Chapter 8

I'll always be by your side

“You’re complicating things more than you should.”

Your sister said when you told her of how the past two days went. Things were indeed very complicated. You knew he loved you, he knew you loved him, but somehow something lay in between the two of you being together.

“Is it me?”

“Of course it is you. But I don’t blame you, it’s so difficult to be in love with someone who is different and be always sure that he won’t doubt your relationship.”

“At least someone understands how I feel.”

“I do. Of course I do. This is why we’re sisters.”

She gave you a reassuring smile and a pat on the back. You smiled at her and then said:

“Do you think it’ll work? Wonsik’s plan?”

She thought for a second and then said:

“It could work if you want it to work. Stop being stubborn and have faith in him. If he said he loves you and he’s doing everything to be able to see you again, then believe him and trust your love.”

 

 

With those words, you said goodbye to her and flew to where Wonsik was waiting for you. It was his sister’s birthday and he made sure you and Taekwoon would be at his place. He said something about seven minutes in heaven and for a second you thought he knew you were an angel, until he started explaining the game. You couldn’t hide the blush on your cheeks when he said he’d put you and Taekwoon in the closet together and suggested you confess everything to him while no one else could hear you or see you.

“So, are you ready?”

He asked when he saw you fidgeting with your fingers and looking around nervously. You nodded and then asked:

“Are you sure he’s coming?”

“Yes. He even said he’s bringing a friend along.”

“A friend?”

You were puzzled. You didn’t know Taekwoon had a friend other than Wonsik.

“Yes. Actually, his friend is the one bringing him. He didn’t want to come.”

You let out a sigh. You had planned to come to the party with him but now… another sigh. When he saw how upset you looked, Wonsik patted your shoulder and then said:

“Don’t worry. Everything will be fine.”

Before you could thank him the door bell rang announcing the arrival of guests. Wonsik had previously introduced you to his sister so when her guests started arriving, she took your hand and introduced you to each one of them. Make new friends, she whispered when she saw how nervous you looked and you gave her a nod and a smile.

 

 

Everyone was busy chatting, eating or drinking as they waited till midnight to bring in the cake and start the party. You, on the other hand, sat on the sofa and watched them enjoy their time while you kept thinking about Taekwoon, and whether Wonsik’s plan would work or not. You really wanted things to be fine again.

 

Almost fifteen minutes later you saw Wonsik running in your direction.

“Go hide in my room! He’s here!”

You jumped off your seat and ran towards Wonsik’s room before closing the door behind you. Your heart was pounding in your chest as you tried listening carefully for Taekwoon’s voice. A smile found its way to your face when you heard him greet Wonsik before wishing his sister a happy birthday. You recognized Hakyeon’s voice and realized he was the friend Wonsik told you about. You continued listening to Taekwoon's voice chatting with Wonsik. You placed your hand on your heart, trying to calm yourself down. You missed him so much. You missed everything about him and this made you pray even more that things will be okay after this night.

You didn’t know how much time had passed until you heard a countdown followed by cheers. It’s midnight already, you thought to yourself when the lights went off and a birthday song followed. You held back a giggle when you recognized Taekwoon’s voice signing half of the birthday song and then stopping when the voices around him covered up his whispers.

 

Wonsik had told you that he’ll wait until after the cake was eaten to start the games and you assured him that it was fine. He didn’t want you to miss the party but you told him it was okay as long as it would make things between you and Taekwoon good again. After they cut the cake and gathered to play games, Wonsik excused himself and opened the door to his room. He entered his room and closed the door behind him.

“Can you sneak into that closet without getting caught?”

He asked as he pointed at a closet at the other end of the living room and you nodded.

“Ok. I’ll leave now and keep him distracted while you get into the closet and then I’ll make sure he gets in there too.”

