2

The Gonam Middle School Vampire

I woke up. I was confused at first. I didn't remember why I was in my car, but then I remembered the events from the previous day. That was when I heard a snore from below and a grumble. Kyungri rolled over, tugging her hood over her face. I quickly covered her with my blanket, remembering how vampires don't like the sun. I quietly got out of the car and opened up the trunk, taking out a sandwich I'd forgotten to eat yesterday. As I was eating, the back door of the car opened and Kyungri stepped out. Her body was covered by the blanket.

"It was warm in there." Kyungri said. "It was nice. What are you eating?"

"Ham sandwich." I said. "Kyungri, when can I go home?"

"I don't know. I haven't decided." She said. "I'll be waiting inside. It's too bright out here." She handed me my blanket, then she ran off inside the abandoned school quickly.

I finished eating my sandwich and put the blanket back in the car before locking it, then I entered the school. Kyungri was waiting for me.

"Where are your friends?" I asked.

"They left last night after you fell asleep." She said as we walked.

We found ourselves in an English room. We sat down on the desks and silence fell for a while until I spoke up.

"Kyungri... I over heard them talking to you last night when I was sleeping, I woke up for a minute and... Who was the human you loved?" I asked nervously, looking up at her.

"I haven't talked about her in a while... But I guess I can tell you." She sighed. "Her name was Eva. I met her when I went to France with Hyuna. Eva was only young when she died. I tried to save her, but I couldn't... She lived in a war zone. It was one of those world wars, I can't remember which one. I tried to bring her away from Europe, but she wouldn't leave her family. I stayed with her until the Germans came and attacked. I loved her so much. I wish I could've saved her... Hyuna told me I shouldn't have been in love with a human, but she was perfect. She knew what I was but that didn't stop her from loving me. I gave her the best last years of her life, that's what she told me when I got her out of the burning building, then she died in my arms."

I looked at Kyungri. She was looking down at the ground, her eyes filling up with tears.

"I'm sorry... I'm sure she'd be glad that you're doing okay without her." I said, then I got up and wrapped my arms around her tightly. Her body stiffened up, then slowly she returned the hug, softening in my arms.

"I haven't been hugged in so long..." She whispered, hiding her face against my shoulder.

"I can hug you for as long as you need me to. I'm your friend now, Kyungri. You don't have to be alone." I mumbled reassuringly, patting her back gently.

We stayed hugging each other in silence for a good hour. She pulled away first, smiling.

"Thanks Jieun. I really needed that. It's been so long since I had a hug with someone, I feel so much better." She said, then paused for a moment before continuing. "Jieun, if I were to leave Gonam Middle School, where do you think I should go?"

"I don't know. I don't think you should leave, because how will I find you again?" I asked, frowning.

"I'd stay in Korea. I'd write you letters and maybe I'd come to your house." She said.

"You won't want to come to my house... I live in the middle of Seoul in an apartment with my brother." I said.

"I think I'll stay here for a little bit, but I'll have to move on soon. I saw some men walking around the other day talking about demolishing the school." She said, sighing. "I don't want them to demolish my school. I already know your address. I read your mind. I'm sorry. I just needed to remember it."

"They say this is the corridor where they dragged the murderer down, and in one of these rooms they chained her to the ground..."

Kyungri looked around. "Ugh.. More explorers."

"Here's the first room, 20B-- It looks like there's someone in there..."

"Yes, I'm in here, idiot. Don't film me." Kyungri hissed at the man who was stood with a camera peering at us through the glass. The man quickly left.

"Kyungri, I'm really hungry... A sandwich isn't enough for me." I mumbled as my stomach rumbled loudly.

"You can go home, Jieun. Come visit me though. Doesn't matter if it's in a few days or weeks, just promise you'll come back. Or maybe I'll come and visit you." She said, standing up.

"I promise I'll come back. We can see each other again." I said, then we left the room and walked through the deserted, dark corridors together.

We reached the entrance again.

"I'll see you soon, Jieun."

"Yeah, see you soon, Kyungri."

I left the school and walked back to my car. I saw Kyungri stood in the doorway of the old school, watching me leave. I didn't want to leave, but I had to look after myself. I started the car, waved to her and then drove off. "I'll come back" I told myself. "Soon".

 

A few weeks passed. I got caught up in work and couldn't visit. It was 3 in the morning when my brother, Jonghyun, came in, grumbling angrily.

