Chapter 3~

~Angel~

You looked at the girl, you recognized her, she was the girl who mistook you for Jen at the supermarket.

You were surprised she knew Kai. You wondered how she knew Kai and she's now talking to him.
 'What a coincidence!' You thought.
'He was too nervous earlier maybe...'

A text from Sun Mi took you out of thinking.
"They just hugged each other! N she's super cute! Never seen her before, girl you have to face a strong opponent"

"Maybe they're friends?"

"Mmmh a very very good friend then"

If Sun Mi was right you just had to forfeit. When you saw her, she was indeed super cute, and when she cried she seemed sincere, 'just like an angel...'. You knew you had no chance to fit in Kai's style but you tried too much to go back now.

"I'll have to defeat her then"

"Nice answer girl! I totally support you ;)"

That day after talking to Sun Mi you just stayed in your room waiting for Kai's return but he never showed up. You went to sleep not knowing if everything was going good for him.

『Monday』
Kai was late as always, he came for the second hour of class of the morning. It was surprising, even though he doesn't assist much class he has good marks. Unlike you who worked hard and just ended up with D or C if you were lucky.

'A way to approach him: asking for help with classes'
You were decided to talk to him before the end of the day, and because you were neighbors, there would be no problem to have one or two hours to work. And Kai don't go outside much.

At the lunch time, you saw Kai waiting for his driver to go out eat. You approached him and said hi!

He turned his head to you.
"Hi! Hyun Ni! How are you today?"
Looking at you, you saw him a little surprised or shocked, you couldn't tell. Today you had make up on and a beautiful haircut made by your aunt, and a dress.

"I'm going good! I was wondering if you could help me with classes... You have good marks, we're neighbors, and I really need help."

He didn't answer, too busy looking at you. With his shiny and a little bit sad eyes, he was looking at your face, your hair, the smile of yours.
Embarrassed you waved at him.

"Kai? Did you hear me?"

"I can't sorry"
His driver came at that moment and he took place in the car, letting you hanging alone.

Sun Mi came not knowing to say.
'Was I just rejected? I didn't even ask him out, just to help me a little...'
You felt miserable. 

You didn't talk to Kai anymore, it was no need, he wouldn't help anyway. You tried to think why it didn't work so you can do better the next time. But what next time? Kai was just too far to reach, he was high above and you had no way to go to him. With Angel, the girl who hugged him and Kai that's not interested in you at all you couldn't think of a clue to progress.

Wednesday after a day full of tests you came home alone, you and your  brother didn't talk for days, you were annoyed by this situation but you couldn't let Kai go, even if he's angry. That feeling you had, yet new, yet familiar, you knew yourself it had a deep meaning. You just wanted to feel it, loving someone made your days much better, make your plain life happier.
Coming in your room, you saw a red letter on your bed. Not sure of what it was, you opened it to see an invitation.

"Mrs Ra, 
I'm celebrating my 50's birthday this Saturday, as a very good friend and neighbor I wish you to come with someone to party with us.
Hope we'll meet on Saturday.
Mrs Kim"

You didn't see who it was and why this letter ended up on your bed. It was said to be a neighbor, surely someone you never seen before. You only know Kai when it comes to neighboring.
You decided to ask your aunt for the letter.

"Oh you saw it! Yes! I'm planning on going with you, your mom works on weekends and your brother has training, and I don't want to go alone."

"Ah okay! If you want me to go then it'll be with pleasure aunty ! " you replied all smiles. 
She was too kind to refuse, she took you shopping and all without refusing and payed it all, the last thing you'd do was to refuse.

"And plus, you'll see Kai! If that's not a happy thing!"

"K-Kai?"

"It's his mom's birthday! And I saw how you were looking at him, aunty knows well that feeling, he's good looking and rich, what would you want more?"

"Aunty, what are you saying? It's not like that!"

"Don't try to fool me little girl, I've been young too you know! Well on Saturday let's get you the most beautiful dress! Let's go shopping friday!"

She was too happy about this, but you just realized that you'll have to face him again, the first time you tried to look pretty didn't work much, maybe this time?


Like always you were spying the neighbors while waiting for your aunt to get prepared, when you saw cars entering the mansion. Some rich people with elegance where walking towards the gate.
One of the girls, who were with a beautiful dress, you recognized as the girl who didn't let you seat the first day was holding Kai's arm. He was there with her looking all happy and smiling to everyone.
'Impossible' you thought, 'this can't be...'

Shocked with what you saw you were calling Sun Mi.
"Kai, he's... He's just.. With that girl.."
Tears were about to fall when your aunt took the phone.

