6

The Gonam Middle School Vampire

I woke up the next night. Kyungri and Euaerin were sat listening to the radio. The news was on again.

"After the death of Lee Jonghyun, his parents are searching for Lee Jieun, who has been reported as missing for months. The last known evidence that she is alive is the phone call she made which summoned the emergency services for her brother, but when they got there she was nowhere to be seen. If anyone has seen her, they are urged to tell the police."

I sighed and covered my head with my pillow. Kyungri seemed to notice and came over, taking the pillow away. She lay next to me and hugged me tightly.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Bad." I mumbled, hiding my face against her chest.

"It takes a while to overcome the initial feelings of losing someone you love." Euaerin said. "But you'll be okay soon."

"I didn't mean to kill him..." I sighed. "It was an accident."

"We know, you don't need to worry about it." Kyungri said, my hair slowly.

"Anyway Jieun, it's time for you to feed again." Euaerin stood up and walked towards the door. "Come on."

I got up slowly and put my shoes on, then we all left the apartment together. A few minutes later, we found ourselves at another hotel. Kyungri picked the lock of one of the rooms and I went in, fed from the sleeping human inside then left.

"We need to feed too." Kyungri said, tugging Euaerin's arm.

"Hm... True." Euaerin said.

They picked the locks of two other rooms and went in. I walked around the corridors of the hotel for a while before I heard a voice behind me.

"Jieun? Is that you?" I recognised the voice as my mother's.

"No... I'm not Jieun." I said, keeping my hood up to cover my face.

I tried to keep walking but she grabbed me and turned me around, pulling my hood down.

"You are Jieun." She said. "Where have you been? Why did you do it?"

"It doesn't matter where I've been. I didn't mean to hurt him. Mother, let me go." I said, trying to pull my arm away from her.

"Jieun?" Another voice came from around the corner. It was Kyungri's. "Jieun, there you-- What's going on?"

"Is that the murderer Jonghyun said you've been with?" My mother asked.

"Let go of her." Kyungri said, coming closer.

"She is my daughter. You can't tell me what to do." My mother hissed at Kyungri.

"Mother, please... Just let go." I said, looking up at her.

Suddenly, Euaerin appeared and grabbed my mother from behind. She whispered something to her that made her pass out, then she put her back in her room and we left.

"Okay... No more hotels." Euaerin said as we walked out. "We should leave Seoul."

"And go where?" Kyungri asked.

"Well... I heard Minha's in Japan. We could find her there and stay with her for a while." Euaerin said, shrugging.

So, that's what we did. We returned to the apartment to collect some of our possessions, then we left for Japan. We got on a boat and even though it took couple of days or so, we made it to Japan. Euaerin found where Minha was and we started the trip to Tokyo. We ended up in another hotel. Euaerin knocked on the door and Minha answered.

"What's the special occasion?" Minha asked, letting us in.

"We had to leave Seoul and you were the only person who was close by." Kyungri said, shrugging as she sat on the bed.

"Why did you have to leave? Did one of you kill someone?" Minha asked.

"Well, it was accidental, but yes. And also, Kyungri's still a wanted criminal and Jieun was reported as missing."  Euaerin said, patting Minha's head.

"I'm not staying in this hotel for long. I was just here for a meeting I had to attend." Minha said. "But you can all come with me to wherever I'm going next."

"We just need to stay away from Korea for a while." I said.

"That's understandable. When I left my family when I became a vampire, I couldn't return to Korea until they were all dead." Minha said. "But that was because my family was very rich. They had people looking for me all the time."

We sat down and talked for a while. Soon, the subject changed to the others.

"So, have you heard from Sera and Hyuna?" Euaerin asked.

"I think they went to Canada for a while." Minha said, shrugging. "I heard that they're engaged, too."

"Well, we all saw that one coming anyway..." Kyungri mumbled, resting her head against my shoulder.

"I wonder if we'll get an invite to their wedding. We're probably the only friends they have anyway." Euaerin snorted.

"I'm sure they had friends before any of us were even alive." Minha said.

"I'm almost four hundred years old, I've known them for a while. They've never been sociable." Euaerin said.

"Minha, where are you going to next?" Kyungri asked.

"Hm... Probably to some forest or mountain. I might go to a different country. I don't know yet." Minha said. "Why are you asking anyway? Is there somewhere you want to go?"

"No, not really. I don't mind where we go." Kyungri shrugged, then hugged me tightly and yawned.

"Well, we could go to Canada and see Sera and Hyuna?" Minha suggested.