"Your friends are weird. One of them just turned up now... It's 3 in the morning, I don't know what she thinks she's doing." He muttered, then walked off.

A few seconds later, Kyungri entered the room.

"Hi Jieun! Did I wake you up?" She asked, grinning.

"Kyungri... Why are you here?" I asked, sitting up slowly.

"I told you I'd come visit you!" She said, sitting on the edge of my bed. "I'm sorry it's so late, but I couldn't be seen or they'd arrest me."

"But you left the school..." I looked up at her, rubbing my eyes.

"My friends Kevin and Sojin are looking after it for me. They're staying for a few days." She said, then she lay down next to me and smiled. "So, how have you been?"

"Oh.. I see. I've been okay. Work got really busy over these last few weeks. I was going to visit you, but I was just so busy." I said, looking at her. "I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I knew you'd be busy. That's why I came to visit you now." She said. "I missed you."

"I missed you too. You shouldn't stay for long, the sun's going to start rising in a few hours." I said, patting her head gently.

"I don't want to leave though. It feels like we haven't spoken in ages! Your apartment is really weird. It looks like the future." She mumbled, looking around.

"Kyungri, can I ask, what year do you think it is?" I looked at her.

"It's 1996." She said.

"No. It's 2015." I said.

She gasped. "Oh my god. No way. We're really in the future!"

"You're so silly." I said, laughing.

"Am not~" She whined, pouting at me.

There was a loud bang against the wall, then a yell.

"SHUT UP! I'M TRYING TO SLEEP!"

"He doesn't sound nice." Kyungri said, frowning.

"My brother is just grumpy." I said. "Just ignore him."

Kyungri smiled and looked around the room. She got up from my bed and went over to my desk.

"What's this?" She asked, holding up a piece of paper with writing all over it.

"It's a song I'm writing." I said. "It's someone's feelings to a girl who is really pretty."

"It looks good." She said, then she pointed to my guitar. "Can you play it for me?"

"Uh.. It's not complete, but okay." I said.

She passed my guitar over along with the sheets for the song and I began to play. It was a soft, happy, peaceful song. Kyungri watched me, smiling and swaying. When I finished, she just stared at me for a while with a big smile on her face.

"I like it a lot. You should be a famous singer." She said, patting my shoulder.

"I don't think I'd like being a celebrity. I like time to myself too much." I said, putting my guitar and music sheets away.

"Jieun, can I stay in your house for a while? Can you drive me home later?" Kyungri asked, flopping down on my bed again.

"Sure, I'm not working today so we can spend some time together, but please let me go back to sleep... I haven't had a good sleep in weeks." I said, crawling under the covers of my bed again.

"Okay. I'll just read a book." She said, then she sat on the floor and grabbed a nearby book as I slowly drifted off back to sleep.

 

"Jieun! Shower now!"

My brother's voice woke me up. I sat up. Kyungri was nowhere to be seen. I assumed she'd gone home in the night, so I got up and went to the bathroom. I took my pyjamas off and had a short shower, then I got out, wrapped a towel around myself and went back to my room to dry off. I dropped the towel and leant down to get some clothes when I heard Kyungri's voice behind me.

"Hi Jieun! Your wardrobe is very comfy--- Oh."

"Don't look!" I squealed, trying to cover myself with the shirt I had in my hands.

"I'm not looking, I'm facing the wall now." Kyungri said.

I peered behind me and she was indeed facing the wall. I quickly got dressed and tapped her back.

"You can turn around now. I just need to put some makeup on and then we can get breakfast and I can take you back to Gonam." I said, smiling.

After getting ready and then eating breakfast, I told my brother we were leaving. We took the elevator down to the car park and then got in my car. I took the blanket from the back and handed it to Kyungri.

"It'll be bright out." I said.

We spent most of the journey in silence, but I felt her eyes on me from under the blanket. When we finally arrived at the abandoned school, it was apparent that there had been people here.

"I bet it's Kevin and Sojin, they probably invited all their friends over, even though I told them not to.." Kyungri sighed, putting the blanket back in the car before we both got out and entered the school.

It wasn't long before we came across Kyungri's friends.

"Kyungri, you're back!" The girl, Sojin, squealed.

"Moon came looking for you by the way. We told her where you'd gone, but she just sighed and went somewhere else." The boy, Kevin, said.

"Is this the human you went to see?" Sojin asked, looking at me.

"Yes." Kyungri said. "Don't you two have a meeting to be at or something?"

