Nine

Pitiful Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Just over a week had gone by since I fractured my elbow and I hadn’t spoken to Yongguk much. We had exchanged the odd few words in class but despite that no actually conversations had taken place. I had told my friends about the stalker due to the fact that there was a chance that they would eventually become involved like Yongguk had. I didn’t want them to get involved and get hurt, I wanted them to be safe and aware of what was going on.

 

“I can’t believe you’ve been going through all that and we didn’t even know.” Hyosung spoke, shocked by everything that the stranger had done.

“And you don’t know who it is?” Sunhwa questioned but all I could do was shake my head.

“No.” I simply replied and the mood of our conversation was dark as they were all deep in thought about the stranger. “Let’s change the subject now, I’ve had enough of him ruining my life, I don’t need him ruining my friendship time too.” I forced a smile and my friends put on smiles to play along.

 

In class after the lunch break, Yongguk sat beside me once more but I didn’t say anything. I felt his arm around the back of my chair and his fingers lightly rested on my shoulder.

“JiEun, I know we haven’t spoken a lot recently, but I wanted to ask you something.” Yongguk started and I felt a slight panic inside as I anticipated what he would say. “Would you go out with me this weekend?” The words left his mouth and I froze for a moment. Why did he feel like now was the time to ask me? I knew that we had been close because of the stalker, but did that mean I wanted to be with him? I bit my lip as I tried to think of a reply that wouldn’t hurt him too much. I knew somewhere deep inside of me I still had feelings for him, but how could I agree when I wasn’t sure that he had truly changed?

“I don’t think that would be a good idea.” I started and i noticed his expression fall slightly. “It’s just that, I don’t think it’s a good time right now, with the stalker and everything.” I tried to explain, but it seemed as though he closed himself off after I rejected him. He just nodded and looked towards the front of class, saying no more about it. I felt awful about saying ‘No’, but I just felt it was the right thing to do at that moment in time.

 

A few nights later, there was dreadful storm and as I got into bed I felt at ease. I was sure that there was no way the stalker would be around in that weather. The rain pelted down from the dark sky and hit against my window as loud as hailstones. I wrapped myself up in my warm blankets and sighed, feeling conte

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter