Ten

Pitiful Hope
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

+ + Yongguk’s P.O.V + +

There was commotion in the school that morning; frequent whispers and a small crowd around one corridor of the school. I stepped into the busy corridor and that’s when I noticed that everyone was staring at JiEun as she frantically tore down pictures that were pasted on the walls and the lockers. There was a strong look of distress on her features as she grabbed the photos. I pushed past the crowd, as they just looked on at her and I walked up to where she was. I reached out and grabbed her wrist securely to stop her. I turned her to look at me and our eyes connected, it was only then that I fully realised how much my plan had hurt her. Guilt filled me inside and I pulled her into my arms. My eyes connected with Zelo who was in the crowd and I just nodded to him, signalling him to him the end of any future plans. I had never meant to hurt JiEun that much, I thought I’d scare her and she’d seek refuge in my arms, but it just never went exactly as I thought it would! I pulled away from her as I ripped the remaining photographs off of the walls and lockers. From a few metres away I looked back in JiEun’s direction and her tears glistened on her face. I felt apologetic as I continued to maintain eye contact with her, but suddenly she turned and ran down the corridor, in the opposite direction from where I was. I sighed as I crumpled the photographs in my hands. I chucked the crumpled mess into the nearest waste bin and looked around at the students that were still gathered in the corridor.

“What are you all looking at? Go get a life!” I shouted to them in frustration and they scattered like leaves in the wind. I took a deep breath as I was left alone briefly with I came to the conclusion; it was now or never. I would get JiEun back.

 

+ + JiEun’s P.O.V + +

People whispered for days after and I felt very emotionally fragile. The stranger’s obsession had ruined my life in ways I could have never imagined. I just wanted it to be over! Yongguk had tried to comfort me, but I didn’t want to be close to anyone or let them in. Yongguk was always close by in school. He sat next to me in class, hovered near me and my friends at lunch and quietly walked with me home after school, but I never said anything to him about it because oddly enough I felt safe with him around.

One evening, we reached my house after Yongguk had walked home with me from school. I stopped outside my door and turned to him. Yongguk seemed to be thinking and went to talk, but then paused for a moment seemingly assessing his choice of words in his head. He took a step towards me and in a split second his lips were on mine; I was shocked, to say the least. I didn’t know what to do; I placed my hand on his chest and lightly pushed him away. Yongguk’s eyes met mine and he gave me a small smile, but I remained expressionless.

“JiEun, go on a date with me.” Yongguk spoke and I assumed it was meant to be more of a question than an instruction. I sighed and went to talk but he cut me off. “I know what you said last time, but after everything you’ve been through I’ve always been there for you.” He explained trying to support his case, but I shook my head. I did still have feelings for him but I couldn’t get over the note from the stranger and I didn’t want Yongguk to get any more involved in the matter than he already was.

“I can’t, Yongguk.”I spoke and looked down at my feet. He stayed silent as I turned to go into my house. Yongguk took a step towards me once more as I entered my house.

“JiEun,” He spoke my name softly. “Don’t do this.” He muttered but I just shook my head once more, even though it pained me to see the heartbroken look on his face.

“I’m sorry.” I told him before I closed my front door.

 

After dinner that evening, my parents announced that they would be attending a small cocktail party with some of their friends, which meant that I would be home alone. I wasn’t too thrilled with the idea, but I couldn’t tell them to cancel their plans because I was scared.

Once they were gone, I looked around at the empty house before I sat on the sofa and watched a movie. The film got roughly half way in when my handphone rang. I glanced at the ringing item before I stopped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter