Day 8: Latch

Forty Percent True: Dog Days
Please log in to read the full chapter

Being able to dictate my own sleeping schedule at home means that I wake up closer to noon. Yugyeom doesn’t mind since he’s doing the same. For the past few nights he’s stayed up late at night to Skype with people in Seoul. I never ask if he talks with anyone from GOT7. Personally, I don’t want to be reminded of Jinyoung. The investigation should be finished and he hasn’t bothered to call me or text me, not any point since we went our separate ways.

I'm not sure if this is the best thing right now for us.

Maybe he was serious when he said that. Grace is right, I need to let this go.

It’s silent in the house when I wake up. Joey’s at school. Mom and Dad are working. The first thing I do is roll over to the nightstand where my phone is charging.

One voice mail.

I’m too groggy to put the phone to my ear, so I play the message on speaker.

“Hey Mark. It’s me, Jinyoung. I’m sorry for not messaging you… I’m at the airport right now. It turns out I’ll be flying to LA, thanks to my parents. I’ll be arriving at midnight. I was hoping you could pick me up when I get there… and we could spend the last week of our break, together. Anyways, I hope to see you soon. Take care.”

And I tell myself I’ve already dealt with him not coming here. I don’t need to deal with him changing his mind about it.

 

My breakfast is a slice of cold pizza from last night’s Star Wars marathon. I hold the slice between my jaws, freeing up my hands to brew some coffee. In that moment, Yugyeom stumbles into the kitchen.

“Mark, did you get a message from Jinyoung?”

I turn around to face him, pizza in mouth. He smiles sleepily, realizing I can’t talk.

“He told me to tell you. He’s coming at midnight.”

I set the coffee machine and tear the slice from my mouth.

“So when are we going to pick him up?”

“We’re not.” I reply, between chews.

“…What?”

“He can stay at a hotel or something. He’s not welcome here.”

Yesterday, we had planned to stay home and try out all the video games that Joey’s collected since I’ve been away. Right now I’m resolute on following through with that plan.

“Wanna play Mortal Kombat?”

 

Over the course of the afternoon, Yugyeom gets quieter and quieter. I switch up the games about four times, trying to keep things exciting. Yet with each passing bout, his button-pressing gets quieter. His reaction times get slower. He doesn’t talk much.

He eventually excuses himself altogether. “I’m going to take a nap.”

He exits the room without another sound. I continue on, relishing the fact that I can now leisurely enjoy the Story Mode of Call of Duty.

It’s about 5:00 when I check up on Yugyeom. The guest room door is wide open, and I see Yugyeom plugged into his laptop.

“I thought you were napping.”

“I couldn’t sleep.”

His eyes return to the screen.

“Hey, are you hungry?”

“No, I’m fine.” He replies, refusing to look up at me.

“Alright then, I’ll be going out to get some dinner then.”

Just as I turn around to leave, he calls for me.

“Mark, we need to talk.”

I poke my head back into his room. This time, he’s gotten out of bed.

“This is a mistake.”

“What is?”

“Jinyoung.”

I walk out of the room, wanting to end this confrontation. I don’t look back to the sound of footsteps following behind me.

“You don’t understand—

“Just drop it, Yugyeom.”

“Listen to me, hyung, please.”

I’m adamant in ignoring whatever Yugyeom has to say on the matter.

I'm not sure if this is the best thing right now for us.

I don’t want to come back to this ed up inner conflict that I’ve struggled with for the past week. I’ve already buried Jinyoung.

Then a raised voice shakes the air. “Hyung!”

I turn around to face Yugyeom. He’s terrified when his eyes meets my smoldering glare.

“Please, it’s my fault that this happened. If I didn’t tell the manager anything, Jinyoung would be here. I don’t understand why you aren’t mad at me—

“You want me to be mad at you?”

“If you want, then yes. Just don’t be mad at Jinyoung.”

“Don’t tell me what to do.”

“But I have to – I have to make things right.”

Yugyeom’s eyes look down at my hands. I then realize how tightly my fists are clenched. I’m as on-the-edge of something violent, as when that stranger passed by me and Grace at the theme park. Hence I close my eyes, and vent my frustration in a short yell. I then breathe deep and press my back against the cold corridor wall.

I open my eyes again and look at Yugyeom. His gaze is full of sorrow.

“Jinyoung didn’t say what he said at the airport because he doesn’t like you. He’s just as scared as you are about the investigation. But Jaebum says he’s been fighting for you, Mar

Please log in to read the full chapter