He left the room and you closed the door behind him before turning into your angelic form. You told him you could sneak out of his room but you didn’t tell him how. You watched him as he stood in front of Taekwoon before pulling him behind him out of the way so you can get out of his room without getting caught. You got into the closet and changed into your human form when you heard Wonsik call for a game. Through the dim light over your head you could see that Wonsik had emptied the closet for the sake of this game. It was big enough to carry two persons and keep a decent distance between them. You rested your back against the backboard and waited nervously for Wonsik to give his instructions and then announce that he’ll start with picking a guy first. Even though he told you he’ll make sure Taekwoon gets chosen, you were worried about getting stuck in the closet with someone else for 7 minutes. You were starting to get anxious as Wonsik called out the names of the excluded guys. You heard cheers and laughter when he announced that Taekwoon is the one to get inside the closet. You knew Taekwoon was probably blushing heavily and trying his best to avoid getting inside it.

“What about the girl?

Someone asked as Wonsik was leading Taekwoon toward the closet.

“The girl is already inside.”

 

 

“You?”

Taekwoon stared at you in disbelief. It took him a few seconds to recognize you under the faint light of Wonsik’s closet. Wonsik locked the door of the closet and you heard cheers when he started the timer. You bit your lower lip as you avoided eye contact with Taekwoon.

“Where have you been?”

He asked softly, after a few seconds of mutual silence. You lifted your head up to look at him. His voice unleashed the butterflies in your tummy. It always had that effect on you. You found yourself stuttering:

“A… around.”

“Around? Close enough to know that I’m losing my mind wondering where you’ve been? Spending sleepless nights worrying about you?”

You swallowed hard before averting your eyes away from him.

“Do you like watching me suffer?”

He said and you darted your gaze in his direction.

“What? No. You don’t understand!”

“Then explain yourself.”

He demanded. You parted your lips to speak but nothing came out. He let out a sigh and then said:

“Do you even love me? I can’t remember the last time you said it.”

“Taekwoon!”

He was right. Every time you tried saying something got between the two of you. Sometimes it was his mother, other times it was someone at work. It’s been a while since you last managed to mouth those words to him. I’m not the only one doubting us, you thought to yourself as you stared at him.

“It seems like you don’t have anything to say.”

He said, interrupting your thoughts.

“Because I’m scared. My heart hurts every time I think that you might stop loving me. I lose my mind every time I imagine you breaking up with me because… because I’m not human enough.”

A tear found its way down your cheek. It caught him off guard. He didn’t expect you to cry. He was mad at you, yes, but he didn’t mean to upset you. He was just trying to let you know how he felt about the whole thing. He pulled you into his embrace, wrapped his arms around your body and whispered:

“I missed you.”

You buried your face in his chest before whispering:

“I missed you too.”

“Then why did you leave me?”

You didn’t give him an answer. He pulled out and stared at you as he said:

“I… I know what you heard.”

A light shade of pink crept into your face. He knows I was eavesdropping.

“I… I didn’t mean to…”

“I know. But I want you to know that I will never call you lifeless, or cold. Ever.”

“But that’s what I am…”

He placed his index on your lips, interrupting you midsentence.

“You’re not lifeless. Being different means nothing to me. I love you and I know you love me, right?”

The corners of his lips lifted up in a smile as he cupped your face and your cheek with his thumb. Your lips trembled as you said: 

“A…aren’t you mad at me?”

“No. I’m just a bit upset. I never thought you’d break your promise and leave my side.”

“I’m sorry.”

You said faintly.

“Don’t apologize. You have nothing to apologize for.”

He pushed a lock of hair behind your ear before saying:

“I just wish you’d have more faith in yourself. You mean so much to me, to my family, even to Wonsik and Hakyeon. We all love you and appreciate you.”

“Thank you.”

You almost whispered. He pecked your temple and then looked at you as he said:  

“Do you promise me to never ever doubt yourself again?”

You nodded.

“And to never ever doubt my love to you?”

You smiled and nodded again. He paused for a second and then asked:

“Wonsik helped you with this, didn’t he?”

