Chapter 2

I'll always be by your side

You walked around the area for half an hour thinking of nothing but the new life ahead of you. Children passed by your side on their way to school and one of them turned and waved at you. You paused for a second before waving back with a smile on your face. The girl smiled back and then followed her friends leaving you behind, wondering why would someone smile at you for no reason? You turned around to continue walking but you bumped into something and fell to the ground. You looked up to find a face with a concerned look all over it. The guy standing in front of you reached for your hand and helped you stand up before saying: 

- I'm sorry. Are you hurt?

- No, I'm okay. I wasn't looking, I'm sorry. 

Your eyes scanned his face as he smiled and scratched the back of his head in embarrassment, your hand still in his. His sun-kissed skin, his crescent eyes and his cheeks were nothing compared to the curve of his lips. You could feel heat buildup in your body at the feeling of his hands and you coughed lightly and pulled your hands away. 

- I'm sorry. 

- It's okay. 

- Do you live here?

He asked and you looked at him in confusion. Do you live here? 

- Yes. 

- But I've never seen you around. Did you move in recently? 

Why is this happening again? 

- Yes. 

- Well, I guess I'll see you around then. 

He winked and waved at you as he walked past you and you froze in your place. What is he suggesting? What was that wink for? See you around? 

You continued walking until you were standing in front of the coffee shop. You smiled when you saw Taekwoon put the apron on before walking to the door and switching the rest of the lights on. A second later his sister came out of the kitchen, patted his back, grabbed a rag and started cleaning the tables. You knocked on the glass door lightly and his face lit up when he looked up and saw you standing outside the coffee shop. You opened the door and entered as he walked in your direction. 

- You came! 

- I promised. 

- So it's not because you missed me?

You blushed and he giggled. Of course you missed him, but you couldn't say it, not when his sister was around. She looked around and greeted you before saying: 

- Long time no see. Where have you been? 

You answered, flustered by her question: 

- I was... busy with some family issues. 

- Is everything okay now?

- Yes. Thank you! 

You then looked at Taekwoon and said: 

- I have to go now. I'll see you after work. 

- I'll wait for you. 

He pecked your cheeks and waved at you as you left the coffee shop. 

 

 

 

Time passed ever so slowly at the flower shop with you taking orders and 'learning' how to make bouquets and write cards. You tried very hard to pretend that this was your first time doing this and it made things even more boring. You waited until your shift was over and headed to the coffee shop as soon as you were done. Maybe you should have considered working at the coffee shop, at least you'd be close to Taekwoon instead of being away from him all day long only to spend an hour with him before heading 'home.' 

When you entered the coffee shop, you sat down on a table and waited for him to notice you. When he did, he whispered something to his sister and then moved from behind the counter and walked in your direction. He pulled the chair and sat down next to you before saying: 

- How was work? 

- Good. How was your day? 

- Not very good.

- Why? What happened?

- I didn't get to see you so I couldn't say my day was good. 

You blushed and he reached for your hand on the table and gave it a light squeeze before saying: 

- I really missed you! I don't understand... I mean... it feels really empty without you. 

Your heart skipped a beat at his words. You noticed how flustered he was getting, not being used to saying cheesy things like this before, but you could see how sincere he was. It felt empty without him as well. You were used to seeing him all day long, flying around him and looking after him before gaining enough courage to talk to him. Even then you were still around him almost all day long. But now, especially after what your sister said, it was difficult to be around him for more than a couple of hours a day. 

- It feels empty without you too. 

You said in a whisper and he let his thumb brush against the back of your hand before saying: 

- Shall we go buy you a cell phone then? Maybe it'll feel less empty if we can talk while you're away? 

You smiled and nodded. He stood up, his hand still holding yours as he helped you walk toward the door. He turned and announced he was leaving to whoever was behind the counter and then opened the door, let you out first and followed you. 

- Do you have any certain design in mind? 

You look at him. 

