4

The Gonam Middle School Vampire

"Everybody up!"

It was dark outside, meaning we'd probably be travelling again. Everyone left their tents, still looking quite sleepy. Hyunjoo still looked like she was asleep. The only people who looked fully awake was Sera and Hyuna. We all helped to pack up the tents, then we carried on walking. It wasn't long before we came across someone who looked a bit lost.

"Are you okay?" Sera asked the girl.

"I.. I don't know where my master is. He said he was only going to be five minutes, but it's been four hours." The girl said, looking away shyly.

"I don't think it'd be safe for you to travel alone, your master might not return. You should come with us." Sera said.

"Are you sure?" The girl asked. "If you don't want to, then... I can just go by myself."

"You're coming with us. You look too young to be wandering around by yourself." Hyuna said.

The girl nodded. "Okay."

"I'm Sera." Said Sera, then she pointed at everyone and said their names. "And yours?"

"Keumjo." The girl said.

"Pretty." Hyunjoo said, smiling.

"You finally said something right!" Euaerin gasped.

We walked for a while, all of us talking to Keumjo. We found out she was only in her early eighties and had come to Europe for the meeting.

"How old are you?" Keumjo asked me.

"I don't know if vampire years are different, but I'm twenty two." I said.

"Really? That's so young. What are you doing here?" She asked, frowning.

"I came because one of my friends was coming." I said, then pointed to Kyungri who was talking to Euaerin and Minha. "I came because of her."

We kept walking until Hyuna suddenly stopped and looked around.

"Stay close. I can sense werewolves." She said.

Instantly, Keumjo and I were put in the middle of the pack. After a few minutes, Hyuna stopped again. A figure was walking towards us. It didn't look human, or vampire. The figure approached, then stopped in front of us.

"Well, look who it is." They said.

"Oh, not you again." Hyuna sighed.

"Haven't you missed me, Hyuna?" The werewolf asked, grinning.

Hyuna shook her head. "Not at all, Sungah."

"Bet you did really." The werewolf, apparently called Sungah, said. "Look at you all in your little pack. I see you've even managed to drag the Gonam Middle School killer out with you!"

"Leave her alone." Hyuna hissed.

"You've got the entire crew with you! You've got Hyunjoo who was probably dropped on her head and--" The werewolf was interrupted as Hyunjoo lashed out at her, grabbing her around the neck.

"I. Was. Not. Dropped. On. My. Head." Hyunjoo growled, her eyes turning red as she glared at the werewolf.

The werewolf gasped for breath. "Okay! Y-You weren't!"

Hyunjoo let go and went back to where she was stood before, but it was clear she was angry.

"And.. Let's see.." The werewolf took a deep breath, then kept looking at us. "You've even got two baby vampires with you. That's cute."

"Leave them alone." Hyuna said. "Go away."

But the werewolf took no notice and reached out for me.

"Don't even think about it." Kyungri said, glaring at the werewolf.

"Why? What are you going to do?" The werewolf asked, smirking.

"I'll hurt you. So don't touch her." Kyungri said.

"Pfft, yeah right." The werewolf laughed.

Her hand was just a few inches away from mine before Kyungri suddenly sprung into action, then a few seconds later, everyone else joined in, even Keumjo. The fighting only lasted a few seconds before the werewolf managed to escape. She looked to be heavily wounded.

"I'll be back, and when I am, you'll all regret this!" The werewolf yelled as she ran off into the darkness.

"I can sense more of them, we need to move quickly." Hyuna said.

Kyungri quickly put me on her back. Hyuna made sure Keumjo knew how to run at the same speed as the pack, then they started to run. I held onto Kyungri as tight as I could and I kept my eyes closed because it made me so dizzy. When I opened my eyes again, we were in front of a huge mountain. Kyungri put me down and we started to walk, trying to find the entrance so we could reach the place where the meeting would happen.

"We should be there soon." Sera said once we had been walking for about an hour.

"We better be, my legs are killing me..." Euaerin mumbled.

I didn't say anything, but I could barely walk. Suddenly, I was lifted up from behind and then was carried. I looked to see who it was. It was Hyunjoo.

"Tired legs." She said, patting my head.

"Yeah... My legs hurt a lot." I sighed.

I ended up falling asleep in Hyunjoo's arms. My body still wasn't used to being awake at night, even though I'd been travelling for weeks with Kyungri and Minha throughout the nights.

Eventually, I was woken up by Hyunjoo and Euaerin.

