It's (not) Over

After all this time, it's still you

Meeting Yoongi and his family wasn't as unpleasant as you thought it would be. His mother was a nice, elegant lady with a lot of interesting opinions on several social and political issues. His father reminded you of your own father, and it only made you wonder if your father was ever this sweet to your mother. Yoongi's father would ask his wife what she wanted to drink when the maids served drinks and he'd hand her the glass himself. When they were having dinner, he constantly asked her if everything was fine, if she wanted him to pass her the salt or if she wanted a piece of his chicken . She didn't seem to bother all the questions, probably from being used to his endearing care for the past 26 years or so. She seemed delighted to receive his attention. Even when talking with your father, he'd take glances at her and she'd smile back at him as she sipped her drink.

Yoongi on the other hand, didn't stop staring at you. His stares weren't annoying or flirty. It was as if he was trying to figure you out since you hadn't said much during the whole meeting. He moved to sit next to you after dinner, trying to start a conversation with you. He was fun with a bubbly personality, always cracking jokes and making you laugh. You tried to enjoy your time with him, not wanting to look cold or distant with all the effort he was making to talk to you, so when he invited you over dinner this coming weekend you had to say yes. Not only because he was overly nice to you, but because your father was there and the stare he sent your way somehow forced you to say yes. A part of you was also hoping that it would help you move on and get over your heart break.

But that was not an easy task when your heart and mind were still shackled. The second you saw Yoongi, your mind was immediately comparing everything about him with Taekwoon. He was nothing like Taekwoon. He was shorter, bubblier, and more talkative. They had somehow the same eye smile, or so you thought. Even when he was talking about himself, things he liked, his outfit, the way he ate his dinner; nothing went unnoticed. 'Taekwoon doesn't usually eat like that; he stuffs his mouth rather than take small bites. Taekwoon likes a different genre of music. Taekwoon prefers darker colors and sleeveless shirts. Taekwoon... Taekwoon... Taekwoon...' Yoongi was being very sweet and nice to you, listening intently to everything you said, and taking note of the smallest details even when you thought they weren't worth mentioning. But you were still unable to stop comparing him with Taekwoon. This was another reason behind accepting his invitation.

 

 

 

"Do you like seafood?"

Yoongi asked as he looked at the menu trying to decide what to order. He took you to one of his favorite restaurants to have lunch together. He asked you if you wanted to go to a specific place but you let him choose.

"Yes I do."

You answered and he motioned the waiter that he was ready to order. He asked you if you wanted something to drink and then handed the waiter the menu before turning to look at you. He smiled as he said:

"So, tell me something about yourself."

You hesitated for a second as you rubbed your hands together, trying to think of something to say.

"I'm not very good at talking about myself. I'd rather answer direct questions."

He giggled.

"Direct questions? This is not an interrogation. This is a date."

You swallowed hard as you looked at him before asking:

"A date? You said you wanted to hang out."

He scratched the back of his head in embarrassment as he said:

"Yeah, but... I wanted it to feel more like a date. I mean... You don't know me very well yet and I wanted to use this chance for us to know each other better, but I still wanted it to feel like a date. Does that make sense?"

Your cheeks turned bright red. You weren't sure if you could go on a date, not yet, not when you were still thinking about Taekwoon, wanting some kind of a closure to your relationship. Even though he made it very clear that he didn't want to see you or hear from you again, you still hadn't had your say it in and you were dying to. You were dying to put an end to your sleepless nights and nostalgia. Going out with Yoongi was not supposed to be called a 'date.' When he first suggested taking you out on a date you told him you weren't ready for it yet. You'd rather go out for lunch with him as a friend, a new friend you were getting to know. But he was still calling it a date and you had no idea how to deal with that.

"You can call it a date if you want to."

He looked at you with his eyes wide open before saying:

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

You nodded and he gave you a warm smile.

"You can still tell me if you don't like me enough to go on a second date with me. I won't feel offended."

You giggled and he grinned. To your surprise, you could feel your heart fluttering, which was a feeling you've missed. This was your first time going out together and nothing he did was extraordinary. He was just a sweet nice guy who likes a good laugh, but that was about it. There was nothing too special about him. Well, if you count his cute smile, the interesting stories he told, the way his eyes turn into crescents when he smiles, you couldn't deny he had his own charm. You noticed the girls sitting on the table next to you staring at him a while ago. He smiled back, but he wasn't trying to be flirty with them. He was just trying to let them know he was with you. Almost everything about him was interesting, but at the end of the day, when you laid on your bed after your 'date' and stared at the ceiling for a while, he wasn't Taekwoon. He sent you a good night message but it didn't feel very special.

