Chapter 3

I'll always be by your side

You were terrified to see Hakyeon staring right at you when you thought nobody could see you. You glared back at him and he smiled when he saw the terrified look on your face. What is he smiling at? 

- I know who you are...

Was all he said and it only scared you more. You pretended not to be there, turning your face away from him to avoid his piercing gaze, he can't be looking at me, he can't see me! 

I can see you. 

You froze in your place for a few seconds before turning to look at him ever so slowly. He nodded and then said: 

- Yes. I can see you. 

- H... how? 

- Because we're similar. Very similar. 

 

 

 

- You're an angel too? 

You asked as you stared at Hakyeon who sat next to you in his human form. You went to the park, now empty since it's past midnight, and thought it would be a good place to talk. Anyone passing by the two of you or hearing your conversation would think you're crazy, but it didn't matter. 

- Yes.

He answered and paused for a few seconds before continuing:

- How come you couldn't tell? I knew you're an angel the second you bumped into me.

- How did you know?

- My aura told me, when yours and mine touched. Humans don't have auras you know. 

You let out a faint 'ah.' He giggled and then said: 

- You don't seem to know much about humans. I wonder what makes you live like one.

You remained silent, your cheeks blushing as you thought of the sole reason that made you live like one. He looked at you and then said: 

- Is it the guy I saw with you earlier?

You darted your gaze in his direction and then nodded. Taekwoon was the only reason you ever considered being among humans. No matter how many of them have passed by your side on a daily basis in the past 15 years, Taekwoon was everything you thought about. You didn't have time to observe other humans when you were busy falling in love with Taekwoon, so of course you didn't know a lot about them. 

- He looks like a nice guy. 

- How do you know?

You asked faintly. 

- Unlike you, I spent a very long time observing humans and learning more and more about them every day. 

- Now that you know my reasons, what are yours? Why are you living as a human?

Hakyeon looked at you before sighing audibly. 

- It's okay if you don't want to talk about it. 

- No no, it's okay... 

He paused for a long time and you waited patiently for his answer, not wanting to urge him. When he finally spoke, he said:

- I fell in love with a human. 

- You too? 

You looked at him and he smiled as he continued:

- Yes. A very long time ago.

- And then what happened?

The smile disappeared and his eyes were filled with sorrow. Your heart dropped and you let out a gasp when he said:

- She got married.

You looked at him sympathetically and your arm found its way around his shoulder, patting him gently. He must have been through a lot, you thought to yourself.

But why? Didn't she like you back?

- No. She didn't like me back. I never had the chance to talk to her. She never knew I existed.  

- You didn't tell her? 

He let out a sigh. 

- No. I was too scared to talk to her, I was afraid she'd reject me. I wasted so much time trying to find enough courage to talk to her until I saw her kiss him. 

You suddenly remembered how you've seen Taekwoon kiss Bora, how you've seen him make love to Euna, how... Your thoughts were interrupted by Hakyeon's sniffing. He was crying. If you haven't had the courage to talk to Taekwoon and go through everything you've been through so far you might have ended up crying over the time you wasted like Hakyeon. 

- I saw her walk the aisle toward him. I stood by her side on her wedding day listening to her read her vows to someone else, someone who is not me and I cried. I cried when he kissed her, I cried when they were announced husband and wife, I cried when they left together, but to no avail. It was over and all I had were my tears and my memories of her. 

You continued patting his back until he was no longer crying. You didn't know what to say to comfort him, but when he stopped crying and looked at you he had a smile on his face. He wiped his tears away and said: 

- But look at you, you're happier than I was, aren't you? 

Your cheeks blushed again and you simply nodded. 

- It must feel good having the person you love return your feelings and love you back. 

- It is. 

- Did you tell him you're an angel or...?

- I did. A while ago.

- Really? And he did he react to it?

- Well... he was shocked of course but then I think he was okay with it. He is no longer bothered by it. 

- That's a relief. 

 

You were both silent for a few seconds until you decided to ask him: 

- But why are you still here? I mean... why are you still living among humans? 

- I... can we not talk about this? At least not now... 

- S... sure... I'm sorry. 

- It's okay. I'll tell you all about it when I feel comfortable enough. 

You looked at him, puzzled. 

- Don't you want to see me again? 

He was in a way suggesting that you meet again. You weren't sure if you wanted to. Well, nothing says you can't. He is a nice guy who would understand you more than anyone else, so why not?

- Of course I do. 

- Well, you know where to find me. 

He said with a wink and you blushed again causing him to chuckle.