"Hyunjoo, you need to wake her up and put her down now."

"I don't want to. She is my child."

"She isn't your child. You've never had a child. Just put her down."

I opened my eyes and looked up at them.

"Hello, child!" Hyunjoo gasped happily, then she put me down and skipped away. Euaerin followed her.

I looked around. I saw Kyungri sat down at a table by herself. There weren't many people around. I went over and sat next to her.

"I'm scared, Jieun." Kyungri said, sighing. "I don't want to be part of the fighting."

"Well... Why don't you just hide? I'm going to hide when everyone fights." I said, reaching out to hold her hand.

"Where is there to hide though?" Kyungri asked.

"Uh... We can find somewhere!" I said, looking around.

Eventually, we got up and had something to eat. We saw Hyuna who told us the fighting would begin soon, so we found some tunnels and hid in them. It was quiet for a while, then we heard screams and lots of fighting in the huge mountain. I held onto Kyungri tightly, hoping nobody would find us.

"We should've asked when they stop fighting." Kyungri said, my hair slowly. "We could be in here for a while--" Kyungri suddenly stopped as footsteps approached. I closed my eyes tightly and hid my face against her chest.

"...Kyungri, what are you doing here?" I recognised the voice as one of Kyungri's friends, Sojin.

"I could ask you the same question." Kyungri said.

"I can't fight with them right now." She said, sitting down next to Kyungri. "Wait... Is that your human?" I knew she was referring to me.

"She's not a human anymore. Minha did it." Kyungri said, then she lifted my head up slowly. "Jieun, do you remember Sojin?"

"Yes." I mumbled quietly.

Sojin smiled. "She's cute."

"Anyway, why can't you fight?" Kyungri asked, my hair again.

"Well, I meant to tell you when I saw you at Gonam, but I forgot. I'm pregnant." Sojin said.

I felt Kyungri stiffen. "Pregnant?"

"Yes. It's Kevin's, before you ask." Sojin said. "Don't give me that look, Kyungri. You know I love him."

"Where is he?" Kyungri asked.

"He's out fighting." Sojin said, sighing. "Even though I told him not to get hurt."

"Do you know when the fighting ends?" I asked quickly.

"Hm... In about an hour, I think." Sojin said.

"Oh, that's good." Kyungri said.

We stayed sat in the tunnel together until a huge gong echoed throughout the mountain. All sounds of people fighting stopped. We could finally leave the tunnel. We all got up and walked until we found the main area. The bodies of the dead who were killed in the fighting were laid out for people to see. I prayed we wouldn't see anyone we knew. We started walking through the lines of the dead, mumbling our blessings to them, when suddenly Kyungri stopped.

"Oh... Keumjo..." She sighed.

I looked to the side. Keumjo had been killed in the fighting. She looked bruised and battered and covered in blood.

"Was she too young to fight?" I asked Kyungri.

"In my opinion, yes." Kyungri said. "You shouldn't do it unless you're strong and old enough."

We carried on walking. Soon, we came across another one of our friends who had died.

"Minha... She was young too." Kyungri said, looking down at the body of her slain friend. "But she would've wanted to die like this."

We kept walking and luckily we didn't see anymore bodies of the people we knew. We eventually found our way to the sleeping quarters and said bye to Sojin and found Hyuna with everyone else.

"Look! I'm missing a finger!" Hyunjoo yelled as we ran in and held up her hand. Her pinky was missing.

"She's been telling that to everyone..." Euaerin mumbled, holding an icepack to her face.

Sera was lying unconscious in the corner, she wasn't looking too well. Hyuna was sat with her.

"So, tell us. Who's dead?" Hyuna asked.

"Minha and Keumjo." Kyungri said, sitting down next to Euaerin.

"I knew Keumjo would die. She was too young to fight." Euaerin said.

"Minha? That's unusual." Hyuna said, frowning. "She never gets hurt... I can't believe she's dead."

"Hyuna.." Sera suddenly groaned. "My head hurts..."

"Don't move, okay? A medic will come soon." Hyuna said quietly, squeezing Sera's hand.

"My finger is missing!" Hyunjoo yelled to someone who was walking past.

"Ignore her!" Euaerin yelled quickly. "Hyunjoo, come sit down!"

Hyunjoo came back and sat on the floor next to me. She held her hand out.

"My finger is missing." She said with a big smile.

Soon, the sun started to come through the cracks in the wall. We all covered ourselves up with blankets and managed to fall asleep, but Hyuna stayed awake with Sera to make sure she was okay.