'I hope you had a good time today. I know I did. Thank you! Have a good night'

Nothing special...

Taekwoon would have called. He would have said something like "I couldn't sleep without hearing your voice." He would have talked to you until you could no longer keep your eyes open. He would have...

Tears rolled down the sides of your face and your heart clenched when you remembered the last time you saw him. It was all a lie. You grabbed your phone and flipped through your chat log with him.

 

"I love you."

"I miss you."

"When will I see you?"

"I can't wait to see you."

"My day doesn't feel the same without you."

"I wish I never left."

 

Lies.

 

Select all

Delete

 

 

 

 

 

Hongbin knocked on Taekwoon's door and the latter walked up to the door, still limping a bit, and opened it, letting Hongbin and Wonsik in. He was thankful they didn't hate him or stop visiting him after knowing what had happened. They visited him three or four times a week, sometimes together and sometimes Wonsik came alone to make him something to eat. When they all gathered at his apartment, they chatted or played games. They kept him updated on whatever was going on with you, assuring him that you were getting better. He was thankful they were looking after you and after him as well. They proved to be such good friends, and he appreciated everything they were doing for both of you.

But he was still unable to go out with them. He used his studies and work as an excuse because he was afraid they'd surprise him by asking you out at the same time. They mentioned it several times that they wanted to help the two of you clear up the misunderstanding and go back together. A part of him wished they'd do. Getting them involved would definitely make things easier for him. But he was still scared. He didn't know what you're father was capable of. What if he finds out? He could hurt you again, he could send you away, he could do anything to prevent this from happening.

 

 

 

They were done eating when Hongbin's phone started ringing. Your name appeared on his screen and he looked at Taekwoon before asking:

"Do you want to hear her voice?"

Taekwoon almost chocked on his drink, nodding vigorously as he cleared his throat and said:

"Is it okay?"

Hongbin exchanged looks with Wonsik who gave him an approving nod.

"I'll put her on speaker."

He said as he picked up. Before you could say anything he said:

"Hey! Listen I'm with Wonsik, I'll put you on speaker."

"Okay!"

As soon as he did, Wonsik called your name cutely and you giggled. Hongbin couldn't miss the expression on Taekwoon's face. His ears were bright red and his eyes were sparkling. He moved a bit closer to the phone and a smile formed on his lips when you asked:

"How are you?"

"We're fine. What about you?"

You let out a sigh as you lay on your bed and then said:

"I'm exhausted. Do you remember the guy I told you about? Yoongi? He took me out on a date today and now I'm just lying on my bed, drained."

Wonsik's face changed and his eyes widened in shock. He didn't expect you to say anything about Yoongi. You had already told them about having dinner with Yoongi and his parents but they didn't know about the date until now. Wonsik looked at Taekwoon in concern to find him biting his lower lip, trying to prevent a tear from escaping. Hongbin was still silent, regretting having made such a suggestion.

"Are you there?"

You asked when they both were silent for a couple of seconds.

"Y... yes."

"You know what? I don't really like him. He's nice and all, but... "

You paused for a second and Wonsik was face-palming himself, nudging Hongbin to turn the speaker off, but the latter was paralyzed, unable to do anything.

"I still think of Taekwoon... all day long."

Taekwoon clenched his fists, trying to prevent a grunt from escaping. He got from his seat and ran into the bathroom, locking the door behind him. As soon as he did, he let his tears run freely down his cheeks.

Wonsik looked at Hongbin when they both heard Taekwoon's muffled sobs coming from the bathroom. Hongbin put the speaker off and then asked:

"Do you miss him?"

You remained silent for a second. Why were you suddenly talking about Taekwoon? This was embarrassing, and knowing that your answer would definitely be yes was more embarrassing. You were just telling him about your date with Yoongi when you suddenly started talking about Taekwoon...

"S... sometimes I feel like I miss him, but... when I remember what he did to me I hate myself. I hate being so week. I... I really need to put an end to this. Maybe I'll be able to move on if I do."

"I wish I could help."

He sighed when he saw Wonsik follow Taekwoon and try to talk to him from behind the door. An idea suddenly popped in his head and he said, whispering:

"Listen. This coming Saturday is Wonsik's birthday. I'm throwing a surprise party for him, but it's going to be only the three of us. Do you think you can come?"

You smiled to yourself before saying:

"I think I can. Thank you."

"You're welcome. I'll call you later to discuss the details. He's back."

 

 

As soon as you hung up, Wonsik called Taekwoon to come out of the bathroom. It took him a couple of minutes to do so and they could hear water running, indicating that he was washing his face. When he came out, his eyes were puffy and his face was red. He broke down when he heard you were already out on a date and he couldn't hold it in when he knew you still thought of him after everything he'd done to you. He didn't stop cursing himself and smashing things around his apartment as he repeated:

"Why... why?"

Wonsik took a hold of him, forcing him to sit down on the couch.

"It's over now. Stop doing this to yourself and get over it."

He was a sobbing mess, and it broke their hearts to see him like this. They could only sympathize with him and wish they could do something to end your miseries.

"I wish she never came back. Maybe... maybe if I hadn't forced myself into her we wouldn't be in so much pain."

Hongbin patted his back while Wonsik tried cleaning around. When they were ready to leave, Taekwoon hugged Hongbin for a few seconds and the younger patted his back gently.

"Thank you."

He whispered. Hongbin looked at Wonsik, Taekwoon still in his arms, and asked him to go ahead and wait in the car. As soon as Wonsik left, Hongbin pulled out of the hug and said:

"This Saturday is Wonsik's birthday. I'm throwing a surprise party for him, but it's going to be only the three of us. Do you think you can come?"

Taekwoon was looking down, tears almost drying on his face. He looked at Hongbin who gave him a warm smile as he said:

"It'll be fun I promise."

Taekwoon smiled faintly as he said:

"I'll try, but thank you."

 

 

 

On the way home, Hongbin discussed his plan with Wonsik. He wanted to give you a chance to meet one last time before you could call it the end.

"But what if she doesn't want to see him?"

Wonsik asked in concern. Yes, you still thought of Taekwoon, but he was sure half those thoughts weren't pleasant, considering how harsh the break up was.

"She said she needed a closure. If a closure will make her stop thinking about him and make him feel less guilty about it, then I'll give them one."

 

 

 

You sighed as you looked through your closet, trying to find something to wear. Your heart skipped a beat when your eyes landed on the sweater Taekwoon gave you the night before leaving the house. You hesitated for a second before reaching for it with shaking hands. You grabbed it and immediately brought it near your face pressing it against your nose and inhaling Taekwoon's scent. You closed your eyes and a flow of memories engulfed your being, causing your heart to pound in your chest and a tear to roll down your cheek.

When you opened your eyes and looked at the sweater, the only thing left was the pain he had caused you. You threw the sweater away before looking through the shelves for a plastic bag. You put the sweater inside the bag and decided to return it to its owner. I no longer need this, you thought to yourself before going back to finding something to wear for your date with Yoongi.

Yoongi made you promise to go out on another date with him, since you were feeling, and acting, slightly awkward during the first one. You merely agreed because he was overly nice and sweet to you and you hated rejecting his invitation. He asked you if he could pick you up, using the chance to say hello to Nana and your father and you agreed.

You picked up a dress, put it on, took a final look at yourself in the mirror and left your room. You made a mental note to buy Wonsik a gift since you were going to his surprise birthday party on Saturday. You weren't sure what to buy him so you thought you could ask Yoongi. It sounded like a ridiculous idea, because you weren't sure how he'd feel about you having guy friends. Taekwoon didn't like it until you explained the situation, and you weren't willing to share your personal relationships with Yoongi yet.

Thinking of Taekwoon again, you looked at the plastic bag in your hand and tucked the sweater in, not wanting Nana or your father to see it. You walked into the living room and greeted Nana when your phone started ringing.

You picked up when you saw Yoongi's name on the screen and figured he might be arriving soon.

"Hello."

You said.

"Good morning. How are you today?"

"I'm fine, and you?"

"I'm fine too, I guess."

He paused for a second and then said:

"Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"I need 5 more minutes. Is Nana at home?"

