5

The Gonam Middle School Vampire

We were told we shouldn't leave until Sera was fully healed which would take a week or more. So, we all watched as the other vampires left. Only a few stayed behind to clear up after the event or to care for the injured. One day, I was bored of sitting around, so I went for a walk through the tunnels of the mountain. I found myself wandering into a room full of showers. There was only one person in there. I suddenly stopped and hid behind the wall when I realised it was Kyungri. I stood watching her for a while, until there was a cough behind me. I turned around. It was Euaerin.

"You shouldn't spy on her." Euaerin said. "Go join her."

She quickly handed me a towel then pushed me out. This time, there was no hiding because Kyungri had seen me.

"Hi Jieun." Kyungri said with a smile as I approached. "Come quick whilst the water is warm."

I undressed, suddenly feeling very shy. I folded my clothes up and put the towel on top of them, then I joined Kyungri under the water.

"How long have you been here?" I asked, beginning to wash myself.

"Only a few minutes." She said, then she started to kiss me.

It was when her lips began to reach my s that someone walked in. I had my eyes closed.

"This is a shower room, you know."

Kyungri pulled away quickly. I opened my eyes and saw it was Hyuna. She was with Sera.

"I know it is." Kyungri said, then she pulled me away from the two into a private shower area.

"Why are we over here?" I asked, frowning.

"So we can continue. Nobody will come over here." Kyungri said with a grin, then she continued with her earlier actions.

 

A few hours later, I had managed to find my way out of the mountain with Euaerin and Kyungri.

"We'll find you someone to feed from, since you've not done it before." Euaerin said. "There's a hotel nearby apparently, so we'll go there."

We walked for a while, Kyungri holding my hand tightly, until we found the small hotel in the middle of nowhere. We managed to sneak inside and Kyungri quietly picked the lock of one of the hotel rooms. She opened it slowly and pointed to the sleeping person inside, mouthing the word "Feed" at me. I entered quietly and looked at the sleeping man before me. I leaned closer to his wrist and made a small cut before feeding from him for about five minutes. I healed the cut quickly as he began to move and left the room, closing the door behind myself. Euaerin and Kyungri looked at me.

"That was good for a young vampire." Kyungri said, pecking my cheek.

"When I was first changed, I always woke the people I fed from up. They didn't appreciate it." Euaerin said. "You did a good job."

We left the hotel quickly and then we walked for a while. It was all okay until we heard two voices. We all looked around, then we saw two figures also walking together. Euaerin watched them for a while, then spoke.

"It's Sera and Hyuna."

"Can we follow them?" Kyungri asked. "Like... It'll train Jieun up to be stealthy, that's what I mean."

"I know it's because you just want to see what they're doing, but it's fine. We can follow them, since I want to know too." Euaerin laughed, then we carried on.

We found ourselves sneaking behind the pair walking. Because our hearing was very good, we could hear everything they were saying.

"I'm glad you're better now, Sera. I was so scared to lose you." Hyuna said, pulling Sera closer.

"You know I'm strong, Hyuna. I wouldn't die so easily." Sera said, leaning in to kiss the older girl's cheek.

They kept walking for a while, then Hyuna stopped. We all hid behind a tree, watching the two.

"Sera, I want to leave here. Just us two though." Hyuna said.

"But how will the others get back?" Sera asked.

"Euaerin and Hyunjoo can keep them safe. Kyungri and Minha can look after themselves too, Jieun will just have to learn from them." Hyuna said, shrugging. "We all have to learn somewhere."

"But Jieun is only young. Euaerin and Hyunjoo aren't as strong as we are. And I know Minha and Kyungri can look after themselves, but what if they get attacked by werewolves? How will they know what to do?" Sera let out a soft sigh. "I don't think it's a good idea to leave them."

"They will all learn. Sera, stop worrying about them. Euaerin and Hyunjoo have killed a werewolf together before." Hyuna said. "We can't stay in a pack forever."

They began walking again, so we followed. It was going well, until my foot got caught on something and I fell, letting out a small yelp. Everyone stopped, including Sera and Hyuna.

"There's someone following us." Sera said, looking around.

They both began looking around. In that time, Kyungri picked me up and we ran off with Euaerin keeping us shrouded in the darkness with her cloak.

"You did okay." Euaerin said to me. "But try not to fall over next time."

"I know... I'll try." I said, smiling as Kyungri hugged me tightly.

"Well, isn't that lovely." A voice said.