Kevin gasped. "Yeah, we do actually, and we're going to be late. Come on, Sojin." He grabbed Sojin's wrist and started walking, both of them waved goodbye.

"They're dating." Kyungri said. "I told Sojin not to, Kevin's an idiot."

"He seems nice though.." I started, but Kyungri sighed.

"They all seem nice at first, then you realise how stupid some of them are. I've known Kevin and Sojin for quite a long time. I think it'll be fourty years soon. But of course I've known Hyuna for longer. I wonder where she went." Kyungri suddenly stopped and closed her eyes, then after a minute or two she opened them again. "She's close."

We started walking until we made it to the drama room where I first got to know Kyungri. We found Hyuna sitting by herself reading a book.

"Kyungri, we need to talk privately." Hyuna said as soon as she looked up. "Come with me. We'll be back soon, Jieun."

Kyungri frowned, then followed Hyuna. I was left alone in the room. I sat down on one of the old chairs and looked around.

"Hyunjoo, watch what you're doing-- Oh my god who is that."

 I looked around to the door. Two women were stood there staring at me.

"...Kyungri's human?" The woman asked.

"Uhm... I'm Kyungri's friend." I said timidly as they approached.

"You're pretty. Kyungri said you were pretty." She said. The other woman just nodded, seeming to be in her own world.

"Well, I don't think I'm that pretty--" I started.

"Of course you're pretty! Anyway, I'm Euaerin, this is Hyunjoo. Hyunjoo doesn't listen to anyone." The woman, Euaerin, said.

"I do listen!" The other woman, Hyunjoo, protested.

"You don't! I told you that one time not to move and you did and you almost got hit by a car! And that time we were in Africa and I told you to stay inside and you didn't then you came back and said you'd been burned! God, Hyunjoo!" Euaerin pulled the taller woman back. "Just keep still for once!"

"I'm not doing anything!" Hyunjoo squealed, then she sat on the floor.

"Anyway, do you know where Kyungri is?" Euaerin asked.

"She went to talk with Hyuna about something. They'll be back soon." I said.

"Okay, we'll just wait here. Kyungri said she wanted to talk to me, so I put my trip to Europe on hold." Euaerin said, then she sighed as Hyunjoo got up and left the room, only to run in again seconds later with Kyungri and Hyuna following her.

"Please keep your child under control, Euaerin." Hyuna said.

"I'm not a child..." Hyunjoo grumbled.

"Euaerin, let's talk now!" Kyungri said, quickly pulling Euaerin out of the room, leaving me with Hyuna and Hyunjoo.

"Hi Hyuna." Hyunjoo said. "Are you coming to the meeting this year?"

"Hyunjoo, now isn't the time to talk about that." Hyuna said, glaring at Hyunjoo.

"I was just asking. I'd love to see you there for once. People have been asking about you." Hyunjoo continued, despite Hyuna's evil glares.

"Hyunjoo. Stop talking." Hyuna hissed.

"But it's not like the human is going to go to the meeting even if I told her where it was!" Hyunjoo whined.

Euaerin and Kyungri returned. Kyungri came and sat down next to me whilst Euaerin grabbed Hyunjoo and pulled her up.

"We're leaving now. It was a lovely few minutes we all spent together and I'm sure I'll remember it forever. Say bye, Hyunjoo." Euaerin said.

"Bye!" Hyunjoo squeaked, then they were gone.

"I should be leaving soon too. Are you sure you aren't coming, Kyungri?" Hyuna asked, looking at the younger vampire.

"When have I ever wanted to go to that wretched place after what happened the first time?" Kyungri sighed, looking down.

"Things are different now. I'm sure everyone would be glad to see you." Hyuna said. "But if you're really not coming, then okay. Please remember what I said to you earlier though. I don't want a repeat of what happened with the last girl." She then got up and walked to the door. "Bye, have fun." Then she was gone.

As soon as the door closed, Kyungri hugged me tightly and started to cry.

"Oh, what's wrong?" I asked, hugging back.

"Hyuna thinks I'm foolish for having you as a friend... She thinks that I'll hurt myself again... But it's not true... I can't tell her that though, because she's gone to Europe for that stupid meeting and now I might not see her for years!" Kyungri sobbed loudly, hiding her face against my shoulder.

"I don't think you're foolish. It's up to you who you choose to have as your friend. I just happen to be a human. I know I won't live as long as you, but we're going to be good friends until the end. I'll make sure of it. When I'm an old lady in my rocking chair, you can come visit me and you won't look a day over twenty one." I said, her hair slowly. "You're not foolish at all, Kyungri. You won't hurt yourself."