You nodded one more time so he said:

“I’m not sure whether to thank him for this or beat him up for scaring me and making me get inside the closet with a girl.”

You giggled.

“We should both thank him. Things wouldn’t have turned this way without him.”

He smiled and said:

“I never thought he’d come up with something like this.”

“It’s because he cares about you.”

 “And I care about you.”

He said as he leaned forward and pecked your lips. He pulled out and said:

“Shouldn’t we at least follow the rules of the game?”

You felt your cheeks heat up when you felt his hot breath tickling your lips. You gave him a tiny nod and he locked your lips with his without hesitation. You placed your hands on his chest and gave in to him as he deepened the kiss. He pulled out to catch his breath so you whispered:

“I love you.”

You could suddenly hear Wonsik’s voice getting closer as he yelled:

“I’ll open the closet now. The second couple is ready to go.”

Taekwoon held your hand in his as Wonsik opened the closet to let you both out. You hid behind Taekwoon as soon as you found the guests looking in your direction, probably wondering whether you’ve kissed or not. When he noticed the shade of pink creeping into your cheeks he looked at Wonsik and said:

“How did you manage to put my girlfriend inside the closet?”

He was loud enough to make the guests hear him. He wanted them to know that he didn’t kiss a random girl. Wonsik chuckled and then said:

“We thought it would be a nice surprise.”

Taekwoon pulled you from behind his back and wrapped his arm around your middle before saying:

“It was.”

You gave Wonsik a faint smile and he nodded in your direction before saying:

“Let’s put the second couple inside before moving to the next game.”

You and Taekwoon moved out of the way and walked toward the crowd. Your eyes widened in surprise when you saw Wonsik push Hakyeon inside the closet before helping one of the girls in with him. You didn’t recognize the girl but the look on Hakyeon’s face confused you. He seemed shy but also shocked. You leaned into Taekwoon and whispered:

 

“Doesn’t Hakyeon seem a bit terrified?”

He looked at Hakyeon who was now disappearing inside the closet as Wonsik closed the door.

“He does. Maybe he’s new to these types of games.”

He paused for a second and then said:

“By the way, he… he told me he’s like you.”

You looked at him in surprise.

“He did?”

He nodded and then asked:

“Do you want to stay or should we leave?”

You knew he wasn’t a big fan of parties but you were eager to see Hakyeon’s face when he comes out of the closet.

“Can we wait until Hakyeon is out?”

“Sure.”

 

 

The seven minutes passed very slowly as you sat down next to Taekwoon waiting for Hakyeon to come out of the closet. Wonsik and his sister along with the rest of the guests were busy playing a game and you were glad he didn’t involve you or Taekwoon in it. Taekwoon had glared at him earlier preventing him from including you in any more games.

 

 

Meanwhile, Hakyeon was inside the closet staring at the girl in disbelief. In the dim light of the closet, she seemed like a replica of the woman he spent the past few years mourning. Her brown silky hair, her hazelnut eyes and her narrow nose reminded him of the human he fell for a long time ago. He couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw her among the guests. He could feel his aura shaking lightly when his eyes fell on her. When Wonsik chose her to get inside the closet with him his aura was shaking again. It must be fate, he thought to himself as he stared at her shy smile and pink tinted cheeks as she stood facing him inside the closet.

“Did we meet before?”

She asked, interrupting his thoughts. He wasn’t sure whether to say yes or no. Did he meet her before? In a previous life? In this life? Could it be possible that she’s the reincarnation of the woman he loved?

“I… I don’t think so.”

He found himself saying.

“You look familiar. Do you live around?”

She asked again.

“I work…somewhere around.”

She let out an ‘oh’ before saying:

“I think I’ve seen you before.”

“Probably.”

A few seconds passed before he said:

“Do… do you mind if I… kiss you?”

