Chapter 1

I'll always be by your side

Taekwoon stirred in bed and then opened his eyes slowly when he noticed the other side of the bed was empty. He remembered having you in his arms before dozing off, but he was surprised to wake up to an empty bed and an empty room. 

- Where did she go? 

He saw you coming out of the bathroom and sighed in relief. You walked in his direction and sat on the edge of the bed next to him. He looked at you for a couple of seconds before asking:

- Did you sleep well? 

It took you a few seconds to form an answer. 

- I don't know. 

His expressions changed and he looked both surprised and concerned. He asked shyly: 

- Why? Did I snore? 

- Snore? No no. 

- What is it then? Did I move a lot? 

- No no. It's just that... I haven't slept before. 

 

Your face was burning as you avoided his gaze. You realized things weren't as easy as you thought they'd be. By revealing your true identity to him, you were assuming it'll go smoothly after that. But you forgot about all the things you have to explain. You recalled the conversation you had with him before sleeping as you lay next to him. 

- We're not very different from humans. I have one older sister and I live with my family. We do things differently but we also share some similarities with you.  

He looked astonished when you told him that you don't really have to eat or drink, you don't have to work to earn money and you definitely don't need to buy anything with money. He couldn't believe that the food you eat as a human simply disappears when you shift to your angelic form. 

- As simple as that?

You nodded. 

- I need to get used to that. 

He said while smiling reassuringly and you smiled back. Although everything you said left him speechless, he was ready to listen to more of it, trying to find solutions for any difficulties this relationship would face. You spent a couple of hours talking to him and answering his questions. Spending a long time in your human form, having this conversation with him, made you feel tired. Dozing off wasn't something you have experienced before. Being in his arms as you lay next to him was something you've always wanted. You wanted to feel the warmth of his body and you wanted to be so close to him while he could see you, look at you, and talk to you. You could only keep your eyes open for a few more minutes before sleep took over your body and you surrendered to it, closing your eyes and falling asleep.  

When you woke up you weren't aware of anything. It took you a couple of seconds to realize you were still in Taekwoon's room. What woke you up? It was the first time you have ever tried sleeping like humans, so after a couple of hours of your body being still and motionless, you lost control over it and you subconsciously shifted to your angelic form. You couldn't remain motionless for a long time. It wasn't something you've experienced before. The state of sleeping was new to you and you were left fairly confused with it. You shifted again once you realized what happened and found that Taekwoon was still sleeping. Not wanting to wake him up, you decided to look around his room for a bit, waiting for him to wake up on his own. You went inside the bathroom to take a look at yourself. You weren't used to looking at yourself in the mirror, so it still made you feel weird doing so. But this time you did it to ensure that you looked good when Taekwoon wakes up. You heard a noise coming from his room so you walked out of the bathroom to find him looking for you. 

 

 

He looked puzzled by what you said and you felt the need to explain things to him: 

- We don't have to sleep so I can't describe how it felt like. 

Seeing the troubled expressions on your face, Taekwoon put his arm around your shoulder and said: 

- Do you feel tired? Do you feel bothered? Why did you wake up? 

He was trying to explain to you how a good sleep felt and you appreciated it. This relationship is going to be very complicated. 

You answered while looking at him and waiting for his reaction: 

- I don't feel tired or bothered. I woke up because I lost control over myself and... shifted to my original shape. 

Even though he was trying to make you feel less nervous, things were more complicated than both of you could imagine. He tried to hide his confusion but you could see it in his eyes. He has the right to be confused, even scared. Has he ever seen someone changing shapes so effortlessly? No. He is going to need a lot of time to comprehend everything you do and you were hoping he'd be able to cope with you eventually.  

- Oh... How do you do that by the way? How do you change your shape? 

He sounded more curious than surprised and you felt a bit relieved. 

- Um... I just... think about it? I don't have to focus much and I'm used to it by now it happens in less than a second. 

You paused for a second before asking:

- Do you want to see it? 

He looked at you, his expressions unreadable. 

- Do you still feel weird about it? 

He scratched the back of his head and then said: 

- Not weird, just... I don't know how to describe this. 

 

You suddenly heard a knock on his door and disappeared before his sister opened the door. 

- I thought you had company. 

He took a quick glance to where you were sitting and then said:

- Ah no. I am alone. 

- Breakfast is ready. 

- I'll be down in a second. 

She closed the door and left and he looked around for you. You appeared behind him and nudged his shoulder causing him to flinch. You giggled when you saw him get startled by your touch and he smiled at you. 

