliked the idea of leaving your family behind. You lived most of your life away from them, and to be back living among them was something you looked forward to. But now, after what your father has done to you, running away with Taekwoon sounded like the only solution for your dilemma.

 

You spent the night with the thoughts of running away with Taekwoon keeping your eyes open and your heart pounding in your chest. You knew he'd be thrilled to know that you were finally going to comply with his wish and live with him, making his dreams come true.

 

 

You woke up early the next morning, took a shower and dried your hair as you waited for the maid to get you your breakfast. As soon as she closed the door behind her, you reached for the tray and ate in silence, waiting for Hakyeon to come and take you out. An hour later, you were getting dressed when he opened the door. You put your jacket on and asked him:

"Are they outside?"

"No. We'll go to my room first in case they come back."

You hesitated for a second before following him outside of your room and directly into his.

"We'll use the back door. I need you to be very quick."

You nodded and he opened the door of his room and your were both running downstairs. You found your way out of the backdoor and into his car within a couple of minutes. You sat down in his car, panting as he looked at you and said:

"Shall we go?"

"Yes."

 

 

Your father watched you as you got in Hakyeon's car before picking up the phone. He dialed Taekwoon's number and waited for him to answer.

"Hello?"

"She's on her way to you now. Do as we said unless you want to see her leave this place forever."

"I will."

Taekwoon whispered and your father said:

"Good."

He hung up and put the phone away. He took a deep breath as he sat down on the chair in his study room. He reached for one of the frames on his desk holding a picture of your mother and you. He kissed it and looked at it for a few seconds before whispering to himself:

"The father took the love of my life, and now his son is after my daughter. I will not allow him to ruin my life again."

He put the frame back as he headed outside his study room, waiting for you to come back.

 

 

 

Hakyeon pulled over in front of Taekwoon's building and then turned to look at you. He gave you a faint smile as he said:

"Should I wait for you?"

You thought for a second. You remembered that you didn't have your phone so you said:

"How about you come back in an hour or so?"

He nodded.

"Sure."

"Okay then. I'll go now."

"Take care!"

"I will. Thank you!"

He watched you as you entered the building before letting out a sigh. He hated himself for being a part of this devious plan and he prayed that you won't be in so much pain when this is over.

 

You ran upstairs to Taekwoon's room, your heart pounding and your face breaking into a happy grin. Wonsik opened the door for you and was surprised for a second to see you standing there in front of him. He couldn't miss that tiny little thing on your face, which he had never seen before. You let yourself in very eagerly as you asked him:

"Where is Taekwoon?"

"He's in the bathroom. He'll be out in a minute."

He then touched your face, turning it in his direction before letting his thumb brush the ugly addition to your pretty face. You flinched.

"Who did this to you?"

You looked at him, his hand still on your face as you said:

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Are you sure?"

He asked as he looked into your eyes and you averted yours away from him and said:

"Yes."

"You know you can talk to me anytime."

He said as he lifted your head up, forcing you to look at him. You nodded and he smiled at you. You heard Taekwoon clearing his throat, standing in his room as he looked at you and Wonsik with an unreadable expression on his face. You ran in his direction and wrapped your arms around his middle, burying your face in his chest.

"I'll go now. The food is in the kitchen, he didn't eat anything yet."

Wonsik said before leaving the apartment and closing the door behind him. You snuggled up to Taekwoon's neck, inhaling his scent as you said:

"I missed you so much!"

You suddenly realized that he didn't move. He didn't lean into your touch nor did he wrap his arms around you. You pulled out slowly as you looked at him and it surprised you that he wasn't even smiling. He looked at you and touched your lip gently before asking:

"What happened?"

Your heart sunk when his eyes were avoiding yours.

"Ah! Don't worry about it. How have you been? I missed you so much!"

He ignored your question as he walked past you and sat down on the couch, still not looking at you.

"Where have you been all this time?"

He asked coldly and you walked toward the kitchen, pretending you didn't hear him as you checked the food Wonsik had made. You grabbed a plate and started serving food when he almost yelled:

"Answer me!"