I felt her smiling against my shoulder which made me smile too. She pulled away after a while and looked up at me with a big grin. "Thanks Jieun. I feel a lot better now. But..." She looked away shyly, mumbling. "There's something I want to do." Then she started to lean closer. I didn't know what was going on until she closed her eyes and wrapped her arms around me tightly. Her lips were inches away from mine until the door swung open and a girl ran in.

"Kyungri, my dear child--- Oh god, I've interrupted something again, I'm so sorry, I do this every time, literally did this to Hyuna a few weeks ago, she almost killed me. Oh my god I'm so sorry. Don't hurt me. I swear I didn't mean to."

Kyungri sighed and pulled away. We both looked up at the new person. She was a woman with red hair. I knew she was probably a vampire.

"No, it's okay Sera." Kyungri said. "You didn't interrupt anything, I promise."

"Well, I'm very glad about that. I saw Euaerin and Hyunjoo and Hyuna on my way here. Did they come to see you?" Sera asked, sitting next to Kyungri.

"Yeah. They were all here. They didn't stay for long though, they're off to Europe. Aren't you going too?" Kyungri asked.

"I can't. I'm injured. I wouldn't be much good there." Sera said, holding up her left hand which was in a bandage. "I was fighting with this werewolf girl. She bit me and it got infected. It'll be okay soon-- Did I say something weird? Your human looks scared."

"...Jieun?" Kyungri peered at me.

"I didn't know werewolves were a thing!" I stared at them both.

"Oh.. I didn't tell you. Werewolves are real. They're enemies of vampires. There's not as many of them as there are as us, but they're very violent and want to kill us all." Kyungri explained.

"How could you not tell her?!" Sera gasped, hitting Kyungri's arm gently.

"I forgot! My memory isn't so good!" Kyungri whined.

"I'm older than you though, how can your memory be worse than mine?" Sera chuckled.

"It just is." Kyungri grumbled, folding her arms.

"Anyway, this werewolf girl was quite close to here. I'd watch out if I were you." Sera said, holding her injured hand close.

"I don't think I'll stay here for long. I'm going to find somewhere new to live." Kyungri said. "There are plans to demolish the school, so I've got to find somewhere."

Sera was about to speak, but was interrupted when Hyuna ran in, her arm covered in blood.

"There's.. A werewolf.. She bit me.. Euaerin and Hyunjoo managed to kill her but.. It hurts so much.." Hyuna suddenly collapsed on the floor.

"Hyuna!" Sera gasped, running over to her. "Kyungri, we need to clean the wound and cover it with something. Human, help!"

"I.. I think I've got bandages in my car." I said, then I got up and ran as fast as I could to my car.

I saw Euaerin and Hyunjoo at the entrance of the school with the body of the slain werewolf.

"Kyungri's human! Go back inside!" Euaerin yelled.

"I need bandages for Hyuna, she's hurt!" I yelled back, quickly pulling the first aid kit out of my bag, then I ran back inside to the drama room where Sera and Kyungri surrounded Hyuna's lifeless body.

Sera held out her hands for the first aid kit. "Give. I know what to do."

I handed it to her and watched as she put some gloves on and started to clean the wound with an antiseptic wipe. She put a bandage over it and then sat Hyuna up.

"Hyuna, wake up." Kyungri said, shaking the older vampire gently.

Hyuna groaned quietly, slowly opening her eyes. She glanced at Sera, then at Kyungri, then at me.

Suddenly, Euaerin and Hyunjoo ran in.

"We need to leave, now. There's more of them, I can sense them!" Euaerin yelled. "I'll carry Hyuna!"

We all got up, Euaerin picked Hyuna up and we ran.

"We can go in my car, that'll get us away quickly!" I said.

We reached outside and I unlocked the car quickly. Everyone got in, Kyungri was in the front and Sera, Hyunjoo and Euaerin were in the back with Hyuna lying across them. I drove away as quickly as I could.

"So, where are we going, Kyungri's human?" Euaerin asked.

"She's not my human, she's called Jieun." Kyungri said, frowning.

"We... We can go to my apartment. It's safe there." I said, letting out a sigh of relief as we reached the highway. We wouldn't get hurt here.

"Vehicle.." Hyuna mumbled, looking around.

"Yes, Moonsies." Sera started, but was interrupted by Euaerin.