 

I woke up a few hours later when the sun had gone down. I looked around and everyone was still asleep but one person. I peered up at them. It looked like Minha... But how could it be? Minha was dead.

"...Who are you?" I suddenly asked.

"I'm Minha." Said the person.

"No you're not. Minha's dead." I said, frowning.

"I'm not dead. I lost a bet and had to pretend to be dead. Was it believeable?" She asked with a big grin.

"Yes. It was." Another voice said. Hyuna was awake. "It wasn't very nice. You scared me."

"Well, I'd rather pretend to be dead than have to walk around with no pants on for two years." Minha said, shrugging.

I looked around the room. I saw that Sera had gone. I frowned.

"Where's Sera?" I asked.

"The medics took her away. She's in a bad way. They said it's unlikely that she'll live." Hyuna said, sighing. "I'll miss her."

"Will they tell you if she's dead?" I asked, sitting up.

Hyuna nodded. "Sera wants me to find her brother and tell him what's going on. He's somewhere around here. If she dies, I'll need to know so I can tell him."

"I bet Sera will survive, she's very strong." Minha said with a reassuring smile.

"Yeah... I hope she will." Hyuna said, then she got up. "I'm going to see her." Then she left.

"Minha! I'm missing a finger!" Hyunjoo suddenly yelled.

"Bloody hell, right down my ear..." Euaerin grumbled.

"Let me see~" Minha giggled.

Hyunjoo held her hand out and smiled. "No pinky."

"That's impressive, Hyunjoo." Minha said, patting Hyunjoo's head.

I felt Kyungri move around next to me. She wrapped her arms around my waist and let out a small sigh, still deep asleep.

"Hyunjoo, you woke me up." Euaerin sighed, sitting up.

"Sorry. I was just excited." Hyunjoo said, then she lay back down and fell back asleep.

"Where's Hyuna?" Euaerin asked.

"She's with Sera. They don't know if Sera's going to survive." I said.

"Oh.. Hyuna must be upset. Sera was her first apprentice, and they're together for life now apparently." Euaerin said.

"Is that why they're so close?" I asked.

Euaerin nodded. "They've been close for as long as I can remember. I've known them for a really long time. I think they've known each other for almost two hundred years. That's a friendship older than Kyungri." Euaerin stopped as Kyungri moved around, but didn't wake up. She continued. "How are things between you two?"

"Things are.. Just normal. We're good friends." I said, struggling on what to say.

"Just good friends? Did she not ask you to be her girlfriend yet?" Euaerin asked, frowning.

"N..No.. Why?" I asked, feeling my cheeks turn red.

"She really loves you. She says she's told you and you've told her too, but she's probably just too shy to ask." Euaerin said. "But with the way things are going, you'll both probably be close to death by the time she says something."

"Let them go as slow as they want, maybe Kyungri isn't ready to say anything yet." Minha said. "I think it's cute though."

Just then, Hyuna returned with Sera. Sera had somehow made a miraculous recovery and was walking around, still very wounded but better than she was before.

"I'm not going to die, which is good, so let's all go to breakfast." Sera said with a big smile.

Everyone got up apart from me and Kyungri.

"Are you coming?" Minha asked.

"I want to wait for her to wake up." I said, Minha nodded and left with the others.

A few minutes later, Kyungri woke up. She sat up slowly, looked at me and smiled. "Hi."

"Hello. Did you sleep well?" I asked.

She nodded. "Jieun... Sojin found a guitar, she said I should give it to you since you know how to play. Could you play me that song you sang when you were a human?"

"Of course, if you really want me to." I said with a smile.

Kyungri got up quickly and disappeared for a moment, then returned with a guitar. I got my bag and took my music sheets out. Kyungri gave me the guitar, then sat in front of me as I began to play and sing for her. She gazed at me happily and started to sway, smiling. When I finished the song, she took the guitar and music sheets away from me and quickly pressed her lips against mine, then pulled away and looked up at me.

"Jieun, I.. I love you. I want you to be my girlfriend. Will you?" She asked.

I nodded and smiled. "I will. I love you too, Kyungri."

Our lips met again and we kissed, hugging each other tightly.

"Did she finally ask?"

We pulled away. Euaerin was stood in the doorway.

"Yes, she did." I said with a big smile.

"Good. I think I'd have killed her if she didn't ask. Now, come on. You two need to eat." Euaerin said, then she pulled us up and we all walked to the meal together, with Kyungri and I finally together. I felt complete.