We all turned around. Before us stood the werewolf we saw on our way here.

"What do you want?" Euaerin asked, sighing.

"I'm bored. Looking for a fight before I travel back to Korea. Not many vampires wanted to fight with me this year. I'm disappointed." The werewolf said. "Any of you up for a fight? Or do I have to start it myself?"

"We aren't looking for a fight." Kyungri said. "So go away."

Suddenly, the werewolf lunged at us. But a figure quickly dashed in front of us, pushing the werewolf away. I tried to see who it was, but my vision wasn't that good yet. The werewolf and the figure, who I assumed to be a vampire, fought viciously until the werewolf ran off, clearly injured. The figure fell to the ground. We approached, and it was only then that we realised who it was. It was Hyunjoo.

"Oh god... Hyunjoo, what were you thinking?" Euaerin let out a small sob, holding her wounded friend close.

"Needed... To save you all..." Hyunjoo said weakly. "Sorry..."

"No, don't apologise, it's okay... You were very brave, Hyunjoo." Euaerin said, managing to smile even though she was crying.

"Euaerin... Am I dying?" Hyunjoo asked.

"I don't know.." Euaerin sighed. "I don't want you to die, but we're far away from the mountain."

"I... I think I'm dying..." Hyunjoo said, managing a laugh depsite the pain she was in.

"We'll stay with you, maybe someone will come by to help." Kyungri said, then we both sat down next to the two.

We ended up talking for a while, then Hyunjoo began to struggle to stay awake.

"It hurts..." Hyunjoo gasped.

"Hyunjoo, we can sing for you, it'll make you feel okay." Kyungri said, smiling. "Jieun wrote a song."

"Song.." Hyunjoo whispered, then nodded. "Sing."

I cleared my throat before beginning the song. To my surprise, Kyungri joined in. We sang for a while, watching as life slowly faded away from Hyunjoo until she took her last breath as the song ended.

"She's gone." Euaerin said, then she burst into tears, hugging the body of her friend tightly.

"We need to take her back to the mountain." Kyungri said quietly, gently tugging Euaerin's hand. "Everyone can say goodbye to her there."

Euaerin nodded, then stood up, holding Hyunjoo's body. We walked in silence all the way back to the mountain. We carried her to the place where they sent the bodies to a place called the afterworld. Kyungri was sent to find everyone and in a few minutes, she was back with Sera, Hyuna and Minha. We watched as Euaerin placed Hyunjoo's body into the water, then mumbled blessings for Hyunjoo in the afterworld as her body floated off into the darkness, then she was gone. We walked back to the sleeping quarters together and sat in silence. Everyone was too shocked about Hyunjoo's sudden death. It had been silent for almost two hours, when Sera decided to break the silence.

"We're travelling back to Korea tomorrow. All of you will come with us." She said.

Nobody disagreed. The sun was showing through the cracks of the walls, so everyone got into their beds and fell asleep.

 

It was an early start. The sun had just began to set as we left the mountain. Sojin and Kevin had joined us for the journey back. Euaerin was still clearly upset about the death of her friend.

"How long will it take us to get back?" I asked Kyungri.

"Hm... A few weeks, maybe a month." She said, squeezing my hand tightly.

"Oh... Okay." I said, nodding slowly.

"We can teach you things. I don't know if Euaerin would still be up for it, but I'm sure Minha could help us." Kyungri said, smiling.

We travelled all night and managed to leave Italy. Hyuna told us all we were going to run for a while, then we would stop for the night. I'd been taught how to run as fast as the others by Euaerin, so Kyungri didn't need to carry me. We ran at the fast pace for a few hours and saved a lot of time, then as the sun began to rise, we set our tents up and fell asleep inside them.

The same happened for weeks and weeks, until we finally arrived back in Korea.

"Since we're all back where we need to be, we can split up now." Hyuna said. "Keep safe, everyone."

The pack began to split up. Sera and Hyuna went off one way, Minha went the other way, Kevin and Sojin waited for a moment, then they also left. It was just me, Kyungri and Euaerin.

"I'm staying with you two." Euaerin said quickly.

"Yeah, but we don't have anywhere to go." Kyungri said, sighing. "They knocked my school down."

"We can search for an abandoned building for you to stay in?" I suggested.

"I guess so, but we can't be seen, since I'm a wanted criminal and you've probably been reported as missing." Kyungri said.

"And I'm just me." Euaerin said, laughing.

We searched for days. Eventually, we came across an abandoned block of apartments in Seoul. However, when we entered there was a poster on one of the walls.