"They don't usually like surprise visits, but I think it'd be funny." Euaerin said, grinning.

"So, Canada then?" Minha asked, looking at me and Kyungri.

We both nodded.

 

We left the hotel that night and began the long journey. Luckily, Minha had a friend called Hoon who was a pilot, so he flew us to a place in America close to Canada. From there, we travelled in the night until we got into Canada. Euaerin managed to track where Sera and Hyuna were, and soon we were in the middle of a forest searching for them.

"We've been looking for days..." Kyungri groaned. "My feet are killing me."

"There's no point in stopping now." Euaerin said.

"But I'm tired..." Kyungri sighed, clinging onto me.

"Wait, look over there." Minha said, pointing to a faint light in the distance. "That might be them."

We walked quickly and found a small cabin. The lights were on. Euaerin moved stealthily towards the window and peered in, then gave us a thumbs up, meaning Sera and Hyuna were inside.

"I'll knock!" Kyungri said, running to the door. She knocked three times.

"Where do you need directions to-- Kyungri?" Hyuna had answered the door, and was looking very confused.

"Who is it?!" Sera yelled from inside the cabin.

"IT'S ME!" Kyungri screeched, almost deafening Hyuna.

A few seconds later, Sera appeared at the door. "Kyungri!"

"Are you two just going to ignore the rest of us?" Euaerin asked, frowning.

"Don't be stupid." Hyuna said, then she held the door open wider. "Come in."

We all entered and sat down on one of the large couches.

"So, what are you all doing here?" Sera asked.

"It's a long story..." Euaerin said.

"Did one of you kill someone?" Hyuna asked, tilting her head.

"I killed my brother..." I sighed, looking down. "It was an accident. I only went to see him to tell him to stop looking for me, but he wouldn't let me leave, so.." I stopped, feeling tears roll down my cheeks.

"You don't need to say anymore." Kyungri whispered, pulling me closer into her arms.

"...I understand why you would want to stay away from Korea." Sera said quietly, then she looked over at Hyuna who simply nodded.

"Anyway, what's this I hear about you two being engaged?" Euaerin asked with a grin.

"Oh, who told you?" Sera asked quickly before Hyuna could say anything.

"I can't remember. I just remember hearing it from someone." Euaerin shrugged.

"Hyuna, go and check on the cats." Sera said, looking at Hyuna who seemed to have a frustrated expression.

"Fine.." Hyuna grumbled, then she got up and walked off into another room.

"I think the sun will be coming up soon." Minha said, looking out of the window at the sky which was getting brighter.

"I can get you all some blankets, you can sleep in here." Sera said, then she got up and ran off into the other room.

"Are you okay?" Kyungri asked me, frowning.

"Yeah, I just get upset when I think about my brother..." I let out a soft sigh, looking up at her.

"Don't be upset, life goes on." She said with a smile, then she hugged me tightly.

Just then, Sera came in again with a lot of blankets and pillows. "Make yourselves comfortable. You can get things to eat in the kitchen. Have a nice rest." Then she was gone again.

"I'm getting the couch!" Euaerin yelled, pushing me and Kyungri off, then she dived all over the couch. "Minha, there's still room, quick!"

Minha dived next to Euaerin as well, then they both giggled.

"We're fine with sleeping on the floor, aren't we Jieun?" Kyungri grinned, then she threw the two smallest blankets and flattest pillows to Euaerin and Minha, leaving the largest blankets and best pillows for us.

"God, you're mean." Minha groaned, pulling a blanket over herself.

"Close the curtains before you two get comfy." Euaerin mumbled, then she pulled the other blanket over herself and rolled over and fell asleep.

I got up and closed the curtains and turned the lights off before curling up next to Kyungri.

"Psst. Jieun." Kyungri wiggled closer to me.

I rolled over and looked at her. "Yes?"

"Those two are asleep. I want to kiss." She said.

"What if they wake up?" I asked, frowning.

Kyungri shook her head. "They won't." Then she leant closer and pressed her lips against mine.

We kissed for so long I lost track of time. It was only when Kyungri's hand was up my shirt that I realised what we were doing, and apparently so did Euaerin.

"Can you two be any louder? Did you forget there are other people trying to sleep here? Go and have somewhere else..." Euaerin grumbled angrily, then she went quiet.

Kyungri giggled, pulling me close against her.

"Let's sleep." She said, closing her eyes.

We both managed to fall asleep a while later for the rest of the day, waiting for night to come.