- I don't... really know anything about cell phones so anything that will help me contact you would be fine. 

- Okay then, let's go.

 

 

 

- So how is working at the flower shop going for you?

- I like it. It's a very nice place and people are kind and cheerful most of the time. 

- Is it better than the coffee shop? 

He asked and you knew he was talking about you working at the coffee shop again. You paused for a second and then said: 

- I don't know. I have to try working at the coffee shop to decide which one is better. 

- So should I quit and join you at the flower shop? 

You darted your gaze in his direction. Was he being serious?

- Would you do that?

- I might think about it. 

- But... why? I thought you liked it at the coffee shop.

- I do. But I want to be with you.

You lowered your face trying to hide the blush on your cheeks. Why is he being so clingy lately?

- Can I ask you a question?

You asked and he hummed in response before saying 'Sure!'

- Do you really like me this much? 

You blurted out and waited for his answer, your heart pounding in your chest you thought he might be able to hear it. Why did you ask him this question? Because having him walking by your side, your hand in his, was a dream-like reality; too difficult for you to believe. 

He stopped walking and pulled you so you were standing in front of him. He placed his hands on your shoulders and looked into your eyes as he said: 

- Why are you asking such a question?

You averted your eyes away from him without answering. He took a deep breath before saying: 

- [Y/N]... I really like you. I know 'love' is a big word, but I can say that I love you. You're everything I think about all day long. I am not sure if you'll believe this but... I feel like everything I've been through was meant to lead me to you. I know it sounds cheesy but... 

He was scratching his head in embarrassment. You knew how difficult it was for him to say all that and you appreciated it. You were thankful that he was head over heels with you. It wasn't only you loving him and caring for him, he was in love with you too. You interrupted him when you pulled yourself up standing on your toes and pecked his lips. His eyes widened in surprised before he leaned in and kissed you back. You pulled out of the kiss and looked at him for a few seconds until he whispered: 

- I love you. 

I love you too, you wanted to say. I've always loved you, but the kiss left you breathless. Hearing him say 'I love you' left you speechless. You looked at him without saying a word for what felt like forever, as if your eyes wanted to take as much of him as they could. Your brain was trying to process that Taekwoon was right there, standing in front of you and telling you how much he loved you. You weren't looking at him from behind the glass door as he kissed any of his ex-girlfriends, you weren't eavesdropping as he spoke on the phone with any of them, telling her how much he loved her before wishing her a good night and falling asleep with you by his side, invisibly crying your heart out. He was looking at you, he said he loved you and if you were given one wish you'd wish for this moment to last forever. 

He interrupted your thoughts when he planted a kiss on your temple and then looked at you with a smile on his face. 

- Can we go? People are watching. Was everything you could say and he giggled. He held your hand in his again and walked toward the shop. You entered followed by him and scanned the place quickly before your eyes laid on the person standing behind the counter. As soon as he saw you, he waved at you earning himself a glare from Taekwoon. 

- Hey! 

He almost yelled and you were dying of embarrassment while stealing glances at Taekwoon. The guy walked up to you and greeted you. 

- Nice to see you again! 

- Hi. 

- How are you? I never thought I'd see you again.

- I'm fine, thank you. 

- Do you know each other?

Taekwoon interrupted your conversation and the guy seemed to only notice him now. 

- I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself. My name is Hakyeon, Cha Hakyeon. And you are...?

- Taekwoon. 

- Nice to meet you!

Hakyeon said and then looked at you as he continued: 

- We met this morning. 

- You did?

Taekwoon exclaimed and you explained: 

- I bumped into him on my way to the coffee shop. 

Hakyeon smiled, his eyes looking directly into yours causing you to blush heavily when he said:  

- Actually it was my fault. I was distracted by how beautiful she is and... 

Taekwoon was getting very uncomfortable looking at Hakyeon flirting with you while you said nothing and only seemed flustered. He interrupted Hakyeon as he pulled your arm and walked toward the entrance of the shop.