 

It was almost morning when you said goodbye to Hakyeon and walked in the opposite direction. It was comforting having this conversation with him, with someone who understood you and shared your experience. You didn't have time to go home but you knew your parents won't be very worried about you since they know you're now busy working and spending time with Taekwoon. You hurried as you walked in the direction of the coffee shop wanting to meet Taekwoon in his room as soon as he gets up. You peeked through the window and noticed he was still asleep. You entered the room and sat on the edge of his bed, still invisible, and watched his chest raise and fall with every breath he took. He looked beautiful, sleeping peacefully with a cute pout on his face. If there was anything you adored about him it was his upper lip. He had a curve on his upper lip causing it to look pouty most of the time and you thought it was very adorable. You changed your form and reached for his lip, brushing it lightly with your finger. You flinched when he stirred in bed and he opened his eyes to see you. 

- Good morning. 

It took him a couple of seconds to answer. 

- Good morning. 

He sat up in bed and asked: 

- Have you been watching me for too long?

You blushed as you shook your head 'no.' 

- I came a minute ago. 

He yawned and you said:

- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you up. 

He wrapped his arm around your waist and pulled you down with him as he lay in bed again. 

- I'm sleepy. 

- I'm sorry. 

He closed his eyes and pulled you closer to him. You didn't know what to do. You wanted to wrap your arms around his middle and bury your face in his chest but your heart was pounding in your chest and you were too shy to even touch him. You placed your arms in front of your body, your fingers barely brushing against his t-shirt.  

- No no it's okay. I need to get up anyway.

He looked at the clock on the wall before saying: 

- Renovations will start in two hours and I need to empty my room. 

- Do you need help?

He turned his face and looked at you. 

- Don't you have to go to work? And... why do you look so uncomfortable? Do you dislike this? 

He slowly pulled his arm away but you hurriedly said: 

- No. I'm just... shy. 

- I'm sorry. I should have asked you first. 

- Actually... I've always wanted to do this... but now I feel...

- What? You can tell me. 

- I feel strange. I am not used to being touched like this. I'm not used to being touched. This is a new concept to me. Your... your body always feels warm and I like it but at the same time it feels a bit strange. 

- Should I stop hugging you then? I mean if it's bothering you...

- No! I mean... it's not bothering me. I... I like it when you... hug me. It makes me feel... safe. 

You said as you lowered your eyes avoiding his gaze and you could feel your cheeks blushing heavily. He tightened his hold around your body and you were forced to hide your face in his chest. 

- Then I should hug you more until you get used to it. 

- I think so. 

You wrapped your arms around his middle and he shifted to look at you. He printed a peck on your temple and you closed your eyes and inhaled his scent as you smiled to yourself. Your heart was still pounding in your chest, but it suddenly stopped beating altogether when he whispered: 

- I love you. 

Before you could say it, before you could tell him how much you loved him, how much you waited for a moment like this, you heard a knock on his door. You disappeared immediately and watched as his mother opened the door and entered. 

- You're awake! 

He sat up in bed before answering: 

- Yes. 

- Okay then, eat your breakfast and then start packing, the workers will be hear in two hours or so. 

- I will. 

- I'll see you downstairs.

She left the room and closed the door behind her. You changed your shape and nudged his shoulder. He flinched and you giggled at the expressions on his face. 

- I'm sorry. 

- It's okay. I will get used to it one day. 

He smiled as he got off bed. 

- Should I help you around?

- No no. I'll do it myself. You need to go to work. 

- Are you sure? 

- Yes. 

- Okay then. Meet me downstairs in a second. 

- Why? 

- I... I need the phone.

- Oh, I almost forgot. I'll meet you in a second. 

 

 

You left his room and entered the coffee shop using the front door. You saw him coming downstairs with the phone in his hand. You greeted his mother before turning to him. 

- Good morning. 

He stared at you for a second before saying: 

- Good morning. 

He handed you the phone and then said: 

- Don't forget to call me when you get to work. And during the break. And whenever you need anything. 

You smiled at him and then blushed when his mother said: 

- Why don't you just go with her? 

He turned to look at her and then looked at you in embarrassment. You took the phone and then said: 

- I'll call you. 

You waved at him and his mother before leaving the coffee shop. You giggled when you heard him whine to his mother about embarrassing him in front of you. 

 

 

You called him as soon as you arrived to the flower shop and he apologized about his mother's comment. You told him it was okay and he shouldn't be apologizing about it. You then said you'll call him during the break and hung up before busying yourself with work. 

Almost an hour later you looked up at the new customer and saw a familiar face. 

- Hi there!

- Hello! Wonsik right? 