"How shameless you are! You shouldn't be there crying! Don't even cry!"

She was rude, you didn't know why, you were surprised at her words.

"I mean" she softened "I made you beautiful today, be more confident and never show your weaknesses. Always stand still and grab your chance!"
She was indeed the best aunt you could have, she was more a friend than an aunt.

You texted Sun Mi to explain and went out to the party. You were presented as the niece of Mrs Ra, one of the most powerful women in the country after her husband died. Your aunt was that kind of woman, ambitious. While your mom was just the total opposite, liking the simple things.

As you came to Mrs Kim, you wished her happy birthday as distinguished as your aunt taught you to be. 
It sure didn't go good because she was staring at you in a very weird way. 

"Didn't we meet before?" She finally asked.
"Oh no I don't think so Madam"
"She's my niece" your aunt came to rescue as you felt embarrassed.
"Sorry, I thought you were someone else! Maybe I have to go see an ophthalmologist! Thank you for coming! Don't be shy, I'll ask Kai to accompany you so that you won't be all alone. You knew each other right?"
"I-"
"They're in the same class and the time he  was dining at home they talked!"

Your aunt knows how to embarrass you, but you were sure it was her meaning to "grab your chance".

Kai approached, he was all elegant with his black suit, flawless hair and that smile!
Your heart was beating too loud you were afraid everyone heard it. 

"Mrs Ra, miss Hyun Ni" he bowed slightly showing his respects.

'How polite' you thought.

"Kai, take Hyun Ni with you, she'll annoy herself if she stays with the old ones!" She said laughing.
You laughed too as Kai and your aunt.

"Hyun Ni?" He asked with his manly voice. He offered his arm. 

'He just offered his arm to me! I can right? I can hold his arm?'
Seeing you lost, he took your arm gently and put it on his. 'How gentleman'.
It was just for a second but he was touching you. It was like a dream being with him.

"Do you know how to dance?"
"Uh? I, with my brother... Only once..."
"Good, let's dance then"

You made much mistakes but then he didn't seem to be annoyed. He rather helped you to follow his lead. 

"Just this dance, I'll make you mine..." He whispered. 

Your face reddened. 
'What did he just say? Did I mistake it?'

Seeing you embarrassed he whispered again.

"Don't be that tense, you would dance better, just think of me as your man, you'll do better"

"How... How could I..."

"Huh?" He seemed surprised.

"You being my man... How could I even imagine that?"

How could you? You knew very well that it was almost impossible for that to happen. And imagining it wouldn't bring it real, it would just hurt when you had to go back to reality. 
He sighed heavily.

"Fine then... Let's eat something, you must be hungry..."

He let go of your hands and led you to the buffet. As expected it was royal. 

"I'm sorry I have to go, but I wish you to enjoy the party."

You were surprised, he just left like that in the middle of the party. And more importantly, you were now alone.

The night went miserably when Kai left you alone. You then excused yourself and lied about having some important homework to deal with to come back home. 

As you were about to enter the gate, a guy ran to you. 

"Jen!"

That name again, it was not the first time you heard it.
As about one meter apart, he stopped and examined you. You felt uneasy, who could it be? And why was he looking at you like that?

"Amazing..."
After minutes of awkward silence he finally spoke out.

"Wishes could get real..." 
As those words came out of his mouth, he almost collapsed, he found himself sitting on the ground. 

"Are you okay?" 
You panicked, how could a grown man like that collapse just in front of you?

"I'm fine, I'm fine... I'm just too happy I could die..."

"Uh mister..."

"Chanyeol!"

"Huh?"

"I'm Chanyeol!"

"Ah mister Chanyeol... I heard you call me Jen earlier but I think you mistook me for someone else... I'm sorry but I'm not Jen." 
As you were about to leave him, he laughed awkwardly.

"Kai, this jerk... So he didn't lie after all, he was not the fool everyone thought of him..."

You stopped, he was just talking about Kai, he knew Kai and he was also talking about a lie.. You were wondering why would it have something to do with that you.

"Oh and miss, I'm not mistaken at all. See you then!" 
He waved at you and walked back to the opposite direction.

'He must be drunk... There's no other explanation"

You were dumbfounded and tired, too many things happened to you lately. And you were twice mistaken by that Jen... And Chanyeol even said that it was not a mistake. 
Once was a coincidence but twice must mean there's something beside it. 
You sure had to dig in, you were too interested, but maybe not tonight. You went to bed after a long day.

「TBC」