Chapter 6

I'll always be by your side

You ran away aimlessly, trying to register what Hakyeon just did. You stopped at an abandoned ally to catch your breath, completely forgetting that you can simply shape-shift and go home. You felt lost in your own thoughts as you placed your fingers on your lips as if tracing where his lips had touched yours. You shook your head and took a deep breath in an attempt to even your breathing. This night was leaving you very confused. What you heard Taekwoon say caused you enough pain already. And now that you knew Hakyeon liked you, you didn't have anyone else to go to. Just being around him would make things more awkward now. Why did he have to do this when he was the only one you felt comfortable talking to? He was the only one who could relate to everything you said. Now things are going to be different. 

 

 

When you noticed a couple of people peeking at you, you walked out of the ally and found your way toward an empty corner before changing forms and flying away. You roamed around the area all night long, not knowing what to do or where to go. Your mind was busy thinking of so many things. Your relationship with Taekwoon was slowly starting to seem more serious but you still felt strange at times, especially when your true nature was brought to the surface. Talking about flying and shape shifting with him made you feel distant from him and you'd wonder if he felt as strange. You wondered if he'd rather be with a normal person like himself, someone who doesn't disappear suddenly, someone who eats and drinks like everyone else does; a human being.

 

 

When it was time to go to work, you didn't change forms and continued to fly around the area aimlessly. You didn't feel like going to work, let alone talk to people and see their normal interactions as humans. You were sensitive to the slightest mention of any of their daily activities that you didn't understand or didn't relate to. It was making you feel more excluded, more different than them, and that was the last thing you wanted at this moment.

 

 

 

Taekwoon, on the other hand, walked away from the scene with a bewildered look on his face. He was sure of what he saw. It was you. It was definitely you. And he was sure this was the boy from the shop. But why were you there with him? Why did he try to kiss you? A part of him was relieved that you pushed the guy away but a part of him was still upset that you were sitting with the guy at this time in the first place. 

When he walked out of his room and found the phone on the floor he was very surprised. He didn't hear you knocking on his door and he definitely didn't hear you climbing the stairs to his room. He ran downstairs hoping to see you were still at the cafe. When his sister told him you had left already, he ran out of the cafe hoping to find you still walking close to the cafe. He roamed the area until he spotted you with Hakyeon sitting on a bench in the park. He froze in his place when he saw you sitting next to each other. He wasn't sure whether he should interrupt your conversation and make himself look like he was stalking you, or simply watch as the two of you continued talking like any normal friends would. 

When he saw him leaning in to kiss you, he fought the urge to run towards him and punch his face. He struggled to remain silent as he watched you push Hakyeon away and leave immediately, leaving both of them puzzled. He followed you with his eyes as you walked away. When he turned back to look at Hakyeon, the latter was gone. Taekwoon was taken aback by the boy's sudden disappearance but he brushed it off as he left his place to follow you. You were nowhere to be found. He continued walking for at least an hour until he lost hope in finding you and decided to go home. 

He waited for you to come in the morning but you didn't show up at the coffee shop to pick up your phone. He asked one of his sisters to cover up for him as he walked toward the flowers shop to look for you.

 

"We haven't seen her today."

"Did she say she's not coming?"

"No. She didn't leave a message or anything."

“When was the last time you saw her?”

“We saw her yesterday. Is everything okay?”

“Yes, yes. Don’t worry. Thank you.”

 

 

He was starting to worry. Where could she be? He asked himself but could think of nowhere to find you. How do you find an angel?

His phone started ringing. He pulled it out of his pocket and answered.

"Hey."

"What's wrong?"

"What?"

"Don't try to fool me. I can tell something is wrong with you. What happened? Are you okay?"

How Wonsik can always tell if Taekwoon was upset will always remain a mystery to him. He insisted on meeting him right this instant when Taekwoon refused to tell him what happened. He wasn't sure how to talk to him about it. "My girlfriend is an angel and I can't find her anywhere" wasn't something he was going to try. 

"...And then she ran away and now I can't contact her."

Wonsik was frowning as he listened to Taekwoon telling him how he saw Hakyeon kissing you before you pushed him and walked away. 

"Well..."

Wonsik tried avoiding eye contact with him as he remembered the few times he saw you with Hakyeon. He remembered how he hugged you and was acting very friendly with you. You had told him that you will talk to Taekwoon about it but apparently you didn't. Now he wasn't sure if he should...

"Well what? Do you know something I should know?"

Wonsik took a deep breath and remained silent for a few seconds. Taekwoon was getting nervous. 

"What is it? Tell me!"

"I... I saw her with the same guy a few times over the past week."

"When and where?"

Wonsik looked up to find Taekwoon glaring at him. He swallowed hard and then said: 

"She said he's just a friend and promised-"

"You talked to her about it?"

Taekwoon almost yelled causing Wonsik to flinch. 

"I didn't want her to break your heart so I asked her to tell you about him if he's just a friend but-"

He paused when Taekwoon hit the table and stood up. He walked away from the table without saying a word. Wonsik stood up and walked to him, placing his hand on his shoulder. Taekwoon turned around to look at him. 

"Who asked you? Why did you do this without telling me?"

"I just wanted-"

"Listen to me Wonsik-"

"No. You listen to me."

Wonsik almost yelled back. 

"I know how much you love her. But if she's not going to be faithful to you then she doesn't deserve you."

"Who are you to decide?"

"I am your friend. You're the only one I have and I won't let her break your heart even if you ask me to stay out of it!"

Taekwoon sat down on the chair and Wonsik took the seat facing him. They were both silent for a few seconds until Wonsik said: 

"I didn't scare her off, I assure you."

Taekwoon didn't say anything as he seemed too spaced out to respond. He understood that Wonsik was merely worried about him, knowing he was there when you left the first time. He knew it was hard for Wonsik to understand the nature of your relationship but he was sure you weren't cheating on him and he was afraid whatever Wonsik said to you might have made you rethink this relationship. 

 

 

He went back to the coffee shop and spent the rest of the day waiting for you to show up without being able to do anything. He just sat down on one of the chairs hoping to see you walking into the coffee shop at any second. 

After two days of constant pacing, walking around the area all day long, going to the flower shop three times a day, Taekwoon was starting to lose his mind. He couldn't sleep at night and wouldn't eat even when his mother and sisters begged him to. All he was thinking about was your whereabouts and if you were safe. 

You, on the other hand, spent the two days with your family. You didn't know what to do. You didn't want to speak to them about him or Hakyeon. You simply wanted to stay away for a while, trying to figure out what to do. Even though you missed him so much, you fought the urge to see him when you remembered what you heard him say about you. It broke your heart to know he thinks of you like that when all you ever wanted was to be with him and make him look at you the way he looked at his previous girlfriends. This just won't work out, you thought to yourself. After all, the pain you've been through so far could be a sign that this relationship won't work. You came from two different worlds, completely different. Maybe if I stay here he'll forget about me and go back to his normal life, you convinced yourself it was for the best. 

 

 

"You want to what?"

Wonsik asked as he followed Taekwoon. 

"I need to talk to him. I can't take this anymore!"

"What does he have to do with anything?"

Wonsik was trying to stop Taekwoon from going to where Hakyeon worked. But Taekwoon was insisting on talking to him.

"He was the last one who saw her before she disappeared. He could know where she is."

 

 

Hakyeon looked nervous when he saw Taekwoon and Wonsik walking into the shop looking directly at him. He pretended to busy himself with the devices in front of him hoping they weren't there for him. He was afraid you might have told Taekwoon about his attempt to kiss you and that Taekwoon was here to beat him up. He lifted his head up when he realized Taekwoon was standing in front of him. He swallowed hard before asking in the most normal voice he could fake:

"How may I help you?"

Taekwoon glared at him for a second and then said:

"I need to talk to you."

"Excuse me?"

He gulped as he wiped his sweaty hands on his pants.

"I'll wait outside."

Taekwoon said before turning around and leaving the shop. Hakyeon followed him with his eyes until he saw him leave the shop and lean on the wall next to it waiting for him to come out. He wasn't sure what to do. He was afraid Taekwoon will attack him once he was out. He knew he could easily disappear but he didn't want to blow his cover. He had nowhere else to go and was by now used to living in this town. He looked at Taekwoon again and found him staring at him. He took a deep breath and walked toward his coworker asking him to cover up for him for five minutes.

 

"Sure."

"What do you want?"

Hakyeon asked as soon as he was facing Taekwoon and Wonsik.

"Where is [---]?"

Hakyeon frowned as he said: 

"What? How am I supposed to know?"

"You were with her the night she disappeared."

Taekwoon asked and Hakyeon's eyes widened in surprise. 

"Disappeared?"

Taekwoon was starting to lose his patience. He asked again, his tone demanding:

"Yes, disappeared. Now tell me where is she!"

Wonsik placed his hand on Taekwoon's shoulder to calm him down when he noticed he was almost yelling, causing Hakyeon to flinch and take a step backwards. 

"I haven't seen her since... since that night. I swear!" 

"Are you sure?"

Wonsik asked as he tightened his grip on Taekwoon's shoulder. Taekwoon was shaking in both anger and frustration. How could she simply disappear? 

"Yes! I swear I haven't seen her! Why would I lie to you?"

"We haven't seen her either. It's unusual that she doesn't contact him for two days without leaving a message. She hasn't been to work either. Did she mention she was going anywhere?"

Wonsik was now handling the conversation since Taekwoon was unable to speak as he tried very hard to prevent tears from flowing down his face. Hakyeon couldn't miss the pain on his face or the tears welling up in his eyes. Taekwoon was hoping Hakyeon would give him answers and he couldn’t hide his frustration when he didn’t.

"No... She didn't say anything about leaving."

Wonsik wrapped his arm around Taekwoon's shoulder before saying: 

"We're sorry to disturb you. But please, if you remember anything let us know."

"I will... I'm sorry I couldn't help."

 

 

Wonsik hugged Taekwoon tightly as they sat in the latter's room. Taekwoon was sobbing in his chest and he felt helpless. He couldn't do anything more than patting his friend's back and assuring him that you were safe, nothing bad had happened to you and that you'll be back soon. 

"I need to be alone."

Taekwoon said, pulling out of Wonsik's hug and wiping his tears with his sleeve. 

"But..."

"Please, I need to be alone."

Wonsik let out a sigh before standing up and walking toward the door. 

"Call me if you need anything, okay?"

"I will."

He paused for a second and then said: 

"Thank you."

Wonsik smiled slightly as he opened the door.

"You're welcome."

 

 

Almost half an hour later, Taekwoon was in his room staring at the letter you left him last time you disappeared when he heard a knock on his door. He placed the letter inside his diary before saying: 

"Come in."

His sister opened the door slightly.

"A guy called Hakyeon wants to see you."

He jumped from his seat.

"Where is he?"

"Downstairs."

 

 

Taekwoon looked at Hakyeon who was biting his lower lip as he sat down on one of the chairs in the empty coffee shop. He walked up to him and took the seat in front of him before asking:

"Why are you here?"

Hakyeon looked around him to notice two of Taekwoon's sisters cleaning around so he said: 

"Can we talk somewhere else? In your room maybe?"

Taekwoon looked at him suspiciously.

"Why?"

"I'm not sure this is the right place for what I have to tell you."

Taekwoon stared at him for a few seconds before standing up.

"Follow me."

 

 

Hakyeon stared at the floor as he entered Taekwoon's room. Taekwoon closed the door behind him and sat on the edge of his bed as he glared at Hakyeon. 

"Speak."

"Could you first stop glaring at me like this? It's scary." 

"How else should I look at the guy who tried kissing my girlfriend?"

Hakyeon's jaw dropped at Taekwoon's remark. Taekwoon told him he saw them together the other night, but he was hoping he had skipped the kissing part. 

"I... I'm sorry I didn't mean to. I was... I was trying to comfort her."

He sat down on the chair facing Taekwoon before continuing: 

"She was crying and I... I didn't know what to do. But I assure you, she didn't kiss me back!"

"I know. But why was she crying? She was fine when I last saw her."

"Well she... she said something about... she heard you talk to someone about her and she was very hurt."

Taekwoon frowned. 

"What did she hear exactly? Did she tell you?"

"She said you called her abnormal, cold and... lifeless... yes, lifeless. It broke my heart to-"

Taekwoon stood up abruptly and almost yelled, interrupting Hakyeon: 

"I never said this about her! You're lying!"

"I am not lying!"

Hakyeon yelled back. 

"She heard you talk on the phone that night. You said she'd get very upset if you talk to her about it but she heard you anyway. If you can't love her the way she is then let her go. I know I can treat her better than you do!" 

"What are you talking about? I'd never hurt her and I'd never say such things about her!" 

He paused for a few seconds.

"Oh my god!" 

"Do you remember now?"

"Shut up! I... I said those things but... I wasn't talking about her!" 

Hakyeon snorted. 

"What were you talking about then?"

"The... the new coffee machine."

"What?!"

Hakyeon gawked at him until he noticed his cheeks were turning a light shade of pink. 

"Are you kidding me?"

Taekwoon avoided looking at him as he said:

"No... my... my mother bought a new one and I... didn't like it. The previous one was easier to deal with and I was used to it. But... I was afraid she'd be upset if I complained about it so instead I whined about it to Wonsik."

Hakyeon let out an 'oh' as he looked at Taekwoon. He was wondering what is it that you liked so much about him? He seemed like a nice guy, yes, but he was still a human with limited vision and limited abilities. Even if he was handsome and caring, he was nothing compared to angels, nothing compared to himself. 

"But... why did she talk to you about it?"

Taekwoon asked, interrupting Hakyeon's trail of thoughts. 

"We're friends. She tells me everything."

"Friends?"

Taekwoon exclaimed.

"Since when?"

"Since I told her I am-"

Hakyeon swallowed the rest of the sentence when he realized he was about to expose his true identity. 

"You're what?"

"I think I should leave."

Before Hakyeon could open the door, Taekwoon grabbed his arm and pulled him back as he asked again:

"You're what?"

Hakyeon let out a sigh and then said: 

"Do you remember the first time you came to the shop?"

Taekwoon nodded.

"Do you still have the angel charm I gave you?"

Taekwoon nodded again and then asked:

"What is it?"

"I gave you the angel charm for a reason."

Hakyeon paused for a few seconds and then said: 

"It's because I knew she's an angel."

Taekwoon's eyes widened in surprise as he stared at Hakyeon in disbelief. 

"What? How?"

"Because I am an angel too..."