"Moonsies? What kind of a name is that?" Euaerin snorted.

"She's my Moonsies, isn't that right, Moonsies?" Sera looked down at Hyuna, who just simply smiled and nodded.

"When's the wedding?" Hyunjoo suddenly asked.

"We're not married, idiot." Sera said, looking over at Hyunjoo.

"But you should get married." Hyunjoo said, nodding.

"Moonsies, did you want to get married?" Sera asked, looking down at Hyuna who was looking up at her with a dazed expression.

"I don't know.." Hyuna said, then she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

"How far away is your apartment?" Euaerin asked.

"Like... Maybe an hour? Depends on the traffic." I said. "I have a brother. I don't know if he'll be home, but don't disturb him."

I turned the radio on and that seemed to fascinate everyone so I could focus on driving. We reached my apartment in just under an hour and took the elevator up. My brother was in his room. We quickly put Hyuna down on the couch and then everyone sat around her.

"Wow, what's this?!" Hyunjoo gasped, pointing to the TV.

"That's a television, idiot." Euaerin sighed. "You really don't know anything."

"..Turn it on!" Hyunjoo suddenly squealed.

I quickly switched it on and gave the remote to Euaerin, since she didn't seem to want Hyunjoo to have it. We ended up watching the news.

"Today marks twenty five years since Gonam Middle School was hit by a disease after twelve students were murdered by their fellow student, Park Kyungri."

"God, just what I need to see..." Kyungri sighed, shaking her head.

"I like how they had to draw a picture of you because the cameras didn't work on you." Euaerin giggled.

"Jieun! I'm going to the-- Jieun, come here!" It was my brother, Jonghyun. He didn't have a shirt on. Euaerin stared at him. Hyunjoo giggled and mumbled something like "s" and Sera covered her eyes whilst Kyungri kept watching the TV.

I went over to him and he took me into his room.

"I can explain." I said.

"Where the hell are all these women coming from?!" He yelled, glaring at me. "You know you're not allowed too many guests!"

"I didn't plan for them all to come... It's just, one of them got hurt. I need to keep her somewhere safe. The rest of them were being hunted by someone. They'll be gone soon, I promise." I said, looking up at him desperately.

"I want them gone by tomorrow." He said, then he put a shirt on and left.

I returned to the living room and sat down.

"Someone's in trouble." Hyunjoo said. "s isn't happy."

"Oh my god, Hyunjoo. You can't call her brother that!" Euaerin sighed.

"He's mad because I have too many people over." I said, sighing. "So some of you have to go soon."

"Well, Hyunjoo and I need to go to Europe. I don't think it'd be wise for Hyuna to come. Sera, are you going?" Euaerin asked.

"I can't. I'm injured too. I got attacked by a werewolf too." Sera said, holding up her injured hand.

"Kyungri, are you going to Europe?" Euaerin asked.

"No. I'm staying to look after Hyuna." Kyungri said.

"Well, we might as well get going now, Hyunjoo, since we're both pretty much ready." Said Euaerin, standing up. "See you all soon." Then she left with Hyunjoo following.

Eventually, Hyuna woke up again. She was in a lot of pain, so we gave her some medication and then carried her to my bed. I decided that Sera and Hyuna could sleep in there, whilst Kyungri and I would sleep in the living room. So, it was late night and it was just me and Kyungri in the living room.

"...Do you want me to continue with what I wanted to do earlier?" Kyungri asked, looking away shyly.

"Well, if you want to, then okay.." I mumbled, also looking away.

Kyungri slowly wrapped her arms around me again and started to lean closer. This time, I began to lean closer too, holding her body close. It wasn't long before our lips met for the first time and we kissed. It felt wonderful. I felt happy. And I knew Kyungri was happy too. It was all going well, until Sera came in.

"Hey girls-- Oh my god I've done it again. I'm so sorry. You don't even know how awkward I am right now. I feel like dying. Hyuna needs a drink. I'll get it quick and then you can carry on." Sera quickly rushed into the kitchen and got a drink for Hyuna whilst Kyungri and I looked away awkwardly, both of us as red as tomatoes.

Sera left again quickly. Kyungri looked at me and we both laughed, then we curled up together under my blanket and fell asleep. I was happy. She was happy. I didn't know what this other strange feeling was though. It made me feel all fuzzy inside. I'd never felt it before. I'd have to ask Sera, or Kyungri when I woke up. I had a suspicion to what it could be... But could it really be love?