"Yes. Do you want to come in and say hi?"

"If that's okay."

"Sure."

You looked at Nana and then said:

"Yoongi is taking me out but he wants to come say hi to you, is that okay?"

"Yes yes. Tell him to come in and have tea with me before you go out together."

 

 

Ten minutes later Yoongi was sitting with Nana sipping his tea and listening to her stories about you. Your cheeks were red and he took quick glances at you, smiling at your embarrassed expressions. She told him about your childhood, and how whiney you used to be and he laughed for a long time when you frowned. You looked at him as he listened intently to everything Nana said before excusing himself and standing up, getting ready to leave. Nana grabbed his hand and asked when she saw you standing up with him:

"What do you think of her?"

She said as she looked at you. Your ears turned red and he blushed heavily as he answered:

"She's an interesting person but we haven't had the chance to get to know each other well yet."

You liked his straight-forward answer and giggled when you saw the disappointed expression on Nana's face.

"Interesting?"

She exclaimed and he scratched his head in embarrassment.

"It's not like we've known each other all our lives."

You interfered and she looked at you as you bit your lower lip when you instantly remembered Taekwoon. It's not like he knew you all your life, but he knew you long enough to love you without expecting you to love him back or even acknowledge him. Upon noticing the nervousness showing on your face, Nana said:

"It's time for my medicine. You go and have fun, okay?"

She left as she called one of the maids to get her pills and Yoongi looked at you before saying:

"Are you okay?"

You faked a smile as you said:

"Yes. Shall we go?"

He smiled back as he nodded and walked you toward his car.

 

 

 

"Is it okay if you drop me at my friend's house for 5 minutes? I need to give her this."

You asked Yoongi and showed him the bag. He nodded and asked for the location before driving you toward Taekwoon's apartment.

 

 

 

 

"I'm taking you out for lunch and I won't take no for an answer."

Solji said as she stood in Taekwoon's living room. She had tried taking him out several times but he'd reject her invitations saying he'd rather study or just stay at home. Today, after almost a month and a half, she was done. She hated seeing him look so depressed and not being able to do anything about it. She stayed by his side even when an hour or more would pass without him saying a word, but she kept trying to get him to say anything even after failing over and over again. Today was different. She had told him last night that she was taking him out and again he said no, but she had other plans. She went up to his apartment and refused to leave unless he came along.

"I'm not going home until you get dressed and come with me."

"Solji please, I don't feel like going anywhere."

"I am not listening. Go change and I'll wait here."

"Come on."

"I'm waiting."

Taekwoon was stubborn, but Solji was worse. They were too similar, which is why they liked being around each other. He was like a sister to him, and has been there for him all the time, even before your return. He had told her about you and she'd listen to him speak of you endlessly without complaining. He was also there for her when she broke up with her previous boyfriend and when she'd complain about her current boyfriend too. They studied together and helped each other work on presentations or assignments. He appreciated everything she was doing for him, so this time he said yes.

 

 

 

 

Yoongi pulled over Taekwoon's apartment building and looked at it for a second before saying:

"I'll wait here. Take your time."

"I won't take long. I'll just give her this and come back."

"No problem."

He said with a smile.

"Thank you."

 

You got off the car and climbed the stairs toward Taekwoon's apartment. Your heart was pounding in your chest and you were afraid you'd run into him. When you reached his apartment, you took a deep breath before putting the bag in front of his door. I'll just leave it here, you thought to yourself. You suddenly heard noise coming from inside the apartment. The noise was getting closer and you could clearly hear Taekwoon's voice. You swallowed hard as you looked around the place for a corner to hide. The key turned and you ran toward a cupboard near the stairway and hid behind it. You placed your hand on your chest, trying to calm the beating of your heart when the door was open.

Taekwoon froze in his place when he noticed the bag resting at his door step. He picked it up and looked through it for a second when Solji asked:

"What is this?"

You bit your lower lip when you recognized Solji's voice. They're coming out of his apartment, you thought to yourself as you struggled to prevent yourself from exposing your hideout and yelling at him for being such a jerk.

"I... I don't know. I'll look at it later. Let's go."

He put the bag inside his apartment and locked the door as he went downstairs with Solji. You waited until you could no longer hear their footsteps before leaving your hideout, wiping your tears away and going downstairs to where Yoongi was waiting.