"HAVE YOU SEEN THIS GIRL?"

Below was a picture of me, with my brother's phone number and address.

"Can we take this down?" I asked. "I don't want to look at it."

"Sure, if that's what you want to do." Kyungri said.

As the weeks passed, we made ourselves at home. We found furniture that had been thrown out and put it inside one of the abandoned apartments. We had beds, a couch, tables, chairs, almost everything a normal apartment had. One day, Kyungri and Euaerin were sleeping. I wanted to see my brother. I was sick of seeing posters in Seoul about me being missing. I found my way to the apartment where he lived and knocked on the door. A minute later, my brother answered the door.

"Jieun! Where have you been?!" He gasped.

"I can't tell you. I also can't stay for long." I said as he pulled me inside. "Can we close the curtains?"

"Why do you want to close the curtains?" He asked.

"The sun hurts me." I simply replied.

He closed the curtains, then we sat down together on the couch.

"I've been so worried, Jieun. I thought you were never coming back. I'm never letting you out of my sight again." He said, hugging me tightly.

I sighed, hugging back. "You have to let me go soon. My friends will wake up soon and wonder where I am."

"What friends?" He asked. "Is it that girl you were with before? Why didn't you tell me she was a murderer?"

"Kyungri won't hurt me.." I started.

"You aren't going back to her." He said sternly.

"She loves me though." I said. "You need to let me go back to her. I only came here to tell you I'm alive and everything is fine."

"You're my sister. The only family I have left in Seoul. I can't let you go. What would our parents think if I let you go with a murderer?" He sighed, shaking his head.

"Kyungri loves me. I love her too. She is my family." I said, standing up. "I need to go now."

"No." He suddenly grabbed me. "You aren't going."

"Jonghyun. I have to." I said.

"No." He said.

I managed to escape his grip, but he ran in front of the door.

"Let me out."

"No."

I tried to push him out of the way, but he wouldn't move. Suddenly, I found myself growing angry and impatient. I roughly tugged him out of the way. He fell and hit his head. He didn't get up. He was bleeding. Because of me... I found his phone and dialled the number for emergency services. I told them the address and that I needed an ambulance for my brother. Before they could arrive and question me, I left and returned to my home, the apartment I shared with Kyungri and Euaerin and I went back to bed for the rest of today. I was woken up by the radio several hours later.

"A man, Lee Jonghyun, who was only twenty five years old, was found dead in his apartment today after a call to the emergency services was made by a female, the voice matching Lee Jieun, his sister who had been reported missing earlier this year. The death is being treated as suspicious and police are searching for Jieun. If she is seen, please call the police and tell them."

"Jieun." Euaerin looked at me. "Did you go to see him today?"

I nodded.

"What happened?" Kyungri asked.

"I told him I was okay and I couldn't stay. He didn't want me to go... I pushed him out of the way and he hit his head. I called an ambulance for him, then I left. I didn't want anyone to see me." I said, sighing. "He died..."

"I told you it'd be dangerous to go back." Kyungri said. "I was expecting something bad to happen."

"I didn't mean to hurt him." I said. "I just wanted him to stop worrying about me..."

I started to cry. Kyungri and Euaerin both came closer and hugged me.

"It'll be okay soon." Euaerin tried to reassure me.

But I knew it wouldn't. I'd killed my brother. I was a murderer. He was dead because of me.

 

A week later, it was his funeral. I went, but stayed hidden. I watched from behind a tree as they buried him in the coffin. My entire family were there. I heard them talking.

"Jieun would never hurt him."

"They were best friends."

"It was an accident, surely."

I waited until they all left, then I walked over to his grave and knelt down next to it, pulling my hood down.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do it... I can't forgive myself, Jonghyun."

I began to cry again. It was all my fault. He was gone because of me. I would've stayed for longer, but I heard footsteps approaching, so I hid in the shadows again and saw my parents approach his grave.

"We will miss you, our dear son. You made us proud." My father said. My mother was too upset to talk.

They walked off together, that's when I heard my mother speak.

"We have to find Jieun." She said.

I shook my head. "You don't. I don't want to be found." I whispered, then I left the graveyard.

I spent all night walking around without an aim. Eventually I found a bar and drank until I could barely stand. I was stumbling around the streets when Euaerin and Kyungri found me and brought me back to the apartment. I can't remember what happened after that, because I was too drunk to feel anything. I wanted to feel numb. I wanted to forget what I had done.