Chapter 9

I'll always be by your side

You left Wonsik's house and walked with Taekwoon toward the coffee shop. You were curious to know what Wonsik was talking about. What could he mean? You looked up Taekwoon. He turned to look at you and smiled before saying:

- What?

- Nothing.

- Are you sure?

- Yeah! I'm just... I'm happy we're together again.

He squeezed your hand lightly.

- Me too.

You entered the coffee shop and were greeted by Taekwoon's mother and sister.

- How have you been?

His mother asked.

- Good. Thank you.

- We’re watching a movie; do you want to join us?

His sister asked as she picked the bowl of popcorn she just made. You looked at Taekwoon and then said:

- Sure. Why not!

She extended her arm, motioning you to join her and the rest of the family in the living room. You followed her along with Taekwoon to find his sisters and his brother-in-law sitting on the couches in front of the TV.

- Switch the lights off and come.

Taekwoon let you in before him and turned to switch off the lights before taking a seat next to you. He put his arm around your shoulder and you relaxed into his hold, resting your head on his chest. His youngest sister took the seat next to you and let out a whistle. He glared at her and said:

- Are you jealous?

- Why would I be? I've known better looking guys.

- I don't think so.

You interfered. His older sister looked at you with a smirk on her face.

- What have you done to her?

His mother giggled and then said:

- Can we watch the movie now?

 

 

You exchanged looks with Taekwoon when the title of the movie appeared on the screen. "City of Angels."

- Have you seen this before?

He shook his head "no" as he shoved popcorn into his mouth. He asked you if you wanted some but you whispered a "no" before turning to look at the screen. You followed the events of the movie with curiosity. The story about the angel asking people of their favorite things before leading their souls to heaven wasn't very accurate, but you didn't comment on it. You saw how immersed the family was and you didn't want to interrupt them. After all, you couldn’t really explain how you knew this wasn’t real.

You looked up at Taekwoon when you realized the angel in the movie was in love with the human surgeon. He looked down at you with a smile on his face.

- That's us.

He whispered in your ear and you grinned at the coincidence. This was indeed you and Taekwoon. The angel was watching the human from afar before deciding to use his human form and approach her. You were now eager to see how their story ends. You wanted to know how your story with Taekwoon will end.

The smile on your face faded as you remembered your failed confession to Taekwoon. It wasn't very different from the angel's confession in the movie. The woman he loved wouldn't believe he was an angel. What is he going to do now? You thought to yourself.

Permanently transforming into a human? You’ve never considered that. You weren’t sure if angels could change themselves into humans. You haven’t heard of an angel who did so, not even Hakyeon who was desperate to confess to the woman he loved. You let out a gasp when the angel made a grave decision and jumped from the top of a skyscraper. Taekwoon and his sister turned to look at you in surprise.

- Are you okay?

You felt your cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

- Sorry. I'm fine.

- We can leave if you want.

Taekwoon said. You looked at him and gave him an assuring smile before saying:

- No. It's okay. I want to know what happens next.

 

The angel's permanent transformation amazed you. He didn't look very different from his temporary human form, but he could feel a lot more now. You could feel heat and pain in your current state as well, but you were curious to know if a permanent transformation would add anything to your human abilities.

Suddenly one of Taekwoon's sisters jumped in front of the screen as the angel and the human started kissing each other. You could see glimpses of their bare skin and you didn’t understand why Taekwoon’s sister was covering the screen. His other sister fiddled with the remote control as she said:

- I'm so sorry. I didn't know this wasn't a clean copy.

You looked at Taekwoon in confusion.

- What is she talking about?

You looked at the screen to see the actors' bodies as they continued to kiss before his sister managed to skip that part. His other sister went back to her seat after taking another look at the screen.

- What happened? What were they doing?

You asked Taekwoon in a whisper. His cheeks turned a light shade of pink, but he didn’t say anything so his youngest sister jumped in:

- They were having .

Taekwoon darted his gaze in her direction while you stared at her in disbelief. She shrugged her shoulders and looked at the screen and then said:

- What?  It’s not like she didn’t know.

S…ex? Is this what Wonsik was talking about? You suddenly remembered that time you saw Taekwoon and Euna in bed, tangled in each other's arms. Blood rushed into your cheeks and your heart was pounding in your chest. You did tell him before that you've been around him for a while and that you know a lot about him. But you never mentioned the things you know, the things you've seen. You tried to focus on the movie when you saw the woman get hit by a truck. The angel ran to her but she slipped through his fingers and died, leaving him alone. Taekwoon turned to look at you to find your lips trembling and tears rolling down your face.

- What's wrong?

You buried your face in his chest when you noticed his sisters staring at you. He patted your back gently as he said:

- Excuse us.

He helped you off the couch and took you out of the living room. You were now sobbing in his chest so he continued to pat your back, trying to calm you down. A few minutes later, you pulled out of his chest and stared at him, eyes full of tears before saying:

-I don't want you to die!

The movie touched areas in your mind that you had blocked away. Taekwoon being a mortal, Taekwoon being in a few relationships before meeting you, Taekwoon in the arms of another woman. This was too much for you.

He pulled you in his embrace again. He didn't know what to do. He had no idea what was going on inside your head but he was sure the movie had triggered a few sensitive areas. He wished he had stayed at Wonsik's party instead of putting you through this.

You pulled out of his hold and stared at him again. He cupped your face and said:

- Listen to me, I don't think I'll die any time soon.

You sniffed.

- But you'll die, right?

- I will, but not today.

- But I don't want you to die!

You whined. He smiled and then said:

- There is nothing we can do about that.

- I'm sure there is!

You wiped your tears away. He pecked your temple and then said:

- It's too late now. Let's go to bed now and we'll figure out something when we wake up.

Mentioning the bed reminded you of the scene his sisters tried to cover. Before you could ask him anything, he was taking you upstairs toward his room. You both entered the room and he closed the door behind him before flopping on his bed. 

- I am so tired. 

He said before looking at you. He patted the empty spot on his bed and motioned you to come and sit next to him. You took slow steps in his direction. Your mind was busy remembering the things you've seen him do in this room with his previous girlfriends. You wondered if he'd ever want to do it with you. You sat down next to him and he could see the dazed look on your face. He sat up and nudged your shoulder. You turned to look at him. 

- Are you okay?

He asked with a concerned look on his face. You rested your hand on his thigh and gave him an assuring smile. 

- I'm fine. 

- Then what are you thinking?

You looked into his eyes wondering whether to tell him of what you saw or not. 

- I'm thinking about turning myself into a human. He frowned as he stared at you in confusion. 

- Are you serious? 

- Yes. 

- Why would you do such a thing?

- Wouldn't you want me to be completely normal? For once?

He grabbed your shoulders and studied your face for a few seconds before saying:

- There is nothing abnormal about you. 

- But don't you see how happy she was when the angel was finally a human like herself? 

- I don't care, it's just a movie! 

You got off bed and stared at the floor for a second. Turning to look at him you said: 

- I won't be doing this for you, I'll be doing it for myself. 

- Why? Why would you turn yourself into a mortal?

You took a deep breath before you let your thoughts travel down your lips:

- Because I can't bare the idea of watching you die. I can't see you slip away from me while I get to live an endless life full of grieving and sorrow.

- Why are you so concerned about this now? 

- Because... because just when he thought he had her forever she died. Just when he thought he'd live the rest of his life with the person he loves he had to watch her...

He placed his index on your lips and looked into your eyes as he said: 

- If anything happens to me, I know that you'll be there to protect me, right? So we won't have to worry about that now. 

You let out a sigh. It bothered him, you could see it on his face. Nobody was a fan of the death talk, but you needed to let it out. Just the thought of living your immortal life without him broke your heart. Even though the angel in the movie seemed happy about the pleasures of his human life, you knew you wouldn't care about any of it. Your life centered about Taekwoon, and without him you wouldn't want to live life anymore.

Changing the subject, you said:  

- What was the thing Wonsik was talking about?

- What thing?

He frowned as he tried to remember. You waited until you saw the faint shade of pink creep back into his cheeks and you could tell he knew exactly what you meant.

- Wonsik is an idiot, you shouldn't listen to him.

- Was he talking about ?

You blurted out and watched him bite his lip in embarrassment. His face and ears were red and he averted his eyes away from you.

- I think we should sleep.

- Together?

He darted his gaze in your direction but remained silent. 

- Would you want to have with me?

- Do you even know what having means?

He asked carefully.

- I do.

You swallowed hard, preparing yourself for the next question:

- How?

You stared at him for a few seconds, measuring the words in your mouth before saying:

- Do you remember when I told you I was around all the time?

He tilted his head and looked at you in confusion.

- Do you?

He nodded so you said:

- I meant it. I was here, all the time...

You locked your gaze with his, waiting for him to understand what you were hinting at. His eyes widened in surprise as realization hit him.

- So, yes. I know what it means. I've seen you doing it... a couple of times.

- This is...

He stuttered.

- I'm sorry. I just had to tell you.

He sat down on the edge of his bed and stared at the floor as he said:

- How does that make you feel?

- I... I don't know. Weird?

He looked up at you.

- So being an angel isn't great after all, is it?

The corners of your lips lifted up in a tiny smile as you said:

- See? I told you. We go through the weirdest things ever.

You then said: 

- I have to go. 

- What? Where are you going?

- It feels weird to talk about your previous relationships. I just... need to be alone for a bit. But I promise, I'll be back.

Before he could say anything, you disappeared. He called your name a couple of times but you didn't answer. He scratched the back of his head and looked around the room for any trace of you but found nothing. He suddenly heard a knock on his door. He jumped off bed to open the door. His eyes widened in surprise when he found you standing in front of him with a shy smile on your face. 

- What...

- Would you want to do it with me?

He stared at you in disbelief. He didn't expect you to be back this soon. You waited for his answer patiently. 

- I'd love too. 

He pulled you inside the room and closed the door behind you. He lead you toward his bed before cupping your face and asking: 

- Would you want to do it with me?

Your mouth was suddenly dry and your heart felt like bursting in your chest. You gave him a tiny nod and he locked your lips with his without hesitation. He nibbled on your upper lip as his hands supported your back. He broke the kiss to help you lay down on his bed. He hovered over you and kissed you again. You clutched his shirt when his kisses sent shivers down your spine. He pulled out and stared at you as he said:

- Are you sure about this?

You nodded. 

- I'll make you forget everything you saw before this night. 

- Yes please. 

He leaned forward and printed a kiss on your shoulder and then said: 

- I love you more than anything else in this world. 

- I love you too. 

 

-----------------------------

another quick update. I hope you guys are liking where the story is going. Excuse the different style of conversations. I was typing on my phone and forgot that I wrote the previous ones with quotation marks instead of dashes. I hope that's ok with you cause I'm too eager to post this chapter so I got no time to edit that. I really hope you're enjoying this story!