Day 7: Hold On We're Going Home

Forty Percent True: Dog Days
Please log in to read the full chapter

Donghyun was right about the internal investigator. So far she’s been very understanding, very patient. For the past two days, we’ve been going through the testimonies of everyone at the apartment, including our manager’s. Those not in Seoul had their testimony pre-recorded by Donghyun over Skype.

“When was the first time you realized you had feelings for the same ?” An older woman in a grey suit inquires.

“Since high school.” I reply.

She sits to the right of two other men, the recordkeepers. They're clad in similar attire, and remain silent except for the sound of pens travelling on their notepads. I sit across from them with Donghyun.

“Have you ever engaged in any ual activity?”

“No.”

“Have you ever been screened for ually transmitted diseases?”

“No.”

The older woman closes the folder of papers she’s been reading from.

“I apologize for the forwardness, Park Jinyoung. I know you realize the company will be investing more to uphold the new insurance agreement. The shareholders feel that this inquiry be as thorough as humanely possible.”

The woman smiles politely as a sign of good faith. I take a moment to scan the room once more. In the corner are Jackson, Jaebum and Seunghoon, along with my parents who came as a show of support. Sitting a small distance away, is the founder and owner of the company, JYP himself. According to Jackson, JYP’s kept the same concerned look throughout the majority of the inquiry.

The investigator accepts another folder from the recordkeepers. She opens it and flattens the crisp pages inside on the table surface.

“We would now like to hear your account, Mr. Park. What was the nature of your relationship with Mark Tuan?”

I take a long breath to steady myself, remembering to enunciate and not to rush.

“Sometimes we went downtown, and we’d just eat or watch a movie. Most of the times we stayed at the dorm and did those things.”

“I’m assuming because of the privacy.”

“Yes.”

“Why did you and Mark keep this a secret from your group members?”

“We were scared the group might react negatively if they knew the truth.”

“But you were wrong about that.” The woman raises an eyebrow to the fact.

“Yes, I was.”

I can’t help bit grin at the attention to that fact – the fact I’m fortunate being in a group that’s alright with me being me.

“How long did you maintain this relationship with Mark Tuan?”

“For about eight months.”

“And your confirm that this relationship has been terminated as of a week ago?”

“Yes it did.”

“Can you describe the reason for the termination of the relationship?”

“We… I was scared of what might happen after the investigation.”

“What were you scared of in particular?”

“That we’d be forced to separate.”

The investigator takes a pause, to allow her colleagues to finish writing. Once she’s done, she takes a deep breath and stare at me.

“Of what value was this relationship to you?”

“I—

I’m choking on words. I try calming myself and starting over but the uncertainty remains. The investigator stares on with all the politeness in the world, though I turn to Donghyun in the panic.

“I think my client is a little overwhelmed by the mentioning of the relationship having ended.”

He ruffles through his briefcase and pulls out a cassette tape. It’s old-fashioned technology, but then again so is Donghyun.

“If you don’t mind, Investigator, we can also listen to Mark’s testimony on the matter?”

“By all means.”

Donghyun bow

Please log in to read the full chapter