- Let's go. 

Hakyeon grabbed his arm:  

- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. 

Taekwoon turned around, pulled his arm away as he said, almost yelling: 

- You're flirting with my girlfriend, how is that not supposed to upset me?

- I'm sorry, I didn't know she was your girlfriend. 

Taekwoon remained silent as you squeezed his hand in yours lightly while looking at him. The frown on his face was something you weren't used to seeing and it upset you that your only time together was turning into an unpleasant experience. 

- I'm really sorry. I should have been more careful. Let me make it up to you.

Hakyeon said when Taekwoon didn't respond and you were hoping Taekwoon would loosen up a bit since it was all a misunderstanding. You sighed internally when the frown on his face was starting to disappear as he said: 

- You don't have to do anything. It was a misunderstanding. It's okay now. 

Hakyeon's face lit up as he said: 

- Okay so how can I help you? Are you here to buy a new phone? 

Taekwoon looked at you and then said: 

- Yes please. Can you show us the models you have? 

- Sure! Follow me. 

 

Hakyeon proceeded to show you and Taekwoon several models. To you they were all the same so you couldn't understand why Taekwoon was comparing them to each other and asking Hakyeon about each model's features. You heard him say words like 'wifi' and 'memory' and you stood there next to him completely unaware of the meaning of them, and rather aware of Hakyeon's glances. Every time Taekwoon was looking away, Hakyeon would be staring at you causing you to grow very uncomfortable but unable to do anything. You knew if you told Taekwoon he'd get really mad again and might end up fighting with him. All you wanted was to buy the phone and leave as soon as possible, so when Taekwoon finally settled for a model that looked like his and then turned to you and asked you if you liked it and if you wanted a different color you agreed to whatever he chose. 

- Are you sure you don't a different model? You don't have to take it because I suggested it. 

- It's okay. I don't really use it so it doesn't matter. 

He then turned to Hakyeon and said: 

- We'll take this one and we also need a sim card, and straps with some cute charms. 

- Sure! One second. 

You sighed internally, praying that this will be over very soon. Hakyeon's stares were irritating you causing you to cling more to Taekwoon's arm and faking a smile when he looked at you after feeling the pressure on his arm. 

- Are you okay?

He whispered and you nodded. 

- Do you want anything else? 

- No no. I'm... just feeling cold.

You lied. It wasn't very cold and your clothes were rather warm but seeing him looking concerned, you were forced to lie. He pulled his arm out of your hold and wrapped it around your body, pulling you closer to him. Hakyeon squinted his eyes when he saw you cuddling and wrapping your arms around Taekwoon's middle but you avoided his stare as you looked up at Taekwoon with a smile on your face. His body was warm and his hug caused you to relax in his arms. He leaned in and kissed your temple until you were both interrupted by Hakyeon. He cleared his throat and Taekwoon looked at him as he showed his a collection of sim cards and asked him if he wanted to choose a number. They were back to talking about the price and the sim card number and endless confusing details while your thought trailed back to Hakyeon. There was something about Hakyeon that was confusing you. You didn't know what it was about him that left you perplexed, other than the way he stared at you, but you were determined to find out about it. Maybe I'll come back to the shop after leaving with Taekwoon, you thought to yourself. Your confusion intensified when he chose straps for you and Taekwoon. You looked at the charms, puzzled, as you exchanged looks with Taekwoon. The ones Hakyeon chose were angel charm. Was this a coincidence? Of all the charms he had around the shop, he chose this specific one and asked Taekwoon if he liked it. Taekwoon looked at you and then said: 

- Yes. This one is perfect!

- Great! Anything else? 

- No thank you! 

 

You pulled yourself out of your thoughts when you saw Taekwoon take his wallet out to pay for the phone and the accessories. 

- Wait. 

He turned around to look at you. 

- Do you want something else?

- No. But... I don't want you to pay for my things. 

- What? Are you being serious?