You walked back to where he was sitting and put the plate in front of him on the coffee table before turning to him and saying:

"I... I was busy with some family issues. I... lost my phone so I couldn't call and I couldn't recall your number to tell you that I might not be able to come. I'm sorry."

He glanced at you as he said:

"Family issues?"

You swallowed hard before saying:

"Taekwoon I... I thought about what you said last time. Let's do it."

You looked at him and he still had the same expression on his face. You thought he'd be thrilled to know that you were willing to go along with his suggestion, but he seemed like he didn't hear you.

"Taekwoon... did you change your mind?"

He took a deep breath before saying:

"Let's stop seeing each other."

Your heart sunk as you stared at him in disbelief. This is a joke, it has to be a joke.

"Taekwoon... I... are you serious?"

Your lips were trembling as tears welled up in your eyes. He bit his lower lip as he said:

"This thing is not going to work. We come from two different worlds and I don't think this should continue any further."

You stood up looking at him with tears in your eyes while he was stared at the floor under his feet.

"Not going to work? Taekwoon I love you! And... And you said you loved me too. Last time you said you couldn't live without me! What happened? I'm sorry I was away but I couldn't do anything about it. I was forced not to leave the house but I came as soon as I could!"

He grabbed the plate of food and threw it across the room, shattering it to pieces. Your body shivered in fear. He stood up stared at you as he yelled:

"I lied. Everything I said was a lie. I did this to avenge myself from you and from your family. I never loved you."

"Taekwoon... "

You were sobbing, unable to comprehend anything of what he said.

"You were stupid enough to believe me. I hate you and your despicable family. I hate you all. You were too easy to fool and I had to avenge myself and my parents."

You collapsed on the couch as you stared at him in shock. Tears were running freely down your cheek and your heart was pounding in your chest. You placed your hand on your heart as you sobbed uncontrollably. This can't be happeneing.

"How could you do this to me?"

You yelled between your sobs. You heard a light knock on the door before seeing Solji enter the apartment. You wiped your tears away, not wanting to look weak in front of her. She looked at you and then gasped when she noticed the plate shattered across the floor. Running in Taekwoon's direction and taking him in her arms, she asked:

"What happened? Did you get hurt?"

He her hair and back before leaning in and kissing the top of her head. You felt blood boil in your veins as you yelled:

"Taekwoon!"

She turned around and looked at you before asking:

"Did you tell her?"

"I did. You won't have to see her anymore."

His voice suddenly became soft as he spoke to her. Turning to look at you, the frown was back on his face as he yelled:

"Why are you still here? Get out!"

"Taekwoon please."

You cried as you clung to his arm. He was standing with his back to you and Solji standing in front of him. You tugged at his arm as you cried for him to turn around and look at you. He gave Solji's shoulder a gentle nudge and she moved out of the way as he slowly turned around to look at you.

"Just leave."

You were crying bitterly as you tugged at his shirt. He pushed your hand away and you whimpered.

"Please."

You stared at him as you let it all sunk in. He lied to me? Was it all a lie to avenge himself like he said? Didn't Hakyeon tell me he has gone through a lot for liking me? Does it make sense? At that moment, it made sense. He lured you in to avenge himself. He had to make you pay back for all the years he spent serving your family after losing his.

"I wish I never remembered you."

You said, your voice shaking and your heart ripping to pieces. He turned around and looked at you but you were gone. You left his apartment and closed the door behind you.

 

"Did she leave?"

Taekwoon asked with a shaking voice as he sat on the couch, his head between his hands, hot tears rolling down his face. Solji looked at him apologetically before looking out of the window and seeing you walking aimlessly.

"Yes."

His cries were heart-wrenching and his sniffles were making her tear up as she sat down next to him, patting his back gently.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Please forgive me."

 

 

 

 

You walked aimlessly as your tears continued to roll down your face. You didn't bother wipe them away or look ahead of you as you walked until you heard someone calling your name. You turned around thinking it was Taekwoon, but you saw Hakyeon in his car. He pulled over and got out of the car and ran in your direction. You stopped walking and looked at him.

"What happened?"

"Take me home please."