- Yes. You're Taekwoon's girlfriend, right?

You nodded and he said: 

- He said I could find you here. 

- Is there anything I can help you with?

- I wanted to invite you to my sister's birthday party next week. I told Taekwoon and he said you might want to come. He said it'll help you meet new people and make new friends. 

- Oh this sounds exciting! 

- So you'll come?

- Definitely! Thank you for inviting me. 

- You're welcome. I'll go now. See you later. 

As soon as he left the shop you saw another familiar face. You smiled when you saw Hakyeon entering the shop. 

- Hey!

He was almost yelling and you could see a few customers looking in his direction. He walked up to you and hugged you, leaving you surprised at the sudden display of affection. You pulled out of the hug awkwardly and he said: 

- I missed you! 

He grinned and you looked around and said: 

- I can hear you. Why are you yelling?

- I'm not yelling. 

- You're too loud.

- Sorry. 

He then whispered: 

- How have you been?

You laughed and he laughed back before saying: 

- Did you meet your boy this morning?

- Are you stalking me? 

- No no. But you look too happy and your aura is beaming.

- Really? Can you see it? 

He chuckled. 

- Of course I can. 

You stared at him for a couple of seconds before saying: 

- Then why can't I see your aura? 

His smile disappeared and sorrow was back into his eyes. 

- I'm... sorry. 

- It's okay. 

He paused and then said: 

- Are you free tonight? At around 11?

- I think so.

- Can we meet at the park then? I want to talk to you about something. 

- Sure. I'll be there at 11. 

- Thank you. 

You looked at him as he left the shop and disappeared into the crowd without noticing Wonsik looking at the two of you from a distance. He was surprised when he saw Hakyeon hug you and then chat with you and leave without ordering anything. He was a bit confused and didn't know if this was worth telling to Taekwoon. After all, this guy could be a relative, he thought to himself before walking away.

 

You were busy taking orders and writing cards until it was break time. A co-worker approached you before you could go on your break. 

- I'm sorry. Can I ask you to do me a favor?

- Sure. What is it?

- I need to meet my mother now and I am not allowed to go on a break since I arrived late. Is it okay if you cover for me this time only? I'd really appreciate it if you can. 

- Yes sure. It's not a problem.

- Thank you so much! I'll make it up to you, I promise. 

- You're welcome. Don't worry about that. 

- Thank you!

She took her apron off hurriedly and left the shop after thanking you three more times. You waved at her as she left and then went back on to taking orders, completely forgetting about the call you promised Taekwoon. But he didn't forget. He called you three times and sent you a text message which you only saw when your shift was over. As soon as you entered the changing room and took your apron off, you opened your locked to take your phone out. You suddenly remembered not having called Taekwoon. When you checked your phone and saw the missed calls you bit your lip before dialing his number. 

- H... hello?

- Where have you been? Are you okay?

- I'm sorry.

- Are you okay?

He asked again. 

- Yes yes. I'm okay. 

He sighed audibly before asking: 

- Why didn't you call me? I was so worried! I wanted to leave the coffee shop and come to you but the place was packed. 

- I'm so sorry. I didn't take a break and completely forgot about calling you. I'm sorry. 

He sighed again and then said: 

- Where are you now?

- I'm about to leave the shop. 

- Okay. Did you decide what movie to watch?

Movie? Sh*t! I forgot!

You were silent so he said: 

- Did you forget about our date too? 

- No no I didn't forget. I just... can't think of any movie. 

- I checked the schedule. The Great Gatsby will start at 8, Iron Man at 9, and Les Miserable at 11. 

- What are those?

- The first is a romantic drama, the second is action and the third is a musical. 

- Well, I can't watch the one at 11. When does the one at 9 finish?

- Why? What do you have at 11? 

Should I tell him about Hakyeon? Probably not, at least not now. 

- I... I just can't be late. 

- Oh okay, then we'll watch The Great Gatsby. I think it will finish at 10 or so, is that okay?

- Yes, that's fine. 

- Okay then, hurry. I'm waiting for you. 

 

You hung up, hung the apron inside your locker and left the shop walking in the direction of the cafe. You were thinking of the thing Hakyeon wanted to talk to you about. Could it be the reason behind the sorrow in his eyes and his fading aura? Is this what happened to an angel who gets stuck in an unrequited love? If Taekwoon stops loving you, will your aura fade? Will you end up living in misery like Hakyeon? You shook your head trying to get those ideas off. Taekwoon loves me, you reassured yourself. He will never stop loving me. When you saw him smiling at you as you were getting closer to the coffee shop you knew sorrow will never find it's way into your heart.