He found himself stuttering as he looked at her in anticipation. Her eyes sparkled and her cheeks turned red as she said:

“That’s what the game is about, right?”

He nodded so she took a step forward. He moved closer to her and hesitated for a second before lifting his hand to cup her face. He felt his aura come back to life when his hand touched her cheek. He leaned forward and printed a quick peck on her lips before pulling out and looking at her again. 

“Can I kiss you again?”

He almost whispered. He was weak. His wings were struggling to sprout out of his back and his knees were barely holding him. He was desperate for her to say yes.

“Please.”

She whispered back. He didn’t waste another second as he locked his lips with hers again. This kiss was longer, deeper and more eager. He cupped her face with both hands while she pulled herself up and threw her arms around his neck. She seemed as eager as he was, and it only made him drop his hands and wrap them around her back, pulling her closer, deepening the kiss. She pulled out after what felt like forever to catch her breath. She found him staring at her dotingly with a shy smile on his face. She smiled back.

“I… I’m sorry if I went too far…”

He said as he scratched the back of his head in embarrassment.

“No. It was… it was great.”

“Thank you.”

He whispered before hearing Wonsik’s voice as he yelled:

“I’m about to open the closet. Get ready.”

“Remind me again, where do you work?”

She asked.

“At the cell phone shop.”

He answered. Wonsik opened the closet with a smirk on his face.

“Did you guys kiss?”

“That’s none of your business.”

Hakyeon said as he helped the girl leave the closet and join her friends at the other end of the living room after flashing him a smile. You jumped from your seat and walked toward him.

“Are you okay?”

He nodded before saying:

“I’ve never been better.”

You turned in the direction of the girl to find her looking at Hakyeon with a smile on her face. You gave him a questioning look and he said:

“I… I don’t know what happened but something about her makes me feel… alive. I don't know what is it but I will find out."

He then turned to look at Taekwoon who stood next to you.

"What about you? Are you guys okay?”

He asked. Taekwoon placed his arm around your shoulder as he said:

“We’re great. Thanks to you and Wonsik.”

“That’s good to hear.”

“We have to go now. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

You said before waving at Hakyeon and holding Taekwoon’s hand in yours. You turned to look at him and then said:

“Shall we go?”

“Let me tell Wonsik first.”

You gave him a nod and he walked toward Wonsik, exchanged a few words with him before turning to look at you. He motioned you to walk toward him, so you did. Wonsik gave you a smile as he said:

“Are you guys okay now?”

“Yes. Thank you.”

You said.

“You’re most welcome. Taekwoon says you want to leave, is that true? We still have a few more games to play.”

He whined causing you to giggle.

“We’re both tired. And we have a lot to talk about.”

You said as you linked your arm with Taekwoon’s. Wonsik’s eyes widened in surprise as he stared at you and Taekwoon for a second before saying:

“Are you… are you going to…”

Taekwoon smacked Wonsik’s head causing the younger to wince in pain.

“She said talk, you idiot.”

Wonsik rubbed his head in pain as he said:

“I thought that’s your word for s…”

Taekwoon gave him another smack on the head before pulling you behind him. You looked at Wonsik in confusion.

“We’re leaving. See you tomorrow.”

Taekwoon said as he waved at Wonsik and left the house. As soon as you were outside Wonsik’s house, you stopped in your tracks and turned to look at Taekwoon.

“What was he talking about?”

His cheeks turned bright red as he averted his eyes away from you. Wonsik is an idiot!

“I’ll tell you later.”

“Why can’t you tell me now?”

He held your hand in his and walked toward his car as he said:

“Let’s go home first.” 

 

 

---------------------------

I just came back from Jordan. Sorry for the super late update. I found out that my cousin also writes fics but on wattpad and she was the one who beat me up for leaving you guys hanging. She was shocked when she knew I haven't updated in so long so she kept urging me to finish the chapter and post it. Thank you for hanging around and I hope you like this chapter cause there will be more to come. Thank you again! ♥