 

 

The drive home was silent as you were gazing out of the window, your tears never ceasing. He pulled over in front of the house and you got out of the car immediately and walked inside the house. As soon as your father saw you walking inside the house he called your name and walked up to you. You lowered your head not wanting to look at him as he said:

"Where have you been?"

You remained silent so he grabbed your arm and asked again:

"Did you... did you go to that boy?"

You lifted your head slowly and his eyes widened when he saw the tears running down your face.

"He broke up with me. He doesn't want to see me anymore."

You said as you lowered your head again. He took you in his arms and patted your back as you whimpered in his arms. He your hair as he said:

"I told you he's not worth it. Don't cry over him. I'm here for you."

You pulled out slowly and said:

"I'm sorry. I was stupid."

He cupped your face and kissed your temple before saying:

"It's okay now. Everything will be fine."

You nodded and then said:

"I need to go to my room. I am tired."

 

 

You climbed the stairs toward your room, pulling your legs behind you, not aware of your surroundings. Nana called your name as you passed by her, but you didn't hear her. You entered your room, closed the door behind you and stood still for a couple of seconds, still looking down at the floor. You leaned against the door and let your body slide down as silent tears flew freely down your cheeks. You pulled your knees up to your chest and put your head down as you wept for what felt like forever. Everything was a lie.

 

 

 

You haven't left your room in four days, spending your day mostly crying, spacing out occasionally, and sometimes eating with no appetite. You ate solely because your father begged you to and because Nana cried when she saw your hollow cheeks and pale face. You didn't want to cause them any further pain. They've been through a lot because of me, you'd think to yourself every time you saw the pain in their eyes upon seeing you suffer. On the fifth day, you woke up earlier than usual. Your phone was ringing on the night stand next to your bed. You sat down in bed, avoiding looking at it but it didn't stop ringing. You reached for it and picked up without looking at the name on the screen. Your heart clenched when you thought it was Taekwoon. You heard Hongbin's worried voice asking you if you were okay and tears were back into your eyes again. All he could hear was your sniffles and his worries intensified as he kept asking if you were okay.

An hour later you opened your door and let Hongbin in before closing the door again. You sat down on the edge of your bed and he pulled the chair closer to you, sitting in front of you before asking:

"What happened?"

"Taekwoon broke up with me."

"What? Why? Wonsik said he left you at his place last week! When did that happen? Is this why you haven't been answering your phone?"

He bombarded you with questions and all you could do was sob and sniffle. He stood up and sat down next to you and carefully placed his arm on your shoulder. He pulled you gently into his hold and your cries intensified.

"What's wrong? Talk to me."

"He kicked me out. He kissed her in front of me and said everything he ever told me was a lie."

You let out a wail as more tears rolled down your face.

"What? Why did he do that?"

"I don't know, I don't know."

He hugged you and patted your back as you wept in his chest. You sat next to each other, neither of you saying anything. You had stopped crying but your heart was in so much pain. You were still unable to believe what he'd done, what he'd said until you told Hongbin. Telling him of what happened and recalling every second of it somehow made it feel more real.

"I'll go talk to him."

You looked at Hongbin as he stood up and walked toward the door.

"No. Don't bother."

You said weakly.

"Why?"

"I'll get over it. I just need time."

"But you love him and he loves you."

"He doesn't. Everything he said was a lie."

You almost yelled. He sighed and put his hand on your shoulder.

"Let's go out together, shall we? Just you, me and Wonsik? Hakyeon too if you want."

"I don't know..."

You mumbled. The last thing you wanted was going out and running into him. This was the only reason you hadn't left your room in almost a week. You were afraid you'd run into him and break into tears in public.

"Come on. Hakyeon told me you haven't left your room in a while. We'll go out for lunch or something. Please?"

You looked up at him and gave him a faint smile, knowing he was suggesting this to help bring you out of this mood.

"I'm not sure. I'll think about it."

"Think quickly so I can make reservations."

You nodded. He gave you another pat on the back and left after asking you to take a good care of yourself.