- Do I have to get used to your sudden appearance? 

- I'd love to stop scaring you but I don't know how. 

- Don't worry about it. I'll get used to it eventually.

He stood up and said:

- I'll be back in a bit. 

- Take your time. I need to go see my parents. 

- Oh... when will you come back then? 

You thought for a second before replying: 

- I am not sure, but it won't take long. 

He pecked your cheek quickly before saying: 

- I'll miss you. 

You blushed and he was gone before you could say anything. 

 

 

 

- Are you happy now? 

You sister asked when she saw your bright smile as you told her and your mother about Taekwoon, and that he finally acknowledged your feelings and actually returned them. 

- Very. 

Your mother your back and smiled at you without saying anything. She looked at you smiling happily and watching you as you talked about Taekwoon. 

- Now what?

Your sister asked and you exchanged looks with your mother before asking:

- What do you mean? 

- What's next? 

You were still confused so she said: 

- Their life is different than ours, do you think you will cope with all the differences?

- I talked to him about it and he said he'll help me with it. He is very understanding. 

- But he still feels weird about you, doesn't he? 

You stared at her and she said: 

- I am sorry but I was very worried about you.

- You were there? 

You exclaimed and she answered: 

- I said I was sorry. You didn't come back for days and we were very worried. I didn't mean to eavesdrop. 

You paused for a second before saying:

- You don't need to be worried anymore. 

You then sighed audibly when you remembered her question:  

- And yes, he still feels weird. 

She rested her hand on your shoulder as she said: 

- Listen to me, you are different. You are not a human, you're an angel. But if he loves you the way you are, he will no longer feel weird about you. 

- Do you think so?

- Yes. But you can't keep spending the whole day with him. 

- What do you mean?

- You have to act like a human, you need to be like them, eat like them, sleep like them, work like them. If you spend the whole day doing nothing and just being with him he'll get bored of you. 

- Bored? But I never felt bored of seeing him. 

- Because you're an angel. The concept of time is very different for you. You've been around him for 15 years, haven't you?

You nodded and she continued: 

- But it feels like a day, doesn't it? 

She said and you realized that she was right. When you think of all the times you've seen Taekwoon, all the things you watched him do, it definitely doesn't feel like 15 years, or even a year. Being immortal meant that time was a very fluid concept to you. No matter how many years have passed, it still felt like a week, or even a day. But for him, 15 years meant exactly 15 years, more than five thousand days, more than one hundred thousand hours. 

- What should I do then? 

- Stay away from him for a while. Don't spend too much time with him. 

You were trying to think of something to help you stay away from him when she said:

- Didn't you start working at the flower shop? Are you going to just disappear or will you quit?

- I don't know. What do you think I should do?

- I think you should go back to it. Working there will help you stay busy. And you'll see how he'll start missing you.

- Do you think so?

- Trust me, he will miss you, very much. 

 

 

 

- Hello.

You entered the flower shop with your original shape, the shape you met Taekwoon with the first time you entered the cafe as a human. You couldn't go back to the shop as Jaerim and then switch to your first shape to meet with Taekwoon. Your sister suggested you stick to one shape, avoiding confusion and any possible accidents of you entering the cafe and talking to Taekwoon in the 'Jaerim' shape. That would be really awkward! 

- I'm sorry but I am here to inform you that my cousin Jaerim will no longer be able to work here. Her parents moved out of town and she asked me to apologize to you and ask if you needed someone to fill in her place. 

The owner looked at you for a couple of seconds before saying: 

- We're sorry she had to leave, but yes, we definitely need help around the shop. 

- Then can I take her job? 

- That would be great! Do you need me to show you around?

- Yes, thank you! 

 

You followed her as she showed you around the shop and told you a little about each type of flowers, how to write cards and how to take orders. Although you were familiar with everything she said, you had to pretend it was all new to you since you came as a completely different person. 

 

You spent the rest of the day taking orders and answering phone calls as a start. You looked around the shop and saw how busy your coworkers were and you suddenly remembered Taekwoon and how he seems busy working at the coffee shop. You took a quick look at the clock on the wall and sighed when you realized you had another hour before being able to leave. A phone started ringing and you saw one of your coworkers pick her phone up and move to a quite room inside the shop. You could hear her conversation with her boyfriend and you felt jealous at her being able to talk to him over the phone while you had to wait another hour. You remembered how you managed to distract Taekwoon every time he asked if he could have your phone number, simply because you didn't have a phone. It was probably time for you to get a phone and give your number to Taekwoon so you could call him whenever you missed him, like right now... 