 

It's over.

 

 

 

 

"Do you like it?"

Yoongi asked and you nodded. You ate while listening to him speak about his work and how much he enjoyed doing what he does. He worked in the Public Relations department and you thought it suits him well. He asked you about your favorite food, color, animal as he tried to learn more about you. You asked him questions too, about many things which you realized were things Taekwoon did. You asked him if he liked puppies, because Taekwoon adores them. You asked him if he liked coffee, because Taekwoon was addicted to it. You asked him if he likes swimming, because Taekwoon did. His answers weren't important. It didn't matter if he didn't like puppies, thought coffee was too bitter or hated swimming. But you had to ask him these questions, as the comparison between him and Taekwoon was still ongoing.

 

When you were done eating, you excused yourself and went to the lady's room to wash and fix your hair and makeup. As soon as you entered, you saw a girl taking a look at herself in the mirror. She looked familiar but you didn't want to look weird staring at her. You took your toothbrush out and started brushing your teeth when you noticed her looking at your reflection. You paused for a second and then you could feel your heart drop when you recognized her. It was none other than Solji. You averted your gaze as you finished brushing, put your toothbrush back and headed out of the bathroom. Your heart was beating fast. You scanned the people sitting for Taekwoon. You knew they were here together. You froze in your place when you saw him sitting at the table across from yours, looking at his phone until she returned and took her seat facing his. You slowly headed back to where Yoongi was sitting, waiting for you. You tried to avoid looking at Taekwoon on your way back. A part of you wished he'd see you with Yoongi. You wanted him to feel the same pain.

"Are you okay?"

Yoongi asked upon seeing your red cheeks. You looked at him for a few seconds before saying:

"I'm fine. I just ran into someone and got a little bit flustered."

"Is he someone you used to like?"

He asked. You faked a smile.

"It's a she. An old friend."

He let out a relieved 'ah' and then said:

"Do you want to have some coffee? There is a coffee shop around the corner I think."

"Sure!"

 

 

 

You walked toward the coffee shop after you told him you wanted to have a walk instead of going by car since the coffee shop was 5 minutes away from the restaurant. You walked next to him as he talked about how he was in love with a girl when he was in college but was forced to break up with her for some reason that you somehow missed. He didn't go into details but you felt a bit annoyed, having him talk about his previous relationships when you weren't allowed to do the same. Nana and your father had warned you against telling Yoongi about your relationship with Taekwoon, and you were forced to comply.

 

Yoongin entered the coffee shop and you followed. The line was slightly long and the place was packed. He looked at you before saying:

"Do you want to sit down or should we grab the coffee and go for a walk?"

"I'd rather go for a walk."

"As you like."

He smiled at you and you smiled back. A few seconds later you nudged his shoulder and he turned around to look at you.

"Is it okay if I wait outside? It's too crowded."

"No. It's okay. What do you want to drink?"

"I'll have a latte. Thank you."

You waved at him on your way out. Turning around, you accidently ran into the person in front of you. You apologized for walking so carelessly and looked up at the person standing in front of you. Taekwoon looked down at you and your heart skipped a beat. You swallowed hard and continued to stare at him for what felt like forever, hundreds of thoughts floating in your head. Your eyes roamed his face and landed on his lips. Remembering how those lips felt on your sent shivers down your spine. No matter how many times you tried convincing yourself that it was over, your heart screamed back that it still wanted him, it still longed for him. Your body still screamed his name and your bones cried for his return. You had to beat yourself up and force your heart to get over him. He's not coming back.

He was staring back at you, his heart pounding in his chest. He bit his lower lip when he saw sadness lingering around the corners of your eyes and wished he could kneel in front of you and ask you to forgive him. He wished he could take you in his arms, kiss your lips, hug you tightly until your bodies became one.

 

Solji tugged at his sleeve before noticing that you were standing in front of him. He slowly turned around to look at her. When he turned back to look at you, you lowered your gaze and moved out of the way as you said:

"Excuse me."

He moved out of the way as he whispered:

"I'm sorry."

He looked at you as you walked out of the coffee shop and waited outside for Yoongi. He then saw Yoongi leave the coffee shop with two paper cups, handing you one and sipping the other as he walked by your side. He followed you with his eyes until you disappeared behind the corner, and for a second it felt like you took his heart with you.