 

 

 

You were now alone in your room, staring at the floor while thinking of all the 'lies' Taekwoon had told you. Tears rolled down your face again but you wiped them away quickly, not wanting to shed more tears over him. If everything he said was a lie then you'd waste no time crying over it. He got what he deserved, and so did you. Getting shot instead of me was the least he could go through for breaking my heart, you thought to yourself. Your heart sunk at the memory. Hating him won't be that easy. Everything around you reminded you of him. His scent lingered on your skin, his voice still rang in your ears, and his presence surrounded your whole being. You knew you'll see him all around this house. In the kitchen, in the living room, even in your room. You'll see him walk into your room, leave the tray on the night stand and take a quick glance at you before leaving. You'll see him stare at you from across the living room with a shy smile on his face. You'll see him waiting for you at the kitchen table with a book between his hands. It won't be easy at all.

 

 

You got off your bed and walked toward your closet looking for something to wear. You found a floral dress you had picked a week after your arrival. You put it on before leaving your room and going downstairs. I will not waste another minute thinking about him, you thought to yourself. Your father almost jumped off his seat when he saw you walking into the living room. You walked up to him, kissed his cheek and sat down next to him. He looked at you for a couple of seconds before asking:

"How are you today?"

You forced a smile as you said:

"I'm fine."

You paused for a second before saying:

"I'm sorry I made you worry about me. I don't know what was wrong with me but I am over it now."

 

Your heart skipped a beat at the lie you told. No matter how hard you tried to be strong, your heart failed you. This cheerful facade was fake. You knew it was. You hated seeing your father look so worried and distressed. This was your own problem, your mistake, and you were the only one inclined to suffer. You were determined to pretend everything was fine, until you could feel it was really fine. You didn't know how long it'll take you to get over it, but you knew it wasn't going to happen any time soon. It was not only because you still loved him, but because the break up came out of nowhere. You were determined to be strong, not only for you but for people who truly loved you.

 

 

You left your father and walked toward the garden. Walking around aimlessly, your thoughts drifted back to everything related to him. All the lies he'd told you, all the fake feelings he'd confessed to you. You reached a conclusion that your loneliness and your desire to link yourself with anything from your childhood memories were the reason you were blinded by his lies. But it still hurt. It hurt because when you lay on your bed at night, you'd think of nothing but him. When you wake up in the morning hugging your pillow, his smile would pop in your head. But you were willing to do everything you can to block these images and these memories no matter how long it takes. If he hated you, then you will hate him, even if you had to rip your heart out of your chest and erase him. You'll do whatever it takes to remove Jung Taekwoon from your life.

What you didn't know was that he was hurting too. He was sobbing uncontrolably when Solji told him that you'd left. She tried comforting him but he was a sobbing mess. He cried like a baby and all she could do was pat his back gently as she sat next to him. He stopped crying after what felt like ages and apologized for getting her involved in all this.

"I just feel awfully sorry for her. Did you have to be this harsh with her?"

She said and he lowered his head as he said:

"Seeing her face made me believe what her father said. He beat her up and she starved herself when he locked her in her room. I didn't want to see her get hurt for me. I couldn't risk doing anything but what her father had told me to do. He said he'll continue locking her up and even force her to marry a man twice her age if we keep seeing each other, and I was forced to do what I did to protect her. I want her to hate me, to despise me that she would no longer want to come back to me. I did it because it was the only way to make sure she was safe and not harmed by her family because of me."

"But... haven't you considered how terrible she'd feel after what you had done? I'm sorry but I can't stop thinking about her cries and pleads."

He wept and she wrapped her arm around his shoulder as she said:

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean..."

He sniffed and lifted his head to look at her. She looked at him apologetically and he said:

"Do you promise not to ever speak to her of what we just said?"

She looked at him, puzzled, before saying:

"I promise."

He looked down as he whispered:

"Thank you."

She looked at the time and stood up as she said:

"I'm sorry but I have to go now. I'll come back later..."

"You don't have to. I've caused you enough trouble. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Call me if you need anything."

He nodded and she looked at him one more time before leaving. It broke her heart to see him like this and it only made her wonder if you were going through the same pain. She wished she could do anything to help you, but the situation seemed too complicated, it had her only hoping for better days to come.