 

You finished your shift, greeted your coworkers and headed toward the coffee shop in anticipation. Does he miss me? Probably not, because if he did he would have passed by the flower shop... but he doesn't know I'm back to working there yet... I should get a cell phone as soon as possible. 

You couldn't stop thinking of how things would be if you really got a cell phone when you noticed Wonsik entering the cafe. You followed him and saw him hug Taekwoon and greet him before greeting his parents. Taekwoon noticed you standing by the door and waved it you before walking in your direction followed by Wonsik. 

- Where have you been? I missed you. 

He said before hugging you and then pulling back to introduce you to Wonsik. 

- This is Wonsik, my best friend. Wonsik, this is [Y/N], my girlfriend. 

- Taekwoon talks about you all the time. 

You blushed and then giggled when Taekwoon smacked Wonsik's head causing the younger boy to cry in pain. 

- Well, he talks about you all the time too. 

You said causing Wonsik to scratch the back of his head in embarrassment as he asked: 

- Does he say nice things though?

- Yes, don't worry. 

You were all silent for a second until Wonsik said: 

- But I never imagined you'd be this pretty. 

Taekwoon smacked him again saying: 

- Are you trying to hit on my girl? 

- How is Jiwon?

You asked and Taekwoon darted his gaze in your direction. You weren't supposed to know about Jiwon, and definitely not about the mall accident. But he managed to blurt out: 

- She visited me at the hospital and knew about the accident. I told her Jiwon was also at the hospital. 

Wonsik let out an 'oh' and you sighed internally. 

- She is better now. If it wasn't for Taekwoon, we might have lost her. 

His eyes were getting teary and it surprised you how emotional he became when talking about his sister. 

- I'm glad she is fine now. Maybe one day we can all go out for lunch or something. I really want to meet her. 

Taekwoon smiled as he said: 

- Wonsik doesn't let her meet with boys. 

Wonsik's cheeks turned a bright shade of pink as he said: 

- But you're already taken, so it's okay. 

Taekwoon wrapped his arm around your middle pulling you closer to him as he said: 

- Yes I'm taken. 

 

 

 

Three hours later, as you sat next to Taekwoon in his room, he asked you: 

- Where have you been all day?

- I went to see my parents and then I went to work. 

- Work?

- Did you forget that I'm working at a flower shop?

He looked at you, puzzled. 

- But you said you don't have to work. 

- Yes, but I feel bored doing nothing all day and I really like it at the flower shop. The people there are really nice. 

- Why don't you work here then?

You looked at him and you could notice the light shade of red covering his cheeks and ears. 

- Here? 

He nodded and you said: 

- But I've just joined the flower shop as me... I mean I used to work there with my... other shape and I can't just quit again. 

You remained silent for a second realizing that you have said so many strange things in one sentence. You looked at him expecting to see the cofused look on his face, but instead you were faced with disappointment. 

- I really missed you today. I wish there was a chance I could talk to you whenever I missed you. 

It's the cell phone talk again. But this time, you had a suggestion. 

- How about I get a cell phone and give you my number? You'll have to teach me how to use it since I'm not familiar with it at all. Then we can talk whenever we want to.

You smiled shyly at him and he said: 

- This sounds like a very good idea. Shall we go tomorrow to buy you one?

- We? I can take care of this myself. 

- Are you sure? I mean... have you ever seen a cell phone before?

He was right. You've never see a cell phone closely before.

- No. 

- Then we'll go together and I'll pick you one that matches mine. We could also get couple straps if you want. 

- This sounds great. Thank you. 

You pecked his cheeks before standing up and getting ready to leave. 

- Do you really have to go? 

Not really, you wanted to say. Being with him was your sole purpose in life but you remembered your sister's words and you definitely didn't want him to get bored of you.  

- I'm sorry, but my parents get really worried about me when I don't go back home so I have to go. But I'll meet you tomorrow after work. 

- After work? But that's very late. 

- If I manage to pass by the coffee shop on my way to work, I will. 

His hands found their way on your waist and he pulled you closer as he said: 

- Please do. I want my day to start with you. 

He planted a kiss on your temple and you promised to come see him before going to work. He wished you a good night and you asked him to close his eyes before you disappeared. You stayed behind, invisible, and waited for him to change and go to bed before going back home, the image of him sleeping peacefully never leaving your mind.