- Yes. Why should you pay for it?

- Because I want to. 

- But... please let me pay half at least. 

- Can we talk about this later? 

You sighed audibly as you nodded. You didn't want to argue with him in public, not after he asked you to keep this conversation for later. You watched him as he paid for everything, opened the box and took the phone out, inserted the sim card and the strap. He then saved his phone number and gave you the phone with a smile on his face. 

- My number is saved here now. We can finally contact each other all day long. 

You whispered a 'thank you' as you reached for the phone and he thanked Hakyeon and left the shop, oblivious to Hakyeon's stares. As soon as you stepped outside the shop you turned to him and said: 

- Why didn't you let me pay for it? 

- Why should you pay for your own gift?

- Gift?

- Yes. This is my gift to you. The first gift I give you as my girlfriend. 

You cheeks turned a light shade of pink as you looked at him and then at the phone in your hand. He then took his phone out and dialed your number. You flinched when the device in your hand started ringing that you almost dropped it if it wasn't for the strap. He giggled before pointing at the green button and telling you to press it. You did as he said and then put the phone on your ear. 

- Hi! 

- Hi. 

You answered while looking at him. 

- Can I talk to [Y/N] please?

- Whom should I tell her? 

- Taekwoon. Jung Taekwoon. The handsome guy from the coffee shop.

- Oh! I don't know any handsome guys though... 

His eyes widened in surprise and you laughed at the expression on his face. 

- It must be a wrong number then. I'm sorry. 

He said and then hung up and you were still laughing. He looked at you with a smile on his face and then said: 

- You don't know any handsome guys? What does that make me? 

- I'm so sorry. I couldn't resist teasing you. 

- I'm deleting your number. Don't try calling me, I won't answer.

You tugged at his sleeve as you laughed at the pout on his face. He looked at his phone and pressed some buttons. You looked at him when your phone buzzed in your hand. You looked at the screen and read 'You have a new text message'.

- What does this mean? 

- Press on this button and you'll know. 

You did as he said and your eyes widened in surprise when you read the text message he sent you:

'Are you free tomorrow night?' 

You looked up at him and said: 

- Yes. 

He giggled. 

- Answer me by sending me a text.

- How do I do that?

- Press on reply. Yes this one, and then type your text and press send. 

- Okay bear with me. 

You typed a 'yes' and then clicked send. His phone vibrated and he opened your text and sent you another one. 

'How about we go to the movies then?' 

You replied 'Sure' and then waited for him to reply. It was his way of teaching you how to use the cell phone without making it look like he actually 'teaching you.' This went on for a few minutes, the two of you texting each other while you were standing next to each other. Every time you replied he observed you carefully as you looked for the letter you wanted and guided you through the whole process until you felt confident enough to not ask what button to press anymore. 

 

- So how do you know that guy?

He asked as you walked together, heading toward the coffee shop. You thought he forgot about the whole ordeal but apparently you were wrong. 

- I bumped into him on my way to you. 

- But he looked very comfortable talking to you and even flirting with you without even looking at me! 

- I have no idea. He helped me up after I fell and asked me if I lived around... and I said yes so he said he never saw me before and then said 'I'll see you around' and left. 

- How do you know he wasn't stalking you?

- Stalking me? 

- Yeah. Following you around and watching you from a distance. 

- I know what stalking means... 

You paused before saying: 

- I mean why would he stalk me? I've never seen him before. 

- I don't know. But... please just be careful okay? 

- Of what?

- Of him. I don't feel very good about him. 

- He looks harmless though.

- Just be careful, please. 

He whined and you smiled. 

- I will. Plus, if anything happens I can just disappear, remember? So he can't really harm me. 

He looked confused for a second before saying: 

- How do you do that by the way? I mean... can you show me?

You remembered how you offered to show him earlier and he looked a bit bothered by it, not yet comprehending your true nature. You thought he was trying to make up for it, for upsetting you earlier and you appreciated it. You looked around for a second before pulling him into an alley and then saying: 

- Close your eyes for a second or just blink. 

He did as you asked and his eyes widened in surprise when you were gone. He looked around frantically as he called your name. You re-appeared at the end of the alley and took a couple of steps in your direction when you disappeared again and appeared behind him. He flinched when you touched his shoulder and turned around to look at you. 

- How did you do that? 

- I just... think about it I guess. Does it make you uncomfortable? 

- No no, not at all. I'm just... amazed.

You suddenly had an idea. You pulled yourself and pecked his cheek and then disappeared. He looked around and then left the alley and looked for you again to no avail. He called your name but you didn't appear and he was starting to worry when his phone vibrated in his pocket. 

'Meet me in your room'

He read the text three times until he realized what you've done. He started running toward the coffee shop. It took him a few minutes to get there, and as soon as he entered he climbed the stairs toward his room ignoring his sister calling his name. He stopped in front of the door before reaching for the handle and turning it slowly, nervous about what to expect. He peeked through the door and saw you sitting on his bed waiting for him. You jumped off bed when you saw him and he walked up to you. 

- Don't do that again. I was so worried.

His hands were on your waist so you threw your arms around his neck and pecked his lips before whispering:

- I'll try. 

He leaned in and kissed your lips again, his heart still pounding in his chest. You pulled out of the kiss and said:

- I should go. 

He wrapped his arms around you and pulled you closer. 

- Stay. 

Your heart skipped a beat when you looked directly into his eyes and they seemed deeper than ever. 

- I can't.

Your voice came out weak and faint, almost like a whisper, without you meaning to. 

- Why not? 

He asked and you slowly pulled yourself out of his hold. As much as you wanted to stay, you wanted him to miss you, to long for you. You hated having to act hard to get, but you didn't want to look too easy or too clingy.

- I should go home. I don't want my parents to worry about me. 

He sighed and then pulled you for a hug. The hug was warm and comforting and you found yourself relaxing in his arms. His touches always had a comforting effect and you longed for them all day long. You wished for the hug to last forever but it was interrupted by the knocking on his door. You pecked his cheek quickly and disappeared before his mother opened the door and entered his room. As soon as you did, you noticed your phone was on his floor. He picked it up quickly as he greeted his mother and answered her questions on how his day went, how you have been and so on. You waited until she left and closed the door behind her to enter his room. 

- What happened?

He asked. 

- I don't know. I've never tried taking anything with me home to I think I can't take the phone?

- Why not?

- I don't know. Maybe because it belongs here, not there. 

You said as you pointed up toward the sky and he scratched the back of his head, trying to find a solution. 

- So did we buy it for nothing?

You asked in embarrassment. His face lit up as he said: 

- No. I'll keep it here and each morning you come to my room and pick it before going to work. 

You remained silent for a second as you thought of his suggestion. You had no other option, really. You can't take it with you and you had nowhere else to put it.

- This way you'll have to come see me every morning. 

You bit your lower lip as you averted your eyes away from him, hoping he doesn't notice the blush on your cheeks. 

- I guess so. 

You handed him the phone, wished him a good night and promised to see him in the morning before leaving his room. 

 

 

It was too early to go home so you decided to walk around the area for a bit. You then remembered Hakyeon and walking toward the shop, determined to watch him and try to figure the reason behind the weird feeling you had about him. You disappeared and entered the shop. As soon as you did, he looked up in your direction. You froze in your place. It was impossible for him to see you. Nobody can see you. Was it a coincidence? You took a couple of steps to the right and were shocked to see his eyes following you. You ran out of the shop, frightened as you remembered Taekwoon's words. He didn't feel good about Hakyeon, and he was probably right. 

- Hey! 

You almost screamed when you saw Hakyeon standing next to you outside the shop. You slowly turned your face in his direction and you swallowed hard when he was looking directly into your eyes. How is this even